Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Complex Games; Frontier Developments; Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Many of our users have been understandably skeptical of Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, the Gray Knights tactical RPG announced earlier this year with two cinematic trailers in a row. Today's gameplay reveal thus seems to have been a particular revelation, because it doesn't look bad at all. The game looks like a violently gory cartoon but in a good way, with environmental destruction and a strategic space travel layer. The accompanying press release has more details:

Cambridge, UK – September 2021. Frontier Foundry, the games label of Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, ‘Frontier’), today offered players a first-look at gameplay for its turn-based tactical RPG Warhammer 40,000®: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, coming up on PC in 2022 in partnership with Warhammer 40,000 creator Games Workshop®.

Assemble your squad, shaping their abilities through an in-depth skill tree and class system, and customising each Knight to a level worthy of the Emperor’s blessing. Not only will your team build experience from each bloody encounter, but you will also invest resources into the advancement of your Strike Cruiser, ‘The Baleful Edict’ as you hunt the plague from system to system, severing the tendrils of Chaos before they can spread their foul corruption.

Set across a multitude of evolving maps including crumbling gothic cathedrals and daemon-infested factorums, utilise the battlefield itself to your advantage. Target plasma generators to throw enemies from their hiding spots in the darkness, or bring a crumbling pillar crushing down upon them. Whether you choose to strike down the warp-spawn up close or from afar, Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters adds a variety of new mechanics to the turn-based tactics genre.

Developed by Complex Games, Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters places players in command of a squad of Grey Knights, humanity’s greatest weapon, as they battle the forces of Chaos. In an epic new story composed by New York Times bestselling author, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, players will purge the daemonic in brutal turn-based combat as they seek a cure to a mysterious plague sweeping the worlds of the 41st millennium.

In October, players can expect to find more information on the source of this galactic threat, as the bloom begins to take hold...

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters will release on PC in 2022 on Steam and the Epic Games Store, published by Frontier Foundry, and is available to wishlist now.

Follow the game on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Visit the Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters official website at www.chaosgate.com.

What do you think, Codex? As mentioned, the next Daemonhunters update will be in October.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
That trailer made it look like some weird real time game. I had to look at the steam store page to realize that it's turn based. Either way. Looks neat.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Like most of new W40K it's completely spoiled by mobile low resolution, high contrast aesthetics. Wtf is this? Warcraft 3?

ss_e73423ffd0d21c44ec78468418933d13a60f7050.1920x1080.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Today's gameplay reveal thus seems to have been a particular revelation, because it doesn't look bad at all.

yeah i'm gonna need a citation on that

- space marines taking cover behind cardboard boxes
- "storm bolter - shoot a target at range 10 to deal 3 dmg"

into the trash it goes

If that game was made by the same dudes who made mechanicus game, it will be decent....

the only thing that mechanicus had going for it was the production values, as a tactics game it was terrible

Shadenuat

Arcane
So pretty close to how actual Kill Team plays in tabletop then. Everything is Obscuring, nobody can hit nobody due to minuses to hit, etc.

But yeah, yet another nu-Xcom(not).

GreyViper

Prophet
That moment when you see Grey Knight taking cover, something about that moment I find absolutely hilarious. Does give me a lot of nu-Xcom vibes. Honestly, thats what Firfaxis should have done Tau kill team with battlesuits instead of the Marvel one they did.

Humbaba

Arcane
Today's gameplay reveal thus seems to have been a particular revelation, because it doesn't look bad at all.

into the trash it goes

If that game was made by the same dudes who made mechanicus game, it will be decent....

the only thing that mechanicus had going for it was the production values, as a tactics game it was terrible

The whole thing really does just look like XCOM: Gay Knights Edition. Totally agree on Mechanicus too, the entire system just felt gimmicky to me.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

into the trash it goes

Mechanicus also had decent (relatively) lore-accurate writing, and the humor was pretty on point. But yeah, the tactics part (which is most of the game) is kind of easy after you start steamrolling.

Why can't they just make Battle Brothers with Astartes? I mean.... it's what people want right?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, I want Battle Brothers with the Arbites and Sisters of Battle hunting down heretics.

The good thing about 40K is the massive variety. They could just release the game with Space Marines and then milk it with faction DLCs for ages.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
They could just release the game with Space Marines and then milk it with faction DLCs for ages.

I can't help but feel that GW is slowly but assuredly shifting their focus to digital media, but they have an ass backwards way of doing it. What its fans want are lore-accurate, grimdark games but so far they are producing games/media for the general audience (even skewing towards the younger audience) with things like the mobile game Lost Crusade and whatever the hell Warhammer Adventures is.

I swear, all IPs are destined to be some generic moneycow version of itself once it passes critical mass.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can't they just make Battle Brothers with Astartes? I mean.... it's what people want right?

No, actually the people want Battle Brothers with Orks.
I'll take Battle Brothers with absolutely anything, but for the love of God, not fucking Space Marines again...

That's another thing Mechanicus had going for it - while (kinda) the same faction, at least it wasn't Space Marines.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
They could just release the game with Space Marines and then milk it with faction DLCs for ages.

I can't help but feel that GW is slowly but assuredly shifting their focus to digital media, but they have an ass backwards way of doing it. What its fans want are lore-accurate, grimdark games but so far they are producing games/media for the general audience (even skewing towards the younger audience) with things like the mobile game Lost Crusade and whatever the hell Warhammer Adventures is.

I swear, all IPs are destined to be some generic moneycow version of itself once it passes critical mass.

Funny you mention that, since there has been a lot of talk lately about how the GW execs want to basicaly cash-out of the table top business and go more mainstream. They even started to shit on the 40K youtubers a bit more than usual as of late.

Humbaba

Arcane
Funny you mention that, since there has been a lot of talk lately about how the GW execs want to basicaly cash-out of the table top business and go more mainstream. They even started to shit on the 40K youtubers a bit more than usual as of late.

>Archie
:killit:

Yeah that whole IP thing got a lot of people mad but normal fans of the hobby don't give a shit since we don't watch bad fan fiction like TTS anyway and the only people complaining are other useless tubers and no-model secondaries, who now feel the need to BOYCOOT a product they were never purchasing in the first place. Tbf, GW is entirely within their rights to clamp down on what is irrefutably copyright infringement (others making money off of their IP), especially considering that with Warhammer+ they have their own official animation programs going on.

Also GW has been giving out the 40k licence to shovelware devs for years, that isn't new at all.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

>Archie
:killit:

Yeah that whole IP thing got a lot of people mad but normal fans of the hobby don't give a shit since we don't watch bad fan fiction like TTS anyway and the only people complaining are other useless tubers and no-model secondaries, who now feel the need to BOYCOOT a product they were never purchasing in the first place. Tbf, GW is entirely within their rights to clamp down on what is irrefutably copyright infringement (others making money off of their IP), especially considering that with Warhammer+ they have their own official animation programs going on.

Also GW has been giving out the 40k licence to shovelware devs for years, that isn't new at all.

Don't forget the people that "love" games workshop and farm clout shitting on them all day every day.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Looks decent, but how many turn-based Warrhammer games do we really need? I'd rather have a sequel to Space Marines or Inquisitor to be honest.

Its kind of funny how often these get grunted out, they just announced a new shitty 40k mobile tactics game too. We had stormground and Battlesector this year already. lol

Shadenuat

Arcane
How interesting. Seems there is a correlation between hating Arcanum and also slurping corporation asses and hating your own hobby members making cool fan shit.

Humbaba

Arcane
How interesting. Seems there is a correlation between hating Arcanum and also slurping corporation asses and hating your own hobby members making cool fan shit.

More like there's a correlation between liking Arcanum and other pieces of subpar art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom