Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

Beowulf

Arcane
If the developers consistently call a game a "tactical RPG" or a "strategy RPG", it goes here. If they consistently call it a "tactical combat game" or even a "tactical combat game with RPG elements", it goes to Tactical Gaming. I don't want to have genre classification arguments all the time, this is the easiest way.

I am appalled the Codex hasn't hashed out a proper definition. I know I know, the discussion never amounts to much but relying on the developer in this day and age is also futile.

I have to agree with the :mlady: - going solely by developer tags is not the best choice - at this day and age, every game with stats is labeled as RPG, or as having RPG elements.
Or, god forbid, as RPG game, if the devs don't pull any punches.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You might as well kill off the Tactical subforum altogether, since calling these games RPGs is in vogue now and no one makes tactics games anymore. Make a "Tactical RPG" sub-subforum under GRPG and chuck them in there, then at least we can group them together.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You might as well kill off the Tactical subforum altogether, since calling these games RPGs is in vogue now and no one makes tactics games anymore. Make a "Tactical RPG" sub-subforum under GRPG and chuck them in there, then at least we can group them together.
That is a good point. It could be reasonable to move all tactical RPG to the tactical subforum, or in a Tactical RPG subforum, because quite a few Tactical RPG are closer from tactical games than RPG.
Another option would be to have threads that could appear in both, because it is a shame that many games that should be in the Tactical sub forums are not visible here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I look at it from the opposite perspective. Originally, those tactical games that weren't marketed as RPGs (and there are enough of them) were grouped together with strategy games and became lost among the grand strategy titles, 4Xes and RTSes. This way, a genre of games that's adjacent to RPGs gets more visibility on a forum dedicated to RPGs, without us having to actually cram them all into the same board.

Beowulf

Arcane

Seems like the Warcraft treatment goes back to the company that started the giant pauldrons trend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Not seeing anything to dissuade me yet. Pre-alpha is pre-alpha so meh but looks like a very standard TTB with a light strategy layer involving base management, research, and unit progression based on starting class (four on display in video). All very much as expected so far?

Arbaces

Novice
It would have been more informative if they showed any UI for the tactical segments. The weapon descriptions seem to imply that at least damage will be deterministic, and I didn't see any attacks miss in the trailer. Is it too optimistic to hope one of the icons in the character menus is action points and that it's not another two action move/shoot turn based popamole game? There is also possibly some form of space combat since the ship has shields and hull values.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seeing space marines taking cover seems kind of lame, especially since it doesn't seem like there's a lot of firepower on either side; at least the Space Marine action game had the right idea by not letting the player take cover. And I think it's possible to have that type of tactic game where there's no cover, like in the Mechanicus game (except for line of sight)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Seeing space marines taking cover seems kind of lame, especially since it doesn't seem like there's a lot of firepower on either side; at least the Space Marine action game had the right idea by not letting the player take cover. And I think it's possible to have that type of tactic game where there's no cover, like in the Mechanicus game (except for line of sight)

Cover was super important in the TT when I played, especially for bunkers, buildings and such. Even in Chaos Gate 1, it was pretty important, even though it was not binary like in NuXCOM.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm all for Rational Marines, using cover when it makes sense.
I'd say taking cover, when you're wearing some of the best armour available for your faction and facing guys wielding pea-shooters, isn't really necessary. Of course when the chaos space marines arrive, yeah, that'd make sense

Harthwain

Magister
I'd say taking cover, when you're wearing some of the best armour available for your faction and facing guys wielding pea-shooters, isn't really necessary. Of course when the chaos space marines arrive, yeah, that'd make sense
The problem with that approach is - you have to start with Chaos Space Marines (and similarly powerful threats) right away then and there is no real point in including stuff like cultists with lasguns.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm all for Rational Marines, using cover when it makes sense.
WH40k isn't about being rational
Space Marine armour is a gift from the Machine God (terminator armour even more so, not to mention the Aegis gear Grey Knights use). It should be taken care of, by performing proper Rites. And while it is righteous to have faith in the Emperor and the Omnissiah, testing their benevolence by unnecessarily exposing oneself to enemy fire is borderline heretical. If you need to advance when there is no cover, you do it for the Emperor. If you can use terrain for protection, you do, so that you can live longer to exterminate more enemies of the Empire.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
On a second rewatch and examining some stills from the trailer I’ve changed my attitude from disappointment to cautiously optimistic.
According to that little information I was able to gather from the “““gameplay reveal””” we are going to have:
Ship upgrades;
Researches;
Swappable equipment for knights;
Classes;
Strategic map;
Experience, leveling up and all the shit that comes with it (abilities) a.k.a. $$$RPG$$$

The extent to which all of the above is going to be implemented a.k.a. whether it’s going to be shit or not is yet unknown.

My main concern is grey knights are fucking 40k’s mary sues and as such may not be very much attractive as a role playing model.

Visual part is too saturated for my taste, but I can bear it.

Sound-wise these guys should really check Mechanicus minus dubstep wobble-wobble.

baud

Arcane
Patron
wasnt the power armor invented so the SM could butthead with the beefy orcs or some such wetfart from the lore?
pretty sure it's the Emperor who gave the first power armors to the armies he led to conquer Terra in the first place.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom