Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlock Master of the Arcane - Fantasy Civ5 clone from Paradox

kris

Arcane
Just tried an Armageddon game and got rolled pretty hard on one difficulty down from impossible. I was able to hold my territory but the pressure from the dremers is getting to the point I don't think I can hack it. Certainly can't expand.

This leads me to believe they didn't break the AI with recent patches and Metro is just good at Warlock! With that being the case you definitely might wanna hold off on Fallen Enchantress for a good sale Metro. If I can stomp that game on challenging easily you'd probably destroy it.

I never tried armageddon, but AI without that was easily beaten on impossible.

FE on the other hand proved really difficult now that I tested it for the first time... and I play on normal.

Kayerts

Arcane
(Comments are about single player.)

Armageddon can be a lot of fun for a few playthroughs, if you like the game but find the hardest difficulty too easy. That said, the difficulty in it is frontloaded; turns 30-60 can be interesting, but if you survive those, then the rest of the game is likely to be a boring slog.

Elf DLC is mediocre; elves are pretty solidly the worst starting race, because their expansion is the slowest in the game, their economy is the worst in the game, and they only have one good unit. This might make them a good race to play as a challenge, except that that one good unit is REALLY good against neutrals and kinda trivializes Armageddon.

Power of the Serpent, Master of Artifacts, and Powerful Lords are all basically player aid. Their mechanics are initially fun, but less so once you realize they break a game that's already very breakable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ I agree with that summation. Probably just get the armageddon DLC because it adds an actual challenge. The base game is trivially easy even on Impossible thanks to broken campaign AI. You can live without the Elf cities/units. Other DLC is arguably worthless.

Gord

Arcane
Ok, thanks guys.
I think I'll wait for a sale then and probably get them at that point.
Elves DLC sounds interesting because it adds another race, even if that race might be weaker and Armageddon due to the new playing mode.
If I feel it's absolutely necessary for my enjoyment I might get those two earlier, but otherwise it's sale.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Save your money even when it's on sale: http://steamdb.info/sub/26768/

Wait. What? How?
Is it like super fresh?

Anyway Warlock was D1 buy for me, uninstalled after half an hour. Buggy, broken a boring.
Recently tried again with all the DLCs and had literally a ton of fun. With all the patches and additions it's one of the best TBS out there. Only one downside - game's as easy as taking a shit, especially with all the absurdly broken lords (oh the hell rabbit, after couple of levels that guy is completely invulnerable). But overall it's definitelly fun.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, Warlock is 70% off over at GamersGate. I'd absolutely recomend it even for a regular price. For this kind of discount it's a crime not to grab it.

I say grab this and the Elves DLC. Don't buy the Artifacts and Lords DLCs since they are ridiculously overpowered and break the game, which is too damn easy already.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Ok, Warlock is 70% off over at GamersGate. I'd absolutely recomend it even for a regular price. For this kind of discount it's a crime not to grab it.

I say grab this and the Elves DLC. Don't buy the Artifacts and Lords DLCs since they are ridiculously overpowered and break the game, which is too damn easy already.

Thanks for the tip cvv, just bought the game.

I'm liking it so far. Only thing that I find really annoying is the spell research tree. IS there any way to see the complete tree? I only see the six options that are available to me right now but not what future options these spells unlock.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, you can't, that's one of the bigger annoyances in this game.
But I haven't played it for some time now, maybe there are some mods fixing that.

Riel

Arcane
Spell research tree doesn't seem to be a tree at all. I think it is simply randomized every game. So you just stumble forward and see what's next.

I enjoy the hell out of this game, one of my favorite things to do is take one random unit and treat it as the hero. Every enchantment researched? He gets it. Resource and location upgrades, natch. Fuck your undead Dauros paladins, skeletal soldier #25618 just soloed half an army by himself and then kicked in the city walls.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I also tried to add this to my backlog steam library, then discovered it's already here. Oh well...

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Simple but decent fantasy strategy game. Would have to be an ignorant idiot not to pick this up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom