Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

copebot

Learned
Wait, which developer are you talking about here?

Streum On Studio, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is basically Chinese bootleg 40k. But that previous post was perhaps a bit too harsh, I did like some aspects of Deathwing although it suffered a lot of jank.

It's unfortunate that Necromunda: Hired Gun didn't turn out to be good, especially when it wasn't that far off from being decent. Technical issues and copying Doom 2016 (when clearly the E.Y.E formula would've worked) are to blame.

I think it will be a solid 40k weapons simulator once the patches roll in.

Hired Gun has the germ of a good game in it, but is laid low by all kinds of design issues. There are parts of it that would be brilliant with more refinement, better level design, and better enemy design. A lot of the individual elements like the dope grappling hook and the fact that you move like you're playing a 2x speed Doom Eternal mod with no dash cooldown are both good, but unfortunately the other game elements just do not mesh well with it.

The other issue is that the levels look awesome and very 40K, but they are not generally fun video game environments. It's like a stew with good ingredients that's ruined by accidentally dumping half the spice rack in it by mistake. The other issue is that by the end of the game, you are just spamming your mega cooldown abilities with no semblance of game balance.

Unfortunately the game also shows why Doom Eternal benefits from being a pretty slow game even though it 'seems' fast compared to most other FPS. Your dash is limited so you have to think about using it in Doom. In Hired Gun you just spam dash forever and go infinity miles an hour with your effectively infinite use grappling hook. You have effectively infinite ammo for all your guns and only some of them are useful, with most of them being just bad. The dog would be a cool mechanic if you were not a rocket ship character constantly flying in the air and the levels were not all wide open spaces. But I guess this is off topic. Hopefully this game will be good.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Its kinda strange that there are so few good 40K games tbh. One could guess that the 40K brand is so strong that sales are guaranteed regardless of quality, but then there is Star Wars which in comparison had plenty of good titles in various genres (X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, KotOR, Battlefront...) and 40K is very much niche in comparison.

Where is my 40K KotOR? :negative:

spectre

Arcane
yo retardotron, why is this in the wrong forum
Yea, I posted a thread about it in the correct forum and he retardo'd it. Never occurred to me we're filing this under RPG now.

I'll just copypaste my 50 cents:

The teaser (predictably) shows nothing, but I like how it reminds me of Astartes (sound, lighting, little details in the animation), I wasn't really following the guy behind it, but it seems he landed himself a job as their go-to cinematics guy.
Wouldn't mind if they emulated his approach to smurf portrayal even further.

The thing is supposedly written by Dembski-Bowden, can't really say if it's good or bad because I've only read two or three Wh40k books.

Other than this, it's supposed to be published by Frontier Developments which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in final quality.
Wouldn't stretch it as far as to say MMO features are incoming, but I'm prepared to be disappointed,
I guess the most reasonable thing to expect would be an nuexcum clone with 40k trappings. Which is not great, not terrible.

Managed to get a bit more info from another website (first two points seem to confirm it'll be a nuexcum clone):
(x) Game will focus on small-scale skirmshes, we'll get to play with several different character classes and lots of weapons.
(x) Making use of the environment will be important
(x) Enemies will mutate in the course of the encounter to keep things spicy.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Its kinda strange that there are so few good 40K games tbh. One could guess that the 40K brand is so strong that sales are guaranteed regardless of quality, but then there is Star Wars which in comparison had plenty of good titles in various genres (X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, KotOR, Battlefront...) and 40K is very much niche in comparison.

Where is my 40K KotOR? :negative:

The answer is simple. There's few good modern licensed games because modern games are trash.

Seriously, I can't name a single game I would characterize as "good" that released since the start of 2020.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
looks like they're a mobile dev
http://dropassault.com/

it has good reviews for whatever that's worth
It is another of these clash of clans/Boom beach of whatever clone, where you recruit things, collect stuff, and wait, or pay to make it faster...
The good reviews may be because they compare it to its competitors, but I tested it, and it was clearly heresy.

That said, many devs who made mobile games I have met dreamed of making real games someday, so there is a slim hope they want to redeem themselves, but Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
They have a website now, which has a bit more content than their trailer.

Penned by acclaimed Black Library author Aaron Dembski-Bowden, immersive yourself in a compelling story set in the grimdark universe of Warhammer 40,000. Meet famous faces, engage iconic foes, and discover what it takes to lead a squad of elite warriors battling to prevent galaxy-wide destruction in the 41st millennium.

Grey Knights are humanity’s greatest weapon. A secretive yet supremely powerful chapter of Space Marines sworn to eradicate corruption, these legendary Daemonhunters are dedicated to combating the Chaos Gods. Lead your own personalised squad against a galaxy-wide plot to infect worlds with a cosmic plague, The Bloom.

Master a turn-based tactical game across a strategic, story-driven campaign. Choose powerful classes, wield incredible weapons, use environments to your advantage, and target specific enemy weak points to hinder the advance of an ever-evolving and mutating threat.

So it looks like the head count is down from Chaos Gate and its 3 squads of 5 (but maybe is it a Squad of 10 now?), and its reserve of 50.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Penned by acclaimed Black Library author Aaron Dembski-Bowden,
I wonder how ADB is going to pozzed up that one, when all he's got to work with is a bunch of male space marines; but considering his track record, I think he's got that part down pat.

a cosmic plague, The Bloom.

Could be an ironic name if the bloom effects are over the top

Inconceivable

Learned
The best 40k games are fan mods that get cease and desisted.

There are a few pretty good 40K games

1. Dawn of War (1 obliviously + derivatives)
2. Space Marine
3. Armageddon (I have almost 200h clocked on Steam, played almost all expansions, it's like crack cocaine)
4. Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (old but awesome at the time)

Which ones do you mean? I only know the Chapter Master one, that seems to be a bit buggy/janky.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The best 40k games are fan mods that get cease and desisted.

There are a few pretty good 40K games

1. Dawn of War (1 obliviously + derivatives)
2. Space Marine
3. Armageddon (I have almost 200h clocked on Steam, played almost all expansions, it's like crack cocaine)
4. Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (old but awesome at the time)

Which ones do you mean? I only know the Chapter Master one, that seems to be a bit buggy/janky.
There is also Chaos Gate Mk1, and Final Liberation. Gladius is also pretty good.
As for modded games, there was the old Space Hulk that became Alien Assault because C&D, and the 40K openXCOM game which seems pretty good.

Inconceivable

Learned
There is also Chaos Gate Mk1, and Final Liberation. Gladius is also pretty good.
As for modded games, there was the old Space Hulk that became Alien Assault because C&D, and the 40K openXCOM game which seems pretty good.

I own a copy of Chaos Gate Mk1, still have the box sitting on my shelf. Tried to play it two times, but bounced off it. First two story missions are fine, but then the "filler" missions kick in, on some industrial complex where I could hardly tell which way is up or down. The map layout seemed so confusing to me, impossible to tell line-of-sight or even how to move my units to reach a certain area. Have heard of other people praising that game, but I couldn't get myself to continue playing that third level.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The filler missions are optional, just skip them. You'll lose some XP if you do but the game is really worth it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The filler missions are usually not even worth it, because losing a single experienced marines here would be a bigger setback than whatever loot they could bring (except if it is 1 powerfist and 1 lascannon).
That said, sending an assault marine somewhere will usually let him spot most opponent group, then the rest of the assault marines can usually dispatch them in no time.

Inconceivable

Learned
Interesting, I thought I would have to play those, or be unable to keep up in later missions. I might give it another shot some day and skip all the filler missions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Revealed at the Future Games Show:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611910/view/2961667641460852029

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters | Full Cinematic Trailer

The Chaos Gate has opened and the forces of Chaos march forth to threaten humanity. Prepare your Grey Knights, for a daemon hunt is coming.

Watch the brand new cinematic trailer for Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, revealed earlier today at the Future Games Show.

Wishlist now and follow our social channels to stay ahead of all the latest news and updates.

Twitter: @ChaosGate
Facebook: @PlayChaosGate
Instagram: @PlayChaosGate

Gameplay reveal next month.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Looks decent visually. Now the question is how good the UI and controls will be. After that - how good the singleplayer campaign is going to be. One thing I would like to hear is audio quality comparable to Dawn of War 1 and 2. Both games had amazing WH40K atmosphere and audio was a large part of that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
40K openXCOM game

I didn't know about this one, is there a "final release" or is it still in dev?

Edit:
Well, apparently, there is two
40K (v030) - 157Mo + 630Mo (cut-scenes)
Rosigma 40K (v1.03) - 96Mo

I have no idea about which is better aside from 40K being ranked 2 (downloads) of all the openxcom mods (on openxcom.mod) but it was first released 1 year earlier.

Rosigma seems to be complete though (even if they want to add some units ans enemies) and i don't know about 40K.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
40K openXCOM game

I didn't know about this one, is there a "final release" or is it still in dev?
It is still in dev, but feature complete. There are usually some content or submods added (lately: Primaris, playing as the Sororita, IG...).
My issue was that what you had to do was totally unclear. I send 2 of my attack crafts (Valkyries? I don't remember the ones you start with), against a Chimera on the geoscape, and they both got taken out.
In all of the other games I played, Flyer vs Chimera is just a fee win for the flyer.
So the game requires some adaptation to know what works and what doesn't.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It is still in dev, but feature complete. There are usually some content or submods added (lately: Primaris, playing as the Sororita, IG...).
My issue was that what you had to do was totally unclear. I send 2 of my attack crafts (Valkyries? I don't remember the ones you start with), against a Chimera on the geoscape, and they both got taken out.
In all of the other games I played, Flyer vs Chimera is just a fee win for the flyer.

So, you played 40K, not Rosigma 40K ? (see my edit above)

thanks for the info, i think i'll wait for february to play it, I'll have plenty of time and with luck, they'll have updated them multiple times.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

So, you played 40K, not Rosigma 40K ? (see my edit above)

thanks for the info, i think i'll wait for february to play it, I'll have plenty of time and with luck, they'll have updated them multiple times.
I played the newer 40K mod indeed.
I think 40K was started ouf of Rosigma assets. It is the "successor mod".

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Ah, was wondering why I couldn't find a thread about this - it's been filed under 'RPG'. Be interesting to see what they mean by mentioning 'RPG' in the promotional stuff and whether it goes beyond squad members having stats/skills and levelling up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom