Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Thread: Rate Each Game

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So with all of the shovelware that has been released after Relic/THQ made the best of the best Warhammer RTS games; I've noticed a lot of other games have come out since.

The heresy that is DOW3 can be spoken of, but is there a hidden gem in there? Streum developed Space Hulk. I'm assuming it was at least as good as EYE: Diveine Cybermancy?.

I enjoyed King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame - it's one of my favourite games - but Neocore really fucked everything up after that. So their Warhammer game is probably a bug-filled, maggot infested, tantacled abomination. Hoping it isn't though.

chaos gate has the best wh40k-y ost possible.
dawn of war 1.0 was awesome, got worse and worse every patch, much worse and worse every expansion.
total warhammer 2 is good yet it has infinite margins of improvement which will never be pursued.
i enjoy blood bowl but not knowing the tt i have no idea how much i'm missing.

the rest is pretty much crap, failed attempts or abandoned attempts (i'm looking at you, battlefleet gothic armada 2).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
90% of modern games with either WH IP are shit. SHIT.

Total War? Okay.
Deathwing? Okay for the presentation.
Battlefleet Gothic? Alright but gets a bit tedious.
Space Marine? Awesome but simplistic and well never see a sequel.

Everything else is literal mobile or console pleb trash.

Citizen

(Only the ones I played, I haven't tried TW, Armada, Deathwing and Mechanicus yet)

S+ tier: DoW1
S tier: Dark Omen
A tier: Chaos Gate, Rites of War, DoW2
B tier: Final Liberation, Sanctus Reach, Gladius, Spayce Muhrine and Shadow of the Horny Rat
C tier: Mark Wahlberg of Chaos, The Incredible Spayce Hulk (2013)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
C tier: Mark Wahlberg of Chaos, The Incredible Spayce Hulk (2013)

Mark of Chaos is somehow the epitome of mediocrity for me. It's like a weird bastard child of RTT and Total War, but committed to neither enough to define it.

Absolute KILLER intro, though.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My list from best to worst Warhammer games I played:

Shadow of the Horned Rat
Dark Omen
Final Liberation
Rites of War
Chaos Gate
Dawn of War
Total War Warhammer 2
Inquisitor
Blood Bowl
Vermintide
Armageddon
Mark of Chaos
Dawn of War 2

Citizen

Armageddon

Lol, I completely forgot about it while doing my list, no surprise with it being bland and unmemorable in every possible way

Edit: BTW, DoW2 at the bottom of the list, even lower than MoC? That's harsh

ValeVelKal

Arcane
My list from best to worst Warhammer games I played:

Shadow of the Horned Rat
Dark Omen
Final Liberation
Rites of War
Chaos Gate
Dawn of War
Total War Warhammer 2
Inquisitor
Blood Bowl
Vermintide
Armageddon
Mark of Chaos
Dawn of War 2

My Best to worse :
Final Liberation
Chaos Gate
Shadow of the Horned Rat
BB/BB2
Dark omen
Armaggedon
Dawn of War
Rites of War
Mark of Chaos
(Huge gap)
Warhammer Quest
Warhammer 40000 FreeBlade
(Another huge gap)
Fire Warrior
Talisman

Haven’t played the others.

Funny how I dislike Rites of War but actually it looks like I am the only one to respect Armageddon.
I am not much into RTS so I put DoW pretty low

ricolikesrice

Arcane
not perfect but i loved / love those games and they would also appear in my favourite games without the warhammer license ( in no particular order )

-Dark Omen
-Final Liberation
-Total War Warhammmer 2
-Sanctus Reach
-Gladius: Relics of War (my current favourite)

plenty of room for improvement but still good games:

-Shadow of the Horned Rat
-Space Hulk Deathwing
-Space Marine
-Dawn of War 2: Retribution
-Dawn of War 1: Dark Crusade
-Inquisitor Martyr

lots of stuff to criticize but i still had some hours of fun:

-Mordheim
-Battlefleet Gothic Armada
-Armaggedon / Da Orkz
-Chaos Gate
-Rites of War
-Vermintide
-Blood Bowl
-Mechanicus

My love for warhammer started with Dark Omen and Final Liberation when they came out. Chaos Gate and Rites of War were the first disappointments afterwards because those felt like cheap 40k knockoffs of much better games , but i still enjoyed both. I wasnt all that impressed with dawn of War initially because the singleplayer vaninlla campaign was lame, uninspired and very short and i m not much of a RTS MP guy but Dark Crusade (and the many mods for it) and later for DOW2 Retribution were fun for me.

And while i have love/hate relationships with over half the games on the list the only one i actually reget buying is Mark of Chaos - what a freaking disappointment and utter shit show. Dawn of War 3 i never bought, already seeing the faggot developers while following the game was a big warning sign and at some steam freeplay event later i found out how shit it is without paying for it.

Why Sanctus Reach and Gladius arent more popular beats me - apart from being good warhammer games they are also good turn based strategy games in their own right. Thankfully Gladius dev team is like 3 people so the small playerbase seems to be worth it releasing lots of new content and apparently even sanctus reach might have a sequel in development

ValeVelKal

Arcane
not perfect but i loved / love those games and they would also appear in my favourite games without the warhammer license ( in no particular order )

-Dark Omen
-Final Liberation
-Total War Warhammmer 2
-Sanctus Reach
-Gladius: Relics of War (my current favourite)

plenty of room for improvement but still good games:

-Shadow of the Horned Rat
-Space Hulk Deathwing
-Space Marine
-Dawn of War 2: Retribution
-Dawn of War 1: Dark Crusade
-Inquisitor Martyr

lots of stuff to criticize but i still had some hours of fun:

-Mordheim
-Battlefleet Gothic Armada
-Armaggedon / Da Orkz
-Chaos Gate
-Rites of War
-Vermintide
-Blood Bowl
-Mechanicus

My love for warhammer started with Dark Omen and Final Liberation when they came out. Chaos Gate and Rites of War were the first disappointments afterwards because those felt like cheap 40k knockoffs of much better games , but i still enjoyed both. I wasnt all that impressed with dawn of War initially because the singleplayer vaninlla campaign was lame, uninspired and very short and i m not much of a RTS MP guy but Dark Crusade (and the many mods for it) and later for DOW2 Retribution were fun for me.

And while i have love/hate relationships with over half the games on the list the only one i actually reget buying is Mark of Chaos - what a freaking disappointment and utter shit show. Dawn of War 3 i never bought, already seeing the faggot developers while following the game was a big warning sign and at some steam freeplay event later i found out how shit it is without paying for it.

Why Sanctus Reach and Gladius arent more popular beats me - apart from being good warhammer games they are also good turn based strategy games in their own right. Thankfully Gladius dev team is like 3 people so the small playerbase seems to be worth it releasing lots of new content and apparently even sanctus reach might have a sequel in development
Well I bought Sanctus Reach and Gladius a couple weeks ago so once I finish Armageddon I will report back

Ebonsword

Arcane
Everything else is literal mobile or console pleb trash.

Just because something was developed for mobile platforms doesn't mean it is automatically trash. Warhammer Quest 1 & 2 and Warhammer 40K Deathwatch are all solid, turn-based RPGs/tactics games.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Edit: BTW, DoW2 at the bottom of the list, even lower than MoC? That's harsh

While you can argue that its a better game then Mark of Chaos I hate it more because I see it as a big disappointment after the first game which I loved.

Funny how I dislike Rites of War but actually it looks like I am the only one to respect Armageddon.

I am a big fan on Panzer General type of games so thats why Rites of War is so high, Armageddon could have been a good game maybe even better then RoW but some things just pull the game down like losing xp for replenishing units and one of the worst AI I ever saw in a game.

Last edited:

Citizen

While you can argue that its a better game then Mark of Chaos I hate it more because I see it as a big disappointment after the first game which I loved.

I kinda love DoW2 even tho it's not the sequel I wanted. It's a good RTT-lite with spayce muhreens and shiet

ValeVelKal

Arcane
The only thing I remember of Mark of Chaos was my shock at noticing range units could shoot at enemies engaged in melee with friendlies with no consequence, and the very first battle were supposedly you defend from the high ground but it is actually all clunky. I know I went until the end because it was pre-Steam and pre-being rich and buying all the games I wanted, but still.

I am a big fan on Panzer General type of games so thats why Rites of War is so high, Armageddon could have been a good game maybe even better then RoW but some things just pull the game down like losing xp for replenishing units and one of the worst AI I ever saw in a game.

Well I am a bit fan of PG type and played most of them (though since I played Order of Battle I am not sure si could go back to PG/PC) and I really did not like Rites of War. Possibly it is because I played it recently, early 2020, but then I also played Chaos Gate and Final Liberation early 2020 and those two I love. I am currently playing Armageddon.

I disagree with the fact that there is no experience in Armageddon. The difference with most PG games is that you can’t buy reinforcements without losing experience which makes sense in a realism and gameplay point of view : losing troops of any specific group a real bummer rather than just make you tap in your common resource pool whatever’troop you lost - in addition it means that in end game you don’t have only an army of super elite with the balancing issue it causes but only an handful of super veteran you cherish.

I am in the middle of part II to have units reach max level: anti-tank infantry (which I eventually lost), snotlings and even Ogryns who never reached 10 but stayed between 7 and 9 though they just died. Most of my armors is XP 4-6. This system also works well with the fact that elements of an unit can have more HP than 1 - you have to balance healing them so slowly but maybe saving their XP and attacking with them.

Having played Rites of War and Armageddon back to back I don’t think the AI of the former is better or worse than the one of the later. But at least with works, terrible Intelligence is thematic. Less so with humans.

There are two things I dislike with Armageddon : apparently you only fight Orks from the beginning to the end whereas at least with Rites of War you had Imperial Guard the Space Marines then Genestealer, and in Armageddon you cannot buy troops any more once you reach the maximum, ie you cannot have troops in reserve because you feel there are not going to be useful in the scenario.

What I really like is that each scenario has its own pool of ressources rather than being stocked and spent from one battle to another. For a player like me that tries to Ironman // accept the consequence it is golden. In PG clone you can find yourself fucked because your reserve is too low to proceed. Panzer Corps is worst offender in that regard. In Rites of War the problem was more when losing super high experience units, by mid game given the opposition low experience units have no survivability.

Did you play Order of Battle by the way ?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
I kinda love DoW2 even tho it's not the sequel I wanted. It's a good RTT-lite with spayce muhreens and shiet

I tried getting into it, including multiplayer but I just couldn't, with small number of units and no base building it just felt like a slap in the face.

The only thing I remember of Mark of Chaos was my shock at noticing range units could shoot at enemies engaged in melee with friendlies with no consequence, and the very first battle were supposedly you defend from the high ground but it is actually all clunky. I know I went until the end because it was pre-Steam and pre-being rich and buying all the games I wanted, but still.

Honestly the only thing I remember of Mark of Chaos was great opening cinematic and nice visuals. Thats pretty much it, a mediocre at best and forgettable game that atleast didnt make me feel angry like DoW2.

Well I am a bit fan of PG type and played most of them (though since I played Order of Battle I am not sure si could go back to PG/PC) and I really did not like Rites of War. Possibly it is because I played it recently, early 2020, but then I also played Chaos Gate and Final Liberation early 2020 and those two I love. I am currently playing Armageddon.

I disagree with the fact that there is no experience in Armageddon. The difference with most PG games is that you can’t buy reinforcements without losing experience which makes sense in a realism and gameplay point of view : losing troops of any specific group a real bummer rather than just make you tap in your common resource pool whatever’troop you lost - in addition it means that in end game you don’t have only an army of super elite with the balancing issue it causes but only an handful of super veteran you cherish.

I am in the middle of part II to have units reach max level: anti-tank infantry (which I eventually lost), snotlings and even Ogryns who never reached 10 but stayed between 7 and 9 though they just died. Most of my armors is XP 4-6. This system also works well with the fact that elements of an unit can have more HP than 1 - you have to balance healing them so slowly but maybe saving their XP and attacking with them.

Having played Rites of War and Armageddon back to back I don’t think the AI of the former is better or worse than the one of the later. But at least with works, terrible Intelligence is thematic. Less so with humans.

There are two things I dislike with Armageddon : apparently you only fight Orks from the beginning to the end whereas at least with Rites of War you had Imperial Guard the Space Marines then Genestealer, and in Armageddon you cannot buy troops any more once you reach the maximum, ie you cannot have troops in reserve because you feel there are not going to be useful in the scenario.

What I really like is that each scenario has its own pool of ressources rather than being stocked and spent from one battle to another. For a player like me that tries to Ironman // accept the consequence it is golden. In PG clone you can find yourself fucked because your reserve is too low to proceed. Panzer Corps is worst offender in that regard. In Rites of War the problem was more when losing super high experience units, by mid game given the opposition low experience units have no survivability.

I played the game ages ago so maybe they changed something about XP with patches but when I played it was pretty much impossible to level units above 5-6 since the xp penalty was too high. In PG games you had option of expensive elite reinforcements that didnt drain your XP.

The first half of the game is is pretty decent but later the AI will show how bad it is later when you get to use a single super tank or titan to choke entire enemy army and just bomb it to oblivion.

There were other problems like if I recall well there was no soft/hard distinction of armor.

I just found the game to be very flawed and just mediocre.

Did you play Order of Battle by the way ?

No, I got in in my backlog but I never get around playing it, mostly due mixed opinions I always get about it.

Citizen

I tried getting into it, including multiplayer but I just couldn't, with small number of units and no base building it just felt like a slap in the face.

MP is a huge downgrade compared to the original, but if you play it a single player RPG/RTT it's quite enjoyable, especially the chaos expansion was cool

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

MP is a huge downgrade compared to the original, but if you play it a single player RPG/RTT it's quite enjoyable, especially the chaos expansion was cool

Yeah that one expansion campaign where you have choices for your space marines to turn to chaos was pretty good.

But I played DoW pretty much only for multiplayer and for that it was pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom