Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasteland Wasteland 3 - Brian Fargo does Colorado - now in BETA - coming August 28th

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Zorba the Hutt, Sep 28, 2016.

1. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I am soooooo going to join The Gippers faction!!!! It's my patriotic duty to rid the world of those nasty COMMIES and... :liberals:

:salute:

• Salute Salute x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    And therefore there is only one true version of Wasteland 1:
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Everything sucks ...

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Purge the dirty and unclean commies with lasors of freedom of God Emperor Reagan!!!!:lol:

I heard they were to introduce this faction on Wasteland 2, I thought their premise was retarded but actually, it seems amusing, dunno about the rest of the game, the Patriarch's children look like shiet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sweeper Savant Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    Good worldbuilding is icing on the cake.
    Is the combat and character building improved? Cause that's the fucking meat of any game.
    Wasteland 2 was alright, but not great in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I mean the factions in WL2 were similarity on the nose and it worked well so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    No it didn't, that's one of the retarded things about WL2, a bit of silliness is fine but when every single faction is led by psychos, it really gets old.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Updated my journal!
    Updated my journal!

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AArmanFV Savant

AArmanFV
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    The Apple an C64 versions have better title screens.

^ Top  
  10. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    But of course this was not at all the case in WL2. Several factions were very "normal". The fact that you don't remember them doesn't mean they weren't there; it just means they were less memorable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Brian Fargo on IGN:

(Wasteland 3 part starts at 2:18)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    So, let's assume you lived in a flat for five years and had nice neighbors you hardly knew, maybe had a drink or two with them, then, you move elsewhere and your neighbor is a psycho, one night, he dresses like a clown wait for you in the dark and try to hack you into pieces with an axe.

Fortunately, you run faster than him.

Which one would you remember forever ?

Which one would you rather have as a neighbor ?

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Psycho. Seems like a nice man willing to help with a workout. Although I disprove of his clown attire. Hate clowns.

^ Top  
  15. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You know you're agreeing with me, right?

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    11:00 Look at the pre-made characters looks ...

Besides that, it looks good, i skipped through the video, they don't talk about the itemization, do they ?

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I don't think inXile have ever talked about Wasteland 3's itemization.

Retcon Raider Any comments?

^ Top  
  19. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Every single faction led by psychos is a good definition of the Internet and you seem to enjoy it here.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Retcon Raider Literate

Retcon Raider
    In regards to what? Cosmetic customizations?

^ Top  
  21. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    As you're quite perceptive, you might have noticed i'm not hanging with the retards psychos GD crowd...
    I believe i'm consistent in that regard.

The only issue about Wasteland 2 itemization was its tier itemization where each tier is twice as powerful as the previous one.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. calgary.alberta Scholar

calgary.alberta
    Problem I have with inXile Entertainment, is they always do a directors cut or some shit later on. It's annoying to play a game on release to see a massively revamp version months after you beat, instead of just normal amount of patches.

Bards Tale 4, director cut, was an example of shit getting worst as the original game (still not great) was better, than whatever they did to the game for the DC version.

Wasteland 3 even if it's playable won't be the same game it is in August in a year or two.

Stupid business model

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Itemization means the general quality of design of the game's items (weapons, armor, trinkets, everything). Variety, progression, usefulness, coolness. Think of Baldur's Gate 2 as one of the ultimate itemization games.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Retcon Raider Literate

Retcon Raider
    Oh, yes, that's certainly a valid concern.

Based on what I saw in the beta, weapon progression does appear to be fairly linear. Damage, crit chance, and penetration tend to increase from one tier to the next, as you would expect, but I don't think it's anywhere near as dramatic as it was in WL2.

Take the first few Bladed Weapons, for example:
    Hunting Knife (Melee 0): 10-14 Damage; THC 85%; Crit 6%, x2.1; Pen 2; $45.
    Gut-Ripper (Melee 2): 11-15 Damage; THX 85%; Crit 12%, x2.1; Pen 3; $55
    Ice Axe (Melee 3): 13-17 Damage; THC 85%; Crit 12%, x2.1; Pen 5; $75.

There's an obvious trend there - stats either remain the same or get slightly better with each new tier. Improvements are generally pretty reasonable, with damage boosting in increments of roughly 10 to 15% at a time. Penetration does seem to progress rather quickly, but that's likely to compensate for how quickly armor can also be stacked with the new 3-slot armor system.

There are also other potentially mitigating factors. For one thing, there seem to be a lot more unique weapons with special procs or passive bonuses that might actually provide benefits that are more appealing than simply upgrading to the next tier. The "Fireman Axe," for example, is a Melee 3 weapon that also has a 25% chance to apply Burning per hit. The "Glass Knucks" are a Brawling 1 weapon that also grant a massive +0.5 Combat Speed bonus and a 20% chance to apply Diseased per hit.

In both cases, those weapons are slightly superior to the equivalent non-unique weapon from the same tier, but are statistically inferior to the non-unique weapon from the next tier. The player has to decide if they would prefer basic increases to damage and penetration, versus a slightly under-performing weapon that also grants potentially useful passive bonuses.

Another potentially mitigating factor is ammo management. I'll admit, even in the Beta I sometimes found myself hesitating to upgrade to the next tier for a firearm due to ammo cost and scarcity. This is a particular concern when it comes to weapons with a high rate of ammo consumption, or weapons that upgrade to a more expensive type of ammunition as you reach higher tiers.

For example, a Tier 2 SMG uses 9mm ammunition and fires in 4-round bursts. That means you're essentially "spending" $8 worth of ammunition every time you pull the trigger. In comparison, the Tier 3 SMG uses .45 cal ammunition and fires in 5-round bursts. Sure, you're enjoying a higher rate of fire and a roughly 20% damage increase, but you're now spending $15 worth of ammunition with each pull of the trigger.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    This looks so much better than the ridiculous "doubling every time" of W2. :incline:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.