Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Humbaba

Arcane
Maulerfiend with the plasma loadout :o

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
When can we expect a Steam page for it? Infinitron?
The game will be Epic Games Store exclusive.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_exclusive_to_Epic_Games_Store

shNYT7B.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Could we end this CRPG as God emperor of mankind?
No, but perhaps as a Living Saint?

Even Dark Heresy would take you off the rails of normalcy into a Dan Abnett story.
Well, seeing as how 40k normalcy tends to revolve around toiling in a manufactorum/mine/farm/administratum office until an early death, the abnormal parts are the preferred ones. Whether high nobility, rogue traders and inquisitorial minions or underhive scum.
CRPG "normalcy" is not "real life boredom". It is a low/mid level (power level) story where you fight in not completely crazy circumstances and "reasonable" enemies. Basically what is in a D&D-like fantasy fighting orcs, trolls and a low level wizard. And 100s variations of those. A (upper)middle level wizard being the villain of the story. Instead of fighting dragons and major demons and a wizard who has powers to defeat those with a single fart. Also and an occasional god or two at the end.
In Rogue Trader case normalcy would be you going to explore something that hopefully doesn't involve the mystery of what papa Nurgle sings when he takes a shit. To make profit.

Unfortunately Owlcat has weakness for very high (and higher than that) adventures.

lightbane

Arcane
WH40k's "normalcy" can vary wildly, as you could call "normal" the average life of an IG soldier. Provided he's not in a regiment with a crazy commander and not fighting too OP enemies, he has a chance of having a relatively "normal" life, so to speak. Some regiments even let veterans to retire! For RTs, getting hilariously rich is the main objective, so space adventures will be common, and these can swing from investigating space hulks, to looting Necron tombs. It's up to the writer.

Humbaba

Arcane
Which makes me wonder how is the party supposed to survive that one, even with best gear. That thing can take out squads of SPHAEES MAHRINES!
Was wondering that myself. Is it normal in RT to be facing enemies like a Maulerfiend? That thing is a literal war machine and not something I would imagine can be taken out by a party of adventurers.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which makes me wonder how is the party supposed to survive that one, even with best gear. That thing can take out squads of SPHAEES MAHRINES!
Was wondering that myself. Is it normal in RT to be facing enemies like a Maulerfiend? That thing is a literal war machine and not something I would imagine can be taken out by a party of adventurers.

Not necessarily normal, however RT is much higher level game then even Ascended campaigns of Dark Heresy. Some of the supplements have stats for Eldar Wraithlords and even Avatar of Khaine (which is obviously tough as fuck, but can be taken out by a well equipped party). There are also things like Rak´Gol which are so tough they would easily shit all over most other xenos races in direct combat. Chaos demons are a thing as well.

The thing is that characters in RT have easy access to immense resources simply by virtue of being who they are, they can use archeotech, even xeno and warp-tainted weapons and gear if they are so inclined and they have a ship with tens of thousands of voidfarers and armsmen. As such taking on high level enemies isn’t necessarily that much of a problem and its really on the GM whether or not he wants to steer the game in that direction.

In terms of table top I would compare an RT party to an Inquisitor Lord and retinue from lets say the fourth edition Demon Hunters codex. If you invest enough points in them the unit can actually kick some ass around (lets say you would field a retinue of 12 Henchmen a few of which would be multi-melta servitors and add a Land Raider). No one would do that in the table top, but in RT investing points in them is the whole point of the game.

lightbane

Arcane

Yes and No. Depends on how much bling your party has and how much shit you can throw at the enemy. The game is all about breaking the rules and being smart, even if it means using combat vehicles (which in the pnp game would mean you must use the sourcebook for other games that have driving rules such as Deathwatch IIRC, making it needlessly complex).
You can take out most enemies with a regular combat plane because ranged weaponry's rules suck and are not meant for long-distance combat (barring snipers).

Not necessarily normal, however RT is much higher level game then even Ascended campaigns of Dark Heresy.
I would say that only gear-wise. Primaris Psykers and psychic inquisitors can throw down with anything personal-level once they get the right powers. Not much can survive being able to spam 1d50125+10 psychic projectiles per round.
Then there were the Time Warping powers which were absolutely broken by design, being able to "steal" enemy turns, give your guys extra turns, create barriers of frozen time that can be used defensively and ofensivelly, etc.

Some of the supplements have stats for Eldar Wraithlords and even Avatar of Khaine (which is obviously tough as fuck, but can be taken out by a well equipped party).
The latest books of RT were probably not play-tested. The Dark Eldar adventure had your near-nude captured party fight enemies you would have trouble in a regular situation. Also, these things above are not stupid enough to fight without support.

The thing is that characters in RT have easy access to immense resources simply by virtue of being who they are, they can use archeotech, even xeno and warp-tainted weapons and gear if they are so inclined and they have a ship with tens of thousands of voidfarers and armsmen.

Yeah. Use orbital weaponry and throw dozens of squads at the problem until it dies, or carry around unique archeotech armor capable of ignoring most weaponry. Money is the ultimate super-power.

The psychic characters in RT are not as strong as the other lines, but they have their uses.

Codex Year of the Donut
the job requirements on their site are funny

unity3d developer, minimum 5 years experience https://owlcat.games/careers/52
senior lighting artist, minimum 3 years experience https://owlcat.games/careers/68

anyways, thought it was interesting that they're hiring someone specifically with unreal engine experience(no mention of unity)
https://owlcat.games/careers/91
Tasks:

· Writing and updating game documentation;

· Working on game mechanics and combat mechanics, developing new systems and game elements;

· Overseeing the complete implementation of new game elements by providing design specifications and interacting with other development teams;

· Scripting game elements in Unreal Engine.
Pluses:

· Experience with Unreal Engine;

· Experience in programming;

· Knowledge of tabletop role-playing games.
unannounced title, perhaps?

Salvo

Arcane

senior lighting artist, minimum 3 years experience https://owlcat.games/careers/68

anyways, thought it was interesting that they're hiring someone specifically with unreal engine experience(no mention of unity)
Tasks:

· Working on game mechanics and combat mechanics, developing new systems and game elements;

· Overseeing the complete implementation of new game elements by providing design specifications and interacting with other development teams;

Pluses:

Hey, at least they don't ask for 5+ years of experience for junior positions

Noct

Literate
I haven't really been following development on this, but I'm very pleasantly surprised at what I'm seeing. A Warhammer CRPG just makes sense, and I'm getting pretty hopeful for this. Haven't played any Owlcat games before. What is their track record like?

somerandomdude

Learned
I haven't really been following development on this, but I'm very pleasantly surprised at what I'm seeing. A Warhammer CRPG just makes sense, and I'm getting pretty hopeful for this. Haven't played any Owlcat games before. What is their track record like?

The strategy/mechanics part of the combat is likely to be good, however the story/dialogue will probably be cringe inducing. If you like the warhammer universe, and don't care so much about the story, it'll probably be alright if can inoculate yourself to the cringe.

somerandomdude

Learned

Tasks:

Pluses:

NARRATIVE DESIGNER
https://owlcat.games/careers/88

This is the position that's needed most. Is it too much to ask for to get story and dialogue in an Owlcat game that's not written by socially maladjusted ass-burgers?

Noct

Literate

The strategy/mechanics part of the combat is likely to be good, however the story/dialogue will probably be cringe inducing. If you like the warhammer universe, and don't care so much about the story, it'll probably be alright if can inoculate yourself to the cringe.
As long as it isn't aggressively terrible, the setting can carry it I think

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

thinking.png

https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/9

HOW TO: IMPERIAL CREED​

While he walked among His people, the Emperor denied His own divinity, yet His final, eternal sacrifice and interment upon the Golden Throne served to prove His godhood to the bereaved masses. Eventually, the Emperor came to be worshipped by a staggering array of different groups, often possessed of highly divergent ideas regarding His life, death, and continued existence. It must be noted that seeds of this religion were sown by those who are now viewed as heretics of the highest order by the Imperium - the ultimate irony of the Imperial Creed.

It was perhaps inevitable that conflict should ensue between the divergent sects, but within a thousand years of the Emperor’s ascension, one had risen above them all. The Ecclesiarchy achieved dominance by a process of absorbing other groups, adapting doctrines, and forging links in order to make it appear they had been there all along - though the roots of their beliefs still go back to the time when even a mention of the Emperor’s divinity was prosecuted in a brutal fashion.

01.jpg

In the 41st Millennium, the Ecclesiarchy (known officially as the Adeptus Ministorum) holds sway over the hearts of all but a few of the Emperor’s subjects. It is a galaxy-spanning order based on Terra that holds a strong grip on the minds of the whole of Humanity - something the architects of the Imperial Creed could only have dreamed of before being cast out into the shadows.

Yet despite its deep-set roots and overbearing presence in the Imperium, the Adeptus Ministorum must constantly assert itself against those who would threaten or challenge its sanctity. Uprisings of the faithless are a constant scourge, as are traitor and xenos incursions onto shrine worlds. And when such hostilities pose a significant threat, the Ministorum deploys the Adepta Sororitas to eradicate the enemies of the faith. Without hesitation or mercy, they administer the wrath of the Ecclesiarchy to the enemies of Mankind, and by their deeds are malefic cabals of psykers, heretics, and mutants scoured from existence.

02.jpg

The Adepta Sororitas track their lineage back to the small cult known as the Daughters of the Emperor, members of which were entirely devoted to worship of the Emperor and maintaining inner purity. They studied the ancient arts of war, clearing their minds of worldly considerations in order to hone their battle skills over the course of a lifetime. They are both an obdurate military force and a beacon of faith, and with unflinching might, they crush all who oppose the will of the Ecclesiarchy or the sanctity of the Emperor’s domain. Where the Daughters of the Emperor formed but a single sect, the Adepta Sororitas comprise multiple Orders scattered across the galaxy, allowing them to combat threats to the faith wherever they arise.

The most widely known Orders of the Adepta Sororitas are the Orders Militant, also known as the Sisters of Battle. The warriors amongst their ranks dedicate themselves to achieving purity of spirit through martial perfection and follow the most stringent training regimes and doctrines. The number of Sisters who compose the Orders Militant pales in comparison to the sheer scale of soldiery wielded by the Astra Militarum, but the Adepta Sororitas boasts a degree of elite martial prowess that is almost unmatched amongst the Imperial Guard.

Alongside the Orders Militant are manifold non-militant Orders. Their duties include the provision of medical care both on and off the battlefield, interpretation of holy texts and cryptic xenos communiqués, as well as instructing the Imperium’s ruling elite in the correct implementation and practice of the Imperial Creed.

All in all, Sororitas, be they from Militant Orders or not, play a significant role in the life of the Imperium. We can not wait to introduce you to the one present in the Rogue Trader.

P.S. Not only will you meet her soon, but the servants of the Ruinous Powers are also waiting for their turn to burst into reality. Warriors of ancient age, coming to take what is theirs by birthright.

03.jpg

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish games had an option to just turn off the cutscenes and jibber jabber that aren't directly related to stuff I need to do. Games journalists want to be able to turn off the gameplay, so they can get to the end, but I want the opposite. I am likely to give up on a game if you spend too much of your time not playing.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, just some advice, but those who read this article carefully could find some dark knowledge, just saying.

thinking.png

While he walked among His people, the Emperor denied His own divinity, yet His final, eternal sacrifice and interment upon the Golden Throne served to prove His godhood to the bereaved masses. Eventually, the Emperor came to be worshipped by a staggering array of different groups, often possessed of highly divergent ideas regarding His life, death, and continued existence. It must be noted that seeds of this religion were sown by those who are now viewed as heretics of the highest order by the Imperium - the ultimate irony of the Imperial Creed.

I'm willing to bet the dark knowledge is their reference to Lorgar and the Lectitio Divinitatus/origin of the Cult of the Emperor (the predecessor of the Imperial Creed).

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This dude is Vox Master of your ship - I dont think he will be a party member, probably he will just talk to you over vox during the missions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Humbaba

Arcane

thinking.png

It was perhaps inevitable that conflict should ensue between the divergent sects, but within a thousand years of the Emperor’s ascension, one had risen above them all. The Ecclesiarchy achieved dominance by a process of absorbing other groups, adapting doctrines, and forging links in order to make it appear they had been there all along - though the roots of their beliefs still go back to the time when even a mention of the Emperor’s divinity was prosecuted in a brutal fashion.

01.jpg

In the 41st Millennium, the Ecclesiarchy (known officially as the Adeptus Ministorum) holds sway over the hearts of all but a few of the Emperor’s subjects. It is a galaxy-spanning order based on Terra that holds a strong grip on the minds of the whole of Humanity - something the architects of the Imperial Creed could only have dreamed of before being cast out into the shadows.

Yet despite its deep-set roots and overbearing presence in the Imperium, the Adeptus Ministorum must constantly assert itself against those who would threaten or challenge its sanctity. Uprisings of the faithless are a constant scourge, as are traitor and xenos incursions onto shrine worlds. And when such hostilities pose a significant threat, the Ministorum deploys the Adepta Sororitas to eradicate the enemies of the faith. Without hesitation or mercy, they administer the wrath of the Ecclesiarchy to the enemies of Mankind, and by their deeds are malefic cabals of psykers, heretics, and mutants scoured from existence.

02.jpg

The Adepta Sororitas track their lineage back to the small cult known as the Daughters of the Emperor, members of which were entirely devoted to worship of the Emperor and maintaining inner purity. They studied the ancient arts of war, clearing their minds of worldly considerations in order to hone their battle skills over the course of a lifetime. They are both an obdurate military force and a beacon of faith, and with unflinching might, they crush all who oppose the will of the Ecclesiarchy or the sanctity of the Emperor’s domain. Where the Daughters of the Emperor formed but a single sect, the Adepta Sororitas comprise multiple Orders scattered across the galaxy, allowing them to combat threats to the faith wherever they arise.

The most widely known Orders of the Adepta Sororitas are the Orders Militant, also known as the Sisters of Battle. The warriors amongst their ranks dedicate themselves to achieving purity of spirit through martial perfection and follow the most stringent training regimes and doctrines. The number of Sisters who compose the Orders Militant pales in comparison to the sheer scale of soldiery wielded by the Astra Militarum, but the Adepta Sororitas boasts a degree of elite martial prowess that is almost unmatched amongst the Imperial Guard.

Alongside the Orders Militant are manifold non-militant Orders. Their duties include the provision of medical care both on and off the battlefield, interpretation of holy texts and cryptic xenos communiqués, as well as instructing the Imperium’s ruling elite in the correct implementation and practice of the Imperial Creed.

All in all, Sororitas, be they from Militant Orders or not, play a significant role in the life of the Imperium. We can not wait to introduce you to the one present in the Rogue Trader.

P.S. Not only will you meet her soon, but the servants of the Ruinous Powers are also waiting for their turn to burst into reality. Warriors of ancient age, coming to take what is theirs by birthright.

03.jpg

Explaining the lore are we? Looks like GW wants this game to bring in new fans, instead of only catering to the established 40k customer base. Watch them be real mad cunts and sell amiibo-like miniatures next.

Sarathiour

Cipher

thinking.png

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Have they retconned the lore or purposefully ignoring the ban for the Ecclesiarchy to own a force of men-at-arm ?

Peachcurl

Cipher
thinking.png

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Have they retconned the lore or purposefully ignoring the ban for the Ecclesiarchy to own a force of men-at-arm ?
There seems to be some leeway to that ban (i.e., regarding small bodyguard, internal "police" forces, and paramilitary/militias), but the above quoted text doesn't even deal with those... ? If I didn't skip something by accident it covers mostly the Adepta Sororitas.

Militant orders of the Adepta Sororitas are not covered by that ban. At all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom