Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: inXile Entertainment; Wasteland 3

Our community was extremely angry at inXile when Torment: Tides of Numenera was released in 2017. By the time The Bard's Tale IV rolled out in 2018, that anger had mostly given way to pity and apathy. The truth is that inXile lost their credibility with the Codex a long time before that, which is why very few of us contributed to the Wasteland 3 Fig campaign when it ran way back in late 2016. The game seemed vaguely vaporwarish for the longest time, with what appeared to be frequent turnover on its design team. Famously, none of the three individuals "recruited" by Brian Fargo in the pitch video saw its development to completion. Mostly it was just ignored. Yet inXile's surprise acquisition by Microsoft late in 2018 ensured that Wasteland 3 would see a polished release, and over the past year the game finally won a degree of cautiously positive attention thanks to a solid alpha and beta.

You've seen the hype trailers and the fancy dev diaries. You've seen the review scores. Now it's time for what was originally going to be the final game of Brian Fargo's career to pass the most challenging test of them all. Without further ado, here is the launch trailer and release announcement:

The long wait is over, Rangers.

The Wasteland 3 Fig campaign concluded at the end of 2016, and in the almost four years since then we’ve worked hard to make that promise a reality. Hopefully with the release of Wasteland 3 we’ll have met and exceeded your expectations.

Whether you’re a backer from the old days or you’re just now checking it out on Game Pass, we welcome you to our dark, funny, and gritty view of a post-apocalyptic Colorado. We invite you to take you first steps into the challenging tactical combat, and dozens of hours of deep story full of colorful characters, twists and turns, and brutal ethical choices. You’ll have to make choices and live with the consequences because Wasteland is a series all about reacting to your decisions, and there will be plenty of ways to change the course for Colorado and its people.

We’ve already had reviews rolling in, and the team’s been excitedly sharing 5/5 and 9/10 review scores with each other. But regardless of how the game is rated by press, we’re most excited to get it into your hands and hear what you think. So be sure to follow @Wasteland on Twitter, join the conversation in the inXile forums, and let us know how you’re enjoying yourself.

Thank you again to our backers, our fans both new and old, and any fans out there we’ve yet to meet. Your support and feedback are extremely important to us, and we look forward to continuing to support Wasteland 3 for the foreseeable future.

Wasteland 3 is now available across PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 (rolling midnight release), as well as with Xbox Game Pass. Head over to Wasteland3.com, and join us in our post-apocalyptic winter wonderland.

Wasteland 3 is available on Steam and GOG now for $60. That's quite expensive, so if you weren't a backer we recommend that you instead rent the game from the Microsoft Store using Game Pass. I suspect that may be what Microsoft is trying to encourage by setting their prices so high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silva

Arcane
That YT pic makes them look like Power Rangers.

Other than that, I don't have anything against poor 3d gfx if the game is good. If it has good C&C, fun combat and decent story, it's enough for me.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I preferred the Wasteland 2 art style. The characters in 3 look more like out of the latest hero-shooter/battle royale game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I preferred the Wasteland 2 art style. The characters in 3 look more like out of the latest hero-shooter/battle royale game.

I much, much preferred Wasteland 2's aesthetic. I guess Microsoft money also increased the size of all the weapons and armor in-game as well.

jac8awol

Arbiter

I much, much preferred Wasteland 2's aesthetic. I guess Microsoft money also increased the size of all the weapons and armor in-game as well.

It's like they all stepped out of Mass Effect, except for the homeless guy with the claymore on the end there.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why rolleyes ? I am not reading excellent story , highly tactical turn based game, i am reading decent and not too dumbed down. Hard to get a boner with that.Like finding some murky water pool after crossing the desert.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok so played for a few hours, restarted a few times, finished the first mission and reached the new Ranger HQ. Several thoughts:

Game looks good, running it on my 2 years old laptop and it runs nicely, nothing spectacular. NO crashes so far.

Attributes are the same as before, only you get fewer points to allocate to em at start, BUT at lvl 3 you get 1 attribute point per level, seems OP at this point (used to be every 5th level in Wasteland 2)

Skills are still numerous, some got axed, some got merged
- there are many weapon skills, as for the changed that i can see, energy weapons/armor? are now under general skills
- social skills got changed a bit, smartass is gone, so now you got kissass/hardass, barter and leadership
- sneaky shit skill is a merge of perception, stealth and alarm disarm (sounds weird, i know)
- weird science is an amalgamation of energy weapons and im guessing energy armor pieces / gadgets or something
- explosives, besides the obvious disarming role, now also governs the usage of RPGs

NPC interactions are no longer with keywords, now you get complete sentences, but console influence is visible. BUT there is a lot of skill usage in dialogs.

Quirks got changed, several are the same as W2, but most of em are new ones

Character creation is nicely done, everything is slick, presentable, and with a nice blue/black/white color

Lots of options for char customisation visually, altho a good portion of the facial looks make the char seem mentally retarded

Playing on Supreme Jerk difficulty and managed to get my ass killed on the first fight, so thats a good point i think. Not much hand holding

A lot of swearing in the game, got me cracking up a few times (HOLEEEE SHEEEET quote was priceless)

Will post more as I go, but so far it got me hooked and already thinking about builds, etc. ATM i do NOT regret the purchase

willkydd

Novice
Character has 5 options what to say. Can only see two at a time because console "design". No gameplay or story is worth this level of stupid imo.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Character has 5 options what to say. Can only see two at a time because console "design". No gameplay or story is worth this level of stupid imo.

Havent tried this, but i saw an option for reducing text size, maybe that would fix the dialog scroll. Will try later today

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Wasteland 2 was one of the most disappointing rpgs I've ever played, right alongside pillars of eternity 1 and dragon age 2.

Will follow people's impressions with curiosity as to whether w3 is an improvement or not.

tindrli

Arcane
damn right about that. it was totally oposite of everything i imagined from w1. started well with mysterious signal and 15 mins later it was... huge dissapointment

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2 was one of the most disappointing rpgs I've ever played, right alongside pillars of eternity 1 and dragon age 2.

Will follow people's impressions with curiosity as to whether w3 is an improvement or not.

My opinion might not be very valid for you as I never disliked Wasteland 2 (nor did I think it was that great either).

Personally I'm enjoying Wasteland 3 more so far, but then I'm only a couple of hours in. The writing and setting seem more interesting. Fair bit of corniness, but it feels different to the really over the top Larian style of humour.

Two biggest annoyances for me are load times and the unresponsive UI. Buying/selling items makes me pull my hair out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This one's on ineptile.
outer%20world%20review%20gamecrate%20dialogue.jpg

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Not that I give a fuck about Fargo's isometric consolized mediocrity but out of curiosity does his game run on W7? (I saw a review on GOG claiming that it does)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is so meh after playing 4+ hrs. Good it came with game pass, would have been waste of money otherwise.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 3 is available on Steam and GOG now for $60. That's quite expensive, so if you weren't a backer we recommend that you instead rent the game from the Microsoft Store using Game Pass. I suspect that may be what Microsoft is trying to encourage by setting their prices so high.
Who's "we" are you giving purchase advice on behalf of the codex?

Also the whole newspost is written like some PR crap. Stop trying to sound "professional".

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom