Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

lightbane

Arcane
It is still in dev, but feature complete. There are usually some content or submods added (lately: Primaris, playing as the Sororita, IG...).
My issue was that what you had to do was totally unclear. I send 2 of my attack crafts (Valkyries? I don't remember the ones you start with), against a Chimera on the geoscape, and they both got taken out.
In all of the other games I played, Flyer vs Chimera is just a fee win for the flyer.
So the game requires some adaptation to know what works and what doesn't.

So, you played 40K, not Rosigma 40K ? (see my edit above)

thanks for the info, i think i'll wait for february to play it, I'll have plenty of time and with luck, they'll have updated them multiple times.
I played the newer 40K mod indeed.
I think 40K was started ouf of Rosigma assets. It is the "successor mod".
Rosigma is pretty much an expansion focused on the IG and the Battle Bitches, but it has some content for the Marines IIRC. It also improves the enemy factions by adding tons of new enemies, so it's pretty much recommended. The issue though is that the mod seems quite awkward to play.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NOT AN RPG
That is true, but Chaos Gate 1 was the game in which I felt the most attachment to my guys.
I actually find the characters in tactical games and Tactical RPG more interesting than these characters that talk a lot, but can never die.
The death of whatever character that was unavoidable in NWN2 OC, or even BG2 didn't feel as meaningul as the death of Brother Sempronius, my Mighty Hero devastator with 60 Action Points and 118 Ballistic skills.

Please don't be shit, please don't be shit, please don't be shit, please don't be shit...

It's gonna be shit, isn't it? :majordecline:

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
But yes, what you said :shredder::negative:

Andnjord

Arcane
That is true, but Chaos Gate 1 was the game in which I felt the most attachment to my guys.
I actually find the characters in tactical games and Tactical RPG more interesting than these characters that talk a lot, but can never die.
The death of whatever character that was unavoidable in NWN2 OC, or even BG2 didn't feel as meaningul as the death of Brother Sempronius, my Mighty Hero devastator with 60 Action Points and 118 Ballistic skills.
I'll always remember Brosef, the shield bearer in my last Xenonaut campaign. He somehow managed to survive long enough to graduate to assault (the other shield bearers had a life expentancy of about three missions) before eventually dying in the final mission, surrounded by alien corpses like the Doom Guy cover art thus giving enough time to the rest of the team to escape. Nevar forget :salute:

Amazing what a little permadeath and plentiful replacements can do to a game's narrative.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Yeah, look at that Machu Picchu of chest-high cover. Maybe I was slightly hopeful when it was announced, but not any more.

Harthwain

Magister
Ah, yes. Some random weirdo who hates games will know what genre a game is better than the developers.
Truth to be told - it's very easy to market anything as an RPG these days. That's why I am skeptical about them claiming it is an RPG. At least until I see some actual gameplay in action. Looks more like a tactical game to me, which makes sense considering it has "Chaos Gate" in name, but I will be surprised if we get something more than that.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If it doesn't offer choice and consequence it's not an RPG. Simple as.
Infinishill doesn't like thinking too much so he just does what the press kit says.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If it doesn't offer choice and consequence it's not an RPG. Simple as.
Infinishill doesn't like thinking too much so he just does what the press kit says.
C&C is the most overrated buzzword here and all the best RPGs (dungeon crawlers) didn't have any. Plus those games predate the games that you call "real" RPGs.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Look, this is just gonna be nuXCOM with a Warhammer coat of paint.* The "RPG" parts will amount to "Which shade of swarthy can you make your dudes" and "Which kind of weapons do they take on a mission".
Is XCOM an RPG? No. So neither is this.

*Actually its gonna be that if we're lucky. The Warhammer IP isn't exactly known for its quality games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll be happy if that's what we end up with but so far they've said that this is going to be more of a story focused RPG. Then again the original Chaos Gate was a more story focused X-COM as well.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Look, this is just gonna be nuXCOM with a Warhammer coat of paint.* The "RPG" parts will amount to "Which shade of swarthy can you make your dudes" and "Which kind of weapons do they take on a mission".
Is XCOM an RPG? No. So neither is this.

*Actually its gonna be that if we're lucky. The Warhammer IP isn't exactly known for its quality games.
That is also the case with almost every tactical RPG.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Just seems like the RPG tag is broadbrush marketing. If they'd released either of the two statements below as their summary of the game then the whole 'is it an RPG' discussion would be redundant.

From their website:

Master a turn-based tactical game across a strategic, story-driven campaign. Choose powerful classes, wield incredible weapons, use environments to your advantage, and target specific enemy weak points to hinder the advance of an ever-evolving and mutating threat.

Or their twitter:

Take on the forces of Chaos in a cinematic turn based strategy with Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters.

Actually am looking forward to seeing what they have done with the game as the corruption angle reminds me more than a little bit of the premise behind Phoenix Point's monsters evolving.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the developers consistently call a game a "tactical RPG" or a "strategy RPG", it goes here. If they consistently call it a "tactical combat game" or even a "tactical combat game with RPG elements", it goes to Tactical Gaming. I don't want to have genre classification arguments all the time, this is the easiest way.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If the developers consistently call a game a "tactical RPG" or a "strategy RPG", it goes here. If they consistently call it a "tactical combat game" or even a "tactical combat game with RPG elements", it goes to Tactical Gaming. I don't want to have genre classification arguments all the time, this is the easiest way.

Ok, i was prepared to answer than most AAA devs are retards, and half the kickstarter ones too so their classification doesn't mean shit but i understand.

Why not nominating 1/2/3 people as the genre classification police and they will sort the disputed ones in a dedicated thread?

And Fedora Master could be the first Codex policeman (or policewoman, or policething, no offense but i only know you nickname and your avatar mate)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

I am appalled the Codex hasn't hashed out a proper definition. I know I know, the discussion never amounts to much but relying on the developer in this day and age is also futile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom