Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol. Was selling junk and apparently I "found an antique" which "sold at auction for 155.000 colorado dollarros". 10 luck I guess. I'm in the end game so don't really care, but that would have made the game even easier than it already is if it happened earlier.
That was your stack of scrap, it counts as one item. It's possible to buy and sell it back and forth until that 5% perk procs if someone willing to abuse it.
I don't think that's how it works.

My guess is there's a 5% chance any one piece of scrap might be "found to be an antique" and then sold at an "auction" for 50x its value. So once I was selling a few hundred scrap at once and got three separate auctions - at 300, 500 an 800 dorra.

I guess SoupNazi was selling a few thousand pieces at once and he got lucky several times with several high-valued pieces of scrap.

jackofshadows

Magister
Lol. Was selling junk and apparently I "found an antique" which "sold at auction for 155.000 colorado dollarros". 10 luck I guess. I'm in the end game so don't really care, but that would have made the game even easier than it already is if it happened earlier.
That was your stack of scrap, it counts as one item. It's possible to buy and sell it back and forth until that 5% perk procs if someone willing to abuse it.
I don't think that's how it works.

My guess is there's a 5% chance any one piece of scrap might be "found to be an antique" and then sold at an "auction" for 50x its value. So once I was selling a few hundred scrap at once and got three separate auctions - at 300, 500 an 800 dorra.

I guess SoupNazi was selling a few thousand pieces at once and he got lucky several times with several high-valued pieces of scrap.
Dude, I'm not guessing, I'm telling. Check for yourself, just buy that stack back, sell and again untill you'll see it. I thought the perk was broken from the start so was being curious and made sure it is. But since I don't like to abuse game's systems like that (too much, it's like stealing from Ristezze in Arcanum over and over) just reload and continue.

Cnaiur

Augur
Funny moment btw, first time I encountered the scorpitron on the map and killed it...just to encounter him directly again on the world map, followed up by a third time! Was afraid I'd be stuck in a loop, but after the third I was good to go.

I did get 3x3 worth of weapon crates however :D, including the best sniper I could find in the game (forgot the name, using 0.50 ammo, the eliminator or something like that?) plus the 150-300dmg blade for my melee character. In the end that was - next to my sniper and small arms shotgun Lucia - a big damage dealer with the perks to get constant crits, free swings and a shitload of attacks at 3ap (why do blunt weapons with similar dmg output cost 4ap btw?).

Really liked the car upgrades as well btw, was a pleasure crushing enemies by driving over them with the level 3 chassis with knight rider tunes.

Sloul

Savant
I am also having a blast with the game. Historically I had a huge beef with Inxile and Wasteland 2 (which was mediocre at best imo), I thought Wasteland 3 would be another bad joke from Fargo; well, I was proven wrong and I am quite happy of the result.

Int is not a dumb stat, crit multiplier is god on sniper, rocket launcher and assault weapons.
Assault weapons are good: free attack on 5 move with smg, double attack on a single target = CRIT, 1 kill = +3 AP, you can spend twice the amount of bullet with SMG.
In the end it covers long, medium and short range + allow you to move and attack for free (good for flanking) and get some AP after kill. I usually get at least one kill per turn thx to SMG.
It's good. It's not as OP as sniper, big guns and shotgun, but it's not bad.

Some tips:
Don't use energy weapons that fire multiple bullets (aka energy assault rifles and smg), single bullets weird techs weapons are superior, as they will consume less of your ammo for same or better result (my fav are rocket launcher, since the ammo is 7$ instead of 100's).
As it was stated before me, you can make specific ranger mules for Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Mapper (survival 10 perk), AND barter. Barter 10 on a mule is priceless at Ranger's HQ.

At this point I tend to think that CHA isn't even worth it on a leader type Ranger, not only the input is not that good, but the skill leadership isn't worth it either.
A way to fix it? Add a resist. to status effects for party members within CHA zone of control, and add more debuff available to enemies. I want to see my rangers piss themselves from time to time (not answering to control for instance).

Biggest issues with the game:
Why is Angel D so dumb? I don't mind dumb NPC, but she is kinda iconic. I aimed to fallow Ranger's plan to the letter, when I received that call from her, it put an hold on everything. Only to discover that her view/plans are ... what? completely dumb.
AND, the prison in the middle of the city where you can barge in and ... yeah... don't go there ppl, save yourself from brain disrupt.

That's all for now.
reagan_flags.jpg

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
what's the purpose of quick slots if it costs no action points to enter inventory during combat and put items into those slots?

also, deploying turrets was supposed to have a cooldown? because it briefly shows the number 3 over the turret in the quick slot, but it dissapears.

turrets make the the game too easy.

they're cheap, you can deploy them with no cooldown or number limit, have a tone of life and armor and draw enemy fire.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Some tips:
Don't use energy weapons that fire multiple bullets (aka energy assault rifles and smg), single bullets weird techs weapons are superior, as they will consume less of your ammo for same or better result (my fav are rocket launcher, since the ammo is 7$ instead of 100's).
Argon Lance + Supression +Overload + Taunt + anti armor perk from weird science + high intelligence = you waste a ton of bullets but everything on a cone dies, especially if they are synths, have high armor or are robots and this pretty much from the begining of the game.

At this point I tend to think that CHA isn't even worth it on a leader type Ranger, not only the input is not that good, but the skill leadership isn't worth it either.
A way to fix it? Add a resist. to status effects for party members within CHA zone of control, and add more debuff available to enemies. I want to see my rangers piss themselves from time to time (not answering to control for instance).
Top charisma on the begining of the game right after the tutorial + select 2 skills that are frequently used on the same high CHA character, stuff like lockpicking, nerd stuff or explosives. You will level up insanely fast because xp for skill checks arent shared and they give a ton of xp (you can get 1/3 the xp from a secondary quest by opening a lock) but they are multiplied by the CHA bonus. About leadership, rally is very useful and taunt apply a -20% hit + -15% hit from suppresion, you have -35% to hit that is pretty great on Supreme Jerk.

SoupNazi

So, I finished it a few minutes ago. I don't think I've seen a lot of the game, halfway into it I decided I'll be playing a 2nd playthrough as well and just wanted to get through the story this time. Over all, it's a solid 8.5/10 for me. The story was banal but engaging, well paced. Music was great, combat was great, in the end the visuals kinda grew on me too, it wasn't as busy and plasticky in motion as it looked on screenshots. I liked that several different builds were viable, and combat encounters seemed to be built in different ways. Sometimes, my Brawler would be the most useful, running around the battlefield punching and stunning dudes. Other times the encounter could basically be finished by my two snipers. Difficult fights had everyone participating. Grenades were a must in the more difficult fights.

Ended it with the following party:
Custom - brawler/doctor - no armor, max speed and strength, luck, running around tanking and evading and stunning and reviving dead squishies
Custom - sniper - all into INT and AP to be able to get 2 shots per turn in
Kwon - assault rifles - later focus into energy weapons to take out robots/turrets
Lucia - small arms - revolver/shotgun combo, speed for evasion
Jodie Bell - 2ndary sniper - INT and AP, contrary to some previous statements here and elsewhere, it's OP
Custom - big guns - full tank with the strongest armor, flamethrower and heavy machine gun, was a lot more fun than expected

The only truly BAD thing about the game were the long loading screens and their amount (and no fast travel, but it wouldn't be needed if there were not so many loading screens)

Few things were disappointing / annoying:
- Typical RPG mistakes, i.e. secret prison in the middle of a park, some missions which were urgent were not designated as such, some NPC decisions do not make sense...
- Terrible interface, slow moving characters, confirmations on every skillpoint assignment
- Game could do without the map travel in the vehicle, but its addition into combat was fun, so meh.

Ending spolers ahead:
I don't understand the reputation system. I was loved by refugees, loved by 100 fams, and had high loyalty with my rengars at the base. High fame too. Outside factions (gippers and whatever) hated me. Marshals hated me.
I sided with the Patriarch, and that automatically means that refugees get murdered in the base, and turn on you in the square. Marshalls thank you for the save even though they hate you. At least the Sheriff comments on this (something like "you know there is no love lost between us, but thanks for the save")

Also, everyone at the ranger HQ hated me by the end I cleared it out, or didn't want to talk to me. I was hoping for some closure.

In the end I was very disappointed by the peaceful end to the fight, even though I was glad it had one. 2 skill checks for lvl10? There were several cases in the game where the speech check was not enough, the player had to choose the correct option as well. Why not here, why not make it a "combat" as well? Seemed really rushed.

I liked that the ending was pretty much unambiguously good, perhaps other than the threat of Liberty murdering Patriarch and getting away. Also, her fight was the hardest in the game, but only because the game forces you to stand in one place right at everybody else's shot, AND they get the first turn. They killed all my damage dealers right away and the rest of the fight was my medic running around reviving everyone except the tank.

All in all I can see why some locations / quests have been cut because even after the cuts, the game's complexity obviously was a bit too much for the devs as some things especially towards the end game are not as polished, some decisions are not taken into account or the consequences aren't shown properly. Wonder if the director's cut will ultimately solve these issues as well...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
what's the purpose of quick slots if it costs no action points to enter inventory during combat and put items into those slots?

also, deploying turrets was supposed to have a cooldown? because it briefly shows the number 3 over the turret in the quick slot, but it dissapears.

turrets make the the game too easy.

they're cheap, you can deploy them with no cooldown or number limit, have a tone of life and armor and draw enemy fire.

Yes, turrets are ridicously easy, but i think it just got hotfixed... my turrets have cooldown now.. so :D alot harder now

Cnaiur

Augur
Yeah, the rally skill was the only reason I even levelled charisma and leadership on 1 character. The 2AP bonus meant two 6ap sniper shots early/mid game, until you unlock more APs. But besides that it's pretty underwhelming.

Same feeling re. armor modding - got a char all the way up to 10 because on paper the party wide +5 armor sounds amazing. In reality, due to huge enemy damage output mid/late game the +5 means nothing.

Also regarding the fight with Liberty:
I loved that you could take over her heavy hitter drones with mechanics 10, made the fight a cakewalk - but in a good way

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah, armor is kinda of busted , energy weapons ignoring armor + a ton of late enemies using energy weapons is bad, it is still useful on the begining of the game on Supreme Jerk if you go for heavy armor. Having at least 5 of strength to get 20 armor plus on the begining on Supreme Jerk for more hitpoints and avoid one shots when evasion fails is good especially as on the begining of the game, unless you go all the way on speed, you wont have high evasion anyway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dude, I'm not guessing, I'm telling. Check for yourself, just buy that stack back, sell and again untill you'll see it.

LearnToRead. I'm not saying repeated buying/selling doesn't work. I am saying the 5% perk doesn't work for the stack as a single entity but for individual pieces of scrap.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some tips:
As it was stated before me, you can make specific ranger mules for Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Mapper (survival 10 perk), AND barter. Barter 10 on a mule is priceless at Ranger's HQ.

Interesting, I'm completely disregarding Weird Science weapons since they seem p. pointless so far. They're mostly about debuffing and CC while I can blast everything to oblivion in 2 turns. Also you mean the frozen squirrel single-target "rocket launcher"? That one seemed very dumb to me so I sold it right away. Anyway I'm getting to the stage where all combat starts to be stupid easy on Ranger. I guess those specialized weapons could be great on Supreme Jerk.

Btw I'd also recommend a Toaster Repair mule. Oh and I think the Mapper mule doesn't work if he's not travelling with you. Not sure tho.

Sloul

Savant
I am using another one, forgot the name, it's using energy ammo and costs 4 AP. I am using it on my brawler.
Btw brawler + weird science is the best combo for weird science imo, as you can equip the best helmets&armors.
Oh, and there is a mod to convert dmg to energy, I used it on my brawler's weapon. It's p.cool so far.
This can also be valuable on shotguns as they tend to have low pen.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
LearnToRead. I'm not saying repeated buying/selling doesn't work. I am saying the 5% perk doesn't work for the stack as a single entity but for individual pieces of scrap.

And I'll have to repeat what jackofshadows said. The barter perk does indeed work on the scrap stack as an individual item. When you get that huge amount of cash it'll be a x50 multiplier of the amount of scrap you had, since a single piece of scrap is $1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/719040/announcements/detail/2876066814684289525

Patch 1.1.0 Now Live
Co-op and stability fixes

Wasteland 3 Version 1.1.0

Please note: Co-op players should ensure their client versions match as mismatched clients can cause unforeseen issues. More info here.

Quests and Gameplay
  • Fixed issues that could cause character and quest progression to be lost
  • Fixed Fishlips’ encounter
  • Fixed an issue where some players would see an endlessly looping Ambush Site intro
  • The La Perla quest can now be completed
  • Polly and the Cyborg Chickens have been beefed up

Co-op
  • Fixed issues that could cause character and quest progression to be lost
  • Fixed multiple issues that could cause an infinite loading screen
  • Fixed a sync issue where the host and guest could see the Kodiak in different places after receiving a radio call
  • The host and guests will no longer get different radio calls on the world map
  • Resolved an issue where one player would only see a black screen while the other is watching the intro video
  • Resolved an issue whereby one player getting disconnected in character creation within Ranger HQ would cause the other player’s game to become unresponsive
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when a second player joins an in-progress conversation with Irv
  • Fixed a crash that could occur for the guest when talking with Hope Emerson

Stability
  • Fixed a possible freeze when approaching a specific robot in Broadmoor Heights
  • Fixed an issue where the UI could disappear if viewing the main menu for a long time

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

And I'll have to repeat what jackofshadows said. The barter perk does indeed work on the scrap stack as an individual item. When you get that huge amount of cash it'll be a x50 multiplier of the amount of scrap you had, since a single piece of scrap is $1.
And I have to repeat what I said myself - just today I got three separate auction messages after a single sale, worth 300 and 500 and 800 bucks. How does your theory explain that?

SoupNazi

Yeah, I sometimes get 2-3 separate messages after a single sale as well.

jackofshadows

Magister

And I have to repeat what I said myself - just today I got three separate auction messages after a single sale, worth 300 and 500 and 800 bucks. How does your theory explain that?
Single sale you mean stack of 3 items or? Regardless, game seeing stack of scrap as a single item, maybe it's a bug but for now it works like this.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Single sale you mean stack of 3 items or? Regardless, game seeing stack of scrap as a single item, maybe it's a bug but for now it works like this.

Single sale means a single press of the "Sell Junk" button. Three separate "auction" messages popped out afterwards.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
I think you're confusing junk and scrap. Scrap is a specific kind of junk item that you can get big stacks of. The barter perk gives a 5% chance to sell a single junk item for x50 its value. It doesn't matter if you pressed the sell all junk button or sold them one at a time, the game checks that 5% individually for every junk item you sold.
The scrap stack is treated as single junk item. Which means when you have 500 scrap as a single stack, and the barter perk happens to proc on that, you'll sell it for $25 000.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister

Single sale means a single press of the "Sell Junk" button. Three separate "auction" messages popped out afterwards.
Dude, are you for real? You could loot junk the whole game and then "press the button" at the end - that would be also "a single sale"? I meant SINGLE sale, when you click once on item and it sells. And game doesn't tell the difference between a single piece of junk and 1.5k scrap - that's why somebody got lucky and stack got multiplied. Anyway, the real problem is that item's value remain the same, devs have to do something with it.

Also yeah, as Dr.Faust said - you're probably confusing the terms, are you playing eng version?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think you're confusing junk and scrap. Scrap is a specific kind of junk item that you can get big stacks of. The barter perk gives a 5% chance to sell a single junk item for x50 its value. It doesn't matter if you pressed the sell all junk button or sold them one at a time, the game checks that 5% individually for every junk item you sold.
The scrap stack is treated as single junk item. Which means when you have 500 scrap as a single stack, and the barter perk happens to proc on that, you'll sell it for $25 00.
Yep, that's it. My bad jackofshadows.

jackofshadows

Magister
Finished completionist SJ run. First off, it was really fun, at least first ~half of the game. It would be more fun if it wasn't too easy; I mean, after you maxed out primary stats and skills (~14-15 lvl) you just shoot stuff and it dies. Barely any tactics involved if you start first (which is possible 99% of the time). If you start second in a tough fight - at least half of your squad dies which brings us to a VERY questionable mechanic: revive. It just not making any sense and fucks with immersion. If they couldn't deliver perma-death on release they should've at least went with nuXCOM root: you "stabilize" teammate in order to prevent getting incapacitated status but he remain down for the rest of the fight.

Sneak mechanic is also begging for improvements or even cutting out: sneak upon enemies for better position - nice, disable few turrets beforehand - also cool but wiping out half of enemy squad with a rocket launcher is too much or even one shot boss by sniper because you're also getting the first turn which like I said, matter a lot, obviously. Still, combat is fun while having close resemblance with nuXCOM/D:OS where devs clearly took some inspiration but that's fine because the result feels much better than it was in WL2.

They've also done some dumbling down: for some reason no inherited global map mechanic: no fuel, no supplies, nothing. You can ride around as long as you want provided you have skills for handling random encouters. By the way, the ability to run over enemies is awesome, especially vs scar collectors which are tend to move up in groups. And more importantly: items have no weight. Convinient, right? No, it's just dumb. I get that now you have a truck basically all the time but they were supposed to make so it have a huge trunk to put junk into. Managing inventory might be tedious but it must present in a game like this. As a result you don't have to think when looting even for a second: just click on "loot all" (wonder why they didn't make a hotkey for that) and sort it out later (good luck with that though).

Back to progression system: it's fucked up. The devs either have to cut skill points to 2 per level instead of 3 or cut XP income somehow. Maybe it has something with difficulty (more enemies? that'd mean more XP?) but after 2/3 of the game I'd scrached my head every time I leveled up: I had all the skills I wanted and I didn't even use "mule rangers" - had the idea too but there wasn't need in that. I mean, look at this:
cKGK9Jb.png
Not sure it was even properly min-maxed - maybe I'd invested extra skill into leadership instead of using utility item
The idea that you have bunch of specialists is nice, they just have to tune the execution.

Important side note: FUCK ANIMALS. I mean, as someone already said ITT: stay away from animal whispering. Animals are quite useful, especially with doubling their bonuses perk and possibility to abuse the shit out of the last perk (shoot your own pets to get sweet buff). But they're annoying af: always rushing forward making kiting impossible, their animations are SO SLOW that even having only two pets (and two robots which is a similiar story) I'd alt-tabed during their turn just like during infamous loading screens and as I said regarding revive - they're fuck with immersion too. The picture of a fucking rabbit finishing off huge vehicle in a jump attack is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen lately and I've played Larian games.

The story and the writing: I was pleasantly suprized. Don't get me wrong: the story is cliche af, some things doesn't make sense in retrospect and the writing has bunch of cringe/retarded stuff but overall that's fine. It's still well-edited, doesn't drag on and provide some entertaiment at the very least.

Soundtrack is nice but kinda... uneven, also quite often it is simply missing: silent dialogues and even locations. That'll be fixed I guess like many many other stuff: the game in a junky state right now.

Conclusion: it's a fine casual game for couch-gaming with a box of beer nearby. Wonder how co-op is implemented - probably it's even better that way (at least after some patches). For RPG-enthusiast it's a quite meh game. Better than WL2 almost in every way though.

Last edited:

vmar

Savant
Completely agree on the progression, I'd guess I'm about 60-70% through the game and I reached a point a few hours ago where level ups aren't exciting anymore, I have everything I want/need, and have every skill pretty much covered without using mules. I've been just putting points in random shit that I probably won't ever use.

I enjoy the combat but it definitely becomes way too easy. If you get to alpha strike you wipe half the enemy group in one turn, but if enemies attack first they 1 or 2 shot a couple of your rangers so then you end up playing a game of reviving and healing your downed rangers, then someone else gets 1 shot the next turn, repeat until combat ends, and it just feels silly. On the other hand you can trivialize any encounter with turrets, sawpups, decoys, etc.

I still like this game a lot despite some minor complaints. Only had a couple minor bugs, and 2 crashes when interacting with stuff on the world map.

edit: game crashed on startup after the latest hotfix. very nice

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom