Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like how bolter shreds living things into pieces.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Well, I do hope the gameplay is decent.
But it really looks like a slightly expanded mobile game. And the colour palette is atrocious.

GW: what draws people to the 40k setting?

Fans: oppressive grimdark gothic atmosphere

GW: what will our games look like in 2021 and beyond?

Also GW: mobile game shit with bright colors

Y'know, Blizzard got so much flak for essentially "borrowing" concepts from GW, and now GW is going back and "borrowing" from Blizzard. I wish they didn't.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You'd think obscure stuff like Chaos Gate would be safe from the forces of decline, but nah...

Decline effects everything. It's mostly corporations getting more effective in dumbing things down for the common denominator. More consumers = more money. At the end of the day, you have to admit a grudging respect for how well they suck up people's money.

So the only people who resist decline are artists, the irrational, those who don't care about profits, and the very stubborn.

Codex Year of the Donut
some of the most profitable games on steam are autism simulators, the idea that dumbing down = more copies sold seems to be something proposed by marketing but isn't actually based in fact(correlation does not imply causation)
contrast this with WoW losing subscribers the more casualized it became

Without the carrot at the end of the stick, are normies actually interested in games? The perceived difficulty and delayed gratification may keep them more interested & interested far longer than instant gratification.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
some of the most profitable games on steam are autism simulators, the idea that dumbing down = more copies sold seems to be something proposed by marketing but isn't actually based in fact(correlation does not imply causation)

Without the carrot at the end of the stick, are normies actually interested in games? The perceived difficulty and delayed gratification may keep them more interested & interested far longer than instant gratification.
well, it also take some effort to develop an autism simulator, so it's much easier and less risky to just aim for the lowest common denominator

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It should be a good time to remind people that Diablo 3 is still the third highest selling game of all time (according to wikipedia at any rate), and the top selling RPG of any kind.

You can leave your despair emotes here.

lightbane

Arcane
^That was thanks to the power of brands. Now that Blizzard has gone full retard with current titles, expect this to change.

well, it also take some effort to develop an autism simulator, so it's much easier and less risky to just aim for the lowest common denominator

Define "autism simulator", as you may be talking about silly stuff like the "be a (failed) surgeon" game/s, to games only crazy people would play, like Forklift Simulator.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It should be a good time to remind people that Diablo 3 is still the third highest selling game of all time (according to wikipedia at any rate), and the top selling RPG of any kind.

You can leave your despair emotes here.

only on PC. If you take into account all platforms, it falls in the same bracket as Skyrim and Twitcher 3 (and the top selling RPG is pokemon, if you count that as a RPG)

But yeah, I wouldn't have though D3 sold that many copies

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I wonder if they're going the route of other GW games and adding other chaos factions as DLC.

We really don't see enough of Slaanesh or Tzeentch in 40k games, although I'm hyped to see all four gods in Total Warhammer 3, but that's Fantasy.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've got to say, these enemy showcases aren't really worth the effort. Like the plaguebearer one tells you almost nothing about it. If you don't have prior lore knowledge, it just looks like a gross zombie cyclops with a knife.

Also, do you really need a 5 second intro and outro? A 40 sec video with 10 seconds taken up by logo.

Why even bother?

baud

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron, if you really want to post those, wait until you have a small batch to post all of them at once

Sunri

Liturgist
nurgle = boring
still better than Khorne on that regard

Not really nurgle is more popular both in video games and tabletop still I wish they would use Tzeentch and Slanesh more instead pretending that they don't exist.
07412476b40b2ba913948e656642c6fc.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
nurgle = boring

Not really nurgle is more popular both in video games and tabletop still I wish they would use Tzeentch and Slanesh more instead pretending that they don't exist.

Lol GW is trying to keep their games as PG-13 as possible. The God of depraved/degenerate pleasure is a tall order when you can't even include naked tits in your game.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
However, I never really understood how Slaanesh followers were finding his creatures appealing. I may be in the minority, but being ripped apart by a clawed monster is not something I am longing for.

nurgle = boring

Lol GW is trying to keep their games as PG-13 as possible. The God of depraved/degenerate pleasure is a tall order when you can't even include naked tits in your game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom