Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 News: Kickstarter Update, Ranger Concept Art, and Michael Stackpole on Wasteland

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Imagine if Bethesda buys InXile. :smug:

d8Nt9.jpg

I think I'm gonna be sick.

So who else here started involuntarily hearing either Judas Priest or early 80s hair metal as soon as they saw that middle picture of the guys in leather.

No, seriously, that's what rock band 'group shots' used to look like, clothing-wise if they were trying to go for a 'tough-guy' image:). I mean, it made sense eventually with Judas Priest (who sort of started the whole faux-biker-leather-and-mesh look) when the singer came out as gay when they reformed in the 2000s, but with all the others it's just hilarious that the 80s idea of 'super-badass' is basically Mr Slave from Southpark.

Come to think of it, I'm wondering if the Gimp from Pulp Fiction (1992?) was what finally put an end to that shlock by pointing out that, well, it was just a tad camp. Multiplied by 1,000,000.

Ahh the 80s. A decade devoted entirely to the lulz - I don't think there's been a shittier decade this side of WW2 (not counting the counter-cultures - but that's consistent with it anyway, the worse the culture during any one era the better the counter-cultures are, just by pure desperate necessity).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
So who else here started involuntarily hearing either Judas Priest or early 80s hair metal as soon as they saw that middle picture of the guys in leather.

No, seriously, that's what rock band 'group shots' used to look like, clothing-wise if they were trying to go for a 'tough-guy' image:). I mean, it made sense eventually with Judas Priest (who sort of started the whole faux-biker-leather-and-mesh look) when the singer came out as gay when they reformed in the 2000s, but with all the others it's just hilarious that the 80s idea of 'super-badass' is basically Mr Slave from Southpark.

Come to think of it, I'm wondering if the Gimp from Pulp Fiction (1992?) was what finally put an end to that shlock by pointing out that, well, it was just a tad camp. Multiplied by 1,000,000.

Ahh the 80s. A decade devoted entirely to the lulz - I don't think there's been a shittier decade this side of WW2 (not counting the counter-cultures - but that's consistent with it anyway, the worse the culture during any one era the better the counter-cultures are, just by pure desperate necessity).

Such a message is never complete without some images of Kip Winger. I better post only links due to DUs new NSFW rule :)

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/buff-coat/14056804879/1/tumblr_lw0kkjZ0wD1r839th
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/287546/Kip Winger.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6218/6354480131_91210a149d_o.jpg

In their way the 80s were still a great decade. Yes, the fashion, especially for men, really sucked. But think of gaming, which never felt as exciting as in the 80s. I also think this was the greatest era of television, the TV-series like Dallas, mini series like Shogun. The live broadcast of Tennis, Soccer, Formula 1. Cinema was still great back then, producing tons of great movies like Platoon or Das Boot or Back to the Future. It was generally a great era of technology (home computers, video recorders, walkman, stereo), and it felt good to have all these things for the first time.

Stelcio

Savant

424d1116983977-manowar-kings-metal-wallpaper_photo1_1024_768.jpg

020286151593.jpg

HOE3.jpg

Übercool! :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom