Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Xeon

Augur
I assume so in multiplayer the other person control the other character? maybe its easier to make it DOS1 style or something, since that game had you creating 2 party members at the start iirc.

Kinda sucks tho.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The premades have a little banter but not nearly as much as the companions, they are just there for people who don't want to deal with character creation. So it's definitely not like the origin characters from Larian.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
My Games isn’t a game pass particular folder, but rather a Windows OS folder.

You likely need to level up your PC skills.

Game doesn't create a folder inside my games folder when you install it on Xbox app through gamepass, dumbfuck. You can't even trace the executable through task manager and nvidia control panel doesn't even recognize it. Fargo's instructions were clearly directed towards the steam version of the game.

But the Wastelands 3's ´start is great it explains the gameplay
Unfortunately I was a brainlet and didn't realize the major town/hub was in the exact same spot as my goddamn base, so the newbie mission of "Talk to the sheriff" was ignored and I went off to fight cyborg tasteful rapists instead. Which then pissed me off when I learned I couldn't disable the generator running their turrets because you need mechanics 3 to turn a generator off. Fortunately, a gun is the solution to all problems and you can just shoot the damn generator and then gun down the cyborgs. Couldn't save all the caravan people since I had fuck-all medical supplies since I didn't visit town until after that.

Just to continue rambling aimlessly though, not sure how useful light armor is. The lightest newbie armor you find is 3AC, and it seems like just about every weapon has at least 3 penetration to it, even discounting penetration bonuses from stats. Maybe light armor is viable when you get legs and a light helmet and it'll provide minor protection against small arms, but how armor's handled is making me think it's going to be kinda all or nothing. Though armor mods could bump that up to viability too I guess, and I got a cyborg implant that I can't use yet which gives 4AC so maybe everything piled up means it'll have a use. Then again energy weapons ignore armor I believe so god only knows.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
PMkzUAH.png

Flaming AR of Patriotism +1

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I wonder who betatested it. There are numerous bugs, and badly thought interface decisions. It looks like MS wanted to make this game to be popular on XBOX, and WL3 developers tried theirs best to make it accessible for XBOX players. For example by shared limitless inventory.

Two quick items on belt? No they are two types of items that are linked to limitless inventory. Ammo reloads? Well, now everyone can have it in limitless weightless inventory. Turn order? Well, you can select each party member. Dunno how I feel about this feature.

A lot of things matters far less. It nearly feels like random game with random toys that are pretending to do stuff, and main gameplay is letting toys to buy new flashy weapons.

On the positive side, it killed Admiral Bahroo in second fight on highest difficulty. (Looks some streamers would be entertaining. By theirs failures.)

i came to ask what's the verdict because cockpapershitbun didn't like it and i don't trust them, but just by looking at this only page i can see you're severely divided on it. consider i never really liked the previous installment, so much grind, so many trash mobs, the party was only an excuse to spread skills and ammo types around. would i like this?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly with load times like these and the fact there is *no sort function in the inventory* it's *extremely* clear this game would be much much better with the definitive edition in 18 months.

Delayed Cyberpunk has just made gamers desperate hobos for new content is all.

The actual turn based combat part of it is pretty good though, I like it quite a bit.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragging ammo clips from one little box into a different little box is 'gameplay' I intend to spend a great deal of time not missing at all.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
I've asked some guy who posted review today and actually finished the game
Damn! Did he speed-run that shit or something?
Nah, like I said, he posted a review, I mean, an actual review on some ru-speaking site. Apparantely he had time (by the way, run took him 40 hours on non-highest difficulty, probably on ranger and w/o any rush i.e. all locations/quests etc according to his comment) and hasn't been pressed to post it say 26th like some authors.

I did not expect a parrot with tourette syndrome calling someone a shitfaced cocksucking bitch-ass cumrag.

Having a lot of fun with Wasteland 3. It is not a snoozefest like 2: it looks and plays significantly better, has good pace. Dialogue and quests so far are quite engaging and the humor, which i thought would be cringefest times ten, is pulled off quite well.

Xeon

Augur
I don't like the dialogue box, kinda wish its better, no numbering and not everything neatly displayed all at once.

No logs in WL3? like the combat logs and none combat logs and all that.

I did not expect a parrot with tourette syndrome calling someone a shitfaced cocksucking bitch-ass cumrag.
probably why cockpapershitbun were all butthurt over the game?

Andrew Jackson's parrot was a riot at funerals.
actively banned to attend the funeral of its previous owner for eccessive swearing. it must have been glorious.

i came to ask what's the verdict because cockpapershitbun didn't like it and i don't trust them, but just by looking at this only page i can see you're severely divided on it. consider i never really liked the previous installment, so much grind, so many trash mobs, the party was only an excuse to spread skills and ammo types around. would i like this?
I didn't really like Wasteland 2 either but I'm enjoying 3 a bit more so far. But I'm also just a few hours in so I could easily see that dropping once I get more time under my belt. Bard's Tale 4 gave a decent casual first impression too until you hit the level cap and stop finding improved gear and still have hours left in the game to complete. Wasteland 3's also primarily a game about combat, so non-combat skills are definitely feeling sidelined. You'll get bonuses and goodies for having them but I haven't seen much in the way of accomplishing major tasks without combat yet. PROBABLY wouldn't be happy if I bought this for $60, but for $20 or whatever the crowd funding price was, s'ok. Had a few major combat bugs (One requiring restarting the game, the other just fucking up a character's turn and then making him run farther than he had AP to run, in the opposite direction, and then ending his turn) and the inventory's kinda shit (Using tabs to sort helps) too.

I don't like the dialogue box, kinda wish its better, no numbering and not everything neatly displayed all at once.
What the fuck is up with the dialog box, anyway? You have to click to advance every line. Except in the first person talking heads moments. It's the weirdest fucking thing. I don't really mind it but that's pretty fucking nonstandard it threw me for a loop.

7A439A211CECC4BC9B9F45357741679DE64345AC

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did inXile get paid by Snickers to put that in the game or at least permission? A lot of companies tend to be wary about product placement in controversial things. :M

Same goes for Chips Ahoy too apparently.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Pleasantly surprised by this so far. It suffers from poor build diversity, especially now that non-combat skills are deterministic, meaning that optimized parties should look very similar due to coverage. Also, whoever designed that interface should be fired (this seems to be a recurring theme with InXile).

That said, the soundtrack rocks, C&C and reactivity are seemingly abundant and sometimes even gave me pause to ponder (although this can only be truly judged in repeat playthroughs). The hub is well realized and has character, reflecting your accomplishments, and you have a good degree of freedom to choose where to go and when. Combat has options aplenty, from deployables, grenades and consumables to elemental effects and charging mechanics that can unleash different effects depending on weapon type. The arenas where fighting takes place tend to be bland and cover placement seems poorly thought out to me, but encounters tend to be brief and enemy variety is good, with unique boss enemies sporting individual mechanics.

I wouldn't say this is deserving of the highest accolades, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly. It's an easy pick for someone who enjoyed the second installment.

Edit: I'm only ten hours in, so caveat emptor and all that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom