Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

CodexTotalWar

Learned
I'm trying to do the "win mission without using Willpower" challenge, but for some reason, even though I'm sticking to just basic attacks and movement (no special abilities or enhanced strikes, not even Aegis Shield), they game is still flagging me as using Willpower after any round of combat.

Does anyone know what might be triggering this? I.e. some kind of hidden passive I have to disable or items I have to not-bring?

Edited: I think it was a bug - restarting the game fixed it for some reason.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2022-5-8_22-55-17.png

:hmmm:

Saduj

Arcane
If they don’t get to 70% soon the devs will nerf the game to make it easier.
yeah I'm sure that's why it has a low rating
looks at king arthur knight's tale

You guys fell for the warhammer video game meme. AGAIN.

Enough of the negative reviews mention “balance”/difficulty/knights not being powerful enough that nerfing it a bit seems like an easy way to pick up 2%. They’re already working on performance and getting rid of dumb shit like Twitch exclusives, so if that doesn’t get them into positive it seems like difficulty has to be next.

But yeah meme lol everything sucks edgey4life, etc.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
As is common with strategy games (for me, at any rate) I am learning as I go, and now that I feel like I understand the systems better, I'd like to start over. But apparently I have to do the tutorial missions all over again? This is incredibly stupid. An option to skip these is practically elementary.
The tutorial skip option is in the difficulty selection menu. Below the ironman option.

Okay, I rescind my criticism.

ETA: I just checked and it is grayed out for me. Lol. What the fuck is going on.
Seems like the game KNOWS you are shit in it so it goes 'back to basics with you, boy'

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It has finally happened. Now it's my turn to be on the receiving end of the game's pranks. I got to the final mission and apparently you needed two trained and kitted squads of marines for it. Unfortunately there never was a reason for me to use anyone but my main force so now I'm left with a squad of level 1 rookies in shit gear who would have to fight against enemies that even my A team would have trouble with. :lol: Oh well, GG. I witnessed a bit of the final bosses mechanics and don't feel any real desire to finish the game now anyway. I've had my fun but this final mission is just cancer. There's no place for boss fights in a squad based tactics game, and unfortunately this game revels in them for the last half of the game.

Harthwain

Magister
Unfortunately there never was a reason for me to use anyone but my main force
Having at least the B Team is always sensible, if only because your A Team might get benched for one reason or another.

But I do agree it's a dick move to make it pretty much mandatory without saying anything about it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Unfortunately there never was a reason for me to use anyone but my main force
Having at least the B Team is always sensible, if only because your A Team might get benched for one reason or another.

But I do agree it's a dick move to make it pretty much mandatory without saying anything about it.

In other games of this type you naturally build up another squad of veterans as you rotate wounded people out, but no such thing happened in this game since I'd rarely even take a single point of damage after I got my Librarian. You only need to bench a marine if they get critically wounded (HP drops to zero) but that never happened to me. There should've been some earlier missions that require 2 squads to clue the player in on needing more than a single squad. Not at the last moment.

Edit: Another gripe for me concerning the final mission is how most of the tech you can research in this game has to do with Stratagems (powerful utility abilities you can use during combat). I'd say around 60% of the research are Stratagems, but you can't use them in the final mission. Feels kind of weird to invalidate such an important mechanic. To think that I even stalled doing the final mission to tech some extra stratagem stuff.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It has finally happened. Now it's my turn to be on the receiving end of the game's pranks. I got to the final mission and apparently you needed two trained and kitted squads of marines for it. Unfortunately there never was a reason for me to use anyone but my main force so now I'm left with a squad of level 1 rookies in shit gear who would have to fight against enemies that even my A team would have trouble with. :lol: Oh well, GG. I witnessed a bit of the final bosses mechanics and don't feel any real desire to finish the game now anyway. I've had my fun but this final mission is just cancer. There's no place for boss fights in a squad based tactics game, and unfortunately this game revels in them for the last half of the game.
What is your main team composed of? That’s pretty good if you have not had to rotate between teams.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What is your main team composed of? That’s pretty good if you have not had to rotate between teams.

Justicar, Librarian, Interceptor and Apothecary. My main tactic was running with my Librarian to activate a pod > you regain your AP back so I'd just tele on top of the enemy and blow them up. This even worked on some boss enemies that didn't have (m)any boss mechanics. Great Unclean One died before he got his turn. Some other bosses died on the second turn. Being able to teleport is ridiculously strong.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If they don’t get to 70% soon the devs will nerf the game to make it easier.
yeah I'm sure that's why it has a low rating
looks at king arthur knight's tale

You guys fell for the warhammer video game meme. AGAIN.
Most of the complains are about the dev predatory practics (Twitch drops, pre-order items, DLC character...).
The game also suffers from optimization issues, but no more than King Arthur (I'm still waiting for my external SSD to play the release version!), and an inverted difficulty curve (worse than in NuXCOM), but this could be addressed with a few balance patches (by making end game enemies stronger, and early game ones weaker, and rebalancing the ways to get action points).
The game itself is quite solid.

Alpharius

Scholar
Seems pretty good so far on max dificulty, similar to nuxcom on hard i guess.
Not sure i like the action point farming though. Only used an +1 stun apothecay buff so far and already stunning and executing all enemies for free AP seems like the best strategy. With level up that apothecary buff will give +2, and then there is a +1 stun hammer (which can be upgraded to +2) so the total +5 stun will probably stun most normal enemies in one hit.
Played some more and the AP farming has become ridiculous, the interceptor dude with some t2 blade gets +1 AP when he teleports then +1 AP when he crits and +1 AP for executions on top of +1 AP that all the knights receive on executions. :hahano: And with apothecary buff and bonus stun form the blade he stuns everything on first hit. Then there is honor the chapter for +2 or 3 AP each turn and i've also got a storm bolter with +1 stun (2 when upgraded).
So pretty much the interceptor + any one other knight execute every stunnable enemy, then two other knights with 6 or more AP finish off the rest. Just killed three pods in one turn like that.

The difficulty got downgraded from nuxcom hard to nuxcom easy. There are probably many enemy types i haven't seen yet but i'm uncatiosly pessimistic. :negative:

Didn't Mechanicus also have a similar issue where you get free AP while you are getting free AP?

I'm trying to do the "win mission without using Willpower" challenge, but for some reason, even though I'm sticking to just basic attacks and movement (no special abilities or enhanced strikes, not even Aegis Shield), they game is still flagging me as using Willpower after any round of combat.

Does anyone know what might be triggering this? I.e. some kind of hidden passive I have to disable or items I have to not-bring?

Edited: I think it was a bug - restarting the game fixed it for some reason.
Possibly because of -1 max will power affliction that you can get during the mission.

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
Legendary, iron man run ruined with a click of a button.

So what happened here? Pure RNG event ruined his ironman, or did he miss some crucial information and made a fatal mistake?

The ship has 3 hp without upgades, so i'm guessing this event dealt 3 damage on max difficulty and destroyed the ship. Because he should have known that one can repair the ship if he recevied damage before.
Or maybe he is not very bright and had 1 hp left or something.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Legendary, iron man run ruined with a click of a button.

So what happened here? Pure RNG event ruined his ironman, or did he miss some crucial information and made a fatal mistake?

The ship has 3 hp without upgades, so i'm guessing this event dealt 3 damage on max difficulty and destroyed the ship. Because he should have known that one can repair the ship if he recevied damage before.
Or maybe he is not very bright and had 1 hp left or something.

Checked. He was at 2/3 HP. So the event was -2 damage (I think he just RNGed into 2, instead of 1, so truly unlucky). He was 'at the start', so barely any upgrades on the ship.

I like this game. A lot of good 40k stuff here. Grey Knights feel very powerful, as they should and if you want a challenge, you can go on higher difficulties (which might get nerfed/made easier because people whine and whine).
rw4XCjL.jpg

18MYnB5.jpg

qGe0n5Y.jpg

Saduj

Arcane
After playing the game more, one thing I have to correct from my earlier post is that avoiding the counter hitting 100 shouldn't really be too much of a concern and in most cases worrying about it leads to bad strategies.

Using abilities when it seems advantageous is pretty much always the right call even if it pushes the meter up. Constantly pushing forward leads to engaging more than one enemy group at a time or fighting enemies from bad positions. Frequently, pulling back to draw enemies in and make sure you fight one group from a good position is the right call. If you're managing the enemies well enough, most surges don't have much of an effect. You can be unlucky and get a surge that brings in enemy reinforcements right behind you during a tough fight. But usually 1-3 enemies mutate or you get a debuff on a knight for a turn or all enemies get some minor buff for three turns.

It still makes things a bit more interesting but I wouldn't even call it a soft timer anymore.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Hobo Elf, as I play more, you were right about Justicar. The class is fantastic. On this run I have been using one team of double Justicar, Interceptor, and Apothecary. I focused on Aegis armor upgrades first, and so far I have taken no HP damage between missions. Honor the Chapter will be icing on the cake. While its still early in the campaign, this team setup has allowed me to deemphasize barracks upgrades and requisition in favor of warp engines. Furthermore, these four recruits just soak up all the XP.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After playing the game more, one thing I have to correct from my earlier post is that avoiding the counter hitting 100 shouldn't really be too much of a concern and in most cases worrying about it leads to bad strategies.

Using abilities when it seems advantageous is pretty much always the right call even if it pushes the meter up. Constantly pushing forward leads to engaging more than one enemy group at a time or fighting enemies from bad positions. Frequently, pulling back to draw enemies in and make sure you fight one group from a good position is the right call. If you're managing the enemies well enough, most surges don't have much of an effect. You can be unlucky and get a surge that brings in enemy reinforcements right behind you during a tough fight. But usually 1-3 enemies mutate or you get a debuff on a knight for a turn or all enemies get some minor buff for three turns.

It still makes things a bit more interesting but I wouldn't even call it a soft timer anymore.
you can abuse several things about the warp counter:
- Once it reaches 100, it won't increase before the end of your turn, so you can go on a spending spree.
- It only triggers on end turn, but if you kill all enemies, or trigger a new pod without any other enemy active at that time, you get your AP refreshed without changing turn.

Regarding AP refresh, if you plan to trigger a pod on your turn, you can just Aegis/biomancy buff whoever you want before, send a marine to trigger the pod, and everyone will be back at full action, with the buff active.
But a marine in OW will stay in OW, so don't set it up before activating (given its laughable range, it is not the right tool here).

I've stopped worrying about recovery time and sent my wounded marines in combat. It worked well so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom