Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
7 years since my last playthrough and I'm hesitating to load my old save before playing Wasteland 3. I had just arrived in California, is there much left to explore ?

California goes down quite smoothly after the confusing mess of the Canyon of Titan, and it's about the same amount of gameplay again as there was up to that point, maybe more. While the game is arguably a bit front-loaded in terms of unique and interesting locations, the density of questing is consistent right through to the end, it'll keep you occupied alright.

I think I've said elsewhere that while WL3 might be a better and more polished game in some respects, I feel that WL2 is more of an RPG proper, more immersive - it keeps your head in the virtual world better. WL3 is just a bit too slick and streamlined I feel, and gameplay feels more detached, like you're merely playing a (good) game, as opposed to having a (slightly raw and janky) adventure.

Sykar

Arcane
Today I thought I would like to do another playthrough, or at least just Arizona, but since I upgraded to Win 10 the game refuses to work even though it worked very well under Win 8.1. Basically what happens is that the game starts, I can hear the sound of intro and stuff and even that radio noise stuff from the main menu, but I remain on the desktop regardless of what I try. I have tried all combabilities, verified the installation files on Steam and done a fresh install, including deleting the game files yet apart from the sound the game refuses to run. DuckDuckGo search has not brought up anything helpful either so far.
Anyone got an idea?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Today I thought I would like to do another playthrough, or at least just Arizona, but since I upgraded to Win 10 the game refuses to work even though it worked very well under Win 8.1. Basically what happens is that the game starts, I can hear the sound of intro and stuff and even that radio noise stuff from the main menu, but I remain on the desktop regardless of what I try. I have tried all combabilities, verified the installation files on Steam and done a fresh install, including deleting the game files yet apart from the sound the game refuses to run. DuckDuckGo search has not brought up anything helpful either so far.
Anyone got an idea?
Last year I played it on W10, without any issues. GOG version, installed on this very system (I mean it did not update to W10 with Wasteland 2 sitting on the hdd). Honestly weird.

Perkel

Arcane
Anyone got an idea?

What we lack is your gpu. By chance you use some ancient hardware ?

If problem isn't common usually it means its some user related problem.

Sykar

Arcane
My CPU is an old i5-3570k 3.4 GHz. Not sure why that is relevant, game ran perfectly under Win 8.1. Forcing DirectX12 via command line did get me to the loading screen at least, but now menu stays black. Not sure why my system suddenly has a problem, especially since all my other games work just fine, plenty of which are far older than WL2DC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone got an idea?
Try all these https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wasteland_2#Issues_fixed

Sykar

Arcane
Anyone got an idea?
Thanks, nothing worked though. Still just black screen with the WLDC cursor once I am past the loading screen which funny enough is shown. I really do not understand why WL2DC is refusing to work when much older games like Titan Quest are working.
One thing I noticed with the screen selector command file, I do not get to choose a monitor, that field is just flat out blank but maybe that is normal. Or maybe I should get the GoG version and install that one, maybe GoG works. Don't really care much about Steam anyway.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone got an idea?
Thanks, nothing worked though. Still just black screen with the WLDC cursor once I am past the loading screen which funny enough is shown. I really do not understand why WL2DC is refusing to work when much older games like Titan Quest are working.
One thing I noticed with the screen selector command file, I do not get to choose a monitor, that field is just flat out blank but maybe that is normal. Or maybe I should get the GoG version and install that one, maybe GoG works. Don't really care much about Steam anyway.
Maybe it's not the issue of W10 but rather your graphics card and its drivers vis a vis a new OS? Perhaps you need to manually update drivers. Who knows.

I suppose full reinstallation of the system and then the game is too much of a hassle, so maybe try tinkering with the drivers first before buying GOG version which may produce similar results.

ferratilis

Magister
Anyone got an idea?
Have you tried verifying the game files? You'd be surprised how many issues are solved this way.

Sykar

Arcane
The output_log file is rather puzzling to me:

Initialize engine version: 5.2.2p2 (67d68477bb52)
Forcing GfxDevice: Direct3D 9
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 9.0c [nvldumdx.dll 31.0.15.2737]
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Vendor: NVIDIA
VRAM: 8081 MB (via DXGI)
Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\DecalSystem.Runtime.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\DecalSystem.Runtime.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Hayate.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Hayate.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\SteamworksManaged.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\SteamworksManaged.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Newtonsoft.Json.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Newtonsoft.Json.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in 0.182 seconds
desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

<RI> Initialized touch support.

Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Starting Launcher Load at 1.417969

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 2350 -> priority: 1
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Scrolling (Standard)' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no fragment shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Scrolling (Standard)' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Scrolling (Standard)' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Scrolling (Standard)' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/NFAA' - Pass '' has no fragment shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/NFAA' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/CameraMotionBlurDX11' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/CameraMotionBlurDX11' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Dof/DX11Dof' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Dof/DX11Dof' - Setting to default shader.
SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 11: Assignment: 'version' = '1'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 34: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'English'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 35: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'en'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 36: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'English'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 37: Assignment: 'noSubtitles' = 'true'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 40: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'English (Subtitled)'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 41: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'en'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 42: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'English (Subtitled)'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 43: Assignment: 'noSubtitles' = 'false'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 48: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Français'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 49: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'fr'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 50: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'French'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 51: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = '°,î,â,ê,Î,Â,Ê,é,É,è,à,ù,È,À,Ù,ë,Ë,ç,Ç,œ,«,»'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 54: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Italiano'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 55: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'it'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 56: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Italian'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 57: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = '°,é,ç,à,è,ì,ò,ù,À,È,Ì,Ò,Ù'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 60: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Deutsch'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 61: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'de'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 62: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'German'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 63: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = 'ä,Ä,ö,Ö,ü,Ü,ß'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 66: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Español Americano'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 67: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'sp'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 68: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Spanish'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 69: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = 'ñ,Ñ,ü,Ü,á,é,í,ó,ú,Á,É,Í,Ó,Ú,º,¿,¡'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 72: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Español Castellano'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 73: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'es'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 74: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Castilian'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 75: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = 'ñ,Ñ,ü,Ü,á,é,í,ó,ú,Á,É,Í,Ó,Ú,º,¿,¡'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 80: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Polski'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 81: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'pl'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 82: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Polish'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 83: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = 'Ą,Ć,Ę,Ł,Ń,Ó,Ś,Ź,Ż,,ą,ć,ę,ł,ń,ó,ś,ź,ż'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 88: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Русский язык'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 89: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'ru'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 90: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Russian'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 91: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = 'А,а,Б,б,В,в,Г,г,Д,д,Е,е,Ё,ё,Ж,ж,З,з,И,и,Й,й,К,к,Л,л,'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 97: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Türkçe'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 98: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'tr'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 99: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Turkish'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 100: Assignment: 'nonASCIIChars' = 'Ç,Ğ,İ,Ö,Ş,,Ü,ç,ğ,ı,ö,ş,ü'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 101: Assignment: 'disabled' = 'false'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 111: Assignment: 'twoLetterCode' = 'RV'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 112: Assignment: 'englishName' = 'Reversi'

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 113: Assignment: 'nativeName' = 'Reverse English'

Steam Achievements Enabled

Wasteland2 version is 97264

Init Game...17.33049

Game Loaded 18.12157

SaveLoad Loaded

Starting Main Menu Load

Unloading 17 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 19.380201 ms

Unloading 329 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 40253.
Total: 30.976999 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.481200 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.549500 ms MarkObjects: 24.706301 ms DeleteObjects: 0.238000 ms)

Starting inxile Movie

Finished movies, launching main menu

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 3.513700 ms

Unloading 411 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 42885.
Total: 33.987801 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.582100 ms CreateObjectMapping: 3.853100 ms MarkObjects: 28.354601 ms DeleteObjects: 0.197300 ms)

Sykar

Arcane
Finally some1 on the Steam forums pointed me to the solution. From another deeply buried Steam post I found this:

"This post is just to document how I fixed this (Maybe it is of some use to someone):

After some more experimenting, I discovered that Dark Souls 3 didn't work properly either. It opened in a 800x450 windowless box in the top left corner of the desktop. Given that this had nothing to do with Unity, I was a bit perplexed. When I went to the options to change the resolution (within Dark Souls), I couldn't go windowed and the only resolution was 800x450.
I went into GeForce Experience and from there I was able to launch DS3 windowed. In windowed mode, it had all kinds of resolutions it could switch to. As soon as you switched to full screen, only the 800x450 would be available.
I went into Nvidia Control Panel. This is where I changed "Aspect ratio" to "No scaling" on the Adjust desktop size and position page (with "perform scaling on Display"). Suddenly everything was okay again. In DS3 I had options for resolutions. If I started up a Unity game with shift, the Select Monitor was no longer empty, but said "Display 1".
I tried switching back to "Aspect ratio" to see if this would break things again. It did for some games (e.g. Hearthstone), but others kept working. I also tried "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" and that seem to work as well.

Now I have no idea why this works, but it did (for me)."

Amazingly this works, I finally can see the start menu and get into character creation again. How in the name of fuck is this not posted anywhere in the official help threads on technical forums? I mean how do you even get to the idea that you have to turn on that specific option in the Nvidia Control Panel?!

:rpgcodex:

Old Hans

Arcane
I mean how do you even get to the idea that you have to turn on that specific option in the Nvidia Control Panel
pc gamers are basically medieval alchemists when it comes to finding solutions. They will click on every button, edit random files, reinstall windows, edit all the hexes, until someone eventually accidently finds the correct solution.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With the main difference I would have been rich with gold, but now I might be able to play a game without crashing.

ferratilis

Magister
Someone made a QoL and performance patch with some interesting changes. Although I don't know how stable it is. If anyone has any experience with this, please share.
https://www.nexusmods.com/wasteland2/mods/93
NOTABLE CHANGES
  • additional tooltips and more informative tooltips, including a breakdown of bonuses; some (such as Attribute/Skill) did not display all their effects
  • improved loading times
  • extra settings for camera zoom and behavior during combat; found in Options -> Gameplay
  • can disable intro logo playback; 'Play InXile Intro' setting in Options -> Gameplay
  • game can continue to run while minimized instead of always pausing; 'Run in Background' setting in Options -> Gameplay
  • expanded portrait selection during character creation
  • can return to shrines and skill statues with new companions so they can receive the bonus; 'Allow revisting shrines' setting in Options -> Gameplay
  • far more moddable; base game only had rudimentary support

• improved positioning of overhead health bars; status effect indicators added; non-hostile NPCs now have blue health bars
  • Glancing Strike line of perks show ambush overhead icon when active and will attack enemies passing near the PC rather than only if they started their turn adjacent to the PC
  • 'Ruined Weapon' effect from arm precision strikes now also destroys melee weapons
  • Father Enola and Malediction Mayweather never dropped their unique weapons; the sniper rifle Dragoon had a one-time 10% drop chance
  • restored door puzzle in Highpool underground that was in the non-DC version of the game

• weapon field stripping drop chances now match the values displayed in the popup; in the base game, actual mod drop chances were half the listed values
  • physics update rate fixed; NPC death explosions no longer slow and stuttery
  • adjacent NPCs were giving each other under pressure penalties while a Ranger next to them would do nothing
  • Glancing Strike line of perks for blunt weapons was not working with many blunt weapons
  • rabbit leap animation would often bug out, preventing the attack from completing
  • if the target of an ambush was moving, they would sometimes immediately teleport to their destination after the attack finished
  • Ranger Citadel and Prison maps were missing level music
  • a double hyphen in the dialogue text would cause a hiccup in conversations
  • Mysophobic quirk was preventing the use of most items on the character, instead of just healing items as intended
  • never informing Mr. Manners of the plot against him would break the kill Tori quest
  • accepting Sadler's quest meant Gary "NaCl" Wolfe could never be recruited

This game is not terrible, the combat can be fun, and the setting is cool, but man, inXile really fucked up on quest design, it's just such a clusterfuck in many cases.

In rail nomad camp, I totally fucked up the main quest because you need to talk to NPCs in a certain order, or disarm some specific bicycle bomb in some tiny corner of the map or something. Otherwise, slaughter.

When you get to Demonta, everyone talks about Airplane Graveyard, and how you need to go there to do some quests and it's north of Demonta, but it's so fucking unclear because Demonta looks like an airplane graveyard itself, so do they mean north of the town map? Or another map north of it? And turns out it's the fucking Silo 7 map WAAAY to the north of it. Could this shit be any more convoluted?

Diamonback Militia - Monks of Mushroom Cloud clusterfuck: DBM fuckers attack you on sight if you have a monk in the group (which you HAVE to at the start), but if you defend yourself, they get pissed later and act like you murdered their cocksuckers. Then, apparently DBM has been behind all these slaughters on that map, but it's communicated in such a vague way, I didn't really make the connection until later, and if you go to their base, they strip you of your weapons, and then you gotta find a way into the Temple for their mission, without any weapons, and apparently there are a bunch of underground doors to it from various buildings, but most of them have enemies and you've lost your weapons...

This stuff can be overcome, by settling for less than ideal consequences or looking up online guides or whatever, but you just feel like you are wrestling with a turd. I got a bunch of negative consequences in far better games like Shadowrun: Dragonfall or Witcher 3, but there, it kinda made sense, sometimes the way you think things will turn out is not how they actually turn out. Here, it just feels like very bad design.

jackofshadows

Magister
Who cares about the best, much less "best" outcome. It's an RPG, just go with the flow. Sudden slaughter? Fine by me, honestly.

Another thing that's really annoying is the fetish with robots. How many robots were there in Fallout 1/2?

In W2, holy shit, fucking herds of them. They are not fun to fight aesthetically, they are hitpoint sponges, drop absolutely nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom