Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just finished now aswell, clocking in about 40 hours, a tad more. Up to now my Goty 2020, although there wasn't terribly much competition due to the virus. I think the only other 2020 rpgs I played were FFVII:RE and Vagrus. I generally stopped buying Early Access games so it was a very dry year, as I owned all games coming out of EA, while not buying new ones in EA.
As I moved closer to the finish lines more problems became apparent. The loading screens were absolutely fine for normal play, but when you return to speak to the patriarch after a long quest in Colorado to see if he has new Dialogue you have to get through like 4 loading screens? Insanely annoying when each takes 1 minute. Also the end game weapons were distincitly lacking, and the balance was all kinds of fucked. Enemies, normal humans, had 6000 health while my Tank hat 1000. Still 2000 damage 80% accuracy sniper rifles with two shots per turn took care of it.
For me this is 7.5-8 out of 10, a good above average game in one of the weakest years of rpg gaming currently.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Btw. should I recruit the random companions the dude is offering me in my base? I actually like to use normal companions I meet on my travels with an actual back story to them in my RPGs but here it seems like I am expected to go with some of these random ones.

SoupNazi

Btw. should I recruit the random companions the dude is offering me in my base? I actually like to use normal companions I meet on my travels with an actual back story to them in my RPGs but here it seems like I am expected to go with some of these random ones.
Make your own to fill out your squad right away, you're most likely going to need to have a 6 man squad unless you're playing the easier difficulties. The premade rangers are leveled suboptimally and not worth it, so make customs. You can replace them with the people you meet anytime.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why pre-made heroes are always leveled bad? Same problem here, same in Pathfinder.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not as good as Genesis's but at least it's not Disturbed's.

Why pre-made heroes are always leveled bad? Same problem here, same in Pathfinder.
They're built for role playing, not roll playing.

chemicalnatzy

Novice
Am I the only one who finds it weird there are no portraits during dialogue?
Also I don't understand what happened to the close up animations of NPCs. I understand they did it to the most important NPC's but there are not as many. I think Fallout had more talking heads.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Imrahil

Educated
The music in this game is phenomenal. I don't normally even notice the soundtrack in most games, but when it plays it fits the encounters & environments perfectly.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also I don't understand what happened to the close up animations of NPCs. I understand they did it to the most important NPC's but there are not as many. I think Fallout had more talking heads.
what!??

reached lvl 11 and asked for my money back.

I'll dig deep to the elbow in the bargain bin after the super-duper mega-deluxe final & ultimate balanced & exploit-free version comes out.
maybe

How long did it take you to beat?

Shit man I don't know and if there's a place that tells you I can't find it, think I took like 30-40 ish hours? Plus 6 or 7 more from the first failed playthrough. I did all I could and found 13 out of 15 creepy dolls. Also if anyone knows the song that plays when you
fight Angela Deth if you side with the Patriarch during the final fight
hit me up

Tundra outfit best outfit. Trooper armor best (looking) armor

I don't have to answer that question I pledge the fifth, you can't tell me nothing I found the toaster academy
I got one fierce golden toaster with me

guestposting

Educated
^Best writeup so far, would second almost everything.

Except a tiny correction to the point about the lack of blatant agenda-based writing. The stuff with the Gippers was not just blatant, it was beyond blatant. But as I said, not currentyear woke but old-guard libtard, and even that is appreciated by this point.

Also one thing I don't like is how you can't respec and your RPCs have retarded stat distribution more often than not.

The Gippers are not actual Reaganites, though. They worship the pageantry of the Reagan administration more than any policy. As Reagan’s talking car later points out, he was a good Christian who would’ve abhorred anyone who worshipped him as a god.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wasteland 3 is really starting to grown on me. The first 4-6 hours are rough but once the game gets going it is definitely a clear improvement over the 2nd game, I think.

Snow aesthetic is still boring tho.

vmar

Savant
Encountered a game breaking bug at end game, apparently if you accidentally destroy the door to
Liberty's compund
it becomes impossible to open so I can't progress. I was kinda just wanting to finish the game by the time I got to Yuma so I went in guns blazing and killed the shit out of everything, must have destroyed the door with a rocket or something.

What a bummer, I was really enjoying wl3. I'm still gonna replay it again but I really wanted to see the ending.

:negative:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I confess that I am a storyfag but I have to say that I personally don't find the story that interesting.
It is cool to see that there is a lot of choice in who to aid and side with but the stuff regarding the Patriarch and his kids and the reveal that Angela Deth is still around... Let me say that I do think this storyline is "functional" for a PA game (who are you going to side with) and I am not saying that Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout New Vegas+DLCs really had the best of storylines/main quest goals.
Still I found the reveal of the Master and his Super Mutants, the Enclave, and quite some of the stuff of FNV still quite exciting while with Wasteland 3 I more feel "Okay there we have it".

There is some interesting stuff here and there (I like the machine commune) but I had hoped that the Patriarch stuff would have been a build-up to something of a larger scope.

I read about this faction called the Faders on the Wasteland 3 wiki, clones that are the result of some pre war project to create super soldiers better adapted to a cold environment. I know that an army of genetic engineered soldiers are rather cliche when it comes to PA settings these days but I still thought that it would be cool to encounter these guys and had kind of hoped that they would have been revealed to be the big threat kind of like Cochise was the player would learn about while doing the jobs for the Patriarch

Definitely a game I should play for the gameplay and not the storyline.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I confess that I am a storyfag but I have to say that I personally don't find the story that interesting.

Story is one of the few things W3 does better than W2. I don't think I could survive another stale tale about crazy rogue AI.

I do agree on that with you. I am not even sure if it was wise to bring Cochise back in Wasteland 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom