Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Livonya Augur Patron

Livonya
    Everything always comes back to JA2.

Every time I hear about a new game that sounds interesting I just imagine what it would be like if it was built using the JA2 engine.

It mystifies me that the development of JA2 style game engines stopped with JA2.

The graphics look a bit dated, there are some problems of course with JA2, but for actual game play I don't know if I have ever been more satisfied with a game engine.

If InXile were to build an engine that was essentially an updated JA2 game engine in 3D then they could crank out games with that engine for the next 20 years.

Seriously, the JA2 engine is so good, which is really sad because it should be a piece of history that shows how we got to something really great today, and instead it is the end of progress.

Just weird.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Okay, yeah, literal top-down like GTA is nauseating and awful, but my gut reaction to "isometric" is thinking of something turdy like Neverwinter Nights.

I wouldn't mind something in the style of Ultima 4/5 and Wasteland, or modern roguelikes, and that's what I was expecting when he said "top down." Fallout-style, if done in 2D and not with a rotating camera, is cool.

^ Top  
  3. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yeah, I concur, isometric all the way. Like Fallout 1 / 2 and Jagged Alliance 2. There is simply no other way. Also, I hope they know what they are doing, and that fan input will be limited. :D

^ Top  
  4. toro Arcane

toro
    $769,206 (85%)

So $900.000 will probably be reached tomorrow. Good night.

^ Top  
  5. FaChoi Educated

FaChoi
    I'll be bumping threads on this till $800K then bed, $26 grand won't take long

^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Wasteland 2 funding is reached, and the new golden era of CRPGs begins. At a Thursday, no less. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. hiver Guest

hiver
    • 86% funded
    • $774,242
    five thousand in four minutes.

^ Top  
  8. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Dunno. Haven't seen Skyway in days.

It's already been cleared up that he's using "Top Down" as a catch all for iso and heli view, as Brother Nonesler commented yesterday somewhere.

^ Top  
  9. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    It looks like Fargo is preparing to do a Reddit AMA which will easily push it to the 100% mark. As long as he does it correctly and pretends he's answering questions and doesn't go all out on self promotion.

^ Top  
  10. hiver Guest

hiver
    In the same way Isometric is actually a general term nowadays for all sorts of such similar but different views.

^ Top  
  11. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    I'm thinking it would be great and it would certainly add to the atmosphere and feeling of the game to have "talking heads" from Jagged Alliance 2 or Fallout. What do you guys think? Will the game even be made in that style? Of course, only for selected characters, like in Fallout or Jagged Alliance 2. I don't want them to blow their budget away on "cinematic experience". :hearnoevil:

^ Top  
  12. hiver Guest

hiver
    It could, which doesnt necessarily mean it will. Leave it to Fargo, he has some slight experience dealing with raging fans.
    Besides, it was his pledge from the start to get people involved in some ways and he is making good on the promise.

It actually can work rather well. Check Iron Towers forums on how to do it right.

^ Top  
  13. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    the Codex in-game thing should be a giant dick that attacks the player with buckets of blood while shouting obscenities.

^ Top  
  14. lulurkinglurkerlurk Learned

lulurkinglurkerlurk
    I WANT VAN BUREN ENGINE! fuck JA engine with all the respect.
    I love JA but, its easy to go full meta on it. I prefer VB engine or this:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Sorry for the triple post, something's not right with my Codex... :oops:

^ Top  
  16. hiver Guest

hiver
    Not bad... not bad at all. AND it can be in a bunker :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    By the way, YOU'RE MAD! :p

^ Top  
  18. hiver Guest

hiver
    you can delete them, right?
    Had a glitch myself too.

^ Top  
  19. likaq Arcane

likaq
    This.
    :bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    As much I'd love to see inXile use JA2-style combat, this looks really sweet:

^ Top  
  21. hiver Guest

hiver
    Old TROIKA engine demo - Best, most beautiful thing i ever saw....

brings a tear to my eye every fucking single time, even after all this time....

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Limited to input from the Codex and NMA ;)

^ Top  
  23. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    So, does anyone know how much -> :hearnoevil: <- pledged? M:

^ Top  
  24. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 11 Patron

skuphundaku
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That's exactly the engine I was thinking about this morning. However, that's not Van Buren. Van Buren was going to be Interplay/Black Isle's Fallout 3. What you linked is a tech demo of the engine that Troika was creating for their 4th game, which never saw the light of day. Van Buren died at the same time Interplay did, in 2003. Troika died in 2005. It's interesting to note that both companies died working on RPGs in a post-apocalyptic setting using a 3D engine and an "isometric" view.

^ Top  
  25. Bitcher1 Cipher

Bitcher1
    Largely thanks to Dune's soundtrack, I'd say.
    Still, it's great to know Jason Anderson (Bloodlines' creative director) is one of the lead writers for WL2. Even if he already moved to Turtle Rock or somewhere.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.