Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Kitchen Utensil

So far it meets the basic notes and is better than Wasteland 2, but if your definition of good rpg is something that deserves being on the codex top 10, then no, it isnt. It deserves 7/10

7/10 lol.

Codex Top 10 is distilled nostalgia. Both W2 and W3 are bigger and mechanically vastly more complex than Fallout 1 and the writing in both is easily comparable. People only adore Fallout because it was their first game of this kind. If it launched next week Codex' cynicism and edginess would go into overdrive.

You've been posting more and more retarded shit these past couple of weeks. Are you okay?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So far it meets the basic notes and is better than Wasteland 2, but if your definition of good rpg is something that deserves being on the codex top 10, then no, it isnt. It deserves 7/10

7/10 lol.

Codex Top 10 is distilled nostalgia. Both W2 and W3 are bigger and mechanically vastly more complex than Fallout 1 and the writing in both is easily comparable. People only adore Fallout because it was their first game of this kind. If it launched next week Codex' cynicism and edginess would go into overdrive.

You've been posting more and more retarded shit these past couple of weeks. Are you okay?

Weeks?

I haven't seen you posting anything non-retarded for the past three years.

EDIT: Joined 2017. That explains it.

Fairly minor spoiler (I assume, since it's early on) but I got a question.
Anyone know if the Patriarch can forgive you for blasting your way into the bunker in the park? I'm doing a Patriarch-loyalist run, but out of curiosity I figured I'd take a peek just to see if I can check it out and still remain loyal to him. Turning into a full-fledged dungeon crawl though so it makes more sense to just ask if anyone knows, since otherwise I'm gonna reload and ignore the bunker.

Codex Year of the Donut
I took the option to save the kid from the pillory in the beginning in return for him joining me. He went to ranger HQ but seems to be gone, not joinable, doesn't show up anywhere in the base.

Bug or did I get suckered?
Go around talking to the people stationed at your ranger center, he's there somewhere.
Not all of them join your team, some of them just do jobs at the base.

SoupNazi

Fairly minor spoiler (I assume, since it's early on) but I got a question.
Anyone know if the Patriarch can forgive you for blasting your way into the bunker in the park? I'm doing a Patriarch-loyalist run, but out of curiosity I figured I'd take a peek just to see if I can check it out and still remain loyal to him. Turning into a full-fledged dungeon crawl though so it makes more sense to just ask if anyone knows, since otherwise I'm gonna reload and ignore the bunker.
I finished that dungeon crawl and so far it has had no direct consequence with the Patriatch. It's like nobody noticed the statue opening up a hatch. Plus, it's implied that the operation is based on plausible deniability.

I took the option to save the kid from the pillory in the beginning in return for him joining me. He went to ranger HQ but seems to be gone, not joinable, doesn't show up anywhere in the base.

Bug or did I get suckered?
For me he's at the entrance to the Ranger HQ (at the main door), as a guard. He has a quip anytime I come in and if I talk to him he thanks me and refers thanks from his mother as well.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is the first game in a long time where the load times are actually putting me off starting it up. God damn, they are ridiculously long. I played through Pillars 1 and this game is worse for loading times I'm sure.

I hope to god this is something they can improve in a patch because I'm growing a beard waiting for some of these levels to load.

I finished that dungeon crawl and so far it has had no direct consequence with the Patriatch. It's like nobody noticed the statue opening up a hatch. Plus, it's implied that the operation is based on plausible deniability.
That's kind of a shame. Especially since you can actually go talk to him about it before you go to the dungeon and he denies it but says IF IT WAS REAL THOUGH DON'T GO THERE OR I'LL FUCK YOU UP LOL JUST A JOKE. IN MINECRAFT *WINK*

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
So, judging from the quest strings ripped out of the game, quite a bit of content seems to be cut - something like 3 locations. Library (that one looks especially big), Steeltown, Cheyenne Mountain. 1 or 2 companions (one new and second one may be Ralphy, but that one is not guaranteed, though). DLC fodder, for sure.

Takamori

Learned
That's kind of a shame. Especially since you can actually go talk to him about it before you go to the dungeon and he denies it but says IF IT WAS REAL THOUGH DON'T GO THERE OR I'LL FUCK YOU UP LOL JUST A JOKE. IN MINECRAFT *WINK*
Yeah I wrote a feedback in Inxile forums on that regard, its ridiculous that the Patriarch gave 0 shits when the rangers figured out what happened.

So, judging from the quest strings ripped out of the game, quite a bit of content seems to be cut - something like 3 locations. Library (that one looks especially big), Steeltown, Cheyenne Mountain. 1 or 2 companions (one new and second one may be Ralphy, but that one is not guaranteed, though). DLC fodder, for sure.

Oh thats interesting it sure felt this game was short for RPG standards. Hope is not DLC bits and is delivered as an actual expansion with all content. I fucking hate having to go through crumbles of content.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've seen people fapping to Wasteland 3, but I'd like to hear the truth now: is Wasteland 3 a real, good RPG?

If it was made by potatoes, this forum would be fapping to it so hard that the cum would seep through your monitor when reading this thread.
Hmm ATOM is in times better than this game. You sound butthurt by the slav supremacy in the sphere of RPGs :smug:

Takamori

Learned
There's the explanation why is W3 the only major recent American game without a whiff of wokeness.

Really? The main bad-guy is The Patriarch. i.e. the patriarchy. That's at least a nod to the progs.

See

Many people will automatically assume "PATRIARCH = TRUMP" or something similar, but he's clearly meant to evoke a biblical monarch whose children have strayed. David and Absalom. That's where they're getting the word "patriarch", not from a gender studies course.
Going to guess his last name being Buchanan wasn't picked by throwing darts at a dartboard.

From an interview last year: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/02/...pocalypse-cant-kill-the-one-percent/view-all/

[The Wasteland 3 narrative team had this to say about the Saul Buchanan, the Patriarch:

“Saul” was meant to evoke a troubled king-figure whose reign is faltering, an allusion to the Biblical Saul, obviously. For his last name, we wanted a classically American, preferably presidential name, so we looked back through the 19th century presidents and picked out Buchanan – not because of anything specifically related to James Buchanan, just because the name had the right feel to it. The Patriarch himself uses American imagery to give himself a sense of legitimacy, so that sort of name felt right.

Note that all the Hundred Families – the aristocracy of Colorado – have names that are meant to evoke 19th century America –even the non-Anglo names were present in the U.S. during that time.]

And whoever thinks that Gippers vs Robots is a fucking allusion to Capitalism vs Communism you are a brain dead retard that I will make sure to ignore because you are no better than a Gender Studies danger hair retard.

Bah

Arcane
There's the explanation why is W3 the only major recent American game without a whiff of wokeness.

Really? The main bad-guy is The Patriarch. i.e. the patriarchy. That's at least a nod to the progs.
...no?

I wasn't implying that this is how it is used in the game, but to say there is no "whiff of wokeness" when the left has been yelling "patriarchy bad" for years now is naive at best.

Elk

Novice
Game is okay, 5/10. I'm at what I'm guessing is roughly the halfway point, and this might be it for me, as the story just let me down big time. Spoiler:
I had a chat with iron whatever before shooting him in his cell. I was expecting Saul to have some pretty big skeletons in his closet, or a devious plot of him having sicced the Dorseys on the rangers or... SOMETHING, guy seemed so wonderfully sinister in the beginning. But is this it?? Judging by how inexplicably horrified my companions reacted to his completely justifiable actions years ago, I'm guessing so, and Angela Deth is just a psycho bitch who wants to free this crazy slaver, and the inevitable choice between who to side with is a complete no-brainer.
An absolute fuckton of bugs, anyone with patience should wait a year until they fix most of them. Some of the basic menus are buggy, that's how bad it is. Even if the game was made by a bunch of complete novices who didn't employ a single beta tester, this would be unacceptably bad. InXile is incompetent, worse than Bethesda.

Some frustrating design, many "gotcha" moments where you get wiped out in an ambush or at the end of dialogue, promoting save scumming and metaknowledge (shoot them in the head rather than entering conversation). Whoever goes first in combat has a decisive advantage, might just as well have let the player go first every time, or much better, retained individual initiative and scrapped this dumbass group initiative system.

Dialogue trees were sometimes incoherent, difficult to tell which options end conversations and which milk more information. Not too big a deal, but another reason to reload for the most OCD topic exhausters. Game also punishes you for living with your decisions, and doesn't properly inform you of their gravity. The intro has a prime example, where if a seemingly unimportant NPC dies means missing out on a permanent companion later. Weirdly though, in combat, the opposite is true: death is totally meaningless, you can't permanently die, you can even keep popping your characters up for free in mid-combat, like, I don't know, a bunch of unkillable cockroaches rather than a ranger squad.

Loading times were atrocious and loading screens frequent, but this is a unity game, so what do you expect. Alt-tabbing to browse the internet while waiting is important to keep sanity.

On the plus side, I had some decent laughs, even if most dialogue is mediocre. Combat was enjoyable except when it wasn't, and I neither regret playing the game, nor have any particularly fond memories of those 20-30 or so hours. I.e. a giant MEH. Wasteland 1 > Wasteland 2 > Wasteland 3

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wasn't implying that this is how it is used in the game, but to say there is no "whiff of wokeness" when the left has been yelling "patriarchy bad" for years now is naive at best.

The Patriarch is not the main bad guy.

Whether you end up fighting him or not is a morally gray option; choosing to keep the alliance with him ultimately benefits both Arizona and Colorado but turning against him results in one of the two suffering

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Regarding wokeness, character creation is at least funny.

Colorado demographics:

84% white
4% black
4% other

Out of the 36 portraits with visible faces:

11 white
14 black
9 Asian
1 mime
1 clown

Bah

Arcane

The Patriarch is not the main bad guy.

Whether you end up fighting him or not is a morally gray option; choosing to keep the alliance with him ultimately benefits both Arizona and Colorado but turning against him results in one of the two suffering

Ah, well, I'm not too far into the game yet, and there have been some plot points hinting that this is the way the game might go.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Regarding wokeness, character creation is at least funny.

Colorado demographics:

84% white
4% black
4% other

Out of the 36 portraits with visible faces:

11 white
14 black
9 Asian
1 mime
1 clown
Not enough clown representation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom