Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Gameplay Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader

PC Gamer broadcast a special 2023 Preview edition of their PC Gaming Show today to showcase some of next year's releases. I don't know if Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is actually launching next year, but it was the only Codex-relevant title to appear during the event. Although we've seen snippets of in-engine footage in previous dev diaries, this is Rogue Trader's first proper gameplay trailer, offering a glimpse at its star map, turn-based combat against various foes, and general exploration. There's no user interface yet though, which makes it hard to get a feel for things.

Rogue Trader now has store pages on Steam and GOG as well, so update your wishlists. No word yet on the alpha release.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Art direction is one step away from this:
yvvsv1bc9gzkr0jjrvmx.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trailer is good, but what part of content is "Trader"?

I mean, I certainly can pay attention to such a game but "trader"? Where?

Rogue Traders don't necessarily do much trade. In universe it's probably a legacy terminology.
Rogue Traders will often do high stakes negotiating and so on for setting up new trade/shipping routes, but they don't personally do much trading as they have employees for that.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Looks good enough, especially without the cartoon cutscenes.

Whether the gameplay and story will deliver is another question.

Sin2x

Scholar
Looks as generic and cheap as Pathfinders were, can't quite put a finger on it but the lack of flair is distinctive. Kinda reminds me of Shadowrun -- B-tier games.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Would have to know more about the systems. And I hope they got the memo to make the game shorter so someone would actually be bothered to finish it. Kingmaker and WoR both had the issue of most fights becoming trivial once you got haste, which happened like 1/5 mark of the whole game.

Shin

Cipher
I always thought Warhammer 40K looked/sounded kinda cool, but since that was a *very* expensive hobby, I stuck to video game (this is not al all a ploy to assure you that it was *definitely* not for a lack of friends). Resulting in that I know about nothing about W40K except for the DoW games.
Does Warhammer (and/or 40K) have a tabletop experience equivalent to D&D? I know the regular W40K games took place on a giant table with rulers and lots of heavy weaponry and shit, but I'd expect that to be a useless ruleset for a game such as this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought Warhammer 40K looked/sounded kinda cool, but since that was a *very* expensive hobby, I stuck to video game (this is not al all a ploy to assure you that it was *definitely* not for a lack of friends). Resulting in that I know about nothing about W40K except for the DoW games.
Does Warhammer (and/or 40K) have a tabletop experience equivalent to D&D? I know the regular W40K games took place on a giant table with rulers and lots of heavy weaponry and shit, but I'd expect that to be a useless ruleset for a game such as this.
Similarly to Owlcat's Pathfinder games, Rogue Trader is based on a tabletop roleplaying game of the same name by Fantasy Flight Games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trader_(role-playing_game)

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Looks as generic and cheap as Pathfinders were, can't quite put a finger on it but the lack of flair is distinctive. Kinda reminds me of Shadowrun -- B-tier games.
The Shadowrun games were pretty good. (Well, not the first one, but that wasn't as bad as people claim either.)

If this is like a Shadowrun game, it'll be better than I hoped. The style is a bit too comic-like, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It has many. Dark Heresy is probably the most popular, though all the systems resemble each other in terms of structure.

Vatnik Wumao
Similarly to Owlcat's Pathfinder games, Rogue Trader is based on a tabletop roleplaying game of the same name by Fantasy Flight Games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trader_(role-playing_game)
Since he asked for Wh40k TTRPGs in general, there's also Dark Heresy (inquisitor-focused), Only War (guardsman-focused), Deathwatch (astartes-focused) and Black Crusade (chaos-focused) besides the aforementioned Rogue Trader.

Trailer is good, but what part of content is "Trader"?

I mean, I certainly can pay attention to such a game but "trader"? Where?
Think less merchant, more explorer. Trade might occur, but that's not the main focus.

Sin2x

Scholar
The Shadowrun games were pretty good. (Well, not the first one, but that wasn't as bad as people claim either.)

If this is like a Shadowrun game, it'll be better than I hoped. The style is a bit too comic-like, though.
B-tier *is* good, whereas A(AA) is excellent. Pathfinder games were not excellent, neither were the modern Shadowrun games. They were good, though. I just hoped that Owlcat would up their game a bit, like to A- at least.

Gromlintroid

Learned

I always think of this when Rogue Trader is mentioned.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I really hope there is an option to

>Talk
>Trade
>PURGE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom