Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War - turn-based 4X from Slitherine

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing my first real game on hard with Necrons. Are they as OP as it seems, I steamrolled Tau and Tyranids, I'm finishing off Chaos and the Orcs are driving into my flank but I fought them back with a detachment of my dudes. My guys just seem to autorepair too fast for anybody to be a real threat. Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the faction difference, for example with all the neat lore-friendly stuff Tyranids get, synapse, bio-mass, all that. I'm really happy it's not another Slitherine shovelware.

MdihDbI.jpg

Citizen

Playing my first real game on hard with Necrons. Are they as OP as it seems, I steamrolled Tau and Tyranids, I'm finishing off Chaos and the Orcs are driving into my flank but I fought them back with a detachment of my dudes. My guys just seem to autorepair too fast for anybody to be a real threat. Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the faction difference, for example with all the neat lore-friendly stuff Tyranids get, synapse, bio-mass, all that. I'm really happy it's not another Slitherine shovelware.

Yeah, I played the games on release and also had an impression that necrons were the most overtuned faction. But I think this lack of balance is a pretty minor thing for a (mostly) SP game, at least they got the faction diversity right

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Necrons are considered to be the strongest faction along with Chaos Space Marines. Necrons have a very easy economy to manage, their units hit hard and the constant HP regen makes them a real threat. Tau is currently the strongest faction however. The devs need to tune them down a lot, because they snowball into disgusting levels of OP.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Necrons are considered to be the strongest faction along with Chaos Space Marines. Necrons have a very easy economy to manage, their units hit hard and the constant HP regen makes them a real threat. Tau is currently the strongest faction however. The devs need to tune them down a lot, because they snowball into disgusting levels of OP.

its the greater good working as intended.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

its the greater good working as intended.

Heresy!

:imperialscum:

in the end i abandoned this game pretty soon, and i know why: you rarely, if ever, play by your opponent's rules. you build your wall of miniatures and always use the same (extremely few) skills regardless what you're facing. in a game based 90% on combat, it's a mortal sin.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I have began playing this recently, and i find it quite awesome! The AI is decent and the game is HARD, and i love me some Warhammer 40K. I love also that it uses Vulkan and is Linux native, it is awesome with the latest MESA on AMD gpus. It just needs to use ACO, for some reason it crashed on me with the default shader compiler. It is essentially Civilization Warhammer 40K edition. The only real downside i can think of is that it really needs the DLC to be fleshed out (more races and more units per race) and the cost is relatively high to get them all, but that is what summer sales are for.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I stopped playing the game after I got tired of restarting maps until the braindead map generation wouldn't place my Imps on unsuitable terrain without food.
That's such a basic thing, that getting it wrong really left without any desire to play further.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I stopped playing the game after I got tired of restarting maps until the braindead map generation wouldn't place my Imps on unsuitable terrain without food.
That's such a basic thing, that getting it wrong really left without any desire to play further.

Dude, you deserve that for playing imps. LOL.

Seriously though, unless you are playing on higher difficulties you don't usually need a restart. And playing on higher difficulties + restartscumming is a gaming stapple since the original Sid Meyer's Civilization... Most people who play 4Xs do it at high difficulties, it is almost a given. If you dislike it, play Space marines :D

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously though, unless you are playing on higher difficulties you don't usually need a restart. And playing on higher difficulties + restartscumming is a gaming stapple since the original Sid Meyer's Civilization... Most people who play 4Xs do it at high difficulties, it is almost a given. If you dislike it, play Space marines :D
You spelled Necrons wrong
Space Marines have a weak end game which forces you to get agressive early on, which may require some help from the map too.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Imps have it rough. Restarting the game isn't going to help you much - you just have to tough it out until you get some heavier weapons. There's a new unit pack that introduces Chimera as a Tier 1 tank unit for the IG that I'll buy today when the summer sale hits, so we'll see if that helps smooth out their early game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Imps have it rough.
No doubt, and I'm fine with that, balance-wise.
I don't care for all races being "perfectly balanced".

I did play for a few hours, and Imps get pretty strong once you get artillery, but in the end with the lack of any meaningful campaign and that nonsensical restart-until-you-get-trees I just didn't feel the need to play more.
If they added some kind of conquest campaign, that would be my jam.
But that won't happen.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
But that's the fun about it, using different strategy just because you started in unfavorable terrain.

I also liked when early swarms of IG was fighting with swarms of my orcs. It made refreshing gameplay in comparison to normal slugging fest between armored units.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
But that's the fun about it, using different strategy just because you started in unfavorable terrain.
That's not a "different strategy", that's just gimping without reason.
You will be even more vulnerable than you normally are due to lack of troops early on.
It's not like it allows you to do something else instead (you have ONE possible unit to build for the first turns, and then maybe a second one), you simply have less choices and possibilities overall.

Combine that with bollocks like being surrounded by five castellan robots with no way to expand or explore (yes, that happened to me, and more than once) or quests that are radically detrimental to your progress (by just spawning a fully staffed enemy base right next to your door while you are fighting somewhere else).
The game is just a prime example of how not to do procedural generation - by making everything just random without any kind of thought or design put into it.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
As for the Robots, you should just avoid them, if you don't attack them they may leave you alone for a time. Don't draw aggro. They typically aren't very aggressive on their own. Just be patient, imps are definitely a late game faction.

The only thing that is REALLY bullshit in this game is the Lord of Skulls. Fuck this. Just. Fuck. This. I played an imp campaign 3 days ago, and as i progressed the imps quest (with the Tech priest and his army at the end), AND the Lord of Skulls appeared at the same place, while i was having a war with most of the army away from their position.... FUCK THIS SHIT.

The worst thing about the imps is their quest. First they sent an army of high level enslavers at your cities, and then a techpriest with a huge army spawns near your capital. Yeah rite.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
As for the Robots, you should just avoid them, if you don't attack them they may leave you alone for a time. Don't draw aggro. They typically aren't very aggressive on their own. Just be patient, imps are definitely a late game faction.
Well, yes, if there is one or two. My starting position was entirely surrounded by them.
I didn't aggro, I just sat there doing nothing for who knows how long - and that's just not fun to play, it's like watching paint dry.

The worst thing about the imps is their quest. First they sent an army of high level enslavers at your cities, and then a techpriest with a huge army spawns near your capital. Yeah rite.
Is it always the same quest?
The worst is that quests are not optional. I wasn't even trying to do a quest, when suddenly I fulfilled some goal and that city with an army popped up between me and the faction I was fighting. ON A PLACE I HAD SCOUTED ALREADY.
"You did well, son. And now, kindly get fucked."

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well, yes, if there is one or two. My starting position was entirely surrounded by them.
I didn't aggro, I just sat there doing nothing for who knows how long - and that's just not fun to play, it's like watching paint dry.

Is it always the same quest?
The worst is that quests are not optional. I wasn't even trying to do a quest, when suddenly I fulfilled some goal and that city with an army popped up between me and the faction I was fighting. ON A PLACE I HAD SCOUTED ALREADY.
"You did well, son. And now, kindly get fucked."

The Lord of Skulls thing you can disable, i haven't noticed if you can disable the questline too, i suppose you can. It is just a victory type, if you beat it you win the map, so i suppose you can disable it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
C'mon these are just robots. They are awesome when you get influence and ore from murdering them. In my previous game my orc party shot everytghibng left and right mostly enemies, when they found some of these large robots, attacked and my warboss fought with two of them at same time. He got so much influence and ore I could get another warboss. He had a dusk blade and kinda wanted to stay alive by attacking them, which killed one of them in the process. However IG setlement wouldn't kill itself with higher probablility than 3 percent, thus he had to go kill that IG setlement.

After that we seen there was a different IG faction behind 14 units of imperial guards and scions we murdered, and that faction has tanks. Which only our warboss can kill, because we were too bussy with killing IG and didn't make proper economy, and bigger war machines.

Then I placed a city two tiles in wrong position, found there is no way how to migrate city to correct place, and started new game.

Which is called. In the middle of volcanic mountains started an orc settlement. In far east behind some enslavers there are two tiles of green with orc fungus near edge of the map. And on the other direction, there is another large swatch of wasteland, which seems to have some arctic behind these swarms of enemies that are completely impossible to obliterate with starting units, because there are another enslavers. Amazing starting income of +1 food and three units, quickly turned into -1 when settlement grown. (All capturable locations were either energy, or ore. With a smudge of research.)

I actually started to plant some orc fungus, with thought perhaps enemies wouldn't bother with volcanic wasteland and would fight each other.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Got the unit packs, really enjoying what Chimera bring to the AM/IG early and mid game. Really, really helpful shit, and a lot of fun ferrying my troops around and using them to block enemies from attacking my squishy troops.

The faction questlines are entirely optional. Just don't complete the objectives and you're fine. No one is forcing you to do them. If you complete a couple in the beginning who cares - you get some free resources, loot or troops as a reward.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
In addition, you can disable quests in menu, and decrease number of artifacts to low.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Why people play IG? Just curious. I always found them bland. I was always a Space marine fanboi.
Underdog + power fantasy. I like the idea of playing "normal" humans against impossible high tech aliens and still being victorious. Plus I like the tanks and heavy artillery. I'm more of a Tau and Eldar player, but I enjoy all factions (except 'Nids, don't really care for them).

tyranids master race. the only one who aren't evil assholes. just hungry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom