Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys how is this game? I have read literally nothing at all about it - is it finished? Is it good? I really liked WL2 but only when it was fully patched with the added aiming and stuff. How does WL3 compare?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys how is this game? I have read literally nothing at all about it - is it finished? Is it good? I really liked WL2 but only when it was fully patched with the added aiming and stuff. How does WL3 compare?
I haven't played it yet, but from everything I've read here, it's good and is worth playing if you liked W2. There is a substantial expansion coming out very soon so personally I am waiting for it to be actually done.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Positives:
Removed most of the jank of Wasteland 2, improved the animations, gun shot sounds, looks like a polished game this time.
Rebalanced the skill system so all weapons are useful this time, contrary to Wasteland 2 where half the weapons were useless or pointless.
Decent C&C, story with some interesting characters and ideas.
Good itemization in relation of alot of diferent guns, robots, pets, armor to acquire, all on hand placed locations.
Loads of stat checks everywhere.
You have a base and a car to drive around, they are very basic in implementation but it is fun to play driving around and act like a local ruler when people come asking for favours on your base.

Negatives
Currently a short game, it is on the shorter side of RPGs like 15hs or so, many areas are kinda small and dont fully deliver on their potential because of that.
It isnt that complex in terms of build theoricrafting, middle term between a Shadowrun Returns and the Excel spreadsheet autism of the Pathfinder games. If you are after spreadsheet autism, you might get disappointed.
Still some of the problems of Wasteland 2 remain like unbalanced combat and poorly implemented armor system and those can become annoying pushing you into killing the enemies on the first round what makes certain weapons more viable than others on Supreme Jerk leading to repetitive gameplay.
People that are sensitive to random "humor" on a post apocalyptic maybe annoyed on certain over the top side encounters.
The setting is still kinda generic post apoc kitchen sink collage but the characters kinda make up for it.

Depends on what are your expectations, it is a good game if you expect a fun to play Wasteland game, advise you waiting for the Director's Cut, there are two expansions coming on 2021.

Smerlus

Educated
It took me 3 years to build up the strength to beat W2. W3, since it is short, but also because it was an overall better game took me a couple weeks

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It took me 3 years to build up the strength to beat W2. W3, since it is short, but also because it was an overall better game took me a couple weeks
People said WL2 was fixed with the Special Super Duper Remaster Remake Rerelease version or whatever its on now. It really isn't.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It has a slightly more board-gamey (nuXCOM-ish) feel, but only very slightly (it's still AP based, but one gets the impression that cover placement was more thought-out) - and partly because one tends to view the action more close-up. With WL2, I found one wanted to play most of the time quite zoomed out - not just because it wasn't that much of a looker close-up, but because a lot of the fights tended to be sprawling. But that meant one's sense of one's wee men got a bit detached. In WL3 the fights are more compact and contained, and a bit more intricate, with more toys and tricks to play with, so one feels that one's wee men have more personality.

This helps with the story-telling, and generally the dialogues, cutscenes and interactions have more impact and are better written, and the VO is a lot better most of the time. In this way also, it's more of a continuous experience between the dialogues and the combat and the travel - one has more of a virtual world feeling while playing.

Mechanics and build wise, it seems to be a bit more smoothly designed, a bit more casualized, but not offensively so (e.g. progression is less measly and labourious than WL2, with impactful upgrades coming more frequently; you have enough points to pump non-combat skills more, and pretty much cover all the useful non-combat skills with your team; more shaping is possible via attributes too). Some of WL2's rickety charm has been lost, particularly the heavily 90s PC-style interface; WL3's interface feels a lot more generic and "consol-ey" in some of the more awkward ways, though it's functional enough.

Difficulty needs one harder notch, as the hardest here is only somewhat challenging (though that's actually good if you're into the story, in fact it's quite nicely balanced for storyfaggery on Jerk - you can't sleepwalk it, but combat doesn't take ages).

But really, they're not that different gameplay-wise, it still feels like the same series.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Currently a short game, it is on the shorter side of RPGs like 15hs or so
Doesn't look right. The shortest playthrough on HLTB is 29 hours. I cleared the whole map and got around 36 hours.
upload_2021-4-20_21-42-23.png

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=42532

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:troll: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-patch-1-4-0-crafting

Wasteland 3 Patch 1.4.0 Feature Preview: Crafting
c84f3a_9d14cda3d15f4d21983f96eb0a622eab~mv2.webp

The world in which the Rangers exist is a perilous environment filled with challenge at every turn, where desperation and despair wait just ahead and trail close behind. Survivors in this world do not get by with sheer luck or by accident. They maintain a will to survive that has been tempered for generations in this radioactive wasteland where life was meant to die.

Out here, the pieces of this broken world are your keys to rebuilding anew . . . or should at least prove helpful in prolonging your own grisly demise for another day.

CRAFTING THE APOCALYPSE
This year’s updates so far have included Permadeath, Difficult Skill Checks, new difficulty modes, new cosmetic options, and a host of quality-of-life changes and game improvements—but we’re not stopping there. With Patch 1.4.0 releasing in the next few weeks, your Rangers will soon be able to finally put much more of what they find across frozen Colorado to new use, and forge items that are oftentimes helpful, sometimes exotic, and occasionally, just batshit insane. Wasteland 3’s Crafting system will introduce exciting new weapons and high-level mods for squads to experiment with. This is going to be especially beneficial for those of you coming back to play the expansions we’ve got coming. This is a true-to-Wasteland system, with new gear that celebrates the post-apoc theme, and packs other surprises that’ll keep you guessing. Along with all that new hotness, there’s also the obvious convenience of making your squads more self-sufficient in the field, as they’ll be able to make their own ammo and medical supplies on the run. Overall, this system is going to give new purpose to a lot of the vendor Junk you find in the world, allowing you to grind it all up and spit it all back out as a bunch of shiny new items.

c84f3a_e81d72aa4f5d410a8c0ccd3b3092db10~mv2.gif

The new craftable W.A.S.P. Gun is every bit as horrific as you imagine it to be.
RECIPES FOR DESTRUCTION
Whether you’ll be challenging Colorado’s tundra in a fresh playthrough, or are continuing from an existing save, this next update will immediately grant you access to this new feature. Crafting in Wasteland 3 doesn’t require a Crafting skill—all you need are recipes and the components to make them. There are effectively three ways to get recipes: 1. By leveling up your Skills!

The most basic recipes are acquired automatically as your characters’ Skills are leveled up. Increasing your First Aid, for example, will also unlock recipes to craft Med Hypos, Medic Packs, and more. Skill-point recipes like these tend to offer the most basic and regularly useful items like ammo, healing items, as well as standard weapon and armor mods.

c84f3a_60bf115bfe1e47669f6d8f8876017539~mv2.webp

When ranking up your Skills you’ll be able to see what recipes the next point will unlock. Not all skills have associated recipes to be unlocked, but it’ll be clear to you which ones do. 2. Buying from vendors & searching containers!

The more valuable recipes are purchased from vendors, or found out in the world in containers and safes. Vendors tend to have standard gear like higher-end mods and grenades, while the more exotic gear and unique items can only be found scattered across Colorado.

c84f3a_3ac05e3d8e1e42dbbefc5ac21325aa48~mv2.webp

3. By acquiring mystery recipe ingredients!

Some recipes can’t be discovered directly; instead, you’ll get an idea for a recipe as soon as you pick up a particularly strange or special item. When you do, you’ll see a notification that an unknown recipe has been discovered, which will tell you what else you need to make it… though you still won’t yet know what it’ll all turn into. Only when all the listed ingredients of said recipe are glued, stapled, duct taped, or welded together will you finally perceive the glory of its final form. Ever wondered what you’d get if you combined Ken’s Shriveled Junk with some Mustache Wax? Now, you’ll finally get to find out!

c84f3a_1d0f20b6223c44b4a3bbeca762deada9~mv2.webp

POTENT COMPONENTS
So you have some recipes and are ready to craft, but this isn’t the Nordic realms of yore – you ain’t gonna find pristine iron ingots and finely milled cords of lumber just laying around. As you might surmise, the primary crafting component in the wasteland is… (drum roll…) Scrap! Now, you may have seen some Scrap in the game before, but with your newfound knowledge of Crafting you’re going to want to see a lot more of it. Scrap is obtained lots of ways, but primarily by looting it from the corpses of your enemies, opening containers that don’t belong to you, as well as from field stripping weapons you have no need for.

c84f3a_6652fb34d88742ce8d8cf2a25a04c16b~mv2.webp

In addition to Scrap, there are of course other components you’ll usually need to craft your various items. These components are also mostly obtained from dead bodies and containers. Fair warning: Items which may have been previously disregarded as junk back before patch 1.4.0 could now be worth their weight in clean drinking water. Good thing vendors don’t seem to have much of a market for all that junk you sold them—that stuff is easily bought back if you revisit them. As mentioned above, sometimes picking up a random piece of junk will kick off a mystery recipe. You won’t know what these mystery recipes are going to make, and you’ll just need to find the odd and sometimes very unique bits and pieces and hope they make something useful when you smash it all together.

CUE THE MONTAGE
Ok, so we’ve teased a bit at some of what you can make. Ammo and healing items are great and all, but we know what you’re thinking: what’s the end game here? What’s going to make chasing after recipes worthwhile? So, we’ll simply leave some images here of just some of the things you could discover and craft in the next update—that is, if you can find the recipe and components. Make no mistake, these cobbled-together items are powerful late-game weapons that, as you could guess, are typically unconventional with unique mechanics.

c84f3a_3e1bc6e86a064729ae2e6e0ab60dc114~mv2.webp

SAFETY GLASSES REQUIRED
We’re in the thick of it now, Rangers. We want to thank all of you in the community for continuing to answer this call to arms and for joining us on this leg of the adventure in Colorado. We’re continually humbled by your appreciation for the game, and we want you to know that it’s our pleasure to continue to pour our frozen hearts and icy souls into this. Stay tuned! We have more features and additions to preview for Patch 1.4.0 in the weeks ahead, as well as content and previews for the recently announced first expansion to Wasteland 3, The Battle of Steeltown.

F.A.Q.
Q: How much will I get out of crafting if I’m close to the end of the game?

There’s fun to be had with crafting for you, and recipes to be found, but you would very likely need to reacquire reagents you had previously sold to vendors. Additionally, any crates you’ve opened and NPC’s you’ve talked to are “tapped” and won’t populate with the new recipes available to discover. To be clear, we expect that the feature is going to be most valuable to new playthroughs or those early on in their adventure.

Q: So, stuff marked as Junk could be useful? Now you tell me…

Vendors don’t actually sell the items you’ve dumped on them, so you can buy any crafting materials back as you see fit.

Q: The new craftables sound cool, but how cool are they really?

They range in coolness from literal shit to some of the best weapons in the game. Good luck!

Q: How will this work with The Battle of Steeltown?

We're so glad that you asked, imaginary person! If you own The Battle of Steeltown, you'll be able to access additional new crafting recipes that tie into Steeltown's own content, such as weapons and armor. But rest assured that if you don’t own the DLC, we aren't holding anything back from the base game when 1.4.0 drops.

Q: How are these questions “Frequently Asked” when you just posted this?

We’re going to level with you… FAQs are a sham. A charade. It’s bull hooey. They’re almost never frequently asked questions, but instead a different way to present the information to the reader to explain complex or confusing ideas. Or sometimes it’s a way to get across info the presenter left out entirely. They should really be called “Important Info We Left Out, Phrased As a Q&A” or “What We Said Before Might Have Been Confusing, So Here it Is in a Different Format.” We’re sorry to have to drop this on you but try to have a good day anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This isn't just generic junk crafting though, it's make-things-that-otherwise-wouldn't-exist crafting. :M

covr

Prophet
Patron
I fucking loved W3 and can't wait to play that new DLC. Took me 50 hours to beat the game but keep in mind that I am a slow player. And I've played it on Xbox, on PC I could have beaten it a couple of hours earlier.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Actually looking forward to playing this, but waiting for all expansions, DLC and updates to be out first. Gonna be a while I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:shittydog: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/patch-1-4-0-animal-companion-kennel

Patch 1.4.0 Feature Preview: Animal Companion Kennel
c84f3a_bee355c7fe0740a69a30e710ee0c8b26~mv2.webp

The hype train continues as we roll into Patch 1.4.0 station before continuing on to Steeltown. Is that our final stop? No, it won’t be, but it’s a nice place and we recommend getting out and stretching your legs. In addition to the Crafting system we’ve already outlined coming in this next (free) update, we have some oft-requested features to make managing your animal companion coterie a real cinch.

Animal Companion Kennel
Chief among the new animal companion-focused changes hitting in Patch 1.4.0 is the Animal Companion Kennel. This is a safe, warm, and nurturing environment that all of your furry and spiky friends can hang out when you’re not using them to murder clown gangs or robots.

Right now, animal companions don’t hang around if you dismiss them, but with the Kennel they’ll have a home they automatically return to. That lets you build up a cadre of canines and cats, and pick and choose as you need… or just collect ‘em all!

c84f3a_9ab92c36156d4d169ed821ecaf150ef7~mv2.webp

Not only do your furry friends return to the Kennel when you dismiss them, but if their owner leaves the squad (or permanently dies in battle) their animal companion will automatically return to the Kennel next time you zone to a different level. Of course, that’s assuming they survive the combat themselves.

c84f3a_8e77cfcf21224915a72f34f85578a8a0~mv2.webp

If you’re not particularly fond of a companion, you can release them back into the wild from the Kennel too, but we honestly don’t know why you’d ever do that. They need you and it’s cold out there.

One last note, any animal companions that have run away before this update won’t automagically reappear in the Kennel—they’ll have to be tamed again, where possible.
Companion Type Limit … Gone!
What’s with those pesky companion type limits, anyway? One wolf, one pig … ONE cat!? You need at least three cats. Rules be damned, we’re opening the floodgates of fur and horns! With Patch 1.4.0, you’ll be able to bring along whatever animal companions you damn well please.

c84f3a_3670b8d21c0943f1a8316e4745470ad7~mv2.webp

Animal Portrait & UI Improvements
We’re also upgrading our character portrait system to show what pet a specific Ranger has with them, and a health bar so you can keep tabs on their condition. This should greatly help in keeping track during combat.

c84f3a_079ca53a04db469bb5f347247e7af8be~mv2.webp

You can also mouse over the pet icon to get a tooltip of current stats.

c84f3a_7f900c707bf340eda4396de2172b0d8a~mv2.webp

Polly Want a Crack-their Skulls Open?
Rounding out the list of animal-related changes, we let the shackles off the writing team (who we definitely don’t really keep shackled so please don’t look into it) and had them seriously upgrade the smack-talk of our favorite foulmouthed featherbrain. Polly now has a brand-new Demoralize ability in combat, replete with many, many blasphemy-laden insults he’ll lob your enemies’ way. It’s as fun as it sounds—here’s just a taste of the full repertoire.

Warning: Not Safe for… well… pretty much anyone, anywhere.

Follower Fixes
Last, but not least, we’ve put the kibosh on some annoying bugs that would sometimes cause non-animal followers (Provost, Party Pal, etc.) to vanish during gameplay. They can still get their brains splattered or bolts smashed if you’re not careful, but there should be less chance of them getting lost during your post-apocalyptic adventure.

Oh, and incase it wasn’t clear, non-animal companions are not animals and aren’t stored in the kennel.

We hope you’re excited for Patch 1.4.0 as we close in on its release in the next couple weeks. If you haven’t yet, be sure to check out the Crafting article we’ve published, and keep an eye out for more Patch 1.4.0 and The Battle of Steeltown feature previews as we roll toward launch.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've seen a lot of complaints about the implementation of animal companions, so it's swell that they're actually doing something about it instead of leaving it frustrating.

Smerlus

Educated
On one hand I like that InXile supports their games post release

But fuck. I shouldn't have to wait 3 years after one of their games are released to play the best version of it. Holy shit. Get your fingers out of your asses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom