Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters gets cinematic trailer, gameplay reveal next month

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Complex Games; Frontier Developments; Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Alongside yesterday's regular Gamescom programming, there was another installment of GamesRadar's trailer-packed Future Games Show events. Premiering at the event was the "full cinematic trailer" for Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, the Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG announced back in June. This one shows the Knights facing off against a daemonic horde and its gargantuan leader. Here's the trailer along with the accompanying press release:

Cambridge, UK – 26 August 2021. Frontier Foundry, the games label of Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, ‘Frontier’), today invited players to delve into the grim darkness of the far future with the full cinematic trailer for their upcoming title Warhammer 40,000®: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, a new game in partnership with world-renowned Warhammer 40,000 creator Games Workshop®.

Developed by Complex Games, Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters is a fast-paced, turn-based tactical RPG, telling the story of a squad of Grey Knights, an elite brotherhood of genetically-enhanced Space Marines devoted to purging the corrupting forces of Chaos and their fight to stop the spread of a daemonic plague; The Bloom.

Armoured in faith and shielded by devotion, the Grey Knights are humanity’s greatest weapon in the 41st Millennium. Controlling a Strike Force of these superhuman Daemonhunters, players will experience the visceral, brutal combat the Warhammer 40,000 universe is renowned for, while following the journey of these battle-brothers in a narrative penned by acclaimed New York Times bestselling author, Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters will release on PC in 2022 on Steam and the Epic Games Store, published by Frontier Foundry, and is available to wishlist now. Frontier’s existing partnership with Games Workshop® also includes the previously announced Warhammer® Age of Sigmar® RTS title, which is currently in development.

Players can expect to see a first look at gameplay in September 2021. Follow the game on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Visit the Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters official website at www.chaosgate.com.

As mentioned, the gameplay reveal for Daemonhunters is scheduled for next month. In the meantime, we'll have to make due with the small collection of screenshots uploaded to the game's Steam page.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This doesn't seem like the type of content that should go on the front page; we're adding to the baseless hype machine for games that don't even show gameplay. there's a million websites that do that, why not save these "new game announced" type posts when there's at least screens from actual gameplay to examine and discuss?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
This doesn't seem like the type of content that should go on the front page; we're adding to the baseless hype machine for games that don't even show gameplay. there's a million websites that do that, why not save these "new game announced" type posts when there's at least screens from actual gameplay to examine and discuss?

But if Shilltron were to stop posting about random hype trailer XYZ, how would he get free game keys then?

agris

Arcane
Patron
why do you disagree Infinitron ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why do you disagree Infinitron ?

First of all, there is a glimpse of gameplay in those screenshots I mentioned.

But regardless of that, I think that in general Codex should provide thorough coverage for isometric turn-based RPGs. If you think there are a "million websites" that would consistently post cinematic trailers or (let's say) development updates for every isometric RPG, you are mistaken.

That being said, we're in the middle of Gamescom. Gamescom and E3 are times of the year when I post things on the front page that I might otherwise skip. Hype season is in session.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The screenshots they added into the Steam page give me some hope for this game.
The "geoscape" seems more involved than in the previous Chaos Gate, but we see 5 Marines max, and no UI, when Chaos Gate 1998 had you control 15 marines.
Also, no Jetpacks (in the screenshots). Don't the Grey knights use them? Because that was one of my preferred aspects of the original CG.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The "geoscape" seems more involved than in the previous Chaos Gate, but we see 5 Marines max, and no UI, when Chaos Gate 1998 had you control 15 marines.
Also, no Jetpacks (in the screenshots). Don't the Grey knights use them? Because that was one of my preferred aspects of the original CG.
Grey Knights don't use Jump Packs and they don't get deployed en masse either like other Marines, because their numbers are very low and because it's not necessary. While it may be disappointing to many people that you're not moving a platoon of marines at the same time, it is lore friendly of the Grey Knights to only go in a groups of few. Grey Knights are all psykers who represent the cream of the crop and have some of the best wargear. So while the numbers are going to be small, each unit should have a swathe of tactical options available to them.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

TBF, lore-wise if you need 15 Grey Knights for something, it's often just easier to Extermanitus the planet.

Also while I believe that GK can equip jetpacks per tabletop rules, they are not generally shown with them in the official material. My guess is the personal teleporters will be used in place of jetpacks, as that's more lore-accurate.

spectre

Arcane
Aren't we supposed to be the fucking leading authority on what's an RPG in this neck of the woods? I know the devs call it this, but fuck them. Where are the dialogues, the character customization, the reactive gameworld,
the party banter, the choices and consequences? Anything at all to at least pretend it fits the bill?
It's the same story as with Mechanicus (for the record, it is also tagged as a Role Playing Video Game in the google search results), and this one rests comfortably in Tactical Gaming, with no problems.
All we get are the typical trappings of a strategy game, it even has a strategic layer.
I've said my peace.

As a tangent, I'm not a lore expert, but aren't the purity seals(?), I think that's what they're called, supposed to be in latin? It always feels like a bummer when I see engravings with common English words.
Is High Gothic and Low Gothic no longer a thing in the setting, or is it just another sign of general decline, that they can't be bothered to put a bit of "irae" here and a bit of "furor" there?
I suppose putting "Magnus fellator rarus" as an easter egg would just whoosh over the heads of the general audience, but I still think it's detrimental to the setting. Especially if we're talking grey knights,
where mysticism is supposed to be cranked to 11.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The thing with Grey Knights is that originally, they had basically two types of units - "normal" Grey Knights in power armor (armed with a force weapon + wrist mounted storm bolter) and terminators. Lore-wise this was all they needed because they were simply so cool that they could deep strike into a middle of a demon horde with a handful of guys and win without too much trouble. This didnt really transfer to table top though, where playing the pure Grey Knights list was one of the hardest things you could possibly do and people who wanted to make at least a little competitive list used inducted Imperial Guard units (including tanks) to actually get some versatility.

Few years back there was a large overhaul to how Grey Knights work, a new codex introduced a large number of new "variants," including assault marine equivalent that uses teleporter instead of jump pack and devastator equivalent, so the contemporary Grey Knights are actually much more like regular marines in terms of specializations/roles than they used to be about ten years ago. I would guess that the game will show these "new" Grey Knights with all these variants, but the trailers only seem to show the "regular" Grey Knights of old... we will see I guess.

In any case the new screenshots on Steam give me some hope that the game will have at least a decet strategic layer. I suspect the combat will be of nu-xcom popamole variety though...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Aren't we supposed to be the fucking leading authority on what's an RPG in this neck of the woods? I know the devs call it this, but fuck them. Where are the dialogues, the character customization, the reactive gameworld,
the party banter, the choices and consequences? Anything at all to at least pretend it fits the bill?
It's the same story as with Mechanicus (for the record, it is also tagged as a Role Playing Video Game in the google search results), and this one rests comfortably in Tactical Gaming, with no problems.
All we get are the typical trappings of a strategy game, it even has a strategic layer.
I've said my peace.

As a tangent, I'm not a lore expert, but aren't the purity seals(?), I think that's what they're called, supposed to be in latin? It always feels like a bummer when I see engravings with common English words.
Is High Gothic and Low Gothic no longer a thing in the setting, or is it just another sign of general decline, that they can't be bothered to put a bit of "irae" here and a bit of "furor" there?
I suppose putting "Magnus fellator rarus" as an easter egg would just whoosh over the heads of the general audience, but I still think it's detrimental to the setting. Especially if we're talking grey knights,
where mysticism is supposed to be cranked to 11.

GW has basically no idea what they're doing when it comes to video games beyond shotgunning out a number of titles for mass appeal. Have you seen the travesty that is the mobile game (lost crusade or some other stupid title)?

Everybody who knows anything about both 40k and RPGs will tell you that if GW really wanted to make money, they'd release something like Chapter Master (an old mod that lets you manage a SM chapter) with better customization and graphics. Imagine a RPG that lets you build a chapter from the ground up, recruit new Astartes, undertake crusades, etc.

MONEY. So much MONEY.

Hell, if they ever take this idea they'll ruin it with mtx and multiplayer probably.

spectre

Arcane
GW has basically no idea what they're doing when it comes to video games beyond shotgunning out a number of titles for mass appeal. Have you seen the travesty that is the mobile game (lost crusade or some other stupid title)
I guess GW still doesn't know what to do about the fact that their IP has outgrown its lead soldier origins.
I don't care much for tabletop, never played it and probably never will. Still, I recognize and like the setting for its pulpy appeal. Which makes me sad to see when it loses the little details that make is special.

My exposure to warhammer is mostly through vidya (SotHR, dark omen, final liberation, chaos gate, dawn of war, mechanicus, gladius), so I'm rather used to the idea that only one in about four or five is any good.
Which one will nuChaos Gate be I don't know, but I'm fully expecting to see an EXCUM clone dressed in 40k trappings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom