Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground - turn-based tactics with cards

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Beowulf MadMaxHellfire I'm 100% serious, AoS is a fantastic miniatures wargame with slick rules and has been for like, three years now. 1e was a disaster and the people in charge of making it good were all fired and replaced by people that weren't morons. I still see people seething about the "if you have a nicer beard you get two more attacks" nonsense and homies - that died in 2018, where you been? There's far more creativity in it currently as well, with tons of interesting factions of all kinds, many of your favorites and even more new ones. You might scoff at the steampunk dwarves but the minis are fun to paint and assemble, and flying around the battlefield and dropping troops on objectives is fun. There's also a lot more model variety coming out out of AoS versus 40k at the moment, which has done nothing for years besides shit out space marines. They invented a new kind of space marine so they could sell space marines again to everyone who already has space marines. People complain about the stormcasts but aside from being put in starter sets (they are very easy to paint) they aren't given the same level of ridiculous attention that Space Marines get where every single release involves at least one required minute of Astartes dicksucking.
While this may be true (I've heard that 3rd(?) ed of AoS is quite good), the unit designs are pretty hit-or-miss. Sigmarines as a whole look pretty awful and Orcs look like a shittier version of 40k Orkz. Some factions still remain quite cool, like the Lizardmen, Skaven and Chaos. I think having Sigmarines as a poster child just doesn't help them.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Beowulf MadMaxHellfire I'm 100% serious, AoS is a fantastic miniatures wargame with slick rules and has been for like, three years now. 1e was a disaster and the people in charge of making it good were all fired and replaced by people that weren't morons. I still see people seething about the "if you have a nicer beard you get two more attacks" nonsense and homies - that died in 2018, where you been? There's far more creativity in it currently as well, with tons of interesting factions of all kinds, many of your favorites and even more new ones. You might scoff at the steampunk dwarves but the minis are fun to paint and assemble, and flying around the battlefield and dropping troops on objectives is fun. There's also a lot more model variety coming out out of AoS versus 40k at the moment, which has done nothing for years besides shit out space marines. They invented a new kind of space marine so they could sell space marines again to everyone who already has space marines. People complain about the stormcasts but aside from being put in starter sets (they are very easy to paint) they aren't given the same level of ridiculous attention that Space Marines get where every single release involves at least one required minute of Astartes dicksucking.
While this may be true (I've heard that 3rd(?) ed of AoS is quite good), the unit designs are pretty hit-or-miss. Sigmarines as a whole look pretty awful and Orcs look like a shittier version of 40k Orkz. Some factions still remain quite cool, like the Lizardmen, Skaven and Chaos. I think having Sigmarines as a poster child just doesn't help them.

I won't disagree but why do you think that every single faction in a wargame needs to appeal to you? The only 40k factions I like, for example, are the Imperial Guard, the Orks and the Tyranids - I can take or leave most of the rest, and I loathe the tau.
On the subject of the Orkz, they seem to have changed them a fair bit with..today's announcement, taking a more LOTR-ish turn.

Screenshot_20210529-111704_Facebook.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

The main problem with AoS was never the retarded rules.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I won't disagree but why do you think that every single faction in a wargame needs to appeal to you?
Well.. I would like one of my favorite factions (greenskins) to appeal to me. That would be great.

Well, there's the new orks there, and there's also the Gloomspite Gitz, but if they don't appeal to you, its kinda just over lol.

The main problem with AoS was never the retarded rules.

Yeah it was the clear money-grab attempt from GW and the utterly botched and incompetent launch. We're six years away from the launch and the guy who was behind the launch was fired. What's your issue now?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The cringeworthy naming schemes just so they can copyright EVERYTHING?
The utterly trite and useless setting?
The retarded but also underdeveloped metaplot?
The resurrection of old world characters in a desperate attempt to create interest among Fantasy fans?
The fact that GW realized nobody actually wanted AoS so they're bringing back Fantasy?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
The cringeworthy naming schemes just so they can copyright EVERYTHING?
The utterly trite and useless setting?
The retarded but also underdeveloped metaplot?
The resurrection of old world characters in a desperate attempt to create interest among Fantasy fans?
The fact that GW realized nobody actually wanted AoS so they're bringing back Fantasy?

Yeah the naming schemes were a GW move, but what, are you gonna get mad at a company for trying to shore up its IP protections? Are you a communist?
I don't care about the setting or metaplot, nobody does, canon is cancer.
You saw "nobody wanted" AoS but AoS is in the top 5 of best selling wargames (which Fantasy hadn't been for 15 years when it got nixed, it was so dire that usually a single 40k faction would outsell the entire fantasy line on a good sales quarter)
They're bringing back Fantasy in the sense that they're letting Forgeworld reprint their old models for an actual fuckload more money than they used to cost. And has no bearing on AoS, they're just making sure not to leave money on the table due to the recent uptick of popularity WHFB got from a couple of really good licensed games.

Every AoS hater cannot actually explain what is wrong with the game, they go "oh the plot!" "Oh but it killed the gameline that wasn't selling or being played!". Who gives a fuck about the lore?
It has great models and great rules and almost every town with a warhammer scene has an AoS scene as well. I get games every weekend it's all a good time. At the end of the day, nothing else really matters for a good wargame. The dude who set his army on fire after AoS's announcement has praised AoS recently. Whoops!

Shinros

Learned
I collect the models myself, but anyone who considers both the setting or narrative of warhammer, this goes for 40k, aos and even fantasy to be good, all I have to say is read a proper book. Start with Lord of the Rings and branch out, then you will see how much GW has taken from better works of fiction. The pearl clutching over how good the warhammer fantasy setting was or how it was treated is laughable. The setting exists to sell plastic, that's it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I collect the models myself, but anyone who considers both the setting or narrative of warhammer, this goes for 40k, aos and even fantasy to be good, all I have to say is read a proper book. Start with Lord of the Rings and branch out, then you will see how much GW has taken from better works of fiction. The pearl clutching over how good the warhammer fantasy setting was or how it was treated is laughable. The setting exists to sell plastic, that's it.
The Warhammer lore was never really deep, but it was cool and engaging. It is not anymore, even if it is only to sell plastic.

Shinros

Learned
The Warhammer lore was never really deep, but it was cool and engaging. It is not anymore, even if it is only to sell plastic.

I wouldn't say it's engaging either, but that's my opinion. When writers say "there are as many elves at the plot demands.", you should be aware of what calibre of writers you're dealing with. The only two good things I could say about 40k and AOS is that you have room for your own stories, conquests and campaigns which you can do with your mates, that's it. When it comes to Fantasy, all I can see it as is a poor copy of Lord of the Rings, so I personally can't bring myself to care about it or engage with it. Years ago, I thought it was amazing when I collected the books and models, not anymore. Plus even AOS copies Lord of the Rings in some aspects as well, especially when it comes to characters and names. In the end this is just my opinion on warhammer in general. Taking the time to read better fiction made me realize how poor of a narrative and setting warhammer was or is.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Thanks, I had hoped that this might be the case. You confirmed that my fear will be remedied later on.

I've hit a very similar wall with the ghosts. Either something isn't clicking at all for me with them or I've got bits of different workable builds but not any single one which does. I can see where that might get more than a little bit frustrating having to try and farm chests for specific drops just to be functional in an SP campaign. No doubt why the bleed/knockback sigmarine combination is not left to chance in the tutorial.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Beowulf MadMaxHellfire There's also a lot more model variety coming out out of AoS versus 40k at the moment, which has done nothing for years besides shit out space marines. They invented a new kind of space marine so they could sell space marines again to everyone who already has space marines. People complain about the stormcasts but aside from being put in starter sets (they are very easy to paint) they aren't given the same level of ridiculous attention that Space Marines get where every single release involves at least one required minute of Astartes dicksucking.

This always remind me of this video.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Beowulf MadMaxHellfire There's also a lot more model variety coming out out of AoS versus 40k at the moment, which has done nothing for years besides shit out space marines. They invented a new kind of space marine so they could sell space marines again to everyone who already has space marines. People complain about the stormcasts but aside from being put in starter sets (they are very easy to paint) they aren't given the same level of ridiculous attention that Space Marines get where every single release involves at least one required minute of Astartes dicksucking.

This always remind me of this video.

Yeah that video came out at the height of GW fuckery. I do like how they portrayed Tom Kirby as a slick chad figure.

1315137-vlarge.jpg

He mostly just looks like a miserable, tired, british person, tbh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-storm-ground-review/

WARHAMMER AGE OF SIGMAR: STORM GROUND REVIEW
Age of Sigmar misfires on its videogame debut.

With Warhammer games having the hit ratio of a blunderbuss shooting a target at fifty feet, I should really be immune to its allure by now. But by Sigmar's steely scrotum, something about its world just gets me. I'll internet-binge whichever faction I command in Total War: Warhammer, and amidst the onslaughts of Vermintide I'll tell my teammates to shut up and wait a second as I soak up the banter between the heroes in my search for little lore tidbits.

So when asked to review Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground—the first Warhammer game set in the newish titular setting—I felt that familiar frisson stir within me. Sadly, like so much Warhammer spawn, its lore and fine writing flatter a flawed game—a clumsy attempt to combine tactical turn-based combat with a bewildering roguelike metagame.

You start each battle with a single hero unit. As you amass 'Power' over the turns you can call in subsequent units using cards that you earn by completing missions and looting chests in battle. The card system is an interesting idea, keeping battles unpredictable and disruptive (particularly in multiplayer) as your opponent will never quite know what unit you'll throw in next—and where.

The three factions cater to different playstyles. You have your straightforward Stormcast Eternals—humans wielding heavy armour and divine judgement. The Nighthaunt are a spectral faction of low-armour, fast-moving swarmers, whose hero can throw down healing wisps each turn to heal allies and summon pyres all over the battlefield that act as spawn points. hen there are the Maggotkin. Ahhh my sweet Maggotkin, where have you been all my life? Probably partying in whatever brown bubble bath awaits at the far end of our society's sewage system, given their predilection for all things putrid.

I love their disposition, from their hero Ichorian's chirpy dum-de-dumming as he moves between hexes, to the way the tiny Nurglings dance around in a state of permanent ecstasy (upon further reading, it turns out that the Plague God they lovingly called 'Grandfather' is actually a pretty decent bloke, treating his worshippers to all the rot and disease they desire). Their playstyle is based around plopping puddles of green corruption around the battlefield which heal allies, damage enemies and let you spawn units.

The longer a battle goes on, the more of the battlefield you cover in corruption, which makes for an interesting dynamic as your Nurglings scamper around shitting green goop while the enemy desperately gives chase, only to get reeled in by the gut-tongues of your tanky Putrid Blightkings or spewed upon by the airborne Blightlords. They're truly vile, and I love them.

Beyond your regular melee and ranged combat, you can knock back and shove enemies around the battlefield, chaining damage in a similar way to the excellent kaiju-bashing classic Into the Breach. Knock a Nighthaunt Banshee into its allies, and if it dies it will explode on death, knocking enemies back even further and causing them to scatter in fear from its death screech.

But beyond these sporadic moments, the hex-based tactical combat is lightweight enough that it could have been the combat segment of a grander-scale strategy game (Warhammer 40,000: Gladius would really have benefitted from it).

The maps are flat and scarce, with the only terrain advantages being single-level ledges of high ground to clamber up to. There's also the occasional hazard tile like a fissure or rickety walkway that can be shot out from under you, but it's pretty basic stuff. Strangely, prominent physical obstacles on the map offer no protection from ranged attacks, so be prepared to see arrows going straight through solid rocks and ruins.

All this is serviceable if unspectacular, but it gets buried beneath the campaigns' roguelike structure. Now, I'm a big fan of roguelikes, and will always be the first to defend the well-designed grind in the likes of Children of Morta or Dead Cells when they're accused of 'not respecting the player's time'. But in Storm Ground you can put in untold hours before a single wrong move unravels your entire campaign, and no amount of levelling, cards or new units you unlock for subsequent runs makes up for the drudgery of having to redo it all again with little variation.

It gets worse. Once you complete a chapter (that takes about three hours, not including hours worth of failed runs), you permanently unlock the second chapter in the campaign menu, which seems to suggest that you get to continue your hero's journey from this point at your leisure—a much-needed checkpoint on this longest of roguelike journeys.

Instead, when you click to play the next chapter, you restart the entire campaign at a higher difficulty, and only after trudging through that for hours do you get to progress your campaign into the next chapter. Yes, your multi-hour run—with its finely tuned warband of units and skills—resets not only when you die, but when you win the climactic battle at the end of a chapter.

I wanted to see through the Maggotkin campaign, but after some 25 hours across all three factions I'm tired of repeatedly running through the same battles and story beats, especially when I feel like I've earned the next step by completing an hours-long chapter without dying. It feels like a misuse of the roguelike format to pad out a game that—with three lengthy three-act campaigns—really didn't need it.

Presentational and quality-of-life problems don't help. In a game of such high stakes, it's perplexing that Storm Guard is missing basic conveniences like being able to undo a move at least once in a match, cancelling a delayed action (the button is there but doesn't seem to work), or even clear signalling of which units have and haven't had their turn yet.

Units disappear upon death without animation, and at one point the last remaining enemy unit turned invisible. When I clicked 'Save and Exit' to see if it fixed the bug, there was no warning that the game doesn't save your progress mid-battle, which meant rewinding twenty minutes and repeating the battle. Another twenty minutes wasted.

The game's uncomplicated combat is easier to enjoy in the multiplayer where it's free of the roguelike burden. There's some fun to be had there, especially if it diversifies the tactical utility of the maps and adds more of Age of Sigmar's unique factions in future DLC.

I'm grateful to Storm Ground for introducing me to the Maggotkin, but I think I'll go off and research them online rather than keep wading through a game that misjudges what it is that makes roguelikes fun.

THE VERDICT

WARHAMMER AGE OF SIGMAR: STORM GROUND
A straightforward tactics game buried beneath a impassable mountain of roguelike metagame.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Apparently this game is so trite that since release the entire thread was only about how shit Age of (Copyright Protected) Sigmar is?
Will skip then and wait for >10€ price then, shouldn't take long.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Apparently this game is so trite that since release the entire thread was only about how shit Age of (Copyright Protected) Sigmar is?
Will skip then and wait for >10€ price then, shouldn't take long.

most people seem to think it needed some more design

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
How does it compare with Mordheim?

Weird comparison.
Is it?
Does that mean AoS:SG isn't squad based tactics game in fantasy setting with GW license like Mordheim: City of the Damned is?
Mordheim is very different and hews much closer to the board game, terrain means much much more, there's bigger consequences to dying/losing units, etc. Everything in AoS:SG is much simpler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom