Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Zorba the Hutt, Sep 28, 2016.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Welll....depends. In W2 if you play a renegade the game will end many, many hours sooner than the "correct" path, effectively cutting you off from the majority of the California content. I suppose you can call it "more interesting", in a way, but I wasn't amused.

In general tho I agree with you ofc.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    If you ignore the hype speech, it seems like the system is one akin to Div:OS. So more customization and stuff to do in battle compared to the first one, but still something fairly sub-mediocre. I guess it's something, though.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Mediocre compared to what? What exactly is your standard here? What are all the isometric RPGs with a better TB combat than DOS and W2DC?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    We're talking about character customization, not that I agree they have great TB combat either

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Official release:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1251

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This feels so over the top wacky now. Melee that explodes?!

• incline incline x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    there is literally nothing wrong with this

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Wasteland was always wacky.

• meh meh x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Eh. Disagree that this is of a piece with the type of humor from the original game. Wasteland was wacky, yes, but it had an internal consistency and within its own setting took itself seriously. Occasional easter eggs are one thing, but adding fourth wall-breaking "fight game" mechanics to a primary gameplay style is indeed way over the top in comparison. I'm not pitchforking over it but I agree with Alienman that they missed the mark tonally. It's fine, it's different writers, properties evolve.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah the vibes I'm getting from this are all wrong. The art style and tone looks as if the game was build with the Angry Joe crowd in mind. Everything is kraaazy and cooooloooourful and aaaaweesooome woooooow. Ffs, it looks like postapo for 12 year olds.

And what the fuck are those goofy robots portraying your stats? Is this a Nintendo game?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Have you played Wasteland 2? It was random zany lulzyness all over the place. Don't really see how this feels out of place

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Wasteland's writing is uneven and inconsistent. One minute it's serious business post-apocalypse, the next it's loony toons rules.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wasteland 2 didn't feel this wacky.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    W3 feels like W2 with the wackity of Tides of Numenera. Combat improvement is very welcomed. Combos could only enhance the gameplay.

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Super saiyan limit breaks are definitely unusual for a post-apocalyptic isometric RPG, but I say fuck it - somebody has to try it. Let one game try going full post-apocalyptic D:OS and let's see how it's received.

But the game is not light-hearted or for 12 year olds, the intro scenario is edgy af.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Yeah W2 was shit,but this redemption ark is worst.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Just curious, talking about Wasteland, Wasteland 2, Wasteland 3, or all three?

^ Top  
  18. AArmanFV Arbiter

AArmanFV
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Yeah, things like the bunny master, the engineer saying the brakeman was nuts for suggesting arcaic methods like the use of an engine to pull the train, the guardians with the visa cards signs and the cultists sounds silly, but not in the setting of Wasteland. Fargo's self inserts, the self references in Needles downtown and the Apple running Wasteland 2 are just "easter eggs". Then we have the fake parragraphs, with the first breaking the fourth wall, but doesn't interfere with the game narrative anyways because was a joke to the player trying to cheat. The only really wacky event in the game I remember is when you blow the hot dog stand with the howitzer.

The thing is Wasteland's "wackyness" never broke the rules of its own world. The exploding melee it's too much, maybe would pass if it's after a "supreme jerk" levels of grinding a skill or something else, like it's not a normal thing everyone could do, but if they are showing it in that video then it's clearly not a unlockable secret gimmick.

Anyway, I don't really have a problem at all with it.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Retcon Raider Literate

Retcon Raider
    I think it's safe to say you'll be able to screw yourself over via story decisions. There seem to be plenty of opportunities to make terrible decisions, with potential consequences attached. You can also really screw up the CNPCs, I suppose, since they're unique characters and there's no respec option.

But I'm not sure you'll ever really be able to screw over your rangers via character builds. Once you unlock your new base, you have a potentially infinite supply of fresh new recruits who come in at a level close to your current squad average. If you really mess up a custom ranger's build, you can just replace them with a shiny new one.

^ Top  
  20. Mud' Learned

Mud'
    Hold up, you can have an infinite source of recruits? That was one of my main complaints of W2 where iron-man felt impossible since if your companions died, you were shit out of luck.

Also when they mention that you can screw yourself over, i wonder what they mean with that, is it something like "oh shit i am hostile with everyone and the character i need to progress the story is in the city where everyone is going to try to kill me" or something akin to Fallout New Vegas where no matter what you do or fucked up, you have Yes Man to finish the game.

As for the game itself, the vibe it gives from the trailers and so is just...so off putting for some reason, i really dig this type of setting and combat and it seems leagues better combat wise than W2, however the DBZ tier punching, the wacky stuff and...i guess this left such a bad impression on me that i just dont want to read or know anything about W3, i mean what the fuck were they thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaTmSTxzD6k

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    They are obviously going for SUPER COOLNESS with explosions and whatever, which is admittedly a bit off putting... But the game it self seems really promising.
    Looks good, nice fluid TB combat, decent char gen and itemization.. I can live with the wackiness if everything else works.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

https://expansivedlc.com/wasteland-3-will-be-the-best-wasteland-yet/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

is Wasteland 3 a fantasy JRPG now?

• Yes x 6
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mud' Learned

Mud'
    Cant wait to kill post-apocalypse God with the power of friendship.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. TT1 Magister Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Guys, I am a little bit confused here... Our Fig keys were delivered already? Its the same key as the beta keys or will be another one?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.