Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't think that type of post apocalyptic genre is relevant anymore.
Whatever else is going on with this, I mean the genre is the same, but I am excited about the shift in setting to a freezing cold environment. Even if it's more of the same and about parkas instead of rad suits, I'm glad they managed to put a new artistic slant on it at least. I have to admit the concept art piques my interest.

imweasel

Is this going to be a goddamned Chosen One game?
Chosen One or Chosen Ones. Who gives a shit.

Roleplaying a single character instead of an entire team is probably a good idea from a narrative point of view. I enjoyed the companions/recruits in Wasteland 2 quite a bit more than the mute teammates. I'd recruit Scotchmo again any day. :shittydog:

Mustawd

I've always thought that a major reason for Kickstarter's takeoff in 2012 is that people were pissed off about Bioware and looking for alternatives.

Sure, but there's a limit to what genres can take. Look at the post apocalyptic genre for example. It's spawned a variety of different things, which I personally think came from out of the sentiments of the 2008 financial crisis, ensuing meltdown, and overall recession:

-Zombie shows, movies and games
-Survival games
-Post apocalyptic games (outside of W2, there are a ton of non-RPG and quite a few RPG related ones). To name a few:

Wasteland 2
Dead State
NEO Scavenger
Project Zomboid
Krai Mira
ICY
The Walking Dead games (popularity coming form the show)
Left 4 Dead
Tons and tons of Survival Games
Age of Decadence
The Last of Us

It's been said before again and again that the Zombie genre has been kind of overdone lately. Same thing can be said about the "typical" post apocalyptical world. So to me W3 just looks like, "Oh that's nice. I'll put on my wishlist to buy later during the Summer Sale"

I dunno. It just seems hard to get excited about it anymore when so many games are exploring the same world/atmosphere.

People will still buy W3, but I will find it hard to believe that it will be as successful as W2. Barring something that changes drastically, of course.

Mustawd

Medieval fantasy is evergreen, then?

I'd say it's probably the most resilient due to the popularity of Tolkien. Yes. But I think even that type of high fantasy is getting a bit tiresome.

EDIT: Plus, I'm referring to when genres present the same world and same angles of that world. Over and over again.

It's not post apocalyptic genre itself. It's the fact that I've already seen zombies being killed by people wearing body armor with baseball bats plenty of times already. I've already seen cities with overgrown vegetation what seems like a million times already (movies, shows, games, etc). Are you telling me the only change we can make is to go from Summer to Winter? That's pretty weak.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Pretty pictures. Hate any form of multiplayer. Can't wait to see what gets chopped out of the actual game so that a handful of people can play with their so-called friends.

But still... pretty pictures!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whatever else is going on with this, I mean the genre is the same, but I am excited about the shift in setting to a freezing cold environment. Even if it's more of the same and about parkas instead of rad suits, I'm glad they managed to put a new artistic slant on it at least. I have to admit the concept art piques my interest.

Turn-based Metro 2033. :M

imweasel

Chosen One or Chosen Ones. Who gives a shit.
Wow. The willful ignorance here is saddening. The foundational structure of any RPG hugely informs how it plays. Turn in your monocle.
So I guess what you're really trying to say is that Mr. Brian Fargo is ignorant, because he is the person responsible for this change. :shittydog:

Anyway, if you don't like companions and would like to create your own team (perfectly understandable) then ask Inxile to give us the ability to make our own teammates (sort of like in PoE). Problem solved. Fargo probably even already thought about this anyway.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, if you don't like companions and would like to create your own team (perfectly understandable) then ask Inxile to give us the ability to make our own teammates (sort of like in PoE). Problem solved. Fargo probably even already thought about this anyway.
Yeah. I am fine with the "4+3" structure of Wasteland 1&2, and allowing "1+6" (Chosen One plus companions), or even "0+7" (a whole party of 'companions'). I did like the way POE did it, and that would be very appropriate here. Once you build your new Ranger base you can create new PCs all you want. I will certainly be campaigning for something like this if I don't like what I hear when the details come out.

Who knows what they're planning right now though. Maybe to keep multiplayer simple they'll force each player to have a maximum of 2 characters including a companion, even in single-player. Technically that'd still be "party-based" by some lights.

Last edited:

acer palmatum

Scholar
Btw, didn't Fargo said that he wanted to build trust with some reknown brands and then going full crazy with new, fresh IPs?
I mean, I know he's not to be trusted, but shit, four games and they're all sequels.

Well Fargo certainly lacks a lot of trust on this board.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Haha no it isn't, have you forgotten our arguments about what "party-based" means? Ask him if there's full party creation.
Honestly I assume he knew what was meant because there was a major debate about it on the official board during Wasteland 2 times, and the difference between "Chosen One + companions" vs. "true party-based" was well established at that time.

You may be right, but ... I can't ask right now. I'm too scared.
Have you asked if there is a fully voice acted PC?:M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Chosen one + party + vehicles

He wants to combine fallout 2 and fallout tactics now? :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unity confirmed, sorry Codex: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.c...-Is-Coming-Its-Going-Rocky-Mountain-High.html

Hot on the heels of Wasteland 2 and its Director’a Cut, Brian Fargo and InXile Entertainment are happy to announce that Wasteland 3 is coming, and this time we are leaving the desert for the snow covered peaks of Colorado. We stole a few moments of Brian’s time to talk about the announcement, the game, and what to expect.

MMORPG: This is exciting news! Aside from the general reception of WL2, what made you want to go ahead with a sequel so fast?

BRIAN FARGO: I guess anything seems fast in comparison the time between Wasteland 1 and 2. It's been several years since Wasteland 2 came out, and we've been chomping at the bit to push forward in the RPG genre. There are so many wonderful opportunities to dial in the bleakness of a Wasteland world. With Wasteland 3, this time we head to Colorado, and we had so many new ideas for the game based on that that we just couldn't wait to get started on the next installment in this ice cold post-apocalyptic setting. Of course, we are in the final stages of wrapping up Torment, with our writing staff finalizing their work and moving to Wasteland 3’s pre-production. The Bard’s Tale IV is deep in production and that will not be affected by this, but with two studios working on games, we need to start looking to the future as well.

MMORPG: Will the sequel be using the Pillars engine like Torment, or will it be using the WL2 engine?

BF: We'll be using a modified and updated version of the Wasteland 2 engine, which will provide a significant visual upgrade from Wasteland 2. Unity has come a long way since we first started using it and we've just gotten better at using it. Additionally, we’re utilizing the Pillars of Eternity conversation editor again, which is the same we used in Torment, which allows our writers to quickly mock-up and step through branching conversations. We're building on years of experience with the technology so that also helps let us do more. I think people will quite impressed when they see the video.

Wasteland%20III%20Garden%20Of%20The%20Gods_t.jpg

MMORPG: What drove the decision to put in multiplayer? It's something we've seen cropping up with others games in the CRPG genre lately.

BF: Multiplayer gives us a lot of really unique opportunities for telling a reactive story. When people think multiplayer they typically think deathmatch, competition or MMO style gameplay, but in reality many RPGs have done story-driven multiplayer before, Baldur's Gate being a great example of that, along with Divinity: Original Sin, and fans have even modded it into other RPGs such as Fallout 2. In many ways it's something that RPGs have done before but has never been brought to its full potential. That said, we’re still focused on the single-player experience, the multiplayer builds upon it but does not replace the experience, so if you want to play it much like you did Wasteland 2, you absolutely can.

MMORPG: Why the northern setting this time? What sort of story will you be telling this go round?

BF: The ice and snow of Colorado is a drastic setting change, but it's one we think provides a whole new opportunity for the game. We wanted to do something a bit different this time and there are many, many more stories that can be told in the Wasteland that aren't just in the desert. One thing I am drawn to is the sense of isolation and solitude you get out in an endless snowfield, and it's very evocative of all those contemplative emotions that the end of the world brings out. Even today we have people who are convinced the end is coming any day, and those survivalists and doomsday preppers being right certainly make for some interesting characters.

MMORPG: What sorts of lessons have you learned from WL2 and the Director's Cut to apply to WL3?

BF: Wasteland 2 was well received, but we knew we can do better. One thing we're looking to do better is to dial up the reactivity even more and have more wide-scale decisions. We had a fair number of those in Wasteland 2 but the fans wanted even more of those life-or-death world-changing choices, and so we want to make sure we capture that. This’ll be supported by a more reactive central hub, and tied to it the Ranger Base that will be part of your story and narrative decision, though not a base you’ll be micro-managing throughout the game. On the more mechanical side we're making combat more tactical, faster and adding more depth. Vehicles are part of that, as are combat skills your Ranger team will have to manipulate the battlefield.

Wasteland%20III%20Random%20Encounter%202_t.jpg

MMORPG: Will modding and level building be possible in this installment?

BF: We have no current plans for mod tools, as we want to deliver a very solid core experience. That said we always know enterprising fans will create mods, and it's certainly not something we're totally ruling out down the line.

MMORPG: When can we expect to see WL3 playable?

BF: It will be some time before you are able to play it but our re-use of the code base will help us get up and running into prototyping faster. First we turn loose the writers to create thousands of pages of detailed story and world design, while simultaneously continuing to work on the assets we know will be in the game. There was a fair amount of trial and error working the kinks out of the system with Wasteland 2 whereas this time we are building upon what works.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So a priori chosen one, (close-up) dialog choices, multiplayer and cinematics, the only remaining feature from what kept Wasteland 2 on track seems to be turn-based combat (not even sure for car fights), not really engaging.
I liked Wasteland 2 and I still have high hopes for BT4 against odds, but not really for this one. Well wait and see.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A priori chosen one is not necessarily true. Ive read in two seperate interviews that there will be full squad creation

*Citation next page

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are right about the need of citation:

-In the Polygon Interview:
Wasteland 3 will be true to the series' roots, allowing players to create a small party of characters and lead them through an isometric role-playing game in the classic style. It will tell the story of Team November, a group of Rangers sent on a mission to Colorado in the aftermath of a global nuclear apocalypse. In the opening sequence of the game, Fargo says, players will be stranded far from civilization and have to fend for themselves. Their biggest challenge early on will be staying alive in the sub-zero temperatures.

I believe that when they said "the player starts stranded" somewhere else they were meaning the actual player who controls a team of ingame characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom