Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #29: Delayed to Spring 2020, Scotchmo Conversation Scene

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 3

inXile published a new Wasteland 3 Fig update shortly after yesterday's Microsoft E3 show ended. As I said, the game's trailer didn't announce a release date, and the reason for that is that it's been delayed to next year. The good news is that the backer alpha will be out as soon as August, with an Early Access beta release coming shortly afterwards. Anyway, speaking of the trailer, you'll be glad to hear that Scotchmo's appearance in it wasn't custom-made CGI. He will be a character in Wasteland 3 and what we saw in the trailer was his "talking head". The update includes a short video of an in-game conversation with Scotchmo, featuring a standard RPG dialogue tree including skill checks. I'll post that here along with an excerpt from the update:

A Postcard Arrives

E3 is upon us—that special time of year when you learn about new games, or more about the games you’re most excitedly waiting for. We’re happy to be delivering some of the latter, with a new, pre-Alpha look at Wasteland 3 from an old pal and returning character from Wasteland 2. We’d love to hear your thoughts.

In addition to the return of Scotchmo and an extended look at the post-nuclear landscape of Colorado, we’re announcing a new launch window of Spring 2020. That’s down to the fact that, thanks to our relationship with Microsoft, we’re able to hire more staff and spend more time realizing our vision for Wasteland 3. All in all it means a little more time to get things right and deliver the experience we want, and the one we know you expect.

We also have new screenshots to share over on our Wasteland 3 page on the inXile site so you can get a closer look at some of locations glimpsed at in the video.

Alpha, Early Access and Release

We’re pleased to announce two more release windows; ones we’re asked about almost as often as when the game itself is coming out.

Our backer Alpha will arrive August, 2019 to those who pledged in the First Access and higher tiers. Early Access (sometimes referred to as Beta) will be arriving in late Fall, 2019, and is for all backer tiers with the exception of the Correspondent tier.

The Alpha will be a first opportunity to play around with many of the game’s different systems in a guided experience, with the Early Access providing a bigger chunk of the game to check out. In both cases, they’ll be your opportunity to provide us with feedback that we can use to help make the final game that much better for everyone.

As mentioned above—but it bears repeating—our launch target for the full game release is now Spring 2020.

One Last Treat
Finally, we wanted to leave you with one last treat. We’re happy we were able to reveal Scotchmo’s triumphant return in the E3 trailer, and wanted to share a look at how we’re bringing Scotchmo back for Wasteland 3. show how the character originally evolved in Wasteland 2, the iteration work he went through in early production, and finally an extended video snippet of a player conversation with him. Again, please remember that everything you see, from graphics to audio to UI, are all pre-Alpha.

And here’s an extended look at the model, animation, and VO for Scotchmo. The dialog UI is very much temp in this video, but provides an example of the type of dialog options you might see in the final game. Our artists want to reiterate that this is of course an early look with temp UI, in-progress lighting, model, and everything else. However, we'd still love to hear your feedback!

Thank you again for your backing and support of the game. We couldn’t have gotten this far without you. We’ll see you again soon with some more Wasteland 3 goodies, including drill-downs on some of the core gameplay pillars and systems. Stay tuned!

inXile are taking the Wasteland 3 alpha to Gamescom in August, so we'll hear more about the game then if not earlier. For more details about the alpha and beta releases, see the FAQ in the full update.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Spring 2020? The same time when Cyberpunk comes out???
Well, Fargo ruined Interplay before he left - and he was the main reason why Fallout rights were sold to Bethesda - so i guess he wants to do it again.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Imagine the day when an an "indie" AA RPG like Wasteland 3, Pathfinder Kingmaker or Kingdom Come Deliverance is actually release in financial quarter 3 or 4

oh wait Divinity 2 already did

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and Wasteland 3 all coming out in close proximity. But there's always a chance one of them gets delayed to summer.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked Scotchmo in WL2. Haven't been able to watch that talking head yet but I hope that they will be able to maintain his charm.

I didn't play the directors cut of WL2 so I have actually never heard his VO. It's fascinating that written dialog without VO was more than enough to portray characters.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
they should fire the idiot baby who wrote that text (using ’ instead of ' )

hexer

It says pre-Alpha in the conversation test video.
Isn't it a bit too late for that?

Sacibengala

Prophet
WL2 was the game that made me realize that without magic spells and stuff, RPG combat can be pretty boring, I sure hope 3 has more abilities or something.
WL2 was the game that made me realize that without good design choices, RPG combat can be pretty boring. I hope that the WL3 has some kind of good job made, or something.

mindfields

Learned
WL2 was the game that made me realize that without magic spells and stuff, RPG combat can be pretty boring, I sure hope 3 has more abilities or something.
WL2 was the game that made me realize that without good design choices, RPG combat can be pretty boring. I hope that the WL3 has some kind of good job made, or something.
How much can you really do in combat though if you've only got guns and melee weapons?

Sacibengala

Prophet
How much can you really do in combat though if you've only got guns and melee weapons?
I prefer to let my fellows experts in Jagged Alliance 2 and the like to respond that.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Yep to make the last battle more or less exciting they had to just send wave after wave of respawning enemies or how about the ONLY boss in the game (Scorpion robot). Shame because some quests, characters, voice acting and writing overall was pretty good.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So, after those years of development... characters will finally change appearance based on their armour or will your team still look like retarded hobo group through the whole game? :D

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I finished W2 and I have no idea who Scotchmo is.

Crazy, alcoholic hobo sidekick who blurts goofy one-liners and is as likely to hit your party with his shotgun as the enemy.

Guess they've decided he is the series mascot, like Misnc and Boo in BG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom