Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol. Was selling junk and apparently I "found an antique" which "sold at auction for 155.000 colorado dollarros". 10 luck I guess. I'm in the end game so don't really care, but that would have made the game even easier than it already is if it happened earlier.

Say, didn't that happen with the Bargain Clown merchant in the Lecherito's HQ? Coz I just had an auction with him for 223 000 dorra. :kfc:

SoupNazi

Lol. Was selling junk and apparently I "found an antique" which "sold at auction for 155.000 colorado dollarros". 10 luck I guess. I'm in the end game so don't really care, but that would have made the game even easier than it already is if it happened earlier.

Say, didn't that happen with the Bargain Clown merchant in the Lecherito's HQ? Coz I just had an auction with him for 223 000 dorra.
Nah, it was at the Mechanic's shop, so a bit earlier than Lecherito's. But at least it was also very late game for you.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Really liked Wasteland 2, I'm sure I'll like Wasteland 3 too. But right now, just can't bring myself to really give it a go.

Mainly because of the dialogue system, I hate the way dialogue is presented. I could swallow the lack of a visible dialogue box. But being limited to seeing just three options at a time is really aggravating the heck out of me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, done and done. Ranger diff., did everything I could find. Almost exactly 50 hours.

Structurally it's p. much the same game as W2 and overall both are equally fun. This is exactly the kind of game I've always loved - a big, epic, turn-based, party-based RPG. There's just nothing better for a real gamer to play. It's the ultimate genre/subgenre.

Pros and cons:
- together with Mankind Divided it's the best writing coming from a Western developer in the last 5 years. Which again raises the question, what the fuck happened with Numanuma. Same dev, almost the same writing team. Wtf.
- audio is stellar, not just the music but I felt like the sound design (gunshots, splosions) are often better than in FP shooters
- combat is a lot of fun but the difficulty is not tuned well, on Ranger the second half was mostly a cakewalk and the final boss fight was an absolute joke, especially if you equip your Kodiak with the cluster bomb mod. It was over in two turns. TWO. TURNS.
- the only difficulty bump was the general squishiness of my toons but that might've something to do with me treating Strength as a dump stat. Ten again my melee dude with maxed Str, clad in the best armor, was more resilient but not by much so not sure if it's a good idea to waste so many points on Str with relatively small benefits
- the economy is handled very well. One of the rare games where halfway through you aren't so rich you could buy the entire world twice over.
- very good itemization, again very rare for a developer to nail this so well, or at all.
- game is incredibly stable, considering the genre and the developer. Wasteland 2 was one of the most broken RPGs in history on launch. There are some glitches in W3 but nothing terrible.
- visually the game doesn't look great. Personally I don't give a shit but it needs to be said. Wasteland 2 looks comparable and it's 5 years older.
- I hated the overland travel with Kodiak. The world is mostly empty and boring and the movement is slow. A pointless feature that only manages to waste your time.
- the fame and reputation system is nice for RP but gameplay-wise completely pointless. Too bad, a good idea but utterly wasted.
- the UI is consolitized decline. A shamefur dispray.
- animal pets are a bit overboosted. An angry chicken can solo an entire commando squad in power armor. Wtf.
- instead of respec the game let's you create infinite new toons. Bad solution. Respec, albeit reasonably limited, would be vastly preferable. This is not fucking XCOM, inXile, snap out of it.

Anyway, it's inXile so in a year or so we'll get a Director's Cut with better tuning and hopefully some additional content.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Already planning my SJ run.

What do you think, sneaky shit on your sniper or heavy gunner? Meaning, is it better to open with a sniper shot or a rocket? I did former my first run but maybe opening with a rocket is better? After all rocket launchers have almost the same base damage as sniper rifles so you can potentially whack a bunch of dudes before the fight begins instead of just one.

jackofshadows

Magister
Meaning, is it better to open with a sniper shot or a rocket?
What is better: squash just one dude or 3-5 dudes? With perks even w/o crit opening rocket deals immense amount of damage and with... To be honest, I could even advise against this approach in order to not trivialize the game too much.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meaning, is it better to open with a sniper shot or a rocket?
What is better: squash just one dude or 3-5 dudes? With perks even w/o crit opening rocket deals immense amount of damage and with... To be honest, I could even advise against this approach in order to not trivialize the game too much.
On paper a rocket is obviously better. Reason I ask is I didn't give my rocketeer sneaky shit so I didn't test it.

Like, the entire game I thought sniper crits are bugged, I was doing 5k+ damage on my opening shots. Are you seeing the same numbers with rockets?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, it's inXile so in a year or so we'll get a Director's Cut with better tuning and hopefully some additional content.

I've already said this, but you shouldn't assume this will be the case.

Almost every isometric RPG "Director's Cut" or "Enhanced Edition" or "Definitive Edition" that we've seen (not just from inXile) has been released with the excuse of having it also be the game's multiplatform console release. That gives the developers an extra incentive to improve the game. But Wasteland 3 is already on consoles.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
together with Mankind Divided it's the best writing coming from a Western developer in the last 5 years. Which again raises the question, what the fuck happened with Numanuma. Same dev, almost the same writing team. Wtf.

Looks like lessons were learned. Also likely helps that Colin wasn't the lead.

- the economy is handled very well. One of the rare games where halfway through you aren't so rich you could buy the entire world twice over.

I see you didn't abuse the barter perk that lets you get unlimited money by selling and rebuying junk over and over again for that 5% chance on each junk item of getting a big payoff. :lol:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

What do you think, sneaky shit on your sniper or heavy gunner? Meaning, is it better to open with a sniper shot or a rocket? I did former my first run but maybe opening with a rocket is better? After all rocket launchers have almost the same base damage as sniper rifles so you can potentially whack a bunch of dudes before the fight begins instead of just one.

Why heavy gunner? Seems to me there's not a whole lot of incentive to raise explosives on heavy gunner. Fire/Weird Science/Toasters seem like a better compliment. On the other hand, a Small Guns char with Draw can reload and fire the rocket for 4 AP...

jackofshadows

Magister
On paper a rocket is obviously better. Reason I ask is I didn't give my rocketeer sneaky shit so I didn't test it.

Like, the entire game I thought sniper crits are bugged, I was doing 5k+ damage on my opening shots. Are you seeing the same numbers with rockets?
Reason I answered because I have had sneak + explosion girl and damage she usually did was enough to one shot Reagan's statue so judge for yourself. She also had max INT and LUCK for big grenade blasts as well or opening with them (one time I saw 3k mega crit with the very basic grenade from stealth).

Btw it was weird to see the "economy is handled very well" remark in your post because even broken perk aside the possibility of making a mule barter ranger to sell tons of useless gear for insane amount of $ alone makes it... "not very well" in my book.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spotted by Roguey - Wasteland 3's main writer Nathan Long credits George Ziets for the game's overall concept and world:

An exchange between George and Zed:

SoupNazi

I had explosives on brawler, who also had some sneaky shit. I found using the sniper more even though they did similar damage (2k+) on opening shots, because it almost always seemed more important to take out 1 valuable/strong target for sure, than take out 3-4 weaker units. But I didn't exactly take notes or work hard on actually minmaxing my builds, so YMMV.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw it was weird to see the "economy is handled very well" remark in your post because even broken perk aside the possibility of making a mule barter ranger to sell tons of useless gear for insane amount of $ alone makes it... "not very well" in my book.

And in my book one exploit that will likely be fixed doesn't mean the overall economy system isn't well balanced. We just have different books, is ok.

Why heavy gunner? Seems to me there's not a whole lot of incentive to raise explosives on heavy gunner. Fire/Weird Science/Toasters seem like a better compliment.

Well you need Big Guns for flamethrowers anyway so your fire guy IS a heavy gunner.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the possibility of making a mule barter ranger to sell tons of useless gear for insane amount of $ alone makes it... "not very well" in my book.

It seems to me like if you're going to sacrifice a character's combat effectiveness in favor of being a great merchant, then that better be worthwhile. I'd rather have a useful barter skill than a useless one (though sure they need to look into flagging all junk sold as already-appraised so it no longer has that 5% chance of selling bigly).

jackofshadows

Magister
the possibility of making a mule barter ranger to sell tons of useless gear for insane amount of $ alone makes it... "not very well" in my book.
It seems to me like if you're going to sacrifice a character's combat effectiveness in favor of being a great merchant, then that better be worthwhile. I'd rather have a useful barter skill than a useless one (though sure they need to look into flagging all junk sold as already-appraised so it no longer has that 5% chance of selling bigly).
By "mule ranger" I meant base stationed extra ranger whose only purpose is to have barter skill and be used as a trader. Same for modding skills. I didn't actually do it because skill points are plentiful, not to mention that'd be tedious to bring him in every distant vendor but afaik, it's possible.

Tbf, the game has some amount of barter dialogue checks but the rewards are quite underwelming. Even passing seemed over the top at the time Fargo's 6 barter check is giving you... 200 bucks.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Rockets do insane damage especially if you bee line to max out sneak shit for the last perk and automatic crits from that explosives perk, one shot half the enemies if they are unware, it is so OP that made Ranger boring as fuck but as Supreme Jerk is just ridiculous with HP inflation, you will need it. Snipers are better after the fight started and you dont have the sneak bonus anymore, snipers hit so hard anyway that the 300% damage from sneak shit is way overkill for a single target.

vmar

Savant
It sucks that the last save I could revert to is at the beginning of Aspen, but guess I'm just gonna speed through all that stuff again to get to Yuma and actually see the ending. That'll be quicker than restarting anyway. I'm kicking myself for not making another separate save when I got to Yuma.

I will avoid that goddamn door like the plague this time.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I re-bought Wasteland 3 because it seems I have a love-hate relationship with this game.
I guess the music tilted the balance.

So, is this game gonna be Codex's RPG of the year?
Who are the other contenders?

SoupNazi

By the way, what happens with The Prisoner in case of his release?
All I got was a line from the warden (Holly?) that she has a bad feeling about releasing him. I didn't run into him at all. But I assume that's just me missing something, because other than that, all my choices have had consequences...

jackofshadows

Magister
All I got was a line from the warden (Holly?) that she has a bad feeling about releasing him. I didn't run into him at all. But I assume that's just me missing something, because other than that, all my choices have had consequences...
That's a little funny because I didn't release him right away and only during the end sequence when the warden said something like "it's your call obviously but maybe we should release him? We don't know what crimes he actually commit after all". So I did it for luls but wasn't suprized that haven't seen the consequenses because game was basically over at that point.
I found its design odd as hell. I mean, basically game's offer you to avoid another massacre by going through... the other massacre? Maybe I got that wrong though because I was intended to finish the game already so I cleared the whole warehouse before Liberty's room and when saw the message about "no turning back" decided to turn around and see the two other sub-locations. I even discover game-breaking bug that way: in case of lifting down corpse from the hill when you enter start location supposedly there cut-scene which never begins.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm enjoying the game, I still have to finish it but impressions so far:

Positive stuff:

-The best thing so far is level design, the loot is a mix of random and hand placed loot, there are some strategic hand placed loot that reward exploration with interesting weapons that are fun to use. The encounters are unique with enemies doing their shit and doing banter with each other, each area have different unique encounters and enemies having different abilities. I really enjoyed the Los Payasos fights very much for example. The amount of "here there are some countless amounts of generic robots/mutants trash mobs, have fun" that Wastland 2 had was greatly reduced this time.

- The stat checks are everywhere, on plenty of encounters, you can discover hidden paths, alternative routes for better positioning or to gain an advantage by passing stat checks. Simple things like hacking a console to poison a horde of mutants and reduce their HP in half to give you a fighting chance or just hacking a computer to activate a laser to toast the enemies and avoid an entire encounter.

- I'm far from getting all the companions but the ones I had so far are very talkative with some really interesting moments like Kown pretty much knowing all prostitutes on every place you go.

- There was a greater effort this time to make unique weapons classes, Heavy Machine guns are really inacurate and are greatly benefited from Awareness, hand guns and shotguns, especially handguns with snap shot, are greatly benefited from luck as they fire often so the chances for those mega crits are much greater also extra penetration, snipers are greatly benefited from intelligence, speed is pretty much mandatory for melee builds. There is an interaction fo each gun type with different attributes, what make different interesting builds possible. Perks is yet another level of build making.

- There are a ton of faction choices and different ways to finish quests what greatly improves replayability.

- I also liked how you can use your tank on some encounters and you can actually move it around.

- I liked how the game is hands off this time and doesnt try to railroad you so much like Wasteland 2 did.

Negative stuff:

- There are some really questionable design decisions, especially the removal of initiative, I think this was a bad idea. On Wasteland 2, initiative was way too OP and I understand you decoupling it from attributes as it is difficult to balance it, however, taking it out of the game completely was a mistake. The problem is, with team initiative, your team can dish out insane amounts of damage if you get the first turn and the enemy team can also dish out insane amounts of damage if they get the first turn before you can do anything, so pretty much, 99% of the time, if you get the first turn, you win. If the enemy get the first turn, half of your squad is incapacitated on the first turn.

- The problem of the lack of initiative is also compounded by how squishy your rangers are, even behind cover with tons of armor, enemies have no problem of one shotting you at ranger difficulty, I think there should be a sharper reduction on accuracy across longer ranges (I think only the best snipers or missile launchers should give you that huge accuracy across the map, with barrel mods for range, sniper rifles become even more insane, that should be later game stuff) , especially for rocket launchers and snipers or cover should receive some kind of damage mitigation bonus.

- They also didnt fix the armor system, on Wasteland 2, you were punished for using armor with no gains for it, same here, armor is quite useless, energy weapons ignore it, snipers, machineguns and some melee weapons have insane penetration and unless you have ultra high armor, even there, you will only be protected from low penetration guns.

- All this compounds into making the combat of Wasteland 2 formulaic, what is a shame as there was effort on encounter design, you alpha strike and kill half the enemy group on the first turn or you die, this is even worse on Supreme Jerk.

- I also didnt like how you can revive a party member, they can get up and keep fighting, I gave first aid to everyone, so, when they fallen, I just revived them and they were in full health pretty much right afterwards. I think this is a bone thrown to the normies that will have a hard time with the game but this cheapens the combat so much. I think revived team members should only be accessible again after the fight was over.

Lemming42

Arcane
Really enjoying this so far, working my way throug the Gippers vs Machine Commune vs Godfishers clusterfuck. The game is fantastic at reacting to you doing sometimes contradictory things, and acknowledging your actions via dialogue.

Combat does feel a little streamlined compared to Wasteland 2 but honestly I think it's a lot more quick and satisfying than in WL2. Some other streamlined stuff, like having a shared party inventory, is just good design sense IMO.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why heavy gunner? Seems to me there's not a whole lot of incentive to raise explosives on heavy gunner. Fire/Weird Science/Toasters seem like a better compliment.

Well you need Big Guns for flamethrowers anyway so your fire guy IS a heavy gunner.

But Explosive is a separate damage type - different from Fire (which is supported by Weird Science).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom