Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

almondblight

Arcane
They used the Arcanum engine and it was a short dungeon crawler.

But they modified that engine a lot. I wonder if the Arcanum engine set them much further ahead than if Fargo licenses one.

Also, I have my doubts that this game will be some kind of revolutionary RPG. And I don't think any amount of time will make it that. I think ~2 years is doable to make some kind of decent, fun-ish RPG. My main hope is that we get something decent that leads to better stuff down the road.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
18 months was probably more realistic when the project was looking at being a smaller scale $1 million project. You'd think that with the increased scope development time will need to be longer.

edit; I'm with Jaesun, I've waited so damn long for this type of RPG to be made again they can take 3 years and it wouldn't worry me.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, no matter how excruciating the wait will be I would rather they take their time and get it right the first time. The future of crowd-sourcing cRPGs rides on this projects success or failure. I want this the be the rebirth NOT the burial of old-school cRPGs!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I think any wait should be easier since with kickstarter we should have greater community-developer interaction aka knowing what the fuck is going on without PR bullshit

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
yeah bros

It's not like Brain Fargo can go "LMAO VOCAL MINORITY FUK DA HATERS' or 'rest assured we are taking your concerns very seriously and will address them at the penny arcade expo with our full-costume ranger community team'

the wonders of having to cater to a niche is that you scorn the niche at your peril

well unless he makes a mainstream rpg success defeating Fallout IV with just 3 million dollars and becomes king of the newshit gaming world even if all the original backers burn their boxes in disgust and also MCA grows a twirly moustache

BEHOLD
83780e34.jpg

while exceedingly charismatic, this is clearly a being capable of remorseless evil
(facial hair credit to mr hasselhoff)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
18 months was probably more realistic when the project was looking at being a smaller scale $1 million project. You'd think that with the increased scope development time will need to be longer.

That's probably true.

The expectations and aspirations will be much higher now, and even though this topic is still at least year out, every one would accept a delay. If inXile can present a nice, playable demo in Oct. 2013, people will give them up to a year more, so let's say mid to late 2014 is realistic, Oct. 2013 is probably not. That would still be only ~2.5 years, the absolute minimum for a game of this type.

It's still very good that they have set a fixed release date, because it means they will try to get as far as possible in the next 18 months, which is imo at the minimum a playable alpha.

I would only get mighty pissed if they have no alpha in Oct 2013, only some meaningless images, and change release date to "when it's done".

But you know what, this will not happen. Brian will either release a rushed game in the 18-ish months (which could be either good or bad), or draw out the development for a longer time to make a really great game.
But him making a game for 3-5 years that's still sucking is hardly imagineable, because then he would have really let the community down and become one of histories biggest losers. I don't think he is such a type.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, no matter how excruciating the wait will be I would rather they take their time and get it right the first time. The future of crowd-sourcing cRPGs rides on this projects success or failure. I want this the be the rebirth NOT the burial of old-school cRPGs!

Yes, but I think they must keep up the regular (monthly) updates, and a transparent and friendly information policy.
No one wants to see this turn into another IL2:COD where the community said the same things and after 4 years realized that the game was still another 4 years out. If you don't believe me, that game was announced in 2003 with a projected release date of 2005. Now it's 2012 and the game may reach a working state in 1-2 years with the expansion+patch. But saying that. There is the excruciating wait, but there's also the end result that matters. In the end IL2COD may have an taken an incredibly 10 years of development time but eventually turn out the greatest flight sim of the coming decade. For people who only got interested in the development now it must be great.

Achilles

Arcane

That's probably true.

Doesn't the bigger amount of money simply allow them to hire more people? Sure, the scope is bigger now, but they will have more hands on deck.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think any wait should be easier since with kickstarter we should have greater community-developer interaction aka knowing what the fuck is going on without PR bullshit
This has definitely been going on so far with Double Fine's project -- they've released the first documentary episode, and some updates from team members. I hope Fargo takes a similar approach and shows lots of cool stuff during development, even if they don't have a full documentary being made.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They could go AoD style and release a playable demo to backers end of 2013, and there is also going to be a beta phase right ? That should provide a chance to show off content and progress, and after that - he can say - bro's I need 6 more months, like VD did.

Also, the wait for this will always be shorter than the total wait for Thursday and it will be a fraction of the wait for Grimoire. We will persevere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's probably true.

Doesn't the bigger amount of money simply allow them to hire more people? Sure, the scope is bigger now, but they will have more hands on deck.

Ever heard of the Mythical Man-Month?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm betting W2 will be finished late 2014. They'll have to face the butthurt and empty threats of suing from some of the backers, but I hope they'll persevere and not release a half-baked title.

I think in one of the interviews about a month ago Fargo said they're NOW preparing the design document. So there's really almost nothing done, if the engine doesn't exist yet.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
So, they're doing a full-fledged RPG for PC, a linux version, a Mac version plus mod tools, everything from scratch in 18 months? Sounds a bit too optimistic imo.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Mod tools, yes, 100%. Not sure about the Linux version...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom