Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Do I understand it right: in order to respec any given knight I have to hire a new one and let him die on a mission. After that happens there will appear an option “attune” on the abilities screen which will enable respeccing.

If the above is correct, is it possible to kill a knight during one mission (deplete all his resilience points at once)?

Saduj

Arcane
It has finally happened. Now it's my turn to be on the receiving end of the game's pranks. I got to the final mission and apparently you needed two trained and kitted squads of marines for it. Unfortunately there never was a reason for me to use anyone but my main force so now I'm left with a squad of level 1 rookies in shit gear who would have to fight against enemies that even my A team would have trouble with. :lol: Oh well, GG. I witnessed a bit of the final bosses mechanics and don't feel any real desire to finish the game now anyway. I've had my fun but this final mission is just cancer. There's no place for boss fights in a squad based tactics game, and unfortunately this game revels in them for the last half of the game.

The final mission is still crap even if you're prepared. I had two squads ready. Justicar 9, Justicar 9, Apothecary 9, Interceptor 9 and Justicar 9, Justicar 9, Purgator 9, Apothecary 8. All had mostly tier II or III gear and before the final mission I used all my seeds to upgrade the gear as much as I could. Took around an hour and a half to beat, which I would have been cool with if the battle itself were interesting. But the actual boss wasn't that big a deal and the battle is just drawn out via gimmicks. Most of the time was spent with the B squad, not the squad fighting the boss.

The boss itself isn't that tough. I want to say the main squad took 5 turns to kill the boss but it may have been 6. In any case, it only took that long because the boss gains immunity four times during the fight by design. I used the Justicars as AP donors and to take out minions. Apothecary was mostly healing and taking pot shots with bolter. Drago alternated between the boss and the roots that have to be taken out to end boss immunity. Interceptor was mostly dedicated to the boss. Nobody went down but the Interceptor came very close. The team guarding the gate took way more turns to do their part and was much closer to going down. But that fight isn't fun at all as it is just wave after wave of mostly trash mobs. Just grinds you down. I actually failed pretty badly at defending the gate against the last wave and around five guys got through. But it didn't matter because the boss died as soon as my A team got their next turn so the reinforcements never got to act. Having a weapon(s) with push back really helps in the gate fight, BTW. This is a fail as a boss fight because most of the fight is spent fighting enemies you've seen plenty of before with the boss off screen.

The fight is also exploitable in that it is advantageous to weaken the lesser gate enemies until they are close to being stunned (even better if you can crit them and take away ranged attacks) then ignore them and let them through the gate. When you get back to the main fight, stun and execute the weakened reinforcements for extra AP against the boss. I only did this once but there was plenty of opportunity to do it more if I had thought of it earlier. I finished off a lot of guys I could have just let through the gate.

I don't necessarily agree that boss fights have no place in a game like this. Gears Tactics did boss fights better. But in this game, most of the boss fights were disappointing. At least half can be killed in one turn. Munificus was kind of fun because the unique mechanics make it necessary to prepare a bit. The guy who teleports around and creates illusions of himself was cool the first time you fight him. Other than that, the boss fights were letdowns. Edit: The saving grace being that they were very short, except the last one.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Do I understand it right: in order to respec any given knight I have to hire a new one and let him die on a mission. After that happens there will appear an option “attune” on the abilities screen which will enable respeccing.
Yes.
is it possible to kill a knight during one mission (deplete all his resilience points at once)?
No. To spend three resilience points at least two missions are needed as per my experience.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If the above is correct, is it possible to kill a knight during one mission (deplete all his resilience points at once)?
Indeed! It is really weird: it would have been great as a catch up mechanism, but having to jump knights of cliffs to respec/boost others is quite weird.

The game becomes really too easy too early (basically as soon as you get a few +AP skills, or equivalent like mass teleport).
They could easily address the balance issues by moving Gates of Infinity higher on the research tree, making late game pods larger, and Chaos Marines less stupid with their AP use (the sprayers will just waste AP spraying empty areas...), and probably limiting the total AP per turn.

But I had good fun with the "no willpower spent" deed, as it makes the game play very differently, with your knights having to advance cautiously again.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was thinking that game has indeed lost challenge, but then there was Malathan. My first wipe and I still haven’t understood wtf happened. Why did my knights die out of blue one-by-one? How did you guys deal with this fight?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I was thinking that game has indeed lost challenge, but then there was Malathan. My first wipe and I still haven’t understood wtf happened. Why did my knights die out of blue one-by-one? How did you guys deal with this fight?
I only faced the green one, as I am starved of other seeds, but wouldn't 3 Justicars+1 Interceptor be the solution to everything?

Beowulf

Arcane
How long is the game after getting the Inquisitor to the Nexus? I just unlocked different types of seeds.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I only faced the green one, as I am starved of other seeds, but wouldn't 3 Justicars+1 Interceptor be the solution to everything?
I don’t usually enjoy cheesy squads, but that’s not the problem anyway. There’re many mechanics in this fight that require spending APs wisely, but the game over one was that which instakilled one knight per two or three turns with no res. Don’t think I got how it worked.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Indeed! It is really weird: it would have been great as a catch up mechanism, but having to jump knights of cliffs to respec/boost others is quite weird.
Nonetheless I appreciate them making respec a non-trivial exercise. Makes you think twice before spending skill points.

Saduj

Arcane
How long is the game after getting the Inquisitor to the Nexus? I just unlocked different types of seeds.
''

I'd estimate you're 33-40% of the way through.

IF you want details:

You need to research and defeat three of the five bosses, which requires seeds you need to collect from side missions. The seeds are good for other stuff too so collect as many as you can. After you take down the 3rd boss of your choosing, there is a non-optional boss fight. From there, there will be additional tech (I think 2 more things) you need to research, requiring seeds, so you will still be doing some side missions. You can control how fast you reach the end game by simply not researching the final tech. Once you get to a certain point, it goes completely on the rails and there are two last boss fights.

Saduj

Arcane
Nonetheless I appreciate them making respec a non-trivial exercise. Makes you think twice before spending skill points.

I'd agree but it sucks because the mission reward recruits come with their points spent, often poorly. I actually stopped putting points into upgrading recruits in the Armory because I stopped taking mission reward recruits. I upgraded my barracks fully even though I would never use the last 4 slots because I'd rather have a level 4 recruit from the barracks (you get to spend all the points) than a level 6 recruit with pre-spent points. The only disadvantage to this is that I never saw any of the prestige classes available via barracks. And of course by the time I realized all this, I didn't really need any new recruits even though I wasn't taking anyone with any type of injury on missions. If you're going to fully upgrade the barracks to get higher level recruits, do it early. The guys I ended up using for end game were mostly barracks recruits I had built up from level 2-3.

Alpharius

Scholar
Finally got a paladin at the end of the game, but might as well have not bothered. Paladin has lots of armor, "melee overwatch" like the death guard terminators with shield and flail, a transfer WP ability like a chaplain and thats it - not very useful.

I think he causes two afflictions on melee hit "knight just dies in x turns" and "knight just dies instead of taking critical injuries". Barely managed to kill him before anyone died with 17AP interceptor (he had chaplain's litany of hate for +1 AP on executions, a weapon with +2 AP on executions, +1 AP on crit and also the litany of hate is bugged so somehow it turned into 17 AP after executing two plaguebearers).

With the new patch i noticed that sometimes i get just +1 AP on execution and all the the modifiers from weapons and litany of hate dont do anything, so perhaps they added some kind of maximum of free AP per turn. Or maybe its a bug.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Finally got a paladin at the end of the game, but might as well have not bothered. Paladin has lots of armor, "melee overwatch" like the death guard terminators with shield and flail, a transfer WP ability like a chaplain and thats it - not very useful.

I think he causes two afflictions on melee hit "knight just dies in x turns" and "knight just dies instead of taking critical injuries". Barely managed to kill him before anyone died with 17AP interceptor (he had chaplain's litany of hate for +1 AP on executions, a weapon with +2 AP on executions, +1 AP on crit and also the litany of hate is bugged so somehow it turned into 17 AP after executing two plaguebearers).

With the new patch i noticed that sometimes i get just +1 AP on execution and all the the modifiers from weapons and litany of hate dont do anything, so perhaps they added some kind of maximum of free AP per turn. Or maybe its a bug.
Actually it’s more complicated. He casts ranged attack which ignores cover and has no limitations distance-wise. At first it has laughable damage, but it scales up with a quantity of daemons present on the map. After some threshold it becomes an instakill.

Shit I am still hesitating on my second attempt. That wipe was painful.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Paladin can be quite decent through: Fury of the Ancients is one of the best AoE. He also has a good critical hit tree, and his +Stun on Force strike is great combined with weapons that also do stuff on force strike.
I gave him a hallberd that gave AoE on force strike, and that was a decent stunning combo (especially with an apothecary supporting him with the stun biomancy). It also worked well with the pre-order lolhammer that also gives + stun on force strike. But a paladin is pointless without a Librarian to teleport him around (while justicars have charge and Interceptor are just crazy good by themselves).

Alpharius

Scholar
Stuck on pre-final boss, he always goes through the "ranged weapons are disabled" hazard on his turn, apparently wants to use a ranged weapon but cant, so he never ends his turn. Can't load an earlier save either because ironman.
:rage:

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Beat it at last. ~50 hours on a standard grand master mode. Very well done game with surprisingly high production values.

I hope to see some decent DLCs in the future that will feature similar campaigns with probably more emphasis on a sandbox experience. Though a story-driven ones would also be welcomed.

Edit: finished with ridiculous surplus of unused seeds and requisition points. How do you call in English an irresistible desire to acquire wealth without actually utilizing it?

Edit2: 1000th comment, yay!

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
Nah, its much more repetitive and less challenging than nuxcom. Still better than Mechanicus though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Nah, its much more repetitive and less challenging than nuxcom. Still better than Mechanicus though.
It's still good, because the beginning is pretty challenging, and the moment you start to get your engine rolling too. The main issue is that it happens way too early in the game.
It also has cool bosses. But yes, it is way too repetitive, and late game opponents are way too weak compared to your team.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
it is way too repetitive
I dunno, I’ve noticed some boredom started appearing only by the time I was finishing the final research. Before that I was pretty busy leveling up the secondary squad (hell was I right doing so) and respeccing the primary one. The game also throws at you constant random events that can totally wreck your plans both on strategic map and on battlefield. Warp surges during missions is pain in ass — any walk in a park mission could turn into a nightmare any time.

Skdursh

Savant
What's the verdict on this one? Worth the money? Any replay value? Usually I prefer to take the try-before-I-buy approach, but since this one is Denuvo'd, CODEX quit the scene and the people in-the-know aren't being very vocal about Denuvo-cracking I doubt that it is gonna be possible anytime soon. I watched a little bit of footage and it looks nice and meaty, but is there any real tactical challenge to it or is it pretty easy to blitz through most of it? Steam reviews look positive, but Steam reviewers also typically have a sub 40 IQ and spend most of their money on "one-handed" Visual Novels. Also, heard the DLC is absolute shit and basically just a pay-to-win addition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom