Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

Skdursh

Savant
What's the verdict on this one? Worth the money? Any replay value? Usually I prefer to take the try-before-I-buy approach, but since this one is Denuvo'd, CODEX quit the scene and the people in-the-know aren't being very vocal about Denuvo-cracking I doubt that it is gonna be possible anytime soon. I watched a little bit of footage and it looks nice and meaty, but is there any real tactical challenge to it or is it pretty easy to blitz through most of it? Steam reviews look positive, but Steam reviewers also typically have a sub 40 IQ and spend most of their money on "one-handed" Visual Novels. Also, heard the DLC is absolute shit and basically just a pay-to-win addition.

Beowulf

Arcane
What's the verdict on this one? Worth the money? Any replay value? Usually I prefer to take the try-before-I-buy approach, but since this one is Denuvo'd, CODEX quit the scene and the people in-the-know aren't being very vocal about Denuvo-cracking I doubt that it is gonna be possible anytime soon. I watched a little bit of footage and it looks nice and meaty, but is there any real tactical challenge to it or is it pretty easy to blitz through most of it? Steam reviews look positive, but Steam reviewers also typically have a sub 40 IQ and spend most of their money on "one-handed" Visual Novels. Also, heard the DLC is absolute shit and basically just a pay-to-win addition.

I'd say - wait for sale. It's not bad, but it gets repetitive and uses similar action point system to nu-Xcom games (but you can abuse it here to make your characters combo their actions to gain more AP per turn), as well as similar pod system. I'm not really a fan of those two mechanics.
Also - it gets repetitive. Too repetitive for me actually, so I shelved it. Most of the fights devolved to me performing an alpha strike in order to get rid of the enemies in one turn, before they can even act (on normal diff though, so YMMW).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I'd say - wait for sale. It's not bad, but it gets repetitive and uses similar action point system to nu-Xcom games (but you can abuse it here to make your characters combo their actions to gain more AP per turn), as well as similar pod system. I'm not really a fan of those two mechanics.
Also - it gets repetitive. Too repetitive for me actually, so I shelved it. Most of the fights devolved to me performing an alpha strike in order to get rid of the enemies in one turn, before they can even act (on normal diff though, so YMMW).
yes, I mostly agree with Beowulf. I like the action system in use. It is more liberal than NuXCOM when it comes to actions. It is closer to Gears Tactics. But it has the same flaw of having very little mission variety. It also becomes easy too early (earlier than in NuXCOM for sure).

I showed the game to a friend yesterday (2/3rd in the game or so), and he joked about opponents never getting to act (at the highest difficulty level). I'm usually not a fan of just adding more opponents, but I think the game definitely needs it.
I am confident the developers will end up doing it, however, the mission variety will be much harder to fix.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Also, heard the DLC is absolute shit and basically just a pay-to-win addition.

There is no real DLC yet, that's just a deluxe edition bonus pack.
The DLC is not really P2W, but it is not very useful either:
You get a single character (not a class of character, a single unique character) that supposedly got mentioned in the books, who cannot really die, but is already at max XP with every skill unlocked (he has a higher cap than your guys), but with fixed gear.
I usually don't take characters that would just leech XP from other. So I'd say it's more like an emergency measure.
The Pay2Win stuff was the preorder lolhammer, but it is not included in the DLC iirc.

I made a Steam review for the DLC:

The base game is really solid, but you should get the DLC only if you also want to experience purchasing overpriced miniatures in a hobby store:
You get a single (overpowered) character, not class, for 15 €, and you cannot even spec him.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Galdred Some reviews mention huge framerate drops during enemy turn, probably due to denuvo, any feedback on this?
I have no idea whether it is Denuvo or not, but on my Desktop, the game was very unresponsive during menus (it was power point bad). I haven't tested since the performance patch, though.
On my laptop, it looked ok (with the performance patch, but I didn't try before).

I didn't notice framerate drops during enemy turn, but they spend too much time on some animations (not that it's an issue, given how seldom they get to act...).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Performances seem much better now, but it probably still depend on your configuration "luck". I had other games where players had a lot of crashes when I didn't get any, but back in the day, I could not run Baldur's Gate for 3 months, and the guys at Bioware tech support told me they never had someone else report the same issue, so it is very hard to say for certain how it will work on a given configuration. However, many said it was much better now.

Regarding difficulty, some of the "deeds" make things much harder (no willpower spent is the hardest, and almost requires a specific build, but no mastercrafted weapons and armors and only 3 knights are pretty challenging too). It is still hard to keep things from derailing at the strategic level. My ship is down to 1 HP, and 2 planets have reached corruption level 5, so I get more and more chaos gate missions (I park my ship in the vicinity so that I can be sure I get to them).

Strap Yourselves In
It is still hard to keep things from derailing at the strategic level.
Yeah, it’s really easy to fuck up strategically in a couple of ordinary things. Piss off Kai, choose a wrong action during an event, get wrecked by death guard fleet and you start realizing that you are losing ground very rapidly unless immediately getting your shit together.
My ship is down to 1 HP, and 2 planets have reached corruption level 5, so I get more and more chaos gate missions (I park my ship in the vicinity so that I can be sure I get to them).
When a chaos gates start opening you better be approaching the final story missions, because after some story event they’ll start popping up like mushrooms after a rain, and there’s no sensible way to keep them under control.

Alpharius

Learned
My ship is down to 1 HP, and 2 planets have reached corruption level 5, so I get more and more chaos gate missions (I park my ship in the vicinity so that I can be sure I get to them).
When a chaos gates start opening you better be approaching the final story missions, because after some story event they’ll start popping up like mushrooms after a rain, and there’s no sensible way to keep them under control.
They start opening two at a time after a certain research is started, the game hints at it like make sure your team is prepared, there is no turning back etc.

Top Bottom