Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Takamori

Learned
Had enough time to play 3 hours, the only beef that I had so far is the fucking way too long loading times and I'm using SSD.
Game looks much better compared to W2, the rpg system pruned the right stuff IMO.
I kinda hate they nerfed the combined attack ambush, where you could select all squad and focus fire one enemy before engagement, but it was busted for certain situations and sneaky shit kinda compensate the damage loss.
They removed the perma squaddie death, so just stock on steroids and go ham since you have 0 risk of losing someone, hope they review this because squad death it was something to take into account in engagements in Wasteland 2.
Well I'm going to keep playing its palatable so far.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They removed the perma squaddie death, so just stock on steroids and go ham since you have 0 risk of losing someone, hope they review this because squad death it was something to take into account in engagements in Wasteland 2.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1317

Posthumous Permadeath
A few of the more hardcore among you have asked us for permadeath in Wasteland 3. We actually went back and forth quite a bit on this as an option, mainly because we knew the amount of development work it would need. When you can welcome story critical NPCs into your party, and approach the game content in essentially any order, and those critical story NPCs can permanently die from anywhere in the story… it’s a lot to account for. So, we are working on permadeath, but because of the additional effort, this is going to be a post-launch feature we’ll patch in for the hardcore among you for your second or third playthroughs.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_764fd72f5b1944b6a40ee7d31ae5de30~mv2.png

Takamori

Learned
Also can you add custom portraits?

noois8d.png

Is this a bug because see above... Where are you getting this idea INT does increase SP when it quite concretely states that it does? Unless it only applies at level one? The description isn't terribly clear unfortunately.
This means bonus points on character creation.

(And no it's not a bug. Look at skill point requirements for rising skill from level 7 to 8.)
Edit: Maxing skill in WL3 needs 28. WL2 needs 44. The skill point costs are adjusted to reduced skill point gain because they made everyone average brain average skill person.

That kinda sucks, all my rangers have at least 4 int since I wanted the extra skill points in level up, guess I should had taken that quirk where you lose Con gain per level for extra 2 SP per level up

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1269

Custom Portraits
This one wasn’t so much a Beta request as a question we get from time to time, and we can confirm that custom portraits are in, and they are spectacular. This is a PC-only feature that allows you to create, name, and once again add a custom face to each of your squad members. Might we recommend a squad made entirely of your family and friends? Or the various ingredients in a ham and cheese sandwich?

However you choose to roleplay your squad, custom portraits can help put on a finishing touch.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_cba4f2545a4d42558031c847494e6df6~mv2.png

Custom portraits should be 420x337px as either a JPG or PNG and placed into a self-created folder named: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Wasteland3\Custom Portraits\

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sEg0OjC.png

When a name a girl had whole elementary school is too offensive for WL3.
This has to be a troll, right? Is this a real screenshot from the game?
It is a troll. Devs got you good.

Eh, it's consistent with canon. Even Wasteland 1988 had weapons like the Proton Ax and the Ion Beamer, robots with lots of flashing lights and glowing radiation everywhere. Cartoonish sci-fi effects are to be expected.
How does it compare to wasteland 2?
Huh? You mean how does Wasteland 1988 compare to Wasteland 2? There's threads about Wasteland 1, go ask there.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
no i mean how 3 compares to 2 in case you have tried 3.
From 3 hours of streamers...
Tighter story, less freedom in the beginning. But it feels bit too much US centric.
Basically, from what I watched, I have the same feeling like from Far Cry 5. It's something in US, they are referring to some US mythology, it's some problem that would only US people care about.

Shooting and combat simulation felt simplistic in WL2, in comparison to FO2, and WL3 didn't make it notably better.

Better graphic than WL2.
There are some interesting enjoyable characters.

You'd need to wait few days until someone would finish it, and bitch about massive flaws.

Xeon

Augur
Game feels pretty polished, more QoL stuff then WL2, in combat.

Kinda sucks I had to to make 2 characters instead of one, since I kinda liked starting with one character in WL2 and then recruiting the other characters then. Kinda wondering if I picked one of the premade characters if they have more content to them or just premade stats and play pretend.

Also always wish if I wasn't a ranger.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kinda wondering if I picked one of the premade characters if they have more content to them or just premade stats and play pretend.

Most reviews seem to suggest that there isn't a great deal of unique content to the premades, it mostly seems to be limited to occasional banter in certain areas.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1269

Custom Portraits
This one wasn’t so much a Beta request as a question we get from time to time, and we can confirm that custom portraits are in, and they are spectacular. This is a PC-only feature that allows you to create, name, and once again add a custom face to each of your squad members. Might we recommend a squad made entirely of your family and friends? Or the various ingredients in a ham and cheese sandwich?

However you choose to roleplay your squad, custom portraits can help put on a finishing touch.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_cba4f2545a4d42558031c847494e6df6~mv2.png

Custom portraits should be 420x337px as either a JPG or PNG and placed into a self-created folder named: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Wasteland3\Custom Portraits\

No such folder on gamepass. Can't even trace the executable.

That's what I thought. All fake choices. It's cringy when they're all so obvious.
You'd probably get some XP from it just because it's a passed skill check. I euthanized her but I forget if I got goodies out of it. Some skill checks will bite you in the ass though, first time you talk to the Patriarch you can say his hands are shaking and ask if he's got nerve damage if you pass a medical check, and you get negative opinion with him if you do. Even before I clicked it I was thinking "Gee, this should really do something negative given how this guy behaves" and I was pleasantly surprised they didn't just give you a cookie. 'course that might be the only time something like that happens during the game.

That kinda sucks, all my rangers have at least 4 int since I wanted the extra skill points in level up, guess I should had taken that quirk where you lose Con gain per level for extra 2 SP per level up
I'm still not too sure about Poindexter. The extra skill points are nice but that's a significant chunk of HP. I've got a few characters with it in my party and they nearly get krumped in a single round of combat, really fucking dangerous if I'm not the one starting off combat encounters in a favorable spot.

You have to make the Custom Portraits folder. If there's no Wasteland3 folder in My Games for you then I dunno what to tell you, but Custom Portraits doesn't exist until you make it. The game also won't recognize portraits you put in there unless the files are already in the folder before the game is launched, so you can't just toss some pictures in while alt-tabbed out.

Zyondyne

Learned
Potato PC representative is back!

Tried it for 10 minutes or so and it runs surprisingly well on 1080p and medium-low settings on a laptop with:

Nvidia 940MX 2GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, I5 7200u. - Basically a toaster that can run Excel and sometimes PowerPoint too!

Didn't encounter any loading screens yet in the little time I spent with it (so I can't tell it how bad they are on HDD) and I have the suspicion that after the first level, when the world opens up, the game will not run as great. Maybe not even playable.

Maybe I'll play some more to confirm this theory.

Btw, it overheats my laptop like crazy, but most games do. It's an old dusty laptop after all.

chemicalnatzy

Novice
Curious if anybody with a potato PC/laptop played it and could tell us how it runs.

Judging by the fact that the game uses Unity and how well "optimized" inXile past games were, I wouldn't expect miracles, but still.
I can say that on my laptop with Nvidia 710m where I played Disco Elysium without problems it doesn't run very good with everything turned down. Wasteland 2 was running just fine.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I'm still not too sure about Poindexter. The extra skill points are nice but that's a significant chunk of HP. I've got a few characters with it in my party and they nearly get krumped in a single round of combat, really fucking dangerous if I'm not the one starting off combat encounters in a favorable spot.

You have to make the Custom Portraits folder. If there's no Wasteland3 folder in My Games for you then I dunno what to tell you, but Custom Portraits doesn't exist until you make it. The game also won't recognize portraits you put in there unless the files are already in the folder before the game is launched, so you can't just toss some pictures in while alt-tabbed out.

No my games folder on gamepass.

agris

Arcane
Patron
My Games isn’t a game pass particular folder, but rather a Windows OS folder.

You likely need to level up your PC skills.

Dodo1610

Arcane
After 8h I am really impressed. This is one of the best isometric RPG I have played in years.
The game finally has a good character editor, why doesn't every game have a height a body slider. Combat is definitely better than Wasteland 2, you finally have a good reason to use guns that aren't snipers and assault rifles. Story and writing so far are well made but nothing special. But the Wastelands 3's ´start is great it explains the gameplay and creates a great atmosphere. RPG mechanics are sadly weak, only intelligence really affect skills since it gives you more skill points making low int characters absolutely useless outside of combat.
Am I missing something or are a lot of mechanics not explained this game really could use some tooltips. And I am pretty sure some buffs and bonuses aren't working as intended at the moment but aside from that, it's probably the most polished CRPG released in ages.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Graphics are mediocre, barely better than wasteland 2, that's the first impression I'm getting from the gamepass version.

Quick question, anyone know if playing with pre made duos brings more character interaction or it just premade characters with no flavor?

Phinx

Augur
How is the weapon jamming in this one? Wasteland 2's constant weapon jamming drove me to alt-f4 on several occasions. Also, is it worth the price of admission for someone that felt Wasteland 2 was missing that thing that kind of just sucks you into the game, and makes you want to keep playing even if you should have been in bed over an hour ago.

user

Savant
Nope. You can't play solo... Except if you get your second character killed and never again use a doctor... pfff...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom