Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 News: Kickstarter Update, Ranger Concept Art, and Michael Stackpole on Wasteland

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; Kickstarter; Michael A. Stackpole; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

In latest news, Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #10 has just been posted. It goes to great lengths to underscore that all funding collected is to go towards the game's development, and development only. No PR guys or marketing ladies planned. Instead, Brian Fargo wants you, old school RPG fans, to help him promote the game:

All of the money we raise through Kickstarter is being spent on making the game. Most of the cost of development is in paying for the team to create the game. There will be a team of engine programmers, game-play programmers, UI engineers, character artists, environment artists, animators, effects artists, UI Artists, sound designers, composers, writers, game designers, systems designers, level scripters, and testers. Not to mention all the interns it will take to handle the mailing out of the physical goods. It is simple math that the bigger this budget gets, the more jobs it will create. The bigger the team, the deeper and bigger the game gets. If you want a deeper and larger game, and we think that you do, you want us to raise as much money as possible to spend on the game.

Did I just hear all 43,000+ of you say ‘How can we help?’ I am glad you asked!!

One thing you will notice in that list of potential jobs above is that nowhere in that list do you see ‘Marketing Lady’ or ‘PR Guy’. That is because we don’t have these positions, nor do we plan to hire them. We want to spend the money on the game, and only the game.

This is where you come in… All 43,000+ of you are our marketing and PR team. We need your help to get the word out that the Kickstarter countdown is on.
  • Post to your Facebook pages with links back to the Kickstarter.
  • Follow @BrianFargo on twitter and retweet my Wasteland related tweets.
  • Post it to forums where you think it is relevant.
  • Send emails out to everyone you know.
  • Go to our website and put our Doomsday countdown clock on your website.
  • Get a friend or family member to buy in.
  • Shout it from the rooftop.
  • Do some early shopping for Christmas 2013!
If every person who has pledged manages to get one more person to buy in for $15, we will increase the budget by over $600,000. You can help the project in very tangible ways by helping us get the word out.​

Included in the update is also new Desert Ranger concept art by Andre Wallin:

Lastly, I am very excited to release the first official piece of Wasteland 2 concept art. We asked the very talented Andree Wallin to help us establish the look and feel of the Desert Rangers. I think this image speaks for itself…

bDQCQ.jpg

Finally, in other Wasteland-related news, Michael A. Stackpole recently put up a blog post on Wasteland and Wasteland 2:

I remember tons of phone conversations with Alan that began because Ken had called him, tried to get Alan to do something, and they just weren’t communicating well. Ken would call me to vent. I’d listen, figure out what it was he wanted to do, and mentally translate it into something a programmer could work with. Then I’d call Alan, we’d mull things over, and not only come away with something that would let Ken do what he wanted, but a whole bunch more. This is precisely why, in Wasteland, you see a door that won’t open and you don’t have the key, you can pick the lock, you can shoot it off, you can blow it up (and so much more). If I recall correctly, there were 14 different ways to open doors, and depending what you did to open a door, you’d find different things on the other side.

Wasteland’s strongest point was that actions had consequences. Radical concept, I know. Because of that, how a player approached the game would determine the result he’d get. It allowed us to provide a different gaming experience for different players. It required more than just a hack and slash mentality—sure, you could get to the end that way, but if you used skills and smarts, the path would be different, and often more rewarding.

This is what so excites me about Wasteland II. I remember all the things we wanted to do but couldn’t, simply because of the limits of machines back then. The game’s scope will be huge, and the things players can do, the strategies that will win the game, will likewise expand. Being able to add atmosphere through music and voice acting will make the game that more immersive. In the original game we could only supply a small slice of a world, but now we’ll be able to provide a vast landscape overflowing with adventure and discovery.​

Check out Michael's post in full here.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
One thing you will notice in that list of potential jobs above is that nowhere in that list do you see ‘Marketing Lady’ or ‘PR Guy’. That is because we don’t have these positions, nor do we plan to hire them. We want to spend the money on the game, and only the game.
10,000 BROFists to Mr. Fargo.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wow CB - you are fast. One moment I have Wasteland 2 Kickstarters page open and just leave home for a brief jogging, another moment on my return I notice that you already posted freshest news from the said page that weren't there before. That's quite terrifying.

About the appeal, I've already managed to convince two people to put forward $15 for kickstarters already, and since my RL friends are not quite RPG players it's quite an achievement.

bDQCQ.jpg

Something tells me the art direction is in good hands. But why the fuck is it so small? I want a wallpaper!!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well it shows at least they have someone who can paint.

I still would like a definite, precise statement how this will be a game absolutely not like the AAA+ games we got used to.

But I think in the end I'll give them my 15$ anyway.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You're welcome bro. I'm just hoping Fargo won't get mad that I uploaded that version.

I still would like a definite, precise statement how this will be a game absolutely not like the AAA+ games we got used to.

Even more definite than the statements already given? If it's not yet clear to you I don't know how it could possibly be made clear to you. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Burning Bridges

Even more definite than the statements already given? If it's not yet clear to you I don't know how it could possibly be made clear to you. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Yeah I know, I am really hard to convince. But once you have won me over, I'll stay.

Gregz

Arcane
bDQCQ.jpg

Love it, especially the bearded longhair in the foreground sporting 80s-style shades and the Texas Ranger style belt buckle and hat. :salute:

empi

Augur
Eh looks more F3/F:NV than wasteland, then again, that's probably what most of the backers want unfortunately :(
I still believe though...

Kz3r0

Arcane
In this thread people want cartoonish acid colored graphics for their hardcore RPG.
:hmmm:

Burning Bridges

I know they have no screenshots to show, but they should publish concept drawings of the UI as soon as possible.

Concept art looks nice, but it's still reminiscent of everything else we see these days.

Screenshots / images without UI are never enough to demonstrate what a game will be like. This hasn't changed a iota with kickstarter.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The art reminds me of Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex: HR. Color scheme memory?

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I was too bored to add more than one filter. :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom