Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlock Master of the Arcane - Fantasy Civ5 clone from Paradox

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They should just make Age of Wonders 3 already.

Mortmal

Arcane
After looking at the vidoes too, i am not so excited indeed. 3 races , no heroes, no artifacts, ill pass. An AAA master of magic will never happen, be grateful we still have stuff like dominion 3 and COE3, youll play with clumsy interfaces and 8 bits graphics but good gampleay or youll play nothing at all. I dont trust anyone in making another age of wonders either, they will make a rts out of it or more likely a shooter nowadays.

Eyeball

Arcane
Don't worry about the 3 races, it's allright, he said that they'll add a 4th one. As DLC.

I frankly think this tells you all you need to know about this game.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Holy shit, that brings some memories. I remember watching that show when I was a kid in '93 or '94 (got my first pc later in '98). I guess I owe it my passion for video games and computers in general. Well, that and Secret Service ;) .

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Pretty much this.
Correct all the cheesiness, implement new stuff, makes heroes more diverse, make some spheres more useful, make a good engine, better random maps, etc.

And add an AI that can actually build cities and cares about its own survival.

Have zero interest in this game. If it looks and smells like shit I don't want to step into it and this one reeks.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After some time spent on their forums and watching videos I am not sure if its a MoM clone at all. Has some features that seem somewhat similar, thats it.

Seems way more like civ5 fantasy edition or fantasy general: fantasy edition.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Pretty much this.
Correct all the cheesiness, implement new stuff, makes heroes more diverse, make some spheres more useful, make a good engine, better random maps, etc.

And add an AI that can actually build cities

That is possible with the right mod, like the Wizards&Heroes mod. Basically you need to give Settler an attack rating higher than 0, otherwise the AI will never build them. Once it has settlers it will use them to build new cities.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was added to the Steam registry today so it should probably be released within a week.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Are all coming Paradox games now Steam exclusive? First Boring War Arctic Circle, now Mashter of the Arcade too?
Not that I would lose anything, apart from M&B there is not one Paradox games that I'm actually playing.
But it's stll incredible if they fuck over their real fans that way.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But can it beat Fall from Heaven 2 on Civ4 ?

Not that hard since FFH has a lot of issues. Its great in theory but in practice AI sucks too hard to use almost all features and mod isnt developed anymore. A true pity in my opinion.

But can it beat Fall from Heaven 2 on Civ4 ?

Not that hard since FFH has a lot of issues. Its great in theory but in practice AI sucks too hard to use almost all features and mod isnt developed anymore. A true pity in my opinion.

http://www.masterofmana.com/
Alot more fun than FFH was. Overland spells, city specialization, much improved AI, and fixes to just about any area. Then some more goodies that doesn't break balance or AI.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know master of mana but its even worse than FFH in terms of challenge. I can win immortal games with 2-3 cities in mom...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good to see a budget price point on this... of course, I'll still wait for the inevitable sale. There's also a demo up on Steam, too.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I was mildly concerned about that, but during that streaming video the Paradox guy who was playing/demoing the game said they probably aren't going to be releasing any more games at $40, and were aiming at $20 or $30 maximum for new games. The reason he gave was they were making so much more money from selling via digital distribution as opposed to physical copies. And he said they'd rather have a larger install base at a lower price, presumably because they're Paradox and knock out expansions and DLC at a good clip.

No idea if that's true or if that was just spin for making a budget game, but it's nice to think it's true. Mildly tempted to put an order in on it since I've got that 15% IGN discount on Gamersgate, which would make a Steam key $17. Really shouldn't with all the other damn games I've got sitting around though. And probably best to wait for some Codex opinions. Maybe I'll look at the demo.

Edit: Oh, there's a guy selling Warlock on Steam for $15 on CAG. Huh.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It'll probably be down to $10 during the Summer Sale, I wouldn't get it now. I played the demo for about an hour and it's not bad. I haven't played Civ 5 but I guess you'd basically say it's Civ 5 with a Majesty twist. At least, it plays very much like Civ 4 in terms of building cities, creating units, improving cities, capturing tiles with resources, etc. There's a couple of different concepts like mana as a resource to cast spells and random quests you get for gold and such but nothing amazing. If they were selling it for $40 I'd laugh but at $20 (and lower during a sale) seems like a solid buy for some strategy fun.

Re: the previous discussions in this thread -- from the demo it certainly didn't appear that there were anything like heroes or artifacts or any kind of RPG mechanics at all. It's basically Civ 4/5 (one unit per tile) from the city building, to the movement, to the combat, to the diplomacy/trade screen, etc.

Speaking of CAG, trying to trade that TL1 copy for some cheap-o Steam game but I doubt I'll have much luck. I'd use the Steam trading forums but I really don't want to link my forum account with my Steam account -- that just opens the door for them banning you for posting shit on the forums.

Multi-headed Cow

Since Steam forum and Steam-Steam accounts are separate, being banned on the forum shouldn't have any impact on Steam itself. Theoretically. I've had my Steam forum account suspended once or twice and didn't have issue logging on to Steam but I never tied my forum account to my Steam account either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Since Steam forum and Steam-Steam accounts are separate, being banned on the forum shouldn't have any impact on Steam itself. Theoretically. I've had my Steam forum account suspended once or twice and didn't have issue logging on to Steam but I never tied my forum account to my Steam account either.

Oh, I know, but tying them together just tips them off as to what your actual game account is -- although maybe you don't know about the new thing where you have the 'option' to do it. That is, your account profile is accessible through a direct link integrated into the forums. It's also a requirement to use the trading forums now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom