Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Gameplay Trailer

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It could be a lot better—and in order to be worth playing, it MUST be a lot better.

Take, for example, Jagged Alliance 2. After having played it, from that point onward, my expectations were more-or-less set. I might have settled for less while I waited for another squad-level tactical RPG that was as great as (or better than!) JA2 to come along, but I was always waiting for the real deal.

We're still waiting, across all genres and subgenres. We've played the best, we've played a lot of second- and third-bests, and at this point we're down to ninth- and ten-bests... yet sad people with a lot of free time to burn and nothing else going on in their lives apparently just need something to fill the empty hours, so they buy and play the latest tenth-best piece of shit.

In all seriousness, have some self-respect and cultivate a new hobby.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
yet sad people with a lot of free time to burn and nothing else going on in their lives apparently just need something to fill the empty hours, so they buy and play the latest tenth-best piece of shit.

remind me again how much you spent on star citizen

(inb4 "b-but i sold that stuff")

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We're still waiting, across all genres and subgenres. We've played the best, we've played a lot of second- and third-bests, and at this point we're down to ninth- and ten-bests...

There were a lot B and C-level games in recent years but Grimoire and Underrail are the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Rennaisance era IMO

Sin2x

Scholar
Looks like complete shit, tbh. Generic fantasy game #345.

A big part about wh40k are the impossibly big gunz they are shooting. Where is the gore? This feels like they are shooting BB guns at the enemies.
Translating the kind of artwork you can see in the tabletop roguetrader books ,it requires skills owlcat simply doesnt have,they arent so bad but cleary not at the same level. Who was really expecting that to happen ? There's probably no will to make it more faithful either its warhamer mainstream version as usual. It could be a lot worse, have a look at the other warhammer pc games and mmo.
Take a look at Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate or or Dawn of War III (that is 5 years old), they have much better graphics.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Looks as generic and cheap as Pathfinders were, can't quite put a finger on it but the lack of flair is distinctive. Kinda reminds me of Shadowrun -- B-tier games.
The Shadowrun games were pretty good. (Well, not the first one, but that wasn't as bad as people claim either.)

If this is like a Shadowrun game, it'll be better than I hoped. The style is a bit too comic-like, though.
I think the best one was Hong Kong. That felt the most refined to me and had the best characters.
The first one was pretty mediocre and Dragonfall was a little better but forgettable.

Looks like complete shit, tbh. Generic fantasy game #345.

A big part about wh40k are the impossibly big gunz they are shooting. Where is the gore? This feels like they are shooting BB guns at the enemies.
Translating the kind of artwork you can see in the tabletop roguetrader books ,it requires skills owlcat simply doesnt have,they arent so bad but cleary not at the same level. Who was really expecting that to happen ? There's probably no will to make it more faithful either its warhamer mainstream version as usual. It could be a lot worse, have a look at the other warhammer pc games and mmo.
Take a look at Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate or or Dawn of War III (that is 5 years old), they have much better graphics.
You know you fucked up when a game released in 1998 has better graphics than your modern game.
:P

I know you're probably referring to demon hunters, but it's still funny to me.

i hope we get some warp horrors better than fish

yeah that floating fish was an add choice to showcase

This is Warhammer 40k, where are demons, gene stealers, orks?
Those are popamole basic bitch tier.
Bring out the Enslavers, Slaugth, and psychneunin.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
It could be a lot worse

the exact kind of attitude that brought us decline
Indeed by lack of choice but chilling mediocre indies or even game mods like the codex does is not any better.
In all seriousness, have some self-respect and cultivate a new hobby.
You are unhappy about the guys who produced not one but two codex GOTY ! Why are you even still posting here? You all should be super excited about a game from developpers people worship here.

zapotec

Liturgist
Did they talk about the ruleset used? The Warhammer 40k one based on the Warhammer fantasy rpg right? I am curios about the implementation.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Those are popamole basic bitch tier.
Bring out the Enslavers, Slaugth, and psychneunin.

true but they are recognizable
All the more reason to use them. It would be more surprising for the player, especially one new to the franchise, to see something esoteric like a Rak'gol pushing their shit in rather than yet another ork.
Besides, worrying about "recognizable" when we're talking about a niche video game set in a niche (albeit relatively well known) setting is pointless. Especially when that sort of concern is what leads to flanderization and bland corporate shit. I would rather not see main faction xenos shoved in everywhere out of some desire for brand recognition.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I mean it could look better, it could really look worse, i know the writing is going to be gay but its not worse visually than dawn of war, although relic was on another level. Very hyped for homeworld 3 btw. Visuals are the issue for me. Wrath of the righteous is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
remind me again how much you spent on star citizen

(inb4 "b-but i sold that stuff")

I'll have to refresh your memory because that was a decade ago.

I never joined the cult. I saw the writing on the wall immediately and sold out of Star Citizen shortly after its crowdfunding campaign wrapped up, in 2013. That's the key area where your memory appears to need refreshing.

Furthermore, I pledged large sums toward games you probably like, or at least wish you'd liked, including $1,000 (or was it $2,000?) to Numanuma, with no real thought of the backer rewards (which amounted mostly to an art print).

Not to worry, though: I learned my lesson and haven't spent a dime on empty crowdfunding promises since then, nor will I again. It was indeed foolish for me to trust all of these indolent has-beens, and not just Chris Roberts.

Fool me once, shame on me, etc. They got me real good... once.

I've essentially spent the last two years kayaking, hiking, backcountry camping, and fly fishing. I'm serious when I suggest cultivating another hobby, it's not facile advice.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Art direction is one step away from this:
yvvsv1bc9gzkr0jjrvmx.png
Actually i think the one above is superior. No joke. Of curse it is shit and wouldn't be good for Owlcat (or would it?) but at least it is distinct. At least i would remember it after playing a 40k game. Unlike Owlcat's "style". It worked somewhat for kingmaker but warhammer + futuristic setting? No way.

As someone said, f**k graphics, give me good gameplay and less nonsense/superfluous text/wokeness.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Looks as generic and cheap as Pathfinders were, can't quite put a finger on it but the lack of flair is distinctive. Kinda reminds me of Shadowrun -- B-tier games.
The Shadowrun games were pretty good. (Well, not the first one, but that wasn't as bad as people claim either.)

If this is like a Shadowrun game, it'll be better than I hoped. The style is a bit too comic-like, though.
B-tier *is* good, whereas A(AA) is excellent. Pathfinder games were not excellent, neither were the modern Shadowrun games. They were good, though. I just hoped that Owlcat would up their game a bit, like to A- at least.

Then tell us which games do you consider A/AA from the last decade?
Hmmmm. Divinity and Pillars are the only ones that get close, I guess. There weren't true A(AA) CRPGs since 2009's DAO. Rather sad state of affairs, come to think of it.
Because DAO was such a great game. Sad state of affair indeed... is not. The fact that there aren't many A(AA) crpgs is good for the genre. If we had more DAOs people would play even less indies that at least try to do something right even if sometimes miss the mark. We already have enough threads about Witchers and Skyrims as is.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We're still waiting, across all genres and subgenres. We've played the best, we've played a lot of second- and third-bests, and at this point we're down to ninth- and ten-bests...

There were a lot B and C-level games in recent years but Grimoire and Underrail are the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Rennaisance era IMO

Sorry, and KotC 2

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sorry, and KotC 2
KotC 1 is also exceptional. I wouldn't say AoD is exceptional but its a good RPG and DR is a good combat sim.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's frustratingly sad that W40K is taking the artistic direction of WoW color puke, and this game isn't even the first instance of it happening.
Blame GW. They've been going in that direction for a while. I blame American zoomers.

I blame poorfag Russians. If they had a proper budget that could sustain a larger art team, they wouldn't always need the cop-out of using Wow puke.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That could be it too, but Warhammer has been adopting that sort of "cartoony" WoW look for a while now. It could be a bit of both.
I mean hell, some of the new Votann units look straight up like Starcraft terrans.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Why can't lasers shoot through sand bags? Watched in 480p but models and art direction look pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom