Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Fallout 76 a small slip or it will impact future of Bethesda?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I honestly hope one day Bethesda will close it's doors. We are half way there already with Bioware. Let's hope we will all live to see the moment when both of them are dead and celebrate it by playing something good.

No, just no. Bethesda made Morrowind and it's legacy needs to prevail.

I honestly hope one day Bethesda will close it's doors. We are half way there already with Bioware. Let's hope we will all live to see the moment when both of them are dead and celebrate it by playing something good.

No, just no. Bethesda made Morrowind and it's legacy needs to prevail.

It's the same bethesda who made Morrowind only in name. Don't let them fool you with corporate branding.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
The Barriers are Breaking Down. 4CHAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. THE MEMES ARE BECOMING REALITY. MEMES ARE THE SECRET WEAPON TO SURPASS METAL GEAR.

Elder Scrolls 6: Skywind out of Wooden Elven Arse - In Full VR. How can this be sidetracked or slipped? <video of a guy with VR goggles and a pot on his head>

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It won't change anything. Millennials and post-millenials will continue to preorder any releases and re-releases of their games.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
They normally wait just long enough for consumertards to forget how bad their games are w/o mods - starving fanboys and presstitutes of information compounded the hype - but they got greedy and rammed too many games through in that small window. For a company that obsesses with cinematic feel over substance, its nice to see one of the most belabored complaints are the graphics.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda remind me of those managers that always want to "Put systems in place". like you strike lightning, and then try to work out how to make it an automated sequence. Maybe it worked, and maybe now even the people who loved their games are getting bored.

So they'll probably try a new formula and sequence - and maybe the next one will work. My understanding of the game was that it was shit becasuse it was broken, not that it was shit because it was more of the same. So maybe their client base wont get fed up.

Here's an idea Bethesda: start making everything work, and create AI routines for squirrels in your future games.

CootKeeper

Augur
When I think about it, BGS haven't released that many games since Skyrim. One every 3 years? How are they making dough or staying afloat?

It is weird. Skyrim was 2011. They went a whole console generation without a new Elder Scrolls.

My guess would be they don't actually spend much developing the games. They're probably pretty low budget with most of what gets called the games budget being marketing, and they've been making extremely good money off their releases for a long while now. It also sounded like they made a ton of money with that Fallout Shelters iOS game.

But the slowdown is weird. They went from making three game during the 360 PS4 era to basically making one this gen. It just kind of seems like them leaving money on the table, although I'm sure they can afford to at the moment.

Funposter

Arcane
It is weird. Skyrim was 2011. They went a whole console generation without a new Elder Scrolls.

My guess would be they don't actually spend much developing the games. They're probably pretty low budget with most of what gets called the games budget being marketing, and they've been making extremely good money off their releases for a long while now. It also sounded like they made a ton of money with that Fallout Shelters iOS game.

But the slowdown is weird. They went from making three game during the 360 PS4 era to basically making one this gen. It just kind of seems like them leaving money on the table, although I'm sure they can afford to at the moment.
My theory continues to be that they are afraid to develop and release TES VI since they know it won't live up to Skyrim in terms of sales or pop culture relevance. Skyrim genuinely was lightning in a bottle - 30 million units sold after previous entries barely cracked 5mil, a marketing campaign that "just werked" and even now normies believing it was the best RPG ever.

Fallout 4 was a relative failure. It presumably cost more to produce and it sold maybe half as many copies. It was not lauded critically in the same. This has spooked them, because the formula they've followed isn't working anymore. FO76 was just the cherry on top of the shit sandwich.

Harthwain

Magister
So they'll probably try a new formula and sequence - and maybe the next one will work. My understanding of the game was that it was shit becasuse it was broken, not that it was shit because it was more of the same. So maybe their client base wont get fed up.
Yeah, people are going to like large singleplayer sandboxes no matter what. Bethesda simply dropped the ball hard with Fallout 76 and that's it: Everything Wrong With Fallout 76.

Fallout 76 - and games as live service scams - *are* the future of BS Games Studios.
I am wondering when the whole "games as service" bubble is going to burst, because I doubt that people have time to keep up with that shit. I know I don't bother with most games that aren't singleplayer-oriented, have a monthly subscription, etc. Then again, I fail to see the allure/point of gambling boxes from consumer's perspective (I'd rather buy stuff directly, rather than gamble on it and waste my money that way), so I am probably not the target audience anyway...

hexer

I remember reading around 2000. one reviewer in a local gaming magazine wrote "it's hard being a franchise" when they announced Fallout Tactics instead of Fallout 3.
I wish I could say something else 20 years later but we're stuck in a Groundhog's day here

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I think the one-two punch that Fallout 4 and 76 were has changed things at least. I never used to be able to talk about disliking Bethesda to people before, but now I regularly have conversations about how much people hate them now. Long term, I think the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout will sell well over it's lifespan, barring another colossal fuck-up, but at launch I'm betting its sales will be much lower than expected and/or hoped for by Bethesda.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Just think it this way: Skyrim and Fallout 4 maybe bad RPG, but they are the best sex games in the market.

Fallout 76 on the other hand has no such redeeming quality.

Unlike many people in this thread, I would prefer Bethesda to live long and prosper as long as they continue to create more playground for loverslab.

So whether starfield will be worth it is purely depend on how much content loverslab can create from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom