Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

His Dudeness

Augur
I've started this recently. Having a great fucking time with it.

However: I'm a few hours in, cleared the Garden of the Gods, few other Colorado Springs sidequests including some grumpy mechanics and starting to fill out my base staff. Is W3 a bit easy? I'm thinking about bumping the difficulty level but sunre if I'm still just playing in the children's pool, quest wise. Thoughts?

Context: I'm a reasonable nuXCOM player - maybe play on hard when I play XCOM.

Yeah all in all the game is pretty easy. I've made a skill monkey that sat at base with maxed barter, armor and weapond mods (which I honestly forgot to use) and by the end of the game had all the bests armors, more than 25k in cash and a fully upgraded vehicle. Ranger difficulty with permadeth enabled.

About Angela:

I think she had lost her marbles by Wasteland 3. The game keeps hammering how bad the patriarch is for making deals with all the horrible people you encounter, but at the end of the day that's what it means to be a leader.

The Patriarch is not great, but as her daughter tells you when you go to arrest her, he wants to promote trade and stability, not rule with an iron hand.

Besides, the dude has a fucking congenital disease and will be out of the picture in a few years. How bad can it be to gain his trust, become his counselor and when you have your power based stablished with contacts and your own network take over him when he finally dies.

That is one thing I did not like about this game, the ability to tell Angela that the patriarch is sick and to knock it off, it will take a couple of years until he dies and the colorado belongs to the rangers.

But no, stupid bitch had to start a mutiny in my own fucking base and kill my recruits, fuck her.

Last edited:

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've started this recently. Having a great fucking time with it.

However: I'm a few hours in, cleared the Garden of the Gods, few other Colorado Springs sidequests including some grumpy mechanics and starting to fill out my base staff. Is W3 a bit easy? I'm thinking about bumping the difficulty level but sunre if I'm still just playing in the children's pool, quest wise. Thoughts?

Context: I'm a reasonable nuXCOM player - maybe play on hard when I play XCOM.

Yeah all in all the game is pretty easy. I've made a skill monkey that sat at base with maxed barter, armor and weapond mods (which I honestly forgot to use) and by the end of the game had all the bests armors, more than 25k in cash and a fully upgraded vehicle. Ranger difficulty with permadeth enabled.
[/spoiler]

That just sounds like normal RPG endgame tbh.

It happens in nuXCOM in about the same way: by the end of the campaign most battles are foregone conclusions in your favour. I forgive Firaxis for it because tactics games are hard to balance when there is player progression. Players have a huge number of tactical options by the late stages of an XCOM campaign - 8-10 abilties per character class and combinations of which have extra synergy. Enemies usually have 2-3 abilities and within one map there are usually just a couple of different types of enemy. If enemies did have the same number of tactical options as players have it would feel random and unplayable.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I had a go with WL2 a wee while ago, and I did enjoy it for a time, but couldn't finish it, as it was becoming a bit samey and boring (as several Codexians had suggested it would). So time to give this a try.

First impressions on this, it seems to be a little bit more smoothly designed in the build area, but a lot of the baffling WL2 UI/camera clunkiness is (bafflingly) still there. I guess it's another case of, "!"£$%$%^ consoles, grrrrr."

I actually gave this a go a few months ago, but I refunded it in irritation when I couldn't switch E and Q for camera turning. (It's the nuXCOM equivalent of inverted mouse for me, I literally can't play this type of game without my Q and E being right - I think most people have a sense of "grab and turn the land", but a few mutants like me have a sense of "turn the floating camera.") I'd been checking in every now and then to see whether the keymapping had been fixed, and they finally did fix it with the Robots & Rangers update. Half discount on Steam, so off we go.

The story and story presentation are surprisingly nice, it has to be said. Conversations and skill checks seem to flow naturally and make sense too. It's quite a comfy game in those areas.

C&C-wise, I was disappointed right out of the gate with the Prisoner and the squatters in the base - checking online, basically it's Potemkin C&C, you get this great presentation (the prisoner really is a standout character, the squatters decision is presented as if it's going to be important) and you're supposed to feel that you've got to be careful making a decision with those two things, so it's disappointing to find out it doesn't make much difference which choice you make. And there was I worrying away at the decision for a few moments - more fool me. I guess there will be some decent C&C once the story picks up momentum (if not then the game's a farce), but as with the camera/UI clunkiness it's baffling - why "introduce the gravity of C&C" with those two scenarios when there's no actual there there?

But yeah, it's enjoyable and moreish so far as it goes.

Basically it is popamole - it's pretty easy even on Jerk of the Wasteland or whatever it's called - but it's the mindlessly enjoyable type of popamole, not the irritating kind that brings you out in hives. You just sort of build as you fancy, mosey along with the story and enjoy the sights. (I tested the game roughly comparing random builds I'd started a run with - just on the basis of skimming the stats and features when I started the game for the first time - with the same fights on the same difficulty with some online builds that seemed to have been sensibly min-maxed, and actually there's hardly any difference in overall performance really - I mean, yeah, a bit, but not like it's night and day. Maybe there would be later, to be fair, but I daresay you could get a monkey to randomly bash out a build and it would perform okay. Needs one more notch.)

The funniest thing about it is that the Assault Rifle has been nerfed into the ground and the SMG is now godly. Does "getting it right" mean nothing to these people?

However, all peccadilloes are forgiven for this awesome track. Great gaming moment when it comes in as you're facing the Dorseys in the introduction:-

Barbarian

Arcane
The game actually has a tone of c&c. No complains on that front and it is kind of unfair for you to state otherwise right at the beginning of the game. Play it with confidence bro.

On the matter of difficulty: yeah, that is an issue. And the game gets easier as you progress unless you made very shitty builds intentionally.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game actually has a tone of c&c. No complains on that front and it is kind of unfair for you to state otherwise right at the beginning of the game..

I did allow for that in my comment of course, but it's just disappointing that two early "showcase" choices that seem to be highlighted don't seem to go anywhere. I mean, I was seriously thinking about those decisions, and it's a bit of a let-down that they're not actually important (the only reason I checked - something I normally never do) is because I had a hunch about it, precisely because they seemed to be a bit showcased.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Game has different endings and the different outcomes from your decisions come mostly on the end sequence. Most of those little decisions you make on your base and on smaller side quests dont have much in terms of C&C, what matters is the bigger decisions around the factions that affect how the final fight at the end of the game will play out and the end slides, there is a bunch of stuff I wont spoil you about that affect that outcome. It isnt the most extensive C&C in the world but I wouldnt call it Potemkin C&C, it has decent enough C&C to at least guarantee a replay.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Playing this now, bought it on sale. It's alright. I find it amusing that there's a Wasteland community that proclaims that W2 was an "old school crpg" and that W3 was a vile concession to the "mainstream". That shit doesn't mean anything anymore, apparently.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's happening!!

https://af.gog.com/game/wasteland_3_the_battle_of_steeltown?as=1649904300

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1393

Wasteland 3: The Battle of Steeltown Releasing June 3

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_e7f5cdec866848398e41f1bf9a800969~mv2.png

The towering factory complex of Steeltown manufactures all the tech that keeps Colorado running and the Patriarch in power—trucks, armor, weapons, and robots. But deliveries from Steeltown have stopped cold, and all the Patriarch is getting from Abigail Markham—Steeltown's leader—are excuses. When he sends the Rangers to investigate, they find the place is a powder keg with the fuse already lit. The workers are striking, bandits raid with impunity, and nobody is allowed through the gates, not even on the business of the Patriarch. Without help, Steeltown could crash and burn for good, and take Markham with it—but maybe that's just what it needs.

The Rangers will have to decide that for themselves.

• Traverse the Steeltown manufacturing complex alone or in co-op in this epic narrative expansion. Take on challenging new quests, face off against new robotic enemies, and solve the mystery at the heart of Steeltown however you see fit.
  • Tactical combat is taken to new heights with new mechanics like devastating telegraphed attacks, stacking status effects, elemental shields, and non-lethal weapons—letting you solve Steeltown’s skirmishes in brand new ways.
  • Combat and gear scaling means that both new and returning players can enter Steeltown during their playthroughs for a level-appropriate challenge, with a story and cast of characters that adapt to the decisions you’ve already made.
  • The Battle of Steeltown expands the base game with new enemies, weapons, armor, and world map encounters.
  • Music Supervisor Mary Ramos and Composer Mark Morgan return with original scores and new post-apocalyptic inspired covers.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_42e394f334384bb185024e3da9f855b2~mv2.png

The Battle of Steeltown is the first expansion we’ll be releasing, and will be available for $13.99 on Steam, GOG, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on June 3, 2021.

The Battle of Steeltown will come shortly after the release of Patch 1.4.0 which introduces some exciting new features. Stay tuned here and follow us on Twitter and Facebook as we preview content and features of Patch 1.4.0 and The Battle of Steeltown in the weeks ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
David Rogers, now game director, says in the press release: https://presse.kochmedia.com/The-Battle-of-Steeltown-DLC-RESOLVE-A-WORKERS-REBELLION-AND-GET-THE-GE

“The Battle of Steeltown represents not just a fantastic new chapter in Wasteland 3’s story,” says Game Director, David Rogers “full of choice, consequence, and Wasteland 3’s unique brand of humor, it’s also a culmination of all the hard work we’ve put into the game since launch. For those playing Wasteland 3 for the first time they’ll be playing the best version of the game. For players coming back to visit Steeltown they're in for a treat with new story, characters, and combat mechanics that really change up tactics in challenging new ways. They’ll also see characters and stories they started in the base game make an appearance, with new interactions for everyone’s favorite foul-mouthed parrot, Santa’s Elves “Where Are They Now?” and more. All of this is complemented with incredible new post-apoc music.”

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Awesome!

I remember Steeltown being referenced in some datamined files in this thread, so yea, this waas the DLC. Can't wait to play it.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Great news.

I'm actually really enjoying the game now, and the others were right - it does have some nice intertwiney C&C as you dig into it.

It's also the sort of game where the graphics (art and graphics) are good enough that one actually feels comfortable playing zoomed in on the action a bit, which makes the ka-booms feel more up-close and personal (whereas with WL2 one tended to be more zoomed out and distant from the action). The writing is quite mature as well - it's not too bad on the woke front, and the focus is definitely on the stories and characters as fleshed-out people who seem quirky and "real." And on reflection, the Jerk difficulty is pitched just right for gameplay where you have to be thoughtful and you can't just mash buttons, and things do got tits up sometimes; but it's not so difficult that every move takes an aeon of pondering. And that's good, because you do want to get on to the next bit of the story too.

Level scaled mid campaign expansion. :negative:
That's my reaction too. As much as I liked Wasteland 3 that does nothing to make me want to replay it any sooner. They probably would've been better off with a little standalone mini-campaign or something, the base game's campaign is fine. To be fair that's not unusual for RPG DLC though, Obsidian's fucking awful about making tacked on side-areas as well. Still, it'll be around for whenever I do get the urge to play it again I guess.

Saduj

Arcane
Level scaled mid campaign expansion. :negative:
That's my reaction too. As much as I liked Wasteland 3 that does nothing to make me want to replay it any sooner. They probably would've been better off with a little standalone mini-campaign or something, the base game's campaign is fine. To be fair that's not unusual for RPG DLC though, Obsidian's fucking awful about making tacked on side-areas as well. Still, it'll be around for whenever I do get the urge to play it again I guess.

Yeah, my preference would be a short, new campaign starting at level 1. But I'm drawing blank on any expansions that actually did this. My second choice would be sequel campaign. I really have no desire to re-play the whole game just for some extra side content. I suppose just loading up an old save would work and isn't much different than playing a sequel campaign.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
GiBWE6v.png

:what:

Is Microsoft money paying for youtube shills? Wasteland 3 wasn't terrible, but it's weird seeing this kind of enthusiasm for it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys how is this game? I have read literally nothing at all about it - is it finished? Is it good? I really liked WL2 but only when it was fully patched with the added aiming and stuff. How does WL3 compare?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Guys how is this game? I have read literally nothing at all about it - is it finished? Is it good? I really liked WL2 but only when it was fully patched with the added aiming and stuff. How does WL3 compare?
Better than WL2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom