Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Because it starts with an exceptionally brutal, "serious" scenario. But some people seem to prefer to ignore the game they can actually play and instead cherry pick moments from trailers so they can keep repeating "Wasteland 3 is neon cringe wacky killer clowns, it's gonna suuuuuuck!". I just don't see it.

Everything sucks ...

DeepOcean

Arcane
I am soooooo going to join The Gippers faction!!!! It's my patriotic duty to rid the world of those nasty COMMIES and... :liberals:

:salute:
Purge the dirty and unclean commies with lasors of freedom of God Emperor Reagan!!!!:lol:

I heard they were to introduce this faction on Wasteland 2, I thought their premise was retarded but actually, it seems amusing, dunno about the rest of the game, the Patriarch's children look like shiet.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Good worldbuilding is icing on the cake.
Is the combat and character building improved? Cause that's the fucking meat of any game.
Wasteland 2 was alright, but not great in that regard.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I am soooooo going to join The Gippers faction!!!! It's my patriotic duty to rid the world of those nasty COMMIES and... :liberals:

:salute:
Purge the dirty and unclean commies with lasors of freedom of God Emperor Reagan!!!!:lol:

I heard they were to introduce this faction on Wasteland 2, I thought their premise was retarded but actually, it seems amusing, dunno about the rest of the game, the Patriarch's children look like shiet.

I mean the factions in WL2 were similarity on the nose and it worked well so.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And therefore there is only one true version of Wasteland 1:
maxresdefault.jpg

Updated my journal!
Updated my journal!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No it didn't, that's one of the retarded things about WL2, a bit of silliness is fine but when every single faction is led by psychos, it really gets old.
But of course this was not at all the case in WL2. Several factions were very "normal". The fact that you don't remember them doesn't mean they weren't there; it just means they were less memorable.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo on IGN:

We sit down with RPG Legend Brian Fargo about 'kind of' founding Blizzard, and why RPG fans should be looking forward to Wasteland 3.

(Wasteland 3 part starts at 2:18)

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
But of course this was not at all the case in WL2. Several factions were very "normal". The fact that you don't remember them doesn't mean they weren't there; it just means they were less memorable.

So, let's assume you lived in a flat for five years and had nice neighbors you hardly knew, maybe had a drink or two with them, then, you move elsewhere and your neighbor is a psycho, one night, he dresses like a clown wait for you in the dark and try to hack you into pieces with an axe.

Fortunately, you run faster than him.

Which one would you remember forever ?

Which one would you rather have as a neighbor ?

So, let's assume you lived in a flat for five years and had nice neighbors you hardly knew, maybe had a drink or two with them, then, you move elsewhere and your neighbor is a psycho, one night, he dresses like a clown wait for you in the dark and try to hack you into pieces with an axe.

Fortunately, you run faster than him.

Which one would you remember forever ?

Which one would you rather have as a neighbor ?

Psycho. Seems like a nice man willing to help with a workout. Although I disprove of his clown attire. Hate clowns.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
11:00 Look at the pre-made characters looks ...

Besides that, it looks good, i skipped through the video, they don't talk about the itemization, do they ?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I mean the factions in WL2 were similarity on the nose and it worked well so.

No it didn't, that's one of the retarded things about WL2, a bit of silliness is fine but when every single faction is led by psychos, it really gets old.

Every single faction led by psychos is a good definition of the Internet and you seem to enjoy it here.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Every single faction led by psychos is a good definition of the Internet and you seem to enjoy it here.

As you're quite perceptive, you might have noticed i'm not hanging with the retards psychos GD crowd...
I believe i'm consistent in that regard.

In regards to what? Cosmetic customizations?

The only issue about Wasteland 2 itemization was its tier itemization where each tier is twice as powerful as the previous one.

Problem I have with inXile Entertainment, is they always do a directors cut or some shit later on. It's annoying to play a game on release to see a massively revamp version months after you beat, instead of just normal amount of patches.

Bards Tale 4, director cut, was an example of shit getting worst as the original game (still not great) was better, than whatever they did to the game for the DC version.

Wasteland 3 even if it's playable won't be the same game it is in August in a year or two.

Stupid business model

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think inXile have ever talked about Wasteland 3's itemization.

Retcon Raider Any comments?

In regards to what? Cosmetic customizations?

Itemization means the general quality of design of the game's items (weapons, armor, trinkets, everything). Variety, progression, usefulness, coolness. Think of Baldur's Gate 2 as one of the ultimate itemization games.

Last edited:

Retcon Raider

Literate
The only issue about Wasteland 2 itemization was its tier itemization where each tier is twice as powerful as the previous one.

Oh, yes, that's certainly a valid concern.

Based on what I saw in the beta, weapon progression does appear to be fairly linear. Damage, crit chance, and penetration tend to increase from one tier to the next, as you would expect, but I don't think it's anywhere near as dramatic as it was in WL2.

Take the first few Bladed Weapons, for example:
Hunting Knife (Melee 0): 10-14 Damage; THC 85%; Crit 6%, x2.1; Pen 2; $45.
Gut-Ripper (Melee 2): 11-15 Damage; THX 85%; Crit 12%, x2.1; Pen 3; $55
Ice Axe (Melee 3): 13-17 Damage; THC 85%; Crit 12%, x2.1; Pen 5; $75.

There's an obvious trend there - stats either remain the same or get slightly better with each new tier. Improvements are generally pretty reasonable, with damage boosting in increments of roughly 10 to 15% at a time. Penetration does seem to progress rather quickly, but that's likely to compensate for how quickly armor can also be stacked with the new 3-slot armor system.

There are also other potentially mitigating factors. For one thing, there seem to be a lot more unique weapons with special procs or passive bonuses that might actually provide benefits that are more appealing than simply upgrading to the next tier. The "Fireman Axe," for example, is a Melee 3 weapon that also has a 25% chance to apply Burning per hit. The "Glass Knucks" are a Brawling 1 weapon that also grant a massive +0.5 Combat Speed bonus and a 20% chance to apply Diseased per hit.

In both cases, those weapons are slightly superior to the equivalent non-unique weapon from the same tier, but are statistically inferior to the non-unique weapon from the next tier. The player has to decide if they would prefer basic increases to damage and penetration, versus a slightly under-performing weapon that also grants potentially useful passive bonuses.

Another potentially mitigating factor is ammo management. I'll admit, even in the Beta I sometimes found myself hesitating to upgrade to the next tier for a firearm due to ammo cost and scarcity. This is a particular concern when it comes to weapons with a high rate of ammo consumption, or weapons that upgrade to a more expensive type of ammunition as you reach higher tiers.

For example, a Tier 2 SMG uses 9mm ammunition and fires in 4-round bursts. That means you're essentially "spending" $8 worth of ammunition every time you pull the trigger. In comparison, the Tier 3 SMG uses .45 cal ammunition and fires in 5-round bursts. Sure, you're enjoying a higher rate of fire and a roughly 20% damage increase, but you're now spending $15 worth of ammunition with each pull of the trigger.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Based on what I saw in the beta, weapon progression does appear to be fairly linear. Damage, crit chance, and penetration tend to increase from one tier to the next, as you would expect, but I don't think it's anywhere near as dramatic as it was in WL2.
This looks so much better than the ridiculous "doubling every time" of W2. :incline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh hey, from yesterday: https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/06/19/everything-you-need-to-know-about-wasteland-3s-co-op

Everything You Need To Know About Wasteland 3's Co-op

Multiplayer isn’t something inXile traditionally includes in its games – for that matter, multiplayer isn’t something that many classic CRPGs have offered. However, in Wasteland 3, players can explore Colorado’s post-apocalyptic wastes with a friend at their side. This is an entirely new way for Wasteland fans to experience the game, and inXile is excited for players to work together as they overcome new survival challenges. Here is everything you need to know about Wasteland 3's multiplayer mode.

Is multiplayer a separate mode, or can you play the full game with two players?

It’s the full game. “We don't restrict the game," says game director Tim Campbell. "We don't put on training wheels or say, ‘Here's a separate campaign that you do multiplayer.’ It's the entire single-player game.”

How many players does Wasteland 3 support?

Wasteland 3 supports 2-player co-op, so you’ll be able to play through the game with one other person.

How can you split up your party of rangers?

In single-player, you control a party of up to six rangers. In multiplayer, you and your friend still manage a party of up to six, but you can divide control of those heroes however you like. For example, you could divide your heroes evenly, or have one player control a smaller group if that’s their thing.

“As long as you're within the same level, you can separate and do different things,” Campbell says. “One person can get into a fight while the other person is shopping at a merchant. It's a nice, convenient way to play. We've put a lot of work into that basic concept of making it fun for two people to control these parties. We have turned-based combat, so as soon as one person is in combat, the other player has to be able to merge into that combat when they get near. It sounds like a simple concept, but there's a lot of details that have to be worked out.”

Do both players need to own the game to play together?

Yes. … Well, what else do you want to know?

What about crossplay? Can you play Wasteland 3 with other players on different systems?

Unfortunately, no. Wasteland 3 doesn’t support crossplay between platforms. However, players who buy the game through different stores on PC will be able to play together. For example, if you own the game through Steam and your friend buys a copy through GOG, you’ll still be able to play together as long as you both own the game on PC.

How will players manage their inventory in multiplayer?

“We've tried different ways of managing inventory in multiplayer, scrapped them, and re-implemented it a couple of different ways,” Campbell says. “We've gone from individual character-based inventories to player-based inventories. I think what we have now is really convenient for players. It's a shared inventory. As both players are looting and getting items, that stuff goes into the same inventory. It would be as if you're playing in single-player, but it's two people playing it with the same pool, which means you don't have the hassle of trading items. And, the first person who loots isn't stealing the loot for themselves and griefing the second player.”

Is there matchmaking?

No, you’ll have to choose your friends before you start multiplayer. Wasteland 3 doesn’t randomly pair you with other players. “The nice thing is that this is not a match-made game,” Campbell says. “It's not an MMO. This is a couple of people playing the game together to have fun, and we really want to facilitate that ease of getting into and engaging with the game systems, and take away some of the hassles that might get in the way.”

How do game saves work in multiplayer?

“When you save games, it saves the file on both players' systems,” Campbell says. “Those players can then load the game as a single-player campaign, in which case they’ll resume control over the entire party, and they can branch off and do whatever they want. Later on, they can load that save as the basis for a new multiplayer game, so they can invite their friend or a different friend back in and branch from that point on. It really creates a lot of options for players. We knew going in that the actual use case for multiplayer in this sort of game is not having two people get together and sit end-to-end for an entire 80-hour playthrough. This is not the type of game experience that's conducive to that. We wanted to allow for flexibility, to allow you to play with your friends when it's convenient, and when it's not convenient to play by yourself.”

Zombra

Patron
Huh, the shared save system sounds kind of weird. Like, we play through the first two dungeons together, then I go to bed and you play through dungeon #3, then later we play together through dungeon #4 ... so I never get a chance to see dungeon #3, and if I go back to it later it's already cleared. I mean, okay .. seems like few couples are going to make it to the end together though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom