Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Owlcat's game based on the Rogue Trader TTRPG by Fantasy Flight Games. Not on the first edition of 40k.
Half-Eldars are in the RPG as well? Huh, thought that was a 1st ed thing only.
okay, that pooping thing is some interesting detail I never knew I missed :lol:

About milk, that would be a fair point, if true. Doesn't exactly match with the GW miniature design though, but of course those are not really necessarily consistent.

See, e.g., the Link Thonius posted. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Wyches?_requestid=6620703
Yeah it was in Xenology.

Trithne

Erudite
Eldar have tits because Elves have tits. Huge titted Elves wouldn't become a thing until after the Eldar's design had settled into "slender space elves".

Eldar are superficially human but their physiology and psychology are utterly alien. Inquisitor Czevak had a lot to say on the matter.

Half-Eldars are in the RPG as well? Huh, thought that was a 1st ed thing only.
Pretty sure they're not, I was referring to 40k 1e in my post, more as a "yeah at some point the lore said they could crossbreed" but current lore is that the Eldar would find that akin to fucking a dog, and the Eldar are more about the psychological beauty and prowess of something over base carnality.

Aconitum

Novice
From what I remember, content from all FFG TTRPGs is fairly interchangeable, so even if something is not in Rogue Trader Owlcat could port it from other books.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ow...-full-heretic-in-warhammer-40000-rogue-trader

Owlcat Games on exploring the Koronus Expanse and going full heretic in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader​

I almost left the interview after they said no Squats, honestly

Key art from Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader showing a group of different warriors in a firefight in space

First released in 1987 - back when Games Workshop were, arguably, much more fun than they are today - Rogue Trader was the first edition of what would eventually become tabletop miniature megachonker Warhammer 40,000. Rogue Traders, the stars of the setting, are themselves a touch more colourful than your average corpse-emperor enjoyer; freelance explorers given a ship, a packed lunch, and a cohort of space-toughs, and sent off to explore the far-flung reaches of the galaxy. And it’s this unique place in the 40k universe that makes them such an exciting prospect for the setting's first fully-fledged classic CRPG.

“Rogue Trader stands out as it gives you giant freedom compared to the other imperial organisations and subsettings of 40k,” says Creative Director Alexander Gusev, “because you can do things that other factions in Warhammer aren’t allowed to do. You can talk to xenos, you can even forge some agreements with them. And these agreements might even not include them dying!”

Rogue Trader is a “classic RPG” in the vein of Owlcat’s previous Pathfinder offerings, says Gusev, which means companions and character development - both in a literary sense, and through RPG systems. While Paizo’s Pathfinder tabletop roleplaying game served as the major inspiration for the studio’s previous games, this time around it’s Fantasy Flight’s tabletop adaption of the Rogue Trader setting providing the backbone. “We’re huge fans of Rogue Trader in its Fantasy Flight variation," says Gusev. "By the time we pitched this idea to Games Workshop, we were already playing 3 campaigns, two of them in Rogue Trader, and one a Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader Hybrid.”

The team started on these tabletop campaigns during development on Kingmaker, says Gusev, and noticed a lot of similarities to Pathfinder’s ‘Stolen Lands’ setting. “It allows us to give a spotlight to a part of the 40k universe that isn’t covered as often as others. What happened there before the state of only war, before the grimdark future? What civilisations inhabited this space and died there? And you can find their remnants. It allows us to show a more peaceful - well, I shouldn’t say peaceful, but the civilian life - it’s something truly unique.”

To this end, you’ll be exploring the part of the universe known as the Koronus Expanse on your own ship, navigating between planets. Rogue Trader, says Gusev, isn’t Rogue Trader without a star map. The Koronus Expanse itself is just a small square of the overall galaxy, but since the galaxy itself is massive, great swathes of star systems and planets are still explorable. Gusev gives the example of Janus, a lush, jungle-covered ‘Agri-World’ that was founded by one of your ancestors. “You’ll be visiting and solving some problems," he says. "You might have seen some of these problems in the trailer.” There’s also a forge world, a machine planet used for constructing imperial war machines, run by the cyborg-like Mechanicus, who you’ll encounter and aid in helpful CRPG protagonist fashion, and Gusev adds that "they’ll be quite a lot of problems during your campaign, because, well, a lot of things happened that might have made Koronus expanse more dangerous than it was before.”

But what of combat? Perhaps fittingly for a setting filled with galaxy-spanning conflicts, Owlcat have decided to embroil themselves in the most fraught brouhaha of our age: RTWP vs TBT. Rogue Trader will be focusing entirely on the turn-based side of things. “A goal with TBT is to showcase characters more,” says Gusev. “In the chaos of real time you often don’t notice what they’re doing, and it’s harder to showcase their differences.” Gusev explains this also allows them to showcase enemy factions with more depth. “Factions are a big part of 40k. Also, it allows us to show more, well, more bloody deaths, and lets us do more with enemy behaviour, to make abilities you need to react to.”

A strange underground room in Warhammer 40k: Rogue Traders, lit only by some blue power pylons on the floor

You’ll be causing and suffering these bloody deaths, as with Owlcat’s Pathfinder games, as a party of six. Characters fulfil somewhat familiar RPG roles, but with a 40k twist. Among the available party members are psykers, effectively casters, or pure melee characters, like the Space Wolf already shown off in the game’s key art - although Gusev says that’s not the only path you can go with him, and you might prefer to go ranged or ranged with melee. There will also be tanks and support, with what sounds like many options to create hybrid roles. And, because it’s 40k, ranged weapons will play a big role. Gusev lists them off: “AOE weapons. Snipers. Auto weapons for crowd control and great damage on single targets.”

Indeed, we’ve already seen an Eldar Sniper in the party in the game’s announcement trailer. So will there be any other playable aliens - known as xenos - in the game? Yes, says Gusev, although they can’t reveal exactly what types just yet. I am, however, devastated to inform you that there are currently no plans to feature Squats, the lovably gruff space dwarves that have just recently made an official return to the settings, years after being "squatted" became community slang for a faction being forgotten by the lore. (“We started developing Rogue Trader before they were revealed,” says Gusev.)

While drawing inspiration from various incarnations of the setting over the years, Owlcat’s Rogue Trader is very much based in modern 40k - a multifaceted setting, says Gustav. “Some subsettings are more colourful, some are more grimdark. There are horror novels in Black Library, and there are ones with more humour and life to them. Our game will feature some elements of all of them. There will be locations that are more horror-like, and locations that are more ‘slice of life’.”

It’s not just the studio's roots as classic RPG developers and fans that are making their way into Rogue Trader, but their roots as a traditionally Kickstarter-funded developer. “We started our studio with a Kickstarter, and the second game was a Kickstarter, too,” says Gusev. “This one was fully funded, but we still want players to participate in feedback.” To this end, the game will first be available in beta through ‘Founders Packs’ - various tiers that allow fans to support and take part in development. Owlcat’s approach here reminds me of another CRPG studio, Larian. So what is it about CRPGs that make them more suited to this kind of ongoing development and dialogue with the fanbase?

A military base in a church, half built around the pews and altar, in Warhammer 40k: Rogue Traders

As far as the player character goes, you’ll be taking the titular role. If you’ve seen the trailer, you’ll have already met Teodora, your ancestor and predecessor. “She’s the Rogue Trader at the beginning of the game,” says Gusev. “But at some point, you’ll become Rogue Trader instead of her. But I don’t want to spoil anything!” At the start of the game Teodora will face some problems with things she’s done in the past, and you’ll have to follow her footsteps and learn her fate as you play.

“You’re not a very close relative of Teodora, so you’ll have different options on where you came from, how you look, and what you did before you came to serve together with her on the ship,” says Gusev. “We think that RPGs really require you to create a character, so character creation will be extensive and feature a multitude of different options.” This character sheet is influenced by Fantasy Flight’s version, but more as inspiration rather than a hard interpretation. “We’re not directly transferring all the mechanics from Fantasy Flight,” says Gusev, but those who played that companies’ series of 40k tabletop RPGs will find some familiarity.

A Warhammer 40k: Rogue Traders screenshot showing a sniper positioned on a cliff next to the face and foot of a giant but now-collapsed statue

“The size, in both the length and width. You can make so many choices, and some combinations are hard to predict! Without players thinking outside the box, it’s hard to make choices. Even without bugs, some of those choices will lead to frustrating or unexpected outcomes. Some of the players might introduce us to ideas we hadn’t thought of before, just because of experiencing things in a different context.”

Owlcat is keen to reveal more about the game in the coming months, but before I go, I have to ask if the unique approach to choice and consequence in a 40k setting will allow our Rogue Trader to make some nefarious deals with the ruinous powers. Can you go full heretic? “Can you commit full heresy?” ponders Gusev, “Yes, considering that definitions of heresy vary. I can tell you that in the trailer it mentions heresy - and that’s not just to mention it.” So, more info soon, and an official ‘Fuck the emperor’ run confirmed! You heard it here first.

Thonius

Arcane
They just need a direct line to Abnet Den. Whatever he writes is a canon. I mean lets hope they got some sort of lore checker, granted I realize that reading few book on wh40 does not make me lore buff so uh... wont be abble to tell when they flop lore wise.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just a daily reminder that Rogue trader is supposed to be the least grimdark part of the imperium, as it's basically about space CEO's doing luxury cruises in their city size ships looking for PROFIT in poorly explored parts of the galaxy.

There should be all sorts of wonderous (and terrible) things to find.
From what I remember, content from all FFG TTRPGs is fairly interchangeable, so even if something is not in Rogue Trader Owlcat could port it from other books.
It's the same ruleset across all of them, but porting character classes would be massively imbalanced.
Actually if they're sticking to the rules I'm already super worried that they're sticking an SM in the same party as regular humies, because anything that puts a dent in a TTRPG spacemarine is likely to splat a human in a single shot.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Abnett is a balding cuck too and his writing has been going downhill for years.

Abnett is a balding cuck (being a man from Bongistan and all that), but the Gaunt´s Ghosts series keeps getting better and better tbh fam. Warmaster and Anarch are both fucking ace and as someone who followed the series since it started in 1999, I would say there is an upwards trajectory there (in itself an achievement given how good the early novels - especially Necropolis - were).

The weakest Abnett 40K book is IMO Horus Heresy: Legion and that came out about a decade ago in 2008.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Abnett is a balding cuck (being a man from Bongistan and all that), but the Gaunt´s Ghosts series keeps getting better and better tbh fam. Warmaster and Anarch are both fucking ace and as someone who followed the series since it started in 1999, I would say there is an upwards trajectory there (in itself an achievement given how good the early novels - especially Necropolis - were).

The weakest Abnett 40K book is IMO Horus Heresy: Legion and that came out about a decade ago in 2008.

How's the most recent Gaunt book (Vincula Insurgency)?

Glory to Ukraine
My copy arrived just a few days ago, so I cant tell yet in full. In any case its a prequel set at the very start of the series in terms of time line (before Necropolis) and it is similar to Warmaster and Anarch in terms of tone (ie. "40K Iraq/Afghanistan war" rather than the "40K WWII" in which the series started, in fact the book opens with a scene describing an aftermath of an IED attack on an Administratum official that Gaunt shows up to investigate).

I want to finish Grim Repast (a novel from a fairly new "40K Crime" line which is cool, since the last "pure" detective novels in 40K setting were the old Shira Calpurnia books) before I fully dive in, though I expect it to be p. good.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane

I mean, he cant be worse than some nuwriter raised on bioware games and harry potter books, right?

Peachcurl

Cipher
My copy arrived just a few days ago, so I cant tell yet in full. In any case its a prequel set at the very start of the series in terms of time line (before Necropolis) and it is similar to Warmaster and Anarch in terms of tone (ie. "40K Iraq/Afghanistan war" rather than the "40K WWII" in which the series started, in fact the book opens with a scene describing an aftermath on an IED attack on an Administratum official that Gaunt shows up to investigate).

I want to finish Grim Repast (a novel from a fairly new "40K Crime" line which is cool, since the last "pure" detective novels in 40K setting were the old Shira Calpurnia books) before I fully dive in, though I expect it to be p. good.

Yeah, I liked Grim Repast as well (and Bloodlines. and Flesh and Steel. But Grim Repast was best of those 3.).

TedNugent

Arcane

That dude wrote "Unremembered Empire" I don't know about that.

That was seriously a tough "read" in audiobook format.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
how bout 3 boobs, that sufficiently non-human?

(in more seriousness, "don't even have human anatomy" is just not true.)
I meant more like in terms of how it works internally. Apparently Eldar crap out crystals when they defecate, for example. I'm not even sure Eldar babies drink milk. No milk, no mammary glands, no tits.

There's a part of me that wants to rate this autistic, but 40K is full of weirdness like this. I'm not overly familiar with the setting beyond the broad strokes and even I know that orks are mushrooms. That... look like orks. For reasons. It's why I don't think it's very fruitful to take any WH/40K lore all that seriously because I'm not convinced that anyone who makes the setting does either. It can be fun, has cool art, good enough.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There should be all sorts of wonderous (and terrible) things to find.

Most important aspect of the narrative and world building to get right, no doubt. They can fuck up in other departments, but this one is the whole draw of the setting

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Gaunts Ghosts has Gaunts daughter dress up as a man to secretly join his unit.

Yes. It also has the moment when her sex is discovered in the showers end with multiple deaths (including Eszrah ap Niht, a fairly major character) and attempted rape. Pretty strong argument against women in the military, tbh fam. Based.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Owlcat Games
acum 1 oră
When choosing a successor, some Rogue Traders prefer to avoid their closest relatives and try scouring their broad bloodline for more capable heirs. Often, distant relatives from the Imperial Navy prove to be the best choice. After all, they are the best when it comes to voidships.
nvyFVvr7Da-srnh3nMuz7dxBRqjOFUebl8YiQWZAJ4yK7xEwEDkOvqAIlMExzwC9LSxhBBpHedqpaNs=s640-nd-v1

frajaq

Erudite
The art has been on point so far, so thats good news

I'm worried about their rules system tho, since they already admited they wont follow rules to a T

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom