Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
I don't understand why Owlcat didn't work on a Starfinder game instead of fucking around the WH40K universe.
Because 40k is much cooler.
It's weird how WH40k lore after 200+ retcons and work of 300+authors it makes more sense than Poopfinder lore.

They probably can't do transfer to Russian banks or something but business wise it should not be an issue. How they could do the the payment to their employee in Russia or whether they are even still in Russia nobody knows.

The Moscow office has been abandoned, they're all in Cyprus or elsewhere in Europe https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Not like they had any attachment to Russian culture in the first place.
Meh, they had something like one room office in cyprus for obvious tax evasion, main office in Moscow.
Now they have 2 room office in Cyprus and offices without a plaque in moscow/or no office and you know people working at home via that new thing that got recently introduced - internet. If you got their old address in Moscow I can pass by and visit them/stalk them/take one photo, ask security guy.
fetchimage

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
That last part is important and it's why I am very sure that we will not see things like EldarxHuman romance because that stuff is canonically verboten and I highly doubt GW would ever sanction that or give Owlcat that sort of creative freedom. At most, we'll get to bang the Navigator.
Otoh, Love Can Bloom on the battlefield (and has been implied/referenced as canon in one of the TTRPG rulebooks, although I can't recall if it was a rogue trader one or a dark heresy).

But I don't really expect to be able to romance the eldar. I'm p sure most rogue traders would be happy to create children with a navigator through marriage, that's an incredible political powermove if I'm remembering navigator politics right.
Wouldn't an Eldar falling in love immediately fall to Slaanesh?

gongal

Educated
Everything from the color palette to twitter cartoon vibes feels like a natural progression for OwlCat after WotR.

Trithne

Erudite
That last part is important and it's why I am very sure that we will not see things like EldarxHuman romance because that stuff is canonically verboten and I highly doubt GW would ever sanction that or give Owlcat that sort of creative freedom. At most, we'll get to bang the Navigator.
Otoh, Love Can Bloom on the battlefield (and has been implied/referenced as canon in one of the TTRPG rulebooks, although I can't recall if it was a rogue trader one or a dark heresy).

But I don't really expect to be able to romance the eldar. I'm p sure most rogue traders would be happy to create children with a navigator through marriage, that's an incredible political powermove if I'm remembering navigator politics right.

No. That's not how Eldar work. Eldar experience emotions far more strongly than a human does, and indulgence in their excesses is what brought about Slaanesh. This is why the Craftworld Eldar live such regimented lives with metaphorical (and sometimes literal) masks to separate their ideas of themselves from the rush of emotions brought on by conflict.

Eldar can love, just as they can hate, and feel joy and pain and sorrow and elation, but when an Eldar becomes consumed by that emotion to the point that it becomes all they care about, that is when they have become lost. It was the continual pursuit of greater and greater emotional highs that brought about Slaanesh, not merely having emotions at all.

And even still, Eldar are lost to their passions all the time - It's what Exarchs are, amongst others. The Infinity Circuits are what protect the Eldar from Slaanesh, in the end, or the Dark Eldar consuming the souls of lesser races to live forever. Slaanesh has already claimed all the Eldar's souls, they were all Fallen from the start.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
All eldar* have already fallen to slaanesh in basically all ways that count. Slaanesh already "owns" every eldar soul, and if not anchored, they go to it to be eternally tortured and what not.

*Excepting I think harlequins who reclaim their souls as part of initiation, and maaaybe exodites

Trithne

Erudite
All eldar* have already fallen to slaanesh in basically all ways that count. Slaanesh already "owns" every eldar soul, and if not anchored, they go to it to be eternally tortured and what not.

*Excepting I think harlequins who reclaim their souls as part of initiation, and maaaybe exodites

Exodites use Infinity Circuits like the Craftworlds do, theirs are just classic elf World Tree / Moon Lake shit.

Humbaba

Arcane
I'd call that a tongue-in-cheek sort of reference rather than canon tbh.

Exodites use Infinity Circuits like the Craftworlds do, theirs are just classic elf World Tree / Moon Lake shit.
Harlequins would also all go to hell by default but they are saved by Cegorach hiding their souls in the webway or something, except Solitaires, who voluntarily damn themselves in exchange for superpowers basically.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Harlequins would also all go to hell by default but they are saved by Cegorach hiding their souls in the webway or something, except Solitaires, who voluntarily damn themselves in exchange for superpowers basically.
I think I remember reading somewhere that harles get possessed by slaaneshi demons as part of being promoted, and if they manage to cast off the daemon they automatically get their souls back from slaanesh (if they fail they presumably get killed).

Humbaba

Arcane
I think I remember reading somewhere that harles get possessed by slaaneshi demons as part of being promoted, and if they manage to cast off the daemon they automatically get their souls back from slaanesh (if they fail they presumably get killed).
I've never heard of anything like that tbh, it's Cegorach who protects them afaik, I thought that was the whole point of Harlequins worshipping him.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've never heard of anything like that tbh, it's Cegorach who protects them afaik, I thought that was the whole point of Harlequins worshipping him.

the question is if cerogarth can do it... why is he not doing it for more important member like the farseers instead of just webway using clowns?

Trithne

Erudite

Sounds like an edgy version of the Solitaire. The Solitaire plays the role of Slaanesh in the troupe's performances, and they are kept apart from the other Harlequins. To take this role, they are damned, and their soul is forfeit to She Who Thirsts, but the Solitaire basically gets to be an Eldar at their Full Power, rather than the intentionally restricted Craftworlders or the eternally draining Dark Eldar.

the question is if cerogarth can do it... why is he not doing it for more important member like the farseers instead of just webway using clowns?

Because the Eldar are not a unified group. Cegorach protects those who are pledged to him. Craftworld Eldar tend to either be all in for Khaine, or have a more fatalistic view of their future and prefer the solace of the Infinity Circuits.

And the Dark Eldar would just rather not die.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Because they don't worship Cegorach. He saves Shadowseers though.

But Cherogarth and Isha being the last 2 surviving Eldar gods is a know fact no? Isha can't do shit while she is captured by Nurgle so why not worship the only actually functional god left?

Or does the worship of Cheogarth entail being a webway clown that normal society essentially can't fucntion with sole worship of Cherogarth?

This is genuine question. Not baiting or something. I genuinely dont know.

Humbaba

Arcane
But Cherogarth and Isha being the last 2 surviving Eldar gods is a know fact no? Isha can't do shit while she is captured by Nurgle so why not worship the only actually functional god left?

Or does the worship of Cheogarth entail being a webway clown that normal society essentially can't fucntion with sole worship of Cherogarth?

Define "functioning". Cegorach can't do anything outside the webway, his job is to guard the Black Library and should he ever leave, he'd get BTFOd immediately. And Craftworlders and Exodites have their own safeguard against Slaanesh, they don't really have a reason to worship him.

GW sorta tried to patch the question of "why don't the Eldar just worship a single god" with the introduction of Ynnead but that's another subject entirely.

Trithne

Erudite
Because they don't worship Cegorach. He saves Shadowseers though.

Khaine is broken but lives, in a way.

The ideological differences between the Eldar are just that: Ideological. Not all Eldar will believe that the Laughing God is right, or in the lifestyle that the Harlequins lead. The Dark Eldar believe that the Gods are dead and they mock them for it, and they mock Cegorach for hiding like a bitch.

Define "functioning". Cegorach can't do anything outside the webway, his job is to guard the Black Library and should he ever leave, he'd get BTFOd immediately. And Craftworlders and Exodites have their own safeguard against Slaanesh, they don't really have a reason to worship him.

GW sorta tried to patch the question of "why don't the Eldar just worship a single god" with the introduction of Ynnead but that's another subject entirely.

Ynnead was a great lore thing to begin with, back in the early editions - The idea of "Slaanesh can only be defeated when the last Eldar has been laid to rest" has a tragic poetry that is very fitting to the Eldar.

Nu-GW's take on them with the Ynnari and a plot taken out of fucking Dragonball is cancer. I also suspect they had some idiot scheme to use the Ynnari to justify merging all the different Eldar factions together into a single shitty blob before they realised it was shit so now they've just left a descended testicle of shitty lore unresolved.

Humbaba

Arcane
Nu-GW's take on them with the Ynnari and a plot taken out of fucking Dragonball is cancer. I also suspect they had some idiot scheme to use the Ynnari to justify merging all the different Eldar factions together into a single shitty blob before they realised it was shit so now they've just left a descended testicle of shitty lore unresolved.
Right, they really haven't done much of anything with the whole thing, have they lmao. Wyches with white hair don't look right anyway.

Camel

Scholar
Eldar aren’t the Jedi who are forbidden from love and having families because of the Dark side. 1D4chan was quite fond of fan fiction about hot Eldar farseers.
So we can expect a romance between a human man/woman and a bi Eldar woman knowing Owlcat writers.

640px-Dow2_eld_farseer_intro_02.jpg

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eldar aren’t the Jedi who are forbidden from love and having families because of the Dark side. 1D4chan was quite fond of fan fiction about hot Eldar farseers.
So we can expect a romance between a human man/woman and a bi Eldar woman knowing Owlcat writers.

I mean there sure were all kinds of fan-fics about dudes fucking hot Eldar bitches, but I am not quite sure whether anything remotly official ever went that way. There was the case of Inquisitor Czevak, who lived on the craftworld Ilyanden for a long time on an ivitation of a Farseer, though even there I am not aware that there was anything like that going on. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a lot of non-consentual fucking done by Dark Eldar with their captives though...

Stoned Ape

Savant
How is wizardry in sjWH40K? Is games Wokeshop too inflicted with balance cultism?

Psykers are pretty dangerous, to themselves as much as to their enemies. If something goes wrong they might get posessed by a demon, sucked into the warp or immediately obliterated.

As far as RT goes, most psychic powers work around telepathy, psychokenisis, or divination.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
How is wizardry in sjWH40K? Is games Wokeshop too inflicted with balance cultism?
In fluff they are extremely dangerous, to the point that the Imperium basically enslaves them and has several organizations dedicated to keeping them in check.
Think the mutants from marvel shit, except they're all Magneto, Doctor Strange or Scarlett Witch or some shit. Also there's a good chance that they'll get possessed and become a living portal for demons and other horrors of the warp, hence why they are so heavily regulated.

In game they are pretty damn useful. The factions that don't have access to psychic powers are pretty much at a disadvantage, as they lose out on an entire phase and anti-psy abilities are a joke. Even Necrons, who are supposed to be experts at countering psykers, have shitty defenses. They do get C'tan, which are something of an alternative to psykers, but they tend to be more expensive than most psykers, can't counter psychic powers themselves and have no buffing abilities.
Most psychic powers inflict mortal wounds which outright ignore most defenses, and psychic buffs are great force multipliers. If your army has access to a psyker, you should try to get at least one because of the utility they provide.
Keep in mind though there's a chance that the Psyker takes damage after failing a test because of Perils of the Warp.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I mean there sure were all kinds of fan-fics about dudes fucking hot Eldar bitches, but I am not quite sure whether anything remotly official ever went that way. There was the case of Inquisitor Czevak, who lived on the craftworld Ilyanden for a long time on an ivitation of a Farseer, though even there I am not aware that there was anything like that going on. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a lot of non-consentual fucking done by Dark Eldar with their captives though...

Which is weird to me, because Eldar were supposed to look like this :

Eldar_Warlock.jpg

I blame video games for turning them into hot elves instead of freaky aliens with pointy ears.

Edit : should be fixed now. I dunno why it broke, it was working when I posted it.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
In the original RT book, there aren't any pictures of Eldar without their masks on. I think the first images of Eldar faces were from the 40k Compendium (which is also when Space Marines first got their Toughness 4 upgrade).

During that, Jes Goodwin did the designs for the first 'proper' iteration of the Craftworld Eldar:

Banshees-Oct10-Sketches-h41l3.jpg

Physically, they looked very similar to WFB elves, but just wore more makeup.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom