Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lore is important part of gatekeeping, how trivial it all may seem.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh no, how dare you call the bolter an assault rifle! The projectiles are way bigger!
Not. The. Point!

Projectiles also explode, you absolute cretin!
Tell me more about how I mischaracterized your favourite imaginary gun.

I guess in Codex friedly terms exploading ammo means:
1. bolter = rpg
2. assaut rifle = disco elysium
It's all good just so long as you don't make the Disco Elysium = RPG error that's common among the inbred.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Oh no, how dare you call the bolter an assault rifle! The projectiles are way bigger!
Not. The. Point!

1. bolter = rpg
It's all good just so long as you don't make the Disco Elysium = RPG error that's common among the inbred.
And now you know why the thread is suddenly up in arms against you. You just made the same mistake regarding bolters and assault rifles.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not. The. Point!

1. bolter = rpg
And now you know why the thread is suddenly up in arms against you. You just made the same mistake regarding bolters and assault rifles.
What do you mean? Assault rifles are way cooler than your virgin Halo gun or whatever.

Reinhardt

Arcane
What is the fucking deal with warhammer faggots and the "bolter?" Serious question. Literally EVERY FUCKING TIME anything even vaguely related to warhammer 40k is released or even brought up, some sperg appears from the tall grass to ask about the bolter, is the bolter in? does the bolter sound good? what does the bolter look like? Star wars fans give fewer fucks about lightsabers than you subhumans do about your fantasyland's version of the basic assault rifle.
:imperialscum:
ar15!

ArchAngel

Arcane
nurgle is easiest to implement. just make game about zombies and shit.

Case in point: Darktide is literally Left4Dead with 40k aesthetics.

Game's kind of shit but the bolter is so fucking good that I'm waiting for them to add content so I can play more.

It only has like 15 rounds per mag but it straight up deletes anything that's not a boss, even on Damnation.

:shredder:
What is the fucking deal with warhammer faggots and the "bolter?" Serious question. Literally EVERY FUCKING TIME anything even vaguely related to warhammer 40k is released or even brought up, some sperg appears from the tall grass to ask about the bolter, is the bolter in? does the bolter sound good? what does the bolter look like? Star wars fans give fewer fucks about lightsabers than you subhumans do about your fantasyland's version of the basic assault rifle.

Big gun go big boom make penis big.

Big gun no big boom? Made by weak men. Maybe space elf shit.

No buy game.
That is some quality roleplaying Ork boy.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
nurgle is easiest to implement. just make game about zombies and shit.

Case in point: Darktide is literally Left4Dead with 40k aesthetics.

Game's kind of shit but the bolter is so fucking good that I'm waiting for them to add content so I can play more.

It only has like 15 rounds per mag but it straight up deletes anything that's not a boss, even on Damnation.

:shredder:

Big gun go big boom make penis big.

Big gun no big boom? Made by weak men. Maybe space elf shit.

No buy game.
That is some quality roleplaying Ork boy.
Nah, it wasn't. This would be:

Big gun go dakka dakka make WAAAGH! big.

Big gun no dakka dakka? Made by weak 'umies. Maybe space elf shit.

No loot game.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
40k is rule of cool above functionality. Tgis applies to weapons.

One more question. How similar is the cosmology of 40k and fantasy/age of sigmar? I was reading a bit and would love an proper crpg set in Ulgu.

ageofsigmar.fandom.com/wiki/Realm_of_Ulgu

Sorry for the noob questions. I am new to wh lore.

Also Fantasy and AoS are very different, and some fans tend to get frothing at the mouth if you mention the latter. A lot of people consider AoS non canon.

As for Fantasy and 40k, a long time ago GW considered the fantasy setting as just one world in the wider 40k verse, but this was changed. They share a few common things like Storyfag mentioned: Chaos is basically the same (they have weird scifi units in fantasy because of this btw), the progenitor race the Old Ones exist in both and served the same purpose, and the elves in both are essentially copy paste jobs with a similar (if not exactly identical?) pantheon.

Magic however, is completely different.

Humbaba

Arcane

One more question. How similar is the cosmology of 40k and fantasy/age of sigmar? I was reading a bit and would love an proper crpg set in Ulgu.

AoS is trash and is to be disregarded.

40k magic is explained as volatile warp energies channeled through psykers or farseers or whatever the faction's wizards are called. No schools or winds as in WFB. Exception being the Orks, whose magic is completely separate from the warp and is drawn instead from waaagh energy.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Nowhere near the same.
The only constant are the Chaos Gods and the Realms of Chaos/Warp being the source of supernatural phenomena. Other than that they're fairly different.
Winds of Magic is just not a concept that exists in 40k. In fantasy, yes because that's how magic worked, a wizard would literally control and divert the Winds to do his bidding.
In 40k you need to have some natural aptitude to connect to the Warp and manifest psionic powers, which is a huge risk because you're basically acting as a lighthouse to all sorts of otherworldly horrors.
You really don't want to be a psyker in 40k. Being a Wizard in Fantasy is comparatively safer, I think. Well, unless you miscast that is.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If they include all the major xenos races I'll buy the game just for having the ambition to do that. I can't think of a single game besides Dawn of War I that did that, and they had to do it in installments and still missed the 'nids.
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 has in the base game:

-Empire (Divided in Navy, Astartes and Mechanicus each one with different ships)
-Chaos (With a subfaction per god)
-Eldar (Corsairs and Craftworld)
-Dark Eldar
-Orks
-Necrons
-Tyranids
-Tau

Also has a bitching soundtrack, memorable voice acting and the four campaigns are what-if scenarios that change the galaxy forever.
How is that game compared with first one? I didn't play the sequel yet, don't know if I need to since I spent a fair bit of hours playing the first one.
Second allows multiple fleets and has less story missions. Its like you capture enemy planets, defend your planets, get resources from the planets to build more ships. If i'm not mistaken the whole map is available at the start of the game with main bases for each faction, and you can defeat a faction by capturing its base. So more of a strategy game.

The space battles are more or less the same.

I think i liked the first one more.

The second game is much longer (as in 60 hours per campaign playthrough) and much more focussed on the strategic layer (you need to earn points to cover upkeep of your fleets and build new ones, you can lose the game on the strategic layer if you dont pay attention to the economy), while the tactical layer is arguable somewhat simplified (there are only like two mission types aside of the strory missions, no planetary bombardment and such things as in the first game).

Peachcurl

Cipher

40k magic is explained as volatile warp energies channeled through psykers or farseers or whatever the faction's wizards are called. No schools or winds as in WFB. Exception being the Orks, whose magic is completely separate from the warp and is drawn instead from waaagh energy.
Are you sure about "waaagh energy"? It seems that some sources describe this as simply their own type of chaos magic. Different color, same thing. (Although I never bothered to check whether those are in-setting descriptions, meaning that some humans think this is how it works, not necessarily that it actually works like that.)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You really don't want to be a psyker in 40k. Being a Wizard in Fantasy is comparatively safer, I think. Well, unless you miscast that is.
It is safer even with most miscasts.

You're much less likely to summon a gateway into the warp and have your entire planet invaded by sex demons, only to get nuked whenever the inquisition arrives.

So, yeah probably.

Humbaba

Arcane

Are you sure about "waaagh energy"? It seems that some sources describe this as simply their own type of chaos magic. Different color, same thing. (Although I never bothered to check whether those are in-setting descriptions, meaning that some humans think this is how it works, not necessarily that it actually works like that.)
I'm very sure about waaagh energy.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
To give an idea of how fucked you are if you're a psyker -
There's a bit of old fluff dating back from...4th edition, I think, about how demons perceive the world from the warp.
To them, every mortal soul shows up as a speck of light.
Except for psykers. Their souls show up as massive stars, and the stronger they are, the bigger it is.

So every demon knows exactly where you are, because they can see you and are drawn to you.
You're basically born with the Mark of Sacrifice from Berserk, except you don't get Skull Knight, you don't get Dragonslayer, and you certainly don't get plot armour.
Oh, and whenever you use those powers you have, which you would think would be the one good thing about being a psyker, you're basically spreading your metaphysical buttcheeks apart and inviting them to hop in.
So yeah, being a psyker sucks, and that's not even getting into the cultural stigma that the IoM feels towards them, because as it turns out, not many people trust those who can spontaneously turn into a demonic flesh portal.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
To give an idea of how fucked you are if you're a psyker -
There's a bit of old fluff dating back from...4th edition, I think, about how demons perceive the world from the warp.
To them, every mortal soul shows up as a speck of light.
Except for psykers. Their souls show up as massive stars, and the stronger they are, the bigger it is.

So every demon knows exactly where you are, because they can see you and are drawn to you.
You're basically born with the Mark of Sacrifice from Berserk, except you don't get Skull Knight, you don't get Dragonslayer, and you certainly don't get plot armour.
Oh, and whenever you use those powers you have, which you would think would be the one good thing about being a psyker, you're basically spreading your metaphysical buttcheeks apart and inviting them to hop in.
So yeah, being a psyker sucks, and that's not even getting into the cultural stigma that the IoM feels towards them, because as it turns out, not many people trust those who can spontaneously turn into a demonic flesh portal.
You forgot the part where you are lucky to even get that far. If you are a psyker but not good at it, you just become one of the 10 000 that are daily sacrificed to the Emperor.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Camel

Scholar
Actually you’re not wrong. The bolters are as iconic for Warhammer40k as the lightsabers are for the Star Wars.
To a Space Marine, the boltgun is far more than a weapon; it is an instrument of Mankind's divinity, the bringer of death to his foes. Its howling blast is a prayer to the gods of battle.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom