Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Incredible number of bugs in this. I just had an endless loading screen after (what I think was) the final battle. Sadly i hadn't saved and CBA to repeat that so giving up on this for a while.

I also had an extremely annoying bug where upon returning to an area I'd cleared previously some npc had turned hostile (probably due to plot developments). Mid-battle with them, some more hostile NPCs spawned in a locked cupboard. You can't open doors in-battle in W3 and you can't shoot through walls AFAIK so that locked me in battle.

OSU6vKS.jpg

I think this DLC will be "ok" when they fix the bugs, but I'm getting stuck repeating quite long encounters and it's no fun right now.

Always regret it when I play anything soon after release.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
lol, trust randos on the codex to get triggered by that. Yes I am...try to just carry on with your life though, without this fact causing you too much trauma
People like you who wallow in decline should unironically be beaten.
Incredible number of bugs in this.
NOOOOOOOOOO! YOU CAN'T SAY THIS! IT'S A FLAWLESS MASTERPIECE, YOU'RE LYING AND MAKING THINGS UP! OH NO NO NO NO IT WORKS ON MY MACHINE! NOOOOOOOO YOU CANNOT DO THIS WHAT ABOUT MY HECKIN INXILERINO WHAT ABOUT MY MICROSOFTEROONIES NOOOOOOOOOO!
noooooo.png

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Was bored so I bought this on Friday and finished last night.

My thoughts after completing:

• If you don't bring characters with social skills, you're going to end up fighting almost everyone eventually. That I can say from personal experience. You will probably also be locked out of reaching the ideal or even a good ending. That, I'm just guessing at b/c I didn't keep playing the game after ending the expansion. Without social skills you will find yourself choosing to support the asshole you hate least and even then, you may eventually have to kill that asshole too.
  • The non-lethal combat is a nice change of pace in a small dose but it probably wasn't worth the resources and effort they put into it. I was happy enough to get back to killing stuff once the non-lethal quests were over and would not utilize those mechanics again unless explicitly instructed by a quest giver. It is a bit different but not better.
  • I give them credit for trying to add depth with the "elemental shield" mechanic but again, I don't think it was worth the effort. First of all, unless a specific shielded enemy is in a position to be a major nuisance if he isn't killed right away, you are better off just wiping out the non-shielded enemies first and waiting for the shields to weaken/dissipate on the shielded guys. The shields always come in three and there will be no scenario where taking out all three shields first is worth it. You'll be wasting attacks that could be used to take enemies off the board. Secondly, the best way to deal with the shields is to attack first and kill the shield tech during your alpha strike before he can do his thing. The best I can say about this is that it does add to the difficulty a bit (you won't always be able to get to shield guy in the first turn).
  • I had forgot that the game allows you to swap characters in and out of your squad and to create new characters mid-game. So if you're like me and wanted to try out some new builds/npcs that option is still available even though this is a mid-game expansion.
  • I did not experience any major bugs. One time after saving, the frame rate dropped ridiculously low and I had to exit and boot up the game again.
  • New content has been clocked at 3-6 hours by various sources. For me, it was definitely closer to 6 hours. I think not having social skills made things take longer. My party had five people and they went from level 12 to 16-17 during the expansion.

TLDR: The added content is not going to make you like the game if you didn't like vanilla but if you liked W3 and want more content then you'll probably like the expansion. The one thing the expansion seems to do better than the original game is put a higher emphasis on social skills, but I fucked that up by not bringing any characters with those skills. If you're going to bother, bring those skills.

Antigoon

Augur
TLDR: The added content is not going to make you like the game if you didn't like vanilla but if you liked W3 and want more content then you'll probably like the expansion. The one thing the expansion seems to do better than the original game is put a higher emphasis on social skills, but I fucked that up by not bringing any characters with those skills. If you're going to bother, bring those skills.
Are the skill checks also level scaled? For my end game party they were pretty much all 8, for level 25 chars of course no problem. I don't think it took me more than 3 hours to finish the expansion.

Saduj

Arcane
Are the skill checks also level scaled? For my end game party they were pretty much all 8, for level 25 chars of course no problem. I don't think it took me more than 3 hours to finish the expansion.

I don't know for sure but I think at least some are. I watched a few minutes of a stream and saw a skill check that was higher than it was in my game, which I assume was due to scaling.

gruntar

Augur

41 reviews on Steam, 4 on GoG after a week. They probably sold about one thousand units of that thing across all platforms.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I feel like the purpose of having two pieces of DLC is as much to allow them to effectively launch a second time with a "definitive edition" and get another load of coverage.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game hasn't changed all that much. I figured some more QoL stuff and balancing would have happened but nope.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-original-soundtrack

Wasteland 3 Original Soundtrack

file.jpg

The Wasteland 3 Original Soundtrack is now available where all fine soundtracks are sold and listened to—including Spotify! The soundtrack is available as a dual-album, split between the Original Score by composers Mark Morgan and Alexander Brandon, and a selection of our apocalyptic-covers led by Music Director Mary Ramos in Ballads & Hymns.

Fill your ear holes with the smooth and sultry sounds of a deadly post-apocalyptic nightmare today!

Wasteland 3 Original Score

Wasteland 3 Ballads & Hymns

Saduj

Arcane
There are a lot of poo poo pee pee jokes in this.

Not sure if you're referring to the quest in the expansion but the sad part there is that there isn't even really a joke to it. It is more like a three year old's mentality where just mentioning a toilet or having to shit is by itself, hilarious.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Tons of niggers in Steeltown, too.

e:
Holy shit the game went from "kinda stupid" to "complete Reddit"

unknown.png

PEE PEE POO POO FUNNY! (There's a quest where you gotta kill a bunch of worms so the refugees outside Steeltown can go take a shit!!! BRILLIANT!!)

unknown.png

Right next to the toilet is this reference to fucking Herbie because who needs tone?

unknown.png

TOPICAL (Nice job horribly dating your game!)

Also get this, guys! There's a robot! And it talks... are you ready... it talks like a C A N A D I A N
Because it was made in CANADA! Isn't that HILARIOUS?!

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I genuinely don't understand how any of that shit could be considered worse than anything that was already in the game. The Herbie reference is fucking subtle compared to basically everything else.

Saduj

Arcane
Forgot about the talking toilet. :negative:

Herbie wasn’t the only TV/movie vehicle in the scrapyard. And at least they served a purpose.

But it is weird that writers old enough to put a “Car 54 Where Are You” reference in the game are also obsessed with poopy.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Edit: And tangentially related, I just realized how arbitrarily and absurdly limited many perks are. Limiting perks to given skills is fine, but in so many cases, there is no logic as to why a given perk would be limited to only a single type of weapon. Puncturing Shot (Automatic Weapons 2) is limited to only Assault Rifles, although it would make just as much sense to be usable by Sniper Rifles as well; Steady Shot (Big Guns 7), same thing. Another example is Move Up! (Big Guns 2), which apparently only works when using big guns, even though it would make sense with fucking everything. Meanwhile, Draw! (Small Arms 7) works with everything, despite making small thematic sense with most other weapons and being considerably more powerful than the other mentioned perks.
As I prepare to give the game another shot, I can't get over this. I was really hoping that this would be fixed by either patches or mods by now, but there appears to be zero interest in the game. The way there's practically zero synergy between the skills aside from some outliers really gets to me, as there could've been some cool things to do, but as-is, there's just not.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
While western top programmers work in NASA, russian top programmers make games.
If only. Western top programmers either work in finance developing trading bots, or at Google/Facebook developing algorithms to read your mind based on your internet presence. :negative:

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Fargo was about to retire untill Bill Gates made him an offer he could not refuse. The game is mediocre at best. The golden era of RPG was 1990-2004.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I finally started a new game of this last night, and throughout the prologue and the initial area of the base (literally before any of the combat unless you fight the droids), we've already had the game lock up in combat twice and outside of combat twice (once when exiting a dialogue and the other one just straight-up seemingly randomly), with nobody being able to take any action and forcing us to ALT+F4 out of the game and do a restart, which means booting up the game, re-entering the IP (because this is not saved, of course), connecting, loading, and then wait as the game forces you to go through party management again (because this is not saved, of course).

The good news are that those are the only major bugs we've run into so far!

Sooo... progress!
:happytrollboy:

Barbarian

Arcane
Tons of niggers in Steeltown, too.

e:
Holy shit the game went from "kinda stupid" to "complete Reddit"

unknown.png

PEE PEE POO POO FUNNY! (There's a quest where you gotta kill a bunch of worms so the refugees outside Steeltown can go take a shit!!! BRILLIANT!!)

unknown.png

Right next to the toilet is this reference to fucking Herbie because who needs tone?

unknown.png

TOPICAL (Nice job horribly dating your game!)

Also get this, guys! There's a robot! And it talks... are you ready... it talks like a C A N A D I A N
Because it was made in CANADA! Isn't that HILARIOUS?!

The whole series was always like this. Would you claim W1 wasn't just as silly?

Shame about the bugs. I had a good time finishing vanilla after bug patches - will wait for second dlc to drop before doing a replay.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I hadn't noticed it as much in vanilla WL3 or WL2. Steeltown somehow stands out.

Frankly after finishing the DLC I dropped the game again. It doesn't really improve anything, it just adds pointless gimmicks.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So is WL3 better than WL2 or not?
Slightly more shallow, a lot faster and more fun. One of the rare cases where popamoleification leads towards a better game. They trimmed a lot of fat in mechanics like weapon jamming, and went more cartoony in the tone. If you loved WL2 maybe that annoys you, if you thought WL2 was too slow it is just right.
Definitly play on either the hardest or the second hardest difficulty however. Ranger difficulty is normal, Supreme Jerk is hard, rest is a joke. Also snipers are OP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom