Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
So just got my alpha access and so far the game is great when it comes to atmosphere and characters.
Though I think I found a lesbo(not sure yet) a cold trader female. If true, well at least you have the option of executing her, instead of dealing with her/forcing her into your service.
Also anybody know how to join chaos?
Or rather where that path starts?

There is one planet you can find where the locals worship chaos and there is an option to talk to the local demon. The biggest chaos thing is on Kiava Gamma (you can check couple pages back to see my playthrough).

What about the combat? How many bolter rounds in the face you can take before dying?

Very few, a chaos space marine can take out characters in one round of shooting - happened to me a few times. Combat is generally fun and there are lots of enemy types.

Are the enemies super buffed like in the Pathfinder games and lastly,

Never played Pathfinder. In any case most of the fights feel very challenging, but are manageable if you use the abilities of your party members well.

how does the itemization works?

In general, most items are trash (especially vast majority of the stuff you collect from mooks), but serve other purposes (you can sell packages of trash items to various factions. The stuff that is worth taking can be bought from faction traders or taken from high level enemies. There are lots of items you can equip, ranging from clothing, to books, talismans and gadgets.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/19

ROGUE TRADER CONTENT DIGEST – FOURTH QUARTER OF 2022​

And here we are again, in January of 2023. Before we start a new year of exciting reveals and news about Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader let us look at what we showed in the last four months of 2022. Also, if you have only recently started to follow our development, we recommend you check out our previous digest.

So let us start with the most exciting part of our reveals - companions. We showed a good selection of them during the Autumn and early Winter.

We kicked things off with Battle Sister Argenta! Many of those who were lucky enough to try out the closed Alpha already fell in love with her ability to purge heretics with the flamer like no one else. And we totally understand.

If you enjoy purging heretics then there’s more than just the Adepta Sororitas to assist you. The Holy Inquisition also joins the action, specifically Interrogator Heinrix van Calox, a powerful psyker who can go mano-a-mano against just about anything thanks to his psychic abilities and fancy swordplay.

Oh, too much blind faith for you? Well, first of all, visit your local inquisitorial office. If you, somehow, are still alive after this refreshing experience then check out our first xenos companion in the party, Aeldari Ranger - Yrliet Lanaevyss. And yes, the first. That means that there will be more. Just wait a little bit for the details!

Last, but certainly not least is Jae Heydari, a successful Cold Trader who joins your crew for exclusively business reasons. Or so she says. Some of you had a really good memory and spotted that it was her who helped us tease the game reveal back in May!
4adbc65774e3cce1ca7cff5251a868a5.jpg

We also brought you more portraits of important NPCs. Your predecessor Theodora von Valancius, the Vox Master of your ship and the Archon of the Reaving Tempest, Iremeryss.

Let’s keep going with all that great art with a look at the book event’s art. These are as Warhammer as you can get, dripping with details and flavor of a grim and dark future. For those, who are new to our games - this art will show up in the game as illustrations for book events, they are close to text quests in terms of what you do.

And to finish hyping up our artists (they 100% deserve this, though) - concept art! We showed a lot of this in the last four months. Your companions, enemies, NPCs in general, and even a banner of the Von Valancius family!

90144e72a05439674253efa2c5a1e77b.jpg

1f600ad8bb463692e1b12830ab3d47bb.jpg

The pictures are cool, but what about the videos? Oh, we have some pretty cool videos for you. For example, a dev. diary about Rogue Traders – who they are, what they will do, and what choices they are forced to make. Everything is neatly packed in one video.

And a new trailer! Trailers are cool, especially when they are about the gameplay. And we’ve released just that! A good imperial citizen should play it every morning, or so we heard. The only thing that you can use as a substitution is our main theme.

For those who enjoy nitty-gritty details about the process of game development, there’s something for you too – enjoy!

That’s it! 2022 was great if you are a fan of us or Warhammer 40,000 in general. We can’t thank you enough for the support you have shown us throughout the year. And we can assure you, there are more things to come — we're just getting started!

Last edited:

Joyvankek

Learned
So just got my alpha access and so far the game is great when it comes to atmosphere and characters.
Though I think I found a lesbo(not sure yet) a cold trader female. If true, well at least you have the option of executing her, instead of dealing with her/forcing her into your service.
Also anybody know how to join chaos?
Or rather where that path starts?
:imperialscum::imperialscum:
You misunderstood brother.
I want to know where that path begins, so I can exterminatus the planet it starts on.
I got the inquisitor's right hand here, and I'm sure he will approve.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
What about the combat? How many bolter rounds in the face you can take before dying? Are the enemies super buffed like in the Pathfinder games and lastly, how does the itemization works?

Did the final battle of Janus last night (which can be different based on the path you take). Whole thing was over in three rounds, through judicious use of abilities.This is the case for most combats I find, except where the arena is way too big and you have to go chase something down. Like a servitor that, after 3 rounds, has still not yet reached the fight because of stupid robot legs.

Using Argenta's heroic I can frequently remove 6 or 7 enemies in a single turn, and have a leader give her a couple more shots later in the round too. If I have a complaint about something it's that the classes homogenise - By level 15 all Soldiers will have the exact same skills, with variation only in talents. And Adepts are really AP-hungry and need a Leader to feed them.

Last edited:

Softgels

Scholar
Oh, too much blind faith for you? Well, first of all, visit your local inquisitorial office. If you, somehow, are still alive after this refreshing experience then check out our first xenos companion in the party, Aeldari Ranger - Yrliet Lanaevyss. And yes, the first. That means that there will be more. Just wait a little bit for the details!

:bounce:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will this game allows ridiculous things, like an psyker being a follower of Khorne? WotR allowed you to be a cleric of pharasma and go full lich master of undead creating undeads is the greatest abomination in her cult. So I can't wait to see the many paths in this game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't even think there is a build in "heresy path" right now Parsimonious cook ?

Like from what few I played the most you can go is "ultra opportunist that deal in Chaos/Xeno artifacts for moolah"?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't even think there is a build in "heresy path" right now Parsimonious cook ?

Like from what few I played the most you can go is "ultra opportunist that deal in Chaos/Xeno artifacts for moolah"?

I didnt try the chaos paths when they arised, but from the implications of the choices that were available you can become an outright heretic in the Alpha:

There is a planet where the local governor invites you to witness a local feast. If you accept, you get to see a spectacle of mutants and outright chaos sorcery, the governor than tells you that the magic powers come from an entity that lives in this star system - you have an option to seek the entity out (a major demon, I think of Tzeentch) and ask to become its "herald."

There might be some chaos option on Janus, where the governor leads a Slaanesh cult, though I just purged the unlean right away, so I dont really know.

On Kiava Gamma there is a massive turning point relevant way past the Alpha - you find a chaos cogitator that Heinrix (apparently a radical) wants to use in order to gain intelligence on the main chaos conspiracy that you face in the game. You have an option to kill Heinrix and keep the cogitator for yourself. Moreover, Word Bearers psyker attacks you and spends a while talking to you in your head - he reveals that your predecessor fell to chaos and you can do so too, it appears that there is an option to work with Word Bearers later on if you want to.

Plus it seems you can work with Dark Eldar on some level too

There seems to be an option to hand Heinrix over to Dark Eldar at one point, which could open a path to work with them later on - I suspect that there is a conflict between Word Bearers and Dark Eldar regarding the main plot and it might be possible to take sides even on the side of evil.

However the actual fall to chaos would most likely happen in the later part of the game, which is not in the Alpha yet.

Archon of the Reaving Tempest, Iremeryss.

Me: :hmmm: trying to figure out if a Dark Eldar Archon is a dude or lady.

Dark Eldar: Yes.
It looks like an ugly lesbian to me.

I am p. sure the Archon is confirmed as female at the end of the Alpha.

Joyvankek

Learned
That's pretty interesting, game seems much more open than I thought.

Unfortunately we can't go green and praise Mork instead
Heresy!
Why would rightful rulers of the stars, the greatest species of them all; consider worshipping Omnissiah damned "god" of screaming fungus commonly known as orks?
That's pretty interesting, game seems much more open than I thought.

Unfortunately we can't go green and praise Mork instead
Oi, whaddabout Gork, ya grot?
Same as the above, the Machine God and Omnissiah are the only divine beings that are worthy of worshipping.

Joyvankek

Learned
Same as the above, the Machine God and Omnissiah are the only divine beings that are worthy of worshipping.
Suggesting that the Machine God and the Omnissiah are different beings is heresy.
Omnissiah is the avatar of Machine God.
It's how Machine God decided to manifest himself in Materium.
There is reason as to why we have 2 titles not just one.
So hold you mechatendril and think before accusing me of being a heretek.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Suggesting that the Machine God and the Omnissiah are different beings is heresy.
Omnissiah is the avatar of Machine God.
It's how Machine God decided to manifest himself in Materium.
There is reason as to why we have 2 titles not just one.
So hold you mechatendril and think before accusing me of being a heretek.
And thus, the Omnissiah and the Machine God are the same being. If you observe one side of a coin, then examine the other side of that same coin, you do not study two coins. It remains but one.

I will forgive your transgression, for that it is rooted in inaccuracy, which is sinful albeit not heretekal.

Joyvankek

Learned
Found that world where you can join chaos.
ia2pgy.jfif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom