Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Humbaba

Arcane
Too bad Theodora didn't live long enough to see Owlcat reference her in their latest game.
:(

re: all of you Dark Eldar fanficfags in here, whatever they subject their male captives to is definitely NOT hot, so put those fantasies to rest please.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
image0.jpg

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I told Owlcat they need to replay Mask of the Betrayer to better understand how to write with OUT explaining every detail.

Last edited:

NotSerious

Novice
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Funniest thing ever would be if the "based slavs" be the first to make female space marines.

Cant wait for sassy black woman to be a chapter master.

Ill be really disappointed if I don't get at least one lecture about "equity".

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The writing style, lingo and slang of the best Warhammer games is what made them great. DOW1&2 and especially in Mark of Chaos and Chaos March.

They would have still been great games without those two things. But became iconic games because of them. Yes, even Mark of Chaos was an iconic game for me - just not as much as DOW1&2. Hopefully the Russians can either get someone who can write in a similiar way, or have already sent one of their developers to infiltrate the west and learn the lingo.

ChildInTime

Learned
The writing style, lingo and slang of the best Warhammer games is what made them great. DOW1&2 and especially in Mark of Chaos and Chaos March.

They would have still been great games without those two things. But became iconic games because of them. Yes, even Mark of Chaos was an iconic game for me - just not as much as DOW1&2. Hopefully the Russians can either get someone who can write in a similiar way, or have already sent one of their developers to infiltrate the west and learn the lingo.
I'll give you DoW, that got quoted and memed into oblivion. But Mark of Chaos? Battle March? Really? Good game, but nowhere near iconic.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kinda upbeat about this one.

Rogue trade was usually a little more cartoonish right?
The original Rogue Trader miniatures game was indeed somewhat cartoonish, like most GW products in the 80's.

But this CRPG has nothing directly to do with that, it's based on the contemporart Rogue Trader tabletop RPG, which has the same visual style as other current 40K products.

lightbane

Arcane
In game they are pretty damn useful. The factions that don't have access to psychic powers are pretty much at a disadvantage, as they lose out on an entire phase and anti-psy abilities are a joke. Even Necrons, who are supposed to be experts at countering psykers, have shitty defenses. They do get C'tan, which are something of an alternative to psykers, but they tend to be more expensive than most psykers, can't counter psychic powers themselves and have no buffing abilities.
Most psychic powers inflict mortal wounds which outright ignore most defenses, and psychic buffs are great force multipliers. If your army has access to a psyker, you should try to get at least one because of the utility they provide.
Keep in mind though there's a chance that the Psyker takes damage after failing a test because of Perils of the Warp.

In the PnP games, Psykers are a mixed bad. At low levels, they're more dangerous to themselves than the enemy. At high levels, they do both. OG Psykers from Dark Heresy had a list of "cantrips" that were more useful than they looked such as causing jamming at will, forcing an enemy to repeat his last action (as long as it doesn't hurt him), act as a flashbang, and more. At high levels they could do all kind of cool stuff such as healing wounds with ease no matter what, acquire super-strength, auto-hit with ANY weapon as long as they can do the psychic power check and more.
RT's Astropaths are more limited and not as OP (which follows lore), but they have a crucial advantage ported from that book forward: They can choose to limit themselves to not cause Warp fuckery, or even replace the result on the table with one you want (most of the time). They also have a limited choice of powers to buy. Even then, starting at Psy Rating 3 or so they can get really crazy powers such as mind-controlling targets, predicting the future, shooting mind bullets like a Touhou character and so on.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My favourite psyker power from the PnP line (especially in Dark Heresy) was the ability to dominate the enemy - with a success on an opposed Willpower test (which in general should be fairly easy for any psyker, as Willpower is supposed to be their main stat, while other classes/NPCs generally neglect it) you could force enemies to even harm themselves (IIRC they had some WP bonus in that case, but usually still manageable for good psyker builds), people in my group that played psykers spent a lot of time forcing enemies to pull the pins from the grenades they carried and such. Plenty of fun was had.

RT's Astropaths are more limited and not as OP (which follows lore), but they have a crucial advantage ported from that book forward: They can choose to limit themselves to not cause Warp fuckery, or even replace the result on the table with one you want (most of the time).

Yes and not just that, PnP Rogue Trader was pretty ground-breaking release in the FFG 40K line as it ushered in quite a few much needed changes from the original Dark Heresy rules. The other big change that RT brought together with fettered psychic powers was the variable las gun settings - in the original Dark Heresy rules las weapons were clearly inferior to solid projectile weapons - SP weapons could be silenced, use special ammo and use all three firing modes (single, burst, full-auto). On the other hand, las weapons could be only fired in single shots or bursts and their only advantage was higher reliability (which wasn’t a big deal anyway, if you used at least average quality SP weapons). The variable las gun settings (basically an ability to increase ammo consumption for increased damage and penetration) finally made las weapons competitive (though I would still argue that SP weapons were better overall).

I don’t have the RT rulebook on me right now, but I think that RT also introduced the change of rules for full-auto fire (maybe that came with Only War though, not sure now), which also made the ranged combat more balanced (original DH rules gave +20 to Ballistic Skill for full-auto fire, so people were mostly just mag dumping all the time, later it got changed in favour of higher accuracy for single shots).

We actually used to play Dark Heresy with these rule changes from RT ported back to the original rules - it made the game better.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thing is "most friendly races" are not really friendly towards the Imperium.

They brainwash and corrupt some of Imperial planets populations and put the rest onto concetration camps they are as friendly to humanity as the Westoid 1% are to the rest of world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom