Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition announced...for Xbox One?!

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Broseph Codex Fairy Queen Patron

Broseph
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. turul Scholar

turul
    There are also other games, that started on kickstarter, PC gamers pledged and beta tested for over a year, developers promised things, and now headed for the consoles.
    I say fck these "back from the shadows" developers.

^ Top  
  3. Junmarko Arcane

Junmarko
    This is so fucking agitating, it's basically history repeating itself again. The same thing happened with Deus Ex if you look back - made for PC first, then ported to PS2 after it's success, only to have the sequel cross developed for the PC and Xbox - I shouldn't need to remind anyone how that game turned out either. Which arguably influenced other big RPG franchises/developers to follow suite.

After all these years of traditional PCRPGs disappearing entirely, or being overly simplified due to a cross platform release, people like Fargo stand up and pretty much proclaim crowdfunding the only way to bring them back (if you go back to the first Kickstarter video, Fargo even outright mocks the current gaming industry) - and then for him to now cave and announce a console release is beyond hypocritical.

Maybe you like Wasteland 2 or maybe you don't, but what is worth noting is that The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter influenced a lot of PC devs to make a come back. It might not appear a big deal now, but he has basically reset the trend by porting to consoles - let's just hope no one else follows it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    ^ Top  
  4. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    This is a poor example because Deus Ex was actually a good game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    LOL, this is bullshit. This won't start the trend because console peasants don't like turn based cRPGs and developing it for the consoles primarily wouldn't make a profit. Deus Ex migrated to consoles because it is a FPS-RPG which translates better to that platform.

People are butthurt because of console version and they can't see that it is not the console ports which are bad. They are actually a good way for the developer to get some quick buck. If the game is developed with a PC in mind, like with W2, then everythink is right in the world.

^ Top  
  6. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    In the future we will see the same sock puppet meltdown of Colin, like from Tim Schafer at the GDC 2015. This happens if you dive too deep into the sarkeesian shit.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    ^ Top  
  7. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Or sea, at this point they are basically the same person.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Art Vandelay Prophet

Art Vandelay
    but what if console port sells more than pc version?

Thats right,huehuehue.

^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Will never happen.

^ Top  
  10. GloomFrost Cipher

GloomFrost

People are butthurt because the consoles got an improved version straightaway with better graphics, balance, new voice overs, perks etc. While people who believed Fargo and actually made this game happen been made nothing but beta testers all along.

^ Top  
  11. Weirdstuffinspace Erudite

Weirdstuffinspace
    It doesn't matter because as sensuki's vid already proves even if profits are minimal, it still affects design decisions fucking over pc backers. like the idiiotic quarter turn camera.

Where is the codex interview about this subject. We know all the answers will be lies, but at least we will be able to point at those lies in the future when we have the facts to proclaim them as such.

PoE with fucking sawyer and his bullshit, Elite raped by MMO cash hungry braben, Star citizien the ultimate fukcing scam and THIS IS A PC GAME is already talking about the consoles. WL2, torment, Div original sin will have it's console announcement up soon too. Fucking shits the lot of them.

Cash rules everything around me, cream get da backers money, dolla dolla bill ya'll.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Who fucking cares what the consoles get? This is ridiculous. You are butthurt because the consoles get a good, improved game? I don't give a damn what the consoles get. All I see is that we got a good cRPG last year which we liked, and we get an improved edition now. You don't care about the game. You are a entitled little cunt who cares less about the game itself and more about which platform gets a game. Oh, I'm a PC gamer and I should get every game and consoles shouldn't get any, even if them getting a game has no effect on our PC game whatsoever.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    People are cynical because they've seen it before. First it's a console port for a game "developed with a pc in mind". Then, when the next game is made, the devs remember the hassles they had converting UIs etc to console and also bear the console port in mind when designing the game.

Sure, consoles don't seem to be as dominant in terms of sales for these sorts of games, so we can hope that things won't deteriorate to the extent they did the last time around. But it does seem like the promised balance patches that many are waiting for to play the PC version of WL2 (and D:OS I guess) have been delayed longer than expected, perhaps because they're a bit distracted with the console ports?

Which is funny given what Fargo said during the KS, that they were not doing a console release so as not to distract from the PC game:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Nah, you people are overreacting... no way Fargo will make enough money with the consoles to keep him out of kickstarter, if he tries this funny thing of popamoling the gameplay of next InXile game for consoles, he will be BURN and HARD. I didn't enjoy Wasteland 2 but let's see if this GOTY version solves some of the problems, I'm skeptical but let's see...

^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    The console version didn't distract from the development of the game at all. The game was released and no work on the console version was done before it. We are talking about post release stuff here, and I don't think things said during the KS applies here.

^ Top  
  16. Ramireza Savant

Ramireza
    But why not? It would be nice to see the Wasteland World in 3D, imersion and stuff. Maybe they could create a FPS/Roundbased Targeting System? That would be awesome!

And in 10 Year we maybe get Wasteland 2 : EE after BD/Overhaul brought us Baldurs Gate III - Irenicus Revenge - and the real PST successor : Planescape Torment II : The Return - First Brain Part II

Good times..

^ Top  
  17. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
  18. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    WTF, Sea wrote a post here addressing some concerns and now it's disappeared. Made an unauthorised promise, perhaps? :lol:

^ Top  
  19. Ramireza Savant

Ramireza
    for REAL!?

^ Top  
  20. Turok Erudite

Turok
    If the product is ready and can be ported to other systems, i don't see why all the butthurt around here.

If they can milk more money from a finished product is good, i want see then rolling in money, i am sure they are not going to forget us PC gamers, i want see more PC games on the future like Divinity Original sin, Wasteland 2, PoE, etc.

They are working to get money not to make everyone happy, they are not santa clos.

^ Top  
  21. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    It was just a mirror of another post I made on our official forums; it didn't seem super important to post here, but I'm happy to post it again:

And to also clarify, since there is still some apparent confusion:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Black Arcane

Black
    Thank god, that was my biggest concern.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  23. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    No we didn't. There's 3 credited 2D artists, one of whom is the "young guy from Poland" mentioned in this interview. Those aren't the only people who worked on UI, and none of them (except Drozyner) worked only on UI.

This is more often the case than not for any video game project. Most just use functional-only UIs in the period where we started showing the game, but it's pretty standard to iterate heavily on functionality and look. The consumer just doesn't usually get to see it.

^ Top  
  24. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That doesn't sound like a free upgrade......?

^ Top  
  25. toro Arcane

toro
    I think Fargo is just fucking around. He is probably preparing to make a big announcement or some shit.

Or at least I hope so cause personally I will not pay one more cent on it after spending 100$+ on this game and not receiving the fucking box.

This is one dick move that would trigger my rage mode.

Also the latest posts from sea and BN are more and more like PR crap. I think a codex interview is badly needed in this case.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.