Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #5: The Cathedral of the Holy Detonation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 3

The latest Wasteland 3 Fig update, written by George Ziets, is about one of the game's factions - the Cathedral of the Holy Detonation. Yes, it's the obligatory post-apocalyptic nuclear cult. At least this one has a curious technological artifact at its disposal, which appears in one of the concept shots produced by The Brotherhood. George has written a short description of the cult's abode, written from the perspective of an in-game Ranger unit's scouting report:

Scouting Report from Advance Team [REDACTED]

To: [REDACTED]

Per orders have continued to maintain low profile in Colorado. Have changed bivouac location frequently, mostly avoiding hostile contact.

On [DATE REDACTED], PM, located apparently disused Air Force (AF) facility. Preliminary scouting indicated strong possibility for temporary shelter - one advantage being that locals steered clear. COLONEL [REDACTED] suggested full recon before establishing base camp.

We entered facility through maintenance door. Hand-drawn map enclosed. Proceeded to stairway labeled S1, leading down. Found some evidence of recent habitation - scattered papers, books, etc.. Most had been marked with mathematical formulas. Five (5) samples enclosed. Remainder in lockbox at [REDACTED].

Stairway descended into cavernous space beneath main floor of AF facility. No persons or animals appeared. Examined space thoroughly. Appearance suggested underground testing lab from before the war. Team unable to ascertain its precise dimensions due to walls and platforms that had been constructed apparently randomly throughout the area. The walls were primarily of stone and wood, like a medieval church or cathedral. SERGEANT [REDACTED] examined a few of the walls. Says they’re new construction - possibly past two (2) to three (3) months.

In center of chamber, fireball of plasma, appx. twenty meters (20m) across, suspended in midair. Fireball showed no sign of expansion, contraction, or movement. Geiger counter registered high levels of radiation. SERGEANT [REDACTED] suggests that it may have been some sort of arrested nuclear event.

At this time, team heard unidentified persons approaching and retreated to a concealed position. Group of appr. 15 potential hostiles entered. Subjects were a mix of males and females, some with missing limbs. Exposed flesh of subjects was blistered and red.

Potential hostiles remained unaware of our presence. Young female subject, appx. 25 years of age, was in their center. They spoke to her and touched her left arm - perhaps in ritual manner? Could not overhear speech clearly, but seemed like numbers and equations. Young female climbed a nearby platform and walked to the edge of the fireball. Skin began to blister and burn. At this point, she recited a series of mathematical equations in a loud voice. Tone was deferential, as if addressing senior officer or other lawful authority.

When finished, female subject thrust her left hand into fireball, up to the elbow, incinerating her limb. Subject was not heard to cry out or give any indication of pain. However, her comrades screamed and shouted in celebration. Add’l potential hostiles began to arrive from other entrances, so COLONEL [REDACTED] ordered an immediate retreat.

SUMMARY: Identity of potential hostiles remains unknown. We intend to avoid AF facility for foreseeable future per orders to avoid enemy contact. Expect add’l report in five (5) days as we continue our reconnaissance. Team [REDACTED] out.
In other news, inXile have been running the usual social media gamification routine for Wasteland 3, starting from the second day of the campaign. The rewards so far haven't been too interesting, but the next one adds a flamethrower-type weapon called the Spitfire to the game, which seems more important. If you're interested in participating in that stuff, see this update.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I liked the writing on this update alot, made me interested on the location and built curiosity something which the Tyranny updates failed really hard to achieve.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The writing looks good, but then again we will also have talking cars, multiplayer, etc. We need to have in mind that W2 also had some nice bits of writing, combat and reactivity. The problem was the overall package, which was awful. Honestly, if W2 were completely awful I would hate it less, because it wouldn’t be such a huge missed opportunity.

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
I think Fargo will deliver. He's a salesman but he listens. For example, we wanted Morgan's music - he gave us Morgan's music. Now he invited those talented stasis brothers. He's pushing his own agenda but at least trying to be in touch with his crowd.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, that makes sense. Can someone with a twitter twit InXile or relevant employees and ask them if they can confirm or deny the hire of prosper and/or the purchase or illegal possession of his AI?

I smell another exclusive scoop for the Codex front page...

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think Fargo will deliver. He's a salesman but he listens. For example, we wanted Morgan's music - he gave us Morgan's music. Now he invited those talented stasis brothers. He's pushing his own agenda but at least trying to be in touch with his crowd.

On the other hand, we wanted a good CRPG with C&C and we got Wasteland 2, so...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Even people who have interest can't be that enthused for what amounts to fanfic by the actual author. People want to see game.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
We need to have in mind that W2 also had some nice bits of writing, combat and reactivity.

I assume it was all in the mythical post-Arizona where everything gets good.

Not really. For instance, the dialogue with Min Liang about shit in the ranger citadel is awesome. Scotchmo is an awesome NPC. Three encounters at the prison are great. The real problem of W2 is that the many bad ideas prevail over the few good ideas. W2 seems like that movie that has a great concept but a horrible execution. What it’s annoying about this is not just that the result is not good, but that you know that it could be better if the creators didn’t fuck it up. This leaves you with a bad taste in the mouth.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
WL 2 was good for what it was. I backed it, I don't feel cheated, but I'm not inclined to pay again in advance - I will wait for the Reviews this time. With the exception of Ziets everything of this Game sounds mediocre to me.

MechMessiah

Novice
I got WL2 by backing TToN at 92$, but didn't play it yet. Did I lost something?
And, frankly, i am not ready to spend another ~30$ on game, that will be ready (hopefully) in 3 years.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Play some Final Fantasy Tactics and kill half your party and the entire enemy party in turn one with the power of mathematics.
Oh man, you are right! I completely forgott about the
AtdM0AR.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom