Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Fantasy Hack & Slash title

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Details are sketchy so this might need moving/renaming, but Games Workshop and Bigben signed a deal. Hopes and fears?
http://bigben-group.com/news/last-news/bigben-licence-warhammer/

Bigben and Games Workshop are happy to announce their partnership for the development of a consoles and PC game based on the renowned Warhammer Fantasy Battles IP.

This adaptation of the franchise will be the first Hack and Slash game to unfold in the Warhammer world. The game takes place in the Old World, a dark and bloody continent devastated by the wars against Chaos. Dive into the heart of the Warhammer story, become a hero and battle to survive the desolation.

The French studio Eko Software, known for attracting millions of survivors in the How to Survive series, was entrusted with the new Warhammer Fantasy Battles adaptation.

“We are very pleased to work with Games Workshop developing a game which draws from the incredible potential of the Warhammer world. The Eko Software and Bigben teams have long been fans of this franchise from day one, including myself. Warhammer Fantasy Battles is well suited to offer players something quite innovative in the timeless Hack and Slash genre.” affirmed Benoit Clerc, Director of Video Games at Bigben.

“We’re really pleased to start this new partnership with Bigben, and this project will be an amazing opportunity for gamers to experience an epic story in the first Hack and Slash game set in the classic Warhammer Fantasy world. Eko did a great job with their How To Survive series and we’re confident they are going to do something amazing with our IP. I know the Bigben and Eko staff are massive fans of our lore and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.” declared Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop.

Don't make the mistake of looking at Bigben's previous games, though.

A horse of course

Games Workshop have whored their IP out to some shitty little studio wallowing in the obscurity of mobile-first titles and shovelware

Can we really call this news

It's more like a bi-monthly routine

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh, less and less interested in GW.

The fact that they dropped the ball so FUCKING HARD on their RPG division, which could have been a major money maker for them, shows that they're suffering from short-sightedness and have a strategy akin to what Mr. House referred to as Tunnel Vision.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll reserve judgement because they've put out so much trash through various studios, but who knows, maybe they'll accidently make a good decision. Space Marine 2 is one I'd love them to talk about. The first game set it up so perfectly. I know that the studio responsible is now gone, but I'm sure a lots of people would be eager to work on the sequel.

Why are GW so retarded? :retarded:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'll reserve judgement because they've put out so much trash through various studios, but who knows, maybe they'll accidently make a good decision. Space Marine 2 is one I'd love them to talk about. The first game set it up so perfectly. I know that the studio responsible is now gone, but I'm sure a lots of people would be eager to work on the sequel.

Why are GW so retarded? :retarded:
Actually Relic is back (thus DoW3). Hopefully Space Marine 2 comes afterwards.

TBH, while most of GW video games are shit, they use to not do/allow any videogame adaptations (post Windows 98 lol), especially something with faith to the rules (exception being Blood Bowl).

Suddenly GW went spray and pray and we finally got lucky with Sanctus Reach (DoWs were good excellent but this is like.. the first good company-level TBS [again I'm talking about post-Final-Liberation/Chaos-Gate/Rites of War era]). Fantasy-wise I guess the best so far (recently) is Mordheim?

With respect to this topic, however, no I am not hopeful. I'm pretty much just gonna wait until something gets good reviews (from 40k tabletop dieharders, or us I suppose). Just like I'm trying not to be hopeful for Space Marine 2 being developed. I'll take it if it comes, as I'm pretty sure everything comes down to Nuffle. I honestly didn't even know about Sanctus Reach until post-release, whereas I knew about everything else.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Actually Relic is back (thus DoW3).

Oh, that's good to hear
Will be released in two days, actually. Do I have high hopes? Well actually it's more like, it better be good.

Sidenote on Space Marine 2, however. The problem is that Eternal Crusade is currently being pushed and its "basest" mechanics are from Space Marine. In other words, Space Marine 2 would, business-wise, not be beneficial multiplayer-wise. And I'm not sure a single-player-only Space Marine 2 would get signed off by Sega. Sega, lemme remind you, is the production company that made Obsidian kinda start Alpha Brotocol from scratch halfway through development.

We'll see. And god I need to stop thinking about SM2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom