Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wario appreciation thread

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Recently played Wario Land 4 for the first time and now I'm replaying all the Wario Land games. When I think about it these games were a bigger part of my childhood than even Mario. Wario Land 1 was one of the first games I played and I spent months playing each one when I got them as they had so much hidden content and were quite difficult. In fact Wario Land 2 and 3 are two of the only games I can think that manage to be difficult even though you technically can't die in either one.

I really like how the developers went out of their way to make it as unlike a Mario game as possible. Instead of platforming, although there is some of that, it is more about navigating labyrinthine levels, paying attention to discover hidden areas, using Wario's moveset and the abilities gained from enemies, and so on.

Wario Land 3 even had Metroid aspects where the player would discover new items or new abilities in some levels that allowed exploration of previously inaccessible areas.

wario_land_3_world.png

Wario Land 2 had multiple exits in certain levels that would lead to different branching paths, each with their own levels, bosses, endings. Seeing the true ending required finding every single treasure and completing a secret map.

WL2_Treasure_Map.png

After I finish my replays I'll try the DS and Wii Wario games that I never played.

Explorerbc

Arcane
The first one was my favorite game on gameboy. I had all save slots at 100% treasure and 99,999 coins for the moon ending. Every now and then I would just delete one and do it all over. I still remember the day I bought it from the store, ran to the back of the car, opened it and started the first level.

The only other one I played was 3, which was pretty cool but I never aced it the way I did with the first one. One day I tried to get back to it but the cartridge was fucked :negative:

These and Kirby's Dreamland are the only nintendo titles I ever played I also played pokemon first gen.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Also interesting to note on replaying them that mini-games were incorporated in a progressively larger degree. That and the fact that Wario Land 4 has a lot of time attack elements to it show that they were experimenting with the idea of something like Warioware for a long time. I'm actually surprised my kid self picked up Warioware considering how strange and different from the other Wario games it looked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom