Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I don't give a fuck what anyone says about this game or Vermintide, I'm buying a new PC for this.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
hopefully its better than deathwing
Well if this doesn't turn out good, we're getting Necromunda: Hired Gun.
Statistically at least one of these games has to be decent.

But then, statistics is a lying nigger some of the time. So who the fuck knows.
I'll prolly end up buying both because, like the devs who use the WH40k license, I too am retarded.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Ah man, niggers just won't let a nigga hope.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams motherfuckers.

Latelistener

Arcane
Yeah, you will most likely need a new PC for this. Considering how CPU hungry Vermintide was, I have some questions about how it even ran consoles.

But overall, and what's probably the best thing about Vermintide is that it's not a console game. I don't think you could even complete Nightmare or Cataclysm using gamepad.

Cataclysm also requires in-depth knowledge about game mechanics and some skill.

I didn't like Vermintide at first but grew fond of it over time and really appreciated the intricacies of its in-game mechanics. Reminds me a bit CS and Quake in this regard, except it PvE.

So, I'm looking forward to this.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, tried Vermintide a bit but really got discouraged because playing with randoms was no fun. Game was made to be played on the highest difficulties where the game mechanics actually matter and becomes a boring mindless slog on the lower difficulties, randoms were pretty terrible most of the time. Probably will wait this going cheap on steam and buy for some friends.

Latelistener

Arcane
You can play it solo. Some madmen even do it without bots. There is a mod that has a lot QoL improvements. I'm fairly sure VM2 has similar mods.

If you could find one or two friends it would be a lot better of course. Playing Cataclysm with randoms is impossible I think.

ADL

Prophet
So this is all they showed at the event, probably at the Microsoft event again
New Kerillian class in Vermintide 2 though

Last edited by a moderator:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I'm a bit disappointed we haven't gotten even a release date yet. Don't get me wrong, I want them to get it right, but still.

Probably want to hold off so as not to compete with Necromunda even by a second.

Latelistener

Arcane
Necromunda is not even a competitor. Vermintide 2 has online 4-5 times more than that and it came out 3 years ago.

Most of the playerbase will be moving from there. I'm fairly sure there will be more than 100k concurrent players on release (VT2 had 70k), since this is 40K we're talking about.

On one hand, disappointed. On the other, at least I can catch up on more games in the meantime. Also, was starting to suspect the delay due to severe lack of info.

Codex Year of the Donut
Delayed to Spring 2022:

gamedevs will continue to use the pandemic excuse all the way until 2060 if not further
if they aren't forced to release their products at specific timelines by publishers, they never release anything

I can already read the minds of the butthurt gamedev defenders reading this
"i-i-if we give them more time, it will turn out great!"
proof?
I can list plenty of delayed games that were still garbage.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
"i-i-if we give them more time, it will turn out great!"
proof?
Games that are good are generally released at a time when the publishers/developers are confident in it.
If the game just sucks its not like it'd somehow improve if they kept to the original date.

Curratum

This is a fucking joke. I don't know how devs manage to justify this sort of thing to their bosses / publishers.

Imagine having a project with a deadline, and then you come up to your boss and you go "Hey, sorry, boss, this turned out to be more complicated than we initially thought, how about you give me another six months to work on it?"

The excuse that gamedev is a "challenging field of work" that poses "unique challenges" is fucking bullshit. Your fucking project is just mismanaged or your coders are shit, or your artists are slacking off.

J. Carmack, Romero and A. Carmack made Doom 2, making a new engine almost from scratch, in just over a year. Those people are using their own engine and are just stuffing it with the new content and gunplay, and they're still unable to finish the game as initially planned.

Yes, every dev team should have programmers on par with John Carmack AT MINIMUM. It’s not as though the dude is a turbo-autist savant and the Mozart of programming or something.

Curratum

Yes, every dev team should have programmers on par with John Carmack AT MINIMUM. It’s not as though the dude is a turbo-autist savant and the Mozart of programming or something.

Hence the contrast of a new engine from scratch versus working on your own custom-tweaked in-house engine that you're already used to from your previous project.

It was mostly Romero who worked on actual mechanics and enemy balancing and gameplay, Carmack was more focused on the tech. FatShark already have the tech, they just need to dress it in slightly different gameplay and produce new assets.

Latelistener

Arcane
It's only been 3 years since Vermintide 2 and they've just released a big content update for it. And 3 years is what it took them to make it after the first one.

Darktide will be much more different. We've already seen automatic weapons, so I expect something else too. It's WH40K after all.

But then again, I don't think you've played any of those games extensively to understand what this is all about, otherwise you wouldn't write something this dumb. Maybe not playing those games is only a part of a requirement though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom