Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 3 Dev Diary #2: The World, Story & Characters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; inXile Entertainment; Nathan Long; Wasteland 3

The second episode of inXile's new series of Wasteland 3 dev diaries, again premiering at IGN, is about the game's characters, factions and narrative. It's presented by Brian Fargo himself along with Nathan Long, who it seems has once again found himself the last man standing after the departure of all the other major writers. Together they introduce some of the setting's major players, including the Reagan-worshipping Gippers and their leader Mother Nancy Reliance, who control Colorado's oil supply, and the amiably corrupt Sergeant Kwon, the party's liaison with the Patriarch's police force. Brian Fargo's favorite character however is the psychotic Victory Buchanan, who we met in the Wasteland 3 backer alpha. The Patriarch's equally bloodthirsty daughter Liberty Buchanan makes an appearance in the video as well.

According to Nathan, Wasteland 3's narrative should feel more cohesive and less episodic compared to that of its predecessor. While in Wasteland 2 you discovered the conflict over the course of the game, in Wasteland 3 the premise is presented to you from the outset, but you won't necessarily know which side to believe. Naturally, reactivity is still a major focus, including multiple endings similar to those in Wasteland 2. Brian says the reactivity will be better telegraphed and reinforced in Wasteland 3, so that players feel like the world is always watching (something that George Ziets also talked about last year). In summary, it sounds promising.

Lhynn

Arcane
Some cuck says they want to make it just like wasteland 2 at around 1:05, thats where they lost me.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Brian Fargo introduces the character Vic Buchanan, a level 18 Psychopath, that he describes as "batshit crazy", who creates havoc wherever he goes, doing "horrible things to people"; Vic Buchanan looks like Chris Avellone with purple hair.
:hmmm:

Gregz

Arcane
If they release something on the level of Wasteland 2 DC, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

It seems easier for inxile to completely fuck things up (Bard's Tale 4) than to make a semi-decent game.

jac8awol

Arbiter
That's my dream, be a successful old guy who wears pyjamas all day and talks with excessive hand gestures

Bigg Boss

Arcane
In some ways this looks good but it might be something I have to play on my PS4 because this computer is so old it will likely have issues. Just saying that sounds disgusting but I am taking donations. Send old computer parts.

Deleted Member 22431

After all these years, Fargo still doesn't understand what makes cRPGs tick, because he is still blabbing in cinematic terms.

What he really wants is to make a triple-A game.

Scratch that. What he really wants deep down is to make an action movie. You see, he is just like Chris Roberts, but with less ego and funds.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
What he really wants is to make a triple-A game.

694940074001_6007895441001_6007373051001-vs.jpg

What he really wants deep down is to make an action movie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom