Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Wasteland Kickstarter Project Interview with Brian Fargo

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

InXile CEO Brian Fargo got quizzed by NMA on his planned Wasteland 2 kickstarter project.

Brother None reports:
In an interview with No Mutants Allowed, InXile CEO Brian Fargo talks indepth about his plans regarding the crowdfunded Wasteland game his company is planning. Mr Fargo explains how the game will be top-down, and notes that it being party-based with turn-based combat "is an absolute critical requirement to me". Among other tidbits, he also reveals none of the money raised on Kickstarter will go to his personal salary, only to the team and outside contractors.

Here's a snippet from the interview:

Does a Wasteland project being an RPG create any problems since RPGs are generally more complex and expensive to make, or does it being a hardcore RPG make it more similar in budget and niche appeal to DoubleFine's Adventure project?
There is no question that RPG's are on the more difficult side of the scale to create on a tight budget. It isn't a real RPG if it doesn't have deep cause and effect and true re-playability and that means you create more assets than a player will see in a normal session. We do have the advantage of this being a top down game which saves tremendously on the art creation which in turn allows us to script out numerous outcomes without the concern of creating graphics for every possible situation. Artists can spend months on a single 3D model in a 1st person game and that would make a lower budget title impossible. We also have the advantage of knowing the base mechanics from the first game which saves trial and error but the real key will be in the pre-production. We need to design out every locale, conversation, item and NPC before we start coding... and I mean EVERY detail. This way the game is ensured to be deep and production is kept efficient and focused. We will also use that time to solicit feedback from key hardcore players such as yourself to question us hard on the design decisions. Changes are free at the writing stage so ideas can be changed and incorporated without fear of making the budget become impossible. Also the original Wasteland team was pretty small so efficiency was key then also.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
would also like people to know that I am not personally going to take any salary from the money raised through Kickstarter. Those monies will be spent on only the team itself and any outside contractors we need to make the game.
:hero:

quasimodo

Augur
Party and turn based combat is an absolute critical requirement for me.

He has got my money.

Sul

Savant
Sounds good so far. Seems like Fargo has his head in place, now we can only wait to see if he can implement his ideas successfully.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm fucking praying to all the Gods that this works...if it does, it would show once and for all that the TB party RPG is not fucking dead and maybe all the other guys from RPG's past will join in the fun. I'll donate to this no problem, will be cool to be part of this last great experiment to stop the tide of darkness...

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Artists can spend months on a single 3D model in a 1st person game and that would make a lower budget title impossible

Here. Right fucking here, there's the official and undeniable admission that an RPG can't have FP ultrasparkly graphics AND depth together. Here.
Whenever a developer of an AAA RPG says "We're not sacrificing classic RPG elements because we polish the visuals", call "BULLSHIT!" right away and
quote this piece of interview.

/rant.

Stabwound

Arcane
I never buy games, but if this sees the light of day and looks to be going in the direction of a true, enjoyable Wasteland 2, I will gladly donate. It sounds extremely promising so far. Come on, Brian.

This whole Kickstarter thing could potentially be the beginning of a huge incline in CRPG gaming. That is, if it doesn't get completely fucked to death by every person with dollar signs in their eyes, which will probably happen.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good interview. This game needs to happen. Start asking for monies already, Brian.

Roderick

Savant
That interview left me salivating. At least he can talk the talk. This needs to happen.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Good interview. This game needs to happen. Start asking for monies already, Brian.

I think you would have to get the team and the core design ready before you ask for the money. It sounds like they already have the core design since Jason Anderson worked on it for a year and he said he has a few people to reach out to before the team is complete.

You don't want to ask for money and then not get the team you need to do the project or you would never be able to do something like that again.

I will donate to this without feeling the least bit of buyer's remorse. It sounds like he might actually have his shit together and want to build a RPG that RPG fans really want instead of going for the consoletard audience to score phat lewt.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I think you would have to get the team and the core design ready before you ask for the money. It sounds like they already have the core design since Jason Anderson worked on it for a year and he said he has a few people to reach out to before the team is complete.

You don't want to ask for money and then not get the team you need to do the project or you would never be able to do something like that again.

I will donate to this without feeling the least bit of buyer's remorse. It sounds like he might actually have his shit together and want to build a RPG that RPG fans really want instead of going for the consoletard audience to score phat lewt.

Well, yeah, obviously. It was just an exaggerated expression of enthusiasm.

And I also wouldn't want them fuck this up by rushing it out when/if they go live with the Kickstarter.

Kwota

Augur
I must say knowing current Inxile record I wasn't set too optimistic to the idea of Wasteland 2 and now after reading this interview I will watch this project more closely, god speed Brian.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
He talks the talk. I hope he'll also walk the walk.

I think he will. I always got the impression of Brian Fargo that his heart is in the right place, but he's a businessman first and foremost, so he can't really do exactly what he wants all the time. The Matt Chat interview is a good example.

Also,

Brian Fargo said:
Party and turn based combat is an absolute critical requirement for me

Take that, doubters (or the one doubter in that other thread, forgot who).

If this Kickstarter reaches its goal, I will be more excited for a game than I've been in a long time.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
They keep talking about this Wasteland 2 project as if it was real, but when will the actuall kickstarter fundraising begin? Would be pretty embarrassing if after all this talk it turned out that they can't even reach half of their pledging goal or something like that.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them of course, prolly donate some small amount myself.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
He's actually going through with this?

I hope he realizes that the Psychonauts 2 thing was a fluke.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And now for the good news: Steam exclusive!

Just kidding, put down the pitch forks.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Take that, doubters (or the one doubter in that other thread, forgot who).

Probably me. But it looks like I was wrong. I hope.

You're not wrong. Even if the interviewee says all the right things to tickle your prostate, you have to be wary.
To me, all upcoming games are shit until proven otherwise (either by the faintest of gameplay videos or a demo).

Never let your guard down, lest you be buggered by fate unawares.

Mr Fargo explains how the game will be top-down, and notes that it being party-based with turn-based combat "is an absolute critical requirement to me".

Fuck, I'm awakening in parallel universes again! GUYS, GUYS, quickly, did Fallout 3 get done by Black Isle in this universe? QUICK BEFORE I RETURN TO EARTH-1! GIVE A ANSWER AND IF YES THEN A LINK QUICK, THE (OTHER) CODEX DEPENDS ON IT!!!

If he does what we said, then my money is his'. Then I will bring my copy of Wasteland 2 to the main universe and share it with the Codex. Then they will elevate me to status of LIVING GOOOOOOD!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom