Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Did a thread-wide search for "log" and apparently I'm the only one bothered by the lack of a combat log in this game. It's such a basic feature I've come to expect it of turn-based tactics games, but apparently the console focus of the game didn't allow for it to be included. :negative:

Antigoon

Augur
Sure it would be a nice thing, but I don't think the rather simplistic W3 combat really requires one. Most fights are pretty much over after your first turn, at least it was like that for the release version.

Latelistener

Arcane
I remember that it had something like that. There are also logs on the map screen, which are probably the same thing, but you can scroll through it.

34-update17_33.png

Barbarian

Arcane
I had been waiting for the DLC but broke down and started it anyway. I'm noticing T(y)ranny levels of Smrt Strnk Wahmens and dumb/psycho males.

You sure bro? I'm quite sensitive to wokeness and don't remember being aggravated by much.

If anything the portrayal of latinos as dumb psychotic gangsters could be considered "offensive" by the woke brigade, just the same as native americans portrayal in Wasteland 2. Ironclad Cordite is also a walking stereotype.

There is Angela Deth... but she has been a strong independent wymmin for decades now. Lucia and Jodie could be characters from a movie from the 60s or 70s.

Barbarian

Arcane
I remember that lesbian couple in W2, met in a garage in Arapaho. That was both in your face and out of place.

Like some purple haired intern came up to Fargo and mentioned that the game just needed a homo couple somewhere and he obliged.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I haven't left Colorado Springs yet and I've met the refugee leader, the Sheriff, the old lady matron, the gunslinger chick companion, and the jailor hire so far for femmes and heard news of the slaver wahmen. One wussy traitor dude you can kill or spare, the beastmaster dude and shroom head in the brig on the dumb male side.

I'm going to have to roll a full custom team of Pipehitters, too. Stock looks like a collection of Antifa mugshots.

Acrux

Arcane
It's more woke than W2, but most of the time it doesn't hit over the top levels.

On the one hand, you're literally working for the Patriarchy, but can take him out if you want to.
And Angela's plan to do so makes her look like "current year" levels of hypocrisy when it comes to wanting to take him out - supporting a literal slaver in doing so.

Yes, there are stonk wombyn, but there's plenty of strong men as well. The Patriarch and his crew - especially Kwon and Greatski - come across as competent.
The refugee leader woman is one of the whiniest characters I've ever come across in a game. She and her group had no argument for why they should get to stay there other than a very modern "it's not fair" that the Rangers should take over. They seemed like a pretty controversial take for a company to take on refugees in 2020, since they're not necessarily portrayed in a positive way.
Lucia is a kid who is essentially the girl from True Grit. She's a young idealist who's about to find out why she shouldn't be.

Overall, though, I agree that it's trending in a more woke direction, but I never felt like the game was trying to have a "message".

And yes, the portraits are terrible. I'm using one of the W2 portrait collection mods and pulling some normal looking people out of it.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Yes, it is quite ironic that siding with the Patriarch is better than siding with Angela and her black slaver/raider ally(lol yes, slaver leader is black - you have to break him from jail). They kind of ruined Angela as a character though. She went from being the oldest, most competent and loyal ranger(and the last surviving member of the original crew) to what essentially amounts to teenager levels of angst and retardation. She was more a middle-aged immature antifa dumbo than a veteran ranger in this portrayal.

If anyone here hasn't played this yet, her plan is basically to get together all the raider and slaver gangs in colorado in order to oust an effective but very flawed ruler - the results are as disastrous as you would expect

I got the "november reigns" ending on my second playthrough and enjoyed it quite a bit. Thing is that it is unlikely you will get it if you play the game blind, hence it is better to go after it on a replay. You basically cut short Deth's retardation and manage to resolve the situation in a way that serves the Rangers best interests while also mantaining Colorado somewhat orderly.

Acrux

Arcane
About Angela:

I'm convinced she must be a synth in W3. At the very beginning of the game, you can mention something about thinking she was in California, and it's sort of glossed over with "no she came back to Arizona and Wade sent her here". That seems kind of off to me.

Her plan absolutely makes no sense, unless she's trying to undermine stability in the area.

There's almost nothing about synths in W3, despite being the focus of the previous games. I think the DLC might be more focused on them and show consequences of Angela's "plan".

Last edited:

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've started this recently. Having a great fucking time with it.

However: I'm a few hours in, cleared the Garden of the Gods, few other Colorado Springs sidequests including some grumpy mechanics and starting to fill out my base staff. Is W3 a bit easy? I'm thinking about bumping the difficulty level but sunre if I'm still just playing in the children's pool, quest wise. Thoughts?

Context: I'm a reasonable nuXCOM player - maybe play on hard when I play XCOM.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

However: I'm a few hours in, cleared the Garden of the Gods, few other Colorado Springs sidequests including some grumpy mechanics and starting to fill out my base staff. Is W3 a bit easy? I'm thinking about bumping the difficulty level but until if I'm still just playing in the children's pool, quest wise. Thoughts?

It's not that difficult. As long as you get the first turn, you have a very high chance of winning. There are a few bullshit situations with some kamikaze enemies here and there.
There was one fight were I got completely trampled, but that was a world map fight. Enemies one shot my entire party, so I obviously had no business being in that area to begin with.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its generally easy because Alpha Strike trumps all in W3.

When a strong enemy force gets their first turn... you'll suffer.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its generally easy because Alpha Strike trumps all in W3.

When a strong enemy force gets their first turn... you'll suffer.
Pretty much WL2 all over again, initiative uber alles

Not really. You don't need initiative now, you need to open combat with an alpha shot/rocket or pick aggressive dialogue options to get the first move.
The party of whoever is the aggressor gets the 1st round.

His Dudeness

Augur
Don't know what they put on this game. The UI is shit, default controls seem to be made by someone who never played an RPG, the world map is limiting as hell and locations are for the most part small and quasi lineal.

Taking all this into consideration, it's the most fun I had with a game, let alone an RPG, in a long time.

Good stuff, 7/10.

Barbarian

Arcane
Have they actually mentioned anything about the direction of upcoming dlc(s)? I'm curious if they will add cut content or actually go for a "new" main quest.

I mean adding Kansas makes a lot of sense. If they don't plan to use it was a setting for W4 that is.

Acrux

Arcane
Not a word about the content so far. I know that Brian Fargo had said several months ago that they are "expansion packs" and not DLC in his mind. I really want it to be in Kansas. And there's already the concept of "Bleeding Kansas" from the American Civil War that they could draw from, and that would parallel themes from W3 pretty well.

But, we'll probably get the unused content and new outfits no one cares about.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
At this point I've completed Garden, Mini Vegas, Bizarre (and environs), rail station, and just hit Denver, playing 'Ranger' difficulty. Freed but dismissed Cordite from bunker. It seems that between the joinable companions and available recruits, the game tries pretty hard to make sure you don't have every skill covered w/o at least one retrain.

For all the well deserved abuse heaped upon FO:The Frontier for it's rampant degeneracy-trying-to-be-funny, this game is freaking drowning in it.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

However: I'm a few hours in, cleared the Garden of the Gods, few other Colorado Springs sidequests including some grumpy mechanics and starting to fill out my base staff. Is W3 a bit easy? I'm thinking about bumping the difficulty level but sunre if I'm still just playing in the children's pool, quest wise. Thoughts?

I know a lot of people rated this post "YES!" but now that I'm out of Colorado Springs I've found that the difficulty has increased a bit. It's not immensely difficult but between the decent encounter design (unlike many other CRPGs this game seems to mostly only include encounters that are meaningfully novel or different from those before - the number of trash mobs is pretty low) and the the fact that I'm now doing level appropriate quests it's less of a steamroll for me.

I think this thing is great. And it runs on a potato, so I'm playing with high graphics @ 2560x1440 on my aging RTX 580. Which is handy given the GPU market situation right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom